Start by marking “Scars (Scars #1)” as Want to Read:
Scars (Scars #1)

Scars

(Scars #1)

Caleb always knew that his work was dangerous. For years, he'd thrived on the adrenaline rush, the danger thrumming under his skin, the tangible efforts of his labor a secondary reward when the flames flickered away to nothing and he was able to save a building, or save a life. He'd thought that the Johnson City Fire Station 10 was his home - until he got caught in a build ...more
Published January 29th 2017

To ask other readers questions about Scars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scars

~Volha~
Jun 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
*3.8 stars*

This was a nice read. Even though there were subjects mentioned that should have induced extreme emotional response that was not the case for me. But I enjoyed it nonetheless. It's one of those books you want to read in between some hardcore tear jerker novels.

Caleb is a shell of a man he used to be, a man who can't look at himself in the mirror, a man who is bitter and lonely. He moves back to his hometown to start a new life but can't escape what he's become. He hides away and does
Gigi
Feb 20, 2017 marked it as friends-say-no
Friends didn't like this one.
NeRdyWYRM
Jun 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-on-gr
Jilrene
I liked it, but didn't love it.

The entire story takes place after Caleb's accident and hospital stay. If you're looking for firefighters, this book doesn't really go there.
namericanwordcat
I liked but didn't love Caleb's and Henry's romance.

It was bumpy ride which makes sense given the circumstances they were building from.

And Caleb was too often a jerk and who he was before the accident was pretty shallow and I would love like to have seen him grown from there. Some of the secondary characters act strangely.

I would have liked to see emotionial connection have more page time.

Henry fumbles but I like him a great deal and the book ends up in a good place. Though, I think they all
Kim
Jul 28, 2018 rated it liked it
New to me author. This is a mm contemporary story. Good storyline but let down by poor editing.
Vfields Don't touch my happy!
Broken men are my kryptonite so naturally, Scars by Avery Ford should be an easy win for me. But alas Caleb the damaged firefighter was a guy I never really liked. On the other hand, Henry I absolutely fell in love with. Henry has had a past that was traumatic and is rebuilding himself from the bottom up. Despite all that I never really felt the drama of his past. I understood what happened but I didn't feel it. His parents were weird. Also Caleb really for me was such a self-centered douche I n ...more
J. Rocci
May 02, 2017 rated it did not like it
I really wanted to get into this story. I had my own expectations going in and that's on me as a reader. The blurb piqued my interest - a romance between a badly injured firefighter battling PTSD and a shy doormat type learning to assert himself while recovering from an abusive relationship.

To be frank, I had a very long, angry rant written detailing the issues I had with the handling of the subject matter, characterization, and plot in this book. Instead of being that negative, I'm just going
*~*~Fawkes, Padfoot, and Prongs~*~*
Attacking another one on my KU list :-)!
Pati
With a good editor this could have been a good book. However, it's just blah. Seriously this has what should be serious subject yet they were used only as tools for a story. It also erroneously used the medical bills and lack of income which was ridiculous because workers comp would have been covering those things. Domestic violence was also just used as a reason for his actions but was just blown off. SMH... I could go on but I'd rather not waste any more time. Sadly, I already bought the next ...more
Altivo Overo
Jun 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Almost believable

A good story with a good resolution, if a bit too perfect for real life. Henry and Caleb are certainly real even if some of the situations are a bit too slick and perfect. An author worth watching, I think.
Denise GremoryKohta
Jan 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing. Caleb and Henry both have been through traumatic events that have left them scarred. Watching them both rebuild themselves and each other is a wonderful journey. Beauty can hide scars just as much as scars can hide beauty.
Claudia
Jan 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: hurt, scars, traumatized
lovely read
It was great to see all Caleb and Henry faced to get to the point where they could trust each other and their fellings. great book
Amazonaute
Jun 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Enf. Basic. Too much telling not showing.
K.K.
Nov 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
A story about a former firefighter who became a burn survivor and a younger man who survived a traumatic abusive relationship. Emotional but a little dragging. Overall a good book.

4 stars.
Nic
Jun 19, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: gave-up-on
DNF

I made it a fourth of the way through before completely giving up. Everything about this book, from the characters to the plot, just felt empty and shallow. The characters have a very hollow, cliched feel, and there was too much telling and not enough showing, which left me feeling disengaged from the story and the characters.
avid reader 1
Jan 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a good book. I do not think there is anything I did not like about it.
It is well researched and well written. The emotional wariness of both characters was believable and touching. The author put me into the heads and hearts of these damaged men.
Caleb and Henry had to work to rebuild their self-esteem and confidence which was damaged by their past decisions. Only by facing their emotional and physical pain could they move forward in life and in their relationship.
The narrow-minded and
Meggie
Feb 04, 2017 rated it liked it
What we have in Scars is a sweet shallowly developed romance between Caleb and Henry. Personally I couldn't connect to their feelings and emotions, because most of their past experience was told and not experienced. Even Caleb's best friend Kota, didn't appear very much in this story, even if he was supposed to be his best friend. I missed some realistic secondary stories between Caleb and Henry's daily life. Ending was full of HEA, which was great, but nonetheless it was a shallow undeveloped r ...more
Seth
This was my second book from Avery Ford, and coming on the heels of my first (Rescue My Heart,) I had high expectations. In the end though, I was disappointed. The premise of the story has tremendous promise, and the characters are both rich and likable... but the pieces don't connect well, and things get very repetitive.

Before I even get into my beef with the plot... while I realize that covers for these books are by necessity similar and over simplified... why would a story where one of the t
Brady
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was ok
This book needs more work. There were point of view switches and the language was laid out in a way that was super confusing. I liked Caleb and Henry, but only just. There were characters that were inserted without a purpose like Crews. The conflict Henry and Caleb had with Kota wasn't resolved at all unless you count presenting the idea that they worked it out as a resolution. I didn't feel like there was a climax. My emotions were not pulled into this story at all. It is really unfortunate. Ho ...more
Peter
Jun 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
Repetitive and cliched (Three times we read 'Their hearts beat as one"). Feelings are not shown, but explained to us. And repeated. Then repeated four pages later. The English is no more than adequate. "Laid" is consistently used where it should be "lain", though this may be ignorance rather than poor editing. The story has potential - someone with outer scars and someone with inner scars heal each other - but it could be made so much better. Two stars rather than one, because I did actually man ...more
Wendell Hennan
Jul 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Caleb is a firefighter who was severely burned rescuing two young children. He has returned to his home town to live in his parents house as they have retired to Florida. Henry has left a physically abusive relationship and is living with his parents until Kota the town police officer introduces them. Henry rents a room from Caleb and they begin rebuilding their lives. A happy ever after story.
Lauren at Live Read and Breathe Reviews
I remember thinking it was decent while reading it, but the longer I left to do my review the easier it was to forget everything about this story making the story and characters become sadly forgettable.

When I went back to skim the book, the more it came back to me but still forgettable. I did like Caleb and Henry but they didn't leave a place in my heart.
RICHARD EVANS
Jun 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Heartfelt romance

It was a good read, characters were nice and it was written very well. The reason I don’t give it five stars is because I didn’t feel like there was a lot of development between the characters. They just kind of saw each other and from that point on you knew they were going to be together.
KEN
Jun 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Some are hidden from view, others as plain as day

I enjoyed this book tremendously. I loved the chemistry right from the first encounter. People always expect the worst and hinder their own happiness. I want sure of the out come but the characters were awesome and I enjoy seeing growth of people and the human spirit. This book does not disappoint the reader on that front!!
DeeNeez
Jun 15, 2018 rated it liked it
I actually liked this story. Both Henry and Caleb are both survivors of trauma. One from abuse, the other physically burned from fire. So this story is about rebuilding a new life vs letting the past define them. I really liked that both helped build each other’s self esteem. (Seriously, in real life, they both should have had counseling from their traumas)
Kirbie
Aug 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful Story

This story was beautiful my heart broke for Caleb and what he went through and for Henry I could just cry no one deserve to be treated that way I'm glad he got out of that situation I'm glad Henry parents came around moving on is not easy but they got thorough all of that and I'm happy that get a happy ending
Feloidae *The Bookworm*
I liked this one but honestly it lacked a bit finesse in the plot. The whole issue with the scarring of one MC or the past abuse of the other could have been explored more.

It's a good read anyway so I would recommend it.
Kristin Grella
Mar 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Loved it!

Another great book by Avery Ford. This was a heartbreaking and beautiful love story. It drew me in from the very first page and I couldn't put it down. I absolutely loved Caleb and Henry and I didn't want their story to end.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Silver Scars
  • Seth and Casey
  • Found at the Bookstore (Found #2)
  • Beyond the Surface (The Breakfast Club, #1)
  • Final Admission
  • Black & Bluhe (Out of the Blue, #2)
  • A Healing Man (Men of Manhattan, #5)
  • The Dilemma (Sirius Wolves, #5)
  • Never Too Early: The Beginning  (Never Too Early, #1)
  • Michael's Awakening (Awakening, #1)
  • Rescuing Jack (A Forever Home #1)
  • Feat of Clay (Men of London #4)
  • Magic Runs Deep
  • Unquiet (Resilient Love #3)
  • Gasping for Air (Game Day, #2)
  • Moving On
  • Subjection (Demoted, #1)
  • See (Ripples In The Water, #1)

Scars (3 books)