Start by marking “Biggles of the Camel Squadron” as Want to Read:
Biggles of the Camel Squadron

Biggles of the Camel Squadron

(Biggles #3)

PRE-ISBN.
No date of publication stated.

Fictional (based on fact) stories of experiment, trial, and error in the Royal Flying Corps, in World Wat 1 (The Great War):

CONTENTS:
The Professor Comes Back
The Great Arena
The Dragon's Lair
Biggles's Day Off
Published 1968 by Dean & Son (first published 1934)

To ask other readers questions about Biggles of the Camel Squadron, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Biggles of the Camel Squadron

Start your review of Biggles of the Camel Squadron
Manny
Dec 08, 2009 rated it liked it
(Inspired by the lead story, "The Professor")

Wittgenstein of the Camel Squadron

1. Let us consider an individual, we may call him L, who joins a World War I fighter squadron. L says to himself that there is no problem. Aerial combat is merely geometry; one projects the trajectories of the two aeroplanes and the machine-gun bullets, and computes the appropriate times and angles. But when he describes these reflections to his new comrades, he is met with howls of derision. Why?

The rest of this
Olivia
I have happily returned to the world of Biggles. This one, unlike my last review, did not disappoint. It was much like the first two I read. Biggles, a fearless pilot, is still fighting the Germans during the First World War.

At first I thought this one would have the same things happen again like the others, but a few new characters were introduced (gotta love the Professor and Hartcourt) and the chapter when Biggles crashes at the British lines (during a fierce battle) was epic and unique.

A
^
Oct 06, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to ^ by: my grandfather
Thanks to Capt. W.E. John's first-hand knowlege, his text is highly evocative, both in the detail of strategy, machinery, logistics, and above all in the language he uses.

Though he portrays war in the air as an adventure (remember: this is a childrens book), he does describe moments of sickening uncertainty; he does not trivialise war. His young reader is left older and wiser. By comparison, many childrens books published today seem thoroughly childish and lifeless.
David Hambling
Apr 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Old School adventure done properly - jolly good show. Easy to mock, hard to copy, simple but technically meticulous stories give a fascinating insight into early flying - seen from a very particular perspective.
Also, very much darker than the 'jolly japes' image might suggest. Death, loss, grief and the futility of war are not far from the surface. Well worth a read.
Gerry
May 09, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Biggles is involved in 13 different action-packed incidents in 'Biggles of the Fighter Squadron'. It is towards the end of World War I and he has to be at his best to devise some outrageous, cunning and desperate schemes to down some German ace pilots, to rescue some of his pals or simply to stay alive to fight another day.

For instance he teaches a cocky young pilot, Henry Watkins fresh out of flying training, how to attack the Germans and return safely. Watkins, who does shoot down a German
Tim Gray
Feb 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Few characters span so much time so well, and I remember how much I loved this book having read some of the WWII adventures and detective books before it. If like me you have not read the earlier books first, pick this up this is not a prequel - it's a birth of a hero!
russell barnes
Feb 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-youth, ww1
I want to be 12 again...
Andrew Ives
(1956 hardback edition?) This is the third Biggles book that I've read and my favourite so far. Unlike the other two, this is a collection of 11 short stories and an interesting foreword. The stories are about as varied as a collection of stories starring a WW1 pilot could possibly be and surprisingly educational and action-packed for something written so long ago. About 3/4 of the way through this 215 page book come The Funk, The Professor Comes Back and The Great Arena, which I enjoyed the ...more
Wilson E. Stevens Sr.
Aug 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
This is a collection of World War One English Flying pilots that is attributed to the fictus pilot Biggles. In WWI they started by dropping rocks on the german trench's as they flew over them, and moved up to 20 pound bombs loaded on the bottom of the wings. There were no rules or guidelines, so it was any thing goes, and try any thing. This is a fun read and shows the development of aerial warfare in the modern world. Fun read, and a must for any one interested in History.
Kim
Jun 03, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 stars I enjoyed this book very much. It was interesting an eyewitness account of the early times of war aviation. Weird to think they had no radios and had to communicate visually with basic hand signals.
Gerard Mc Mahon
Jul 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
First real book I ever read (in 1960 at age 8) - 1956 Dean hardback copy without the dust cover - my teacher had a little class library. I duly read all Biggles, followed by Gimlet, mostly as 2/6 Armada paperbacks.
Lee Perry
Jul 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My first Biggles book and this book would lead me to collect many of the other stories. Without a doubt a real fictional hero and was an inspiration to my love of aircraft and military history. A childhood favourite! An adult fond memory.
peter coates
Apr 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every schoolboy should read this book to get some understanding of WW 1

Excellent book. All Biggles books are first class reading with a touch of reality. Every one a thoroughly good read
Nobi Nobes
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant! I loved it!
Chris
Oct 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
It's Biggles, it's part of my childhood, and it's fun (within the context of a beastly war)
Spurnlad
Nov 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One from my childhood. You can't beat Biggles...

I had a first edition of this, the first Biggles book, when I was a kid; wonder what happened to it?
J Grimsey
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Boys (and girls) own stuff and nostalgia for a 64 year old - read in 2 sittings, Cost me a 1 - worth every simple penny ...more
Ginevra
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love Biggles!!!
Anthony Peter
Mar 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
I read a lot of Biggles when I was young, and then one day I finished one and thought 'I've had enough of that'. I'd have spotted the formulaic gung-ho plotlines, I guess. However, I recently read a review of a biography of W E Johns which suggested he was not quite the simple soul the Biggles books might have suggested to me all those years ago.

So I got hold of an early collection of Biggles stories which has an introduction by Johns which makes it clear that the stories are all based on
David Sarkies
Jul 31, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: adventure
Somewhat darker than the other World War I short stories
4 August 2013

I'm not sure if I can say all that much about Biggles after reading this book. For some reason I simply could not get into it the same way that I got into the other WWI Biggles books that I read. Okay, he does crash a couple of planes, and does deal with the Germans a couple of times, but for some reason this book seemed to be a little ho-hum, and also a little darker as well. Okay, a number of the stories were a little light
Amarjyoti
Jun 02, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone who like flying paper planes.
All of the Biggles series are interesting. I had an earlier edition in the 1980's and have read nearly all of his series. W. E. Johns does a capitaving work. For every one who love flying paper planes.
Edwin
May 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jeugd, 2016
Verzameling korte verhalen uit Biggles WO1 periode. Een van de verhalen, de professor komt terug, lijkt erg veel op een al eerder gepubliceerd verhaal.

ben niet echt een fan van deze korte verhalen, maar hier zaten wel goed te lezen verhalen bij.
Daniel Bratell
Aug 06, 2016 rated it liked it
A collection of 13 short stories, very similar to the first Biggles book.

He is the same daredevil, has the same berserker mode, and is the same super hero.
Ashkhan
Jun 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: general-fiction
Easy to read adventures of the famous pilot.
Bill
Feb 08, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-reader
Read during Primary School, along with every other Biggles book I could get my hands on!
Sanoo
Jul 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great series of classic books, but might be very hard to find all in reading order unless you know what you're doing. Great boost in grammar. 5/5
Michael Kidd

• The Great Escape
  • TekWar (TekWar, #1)
  • Any Minute Now
  • Lieutenant Hornblower
  • A Pelican at Blandings (Blandings Castle, #11)
  • Flashman (The Flashman Papers, #1)
  • A Very Special Year
  • A Clubbable Woman (Dalziel & Pascoe, #1)
  • First Light
  • The Eagle Has Landed (Liam Devlin, #1)
  • Arnhem: The Battle for the Bridges, 1944
  • The Deportees and Other Stories
  • The Travelling Companion
  • Keeping On Keeping On
Invariably known as Captain W.E. Johns, William Earl Johns was born in Bengeo, Hertfordshire, England. He was the son of Richard Eastman Johns, a tailor, and Elizabeth Johns (née Earl), the daughter of a master butcher. He had a younger brother, Russell Ernest Johns, who was born on 24 October 1895.

He went to Hertford Grammar School where he was no great scholar but he did develop into a crack

Biggles (1 - 10 of 126 books)
  • Biggles The Camels Are Coming