Start by marking “Night Driving: Notes from a Prodigal Soul” as Want to Read:
Night Driving: Notes from a Prodigal Soul

Night Driving: Notes from a Prodigal Soul

Journeys that begin in brokenness rarely follow a straight road to healing. There are twists and turns—and setbacks—on the path of repentance.

Night Driving tells the story of a pastor and seminary professor whose moral failures destroyed his marriage and career, left his life in ruins, and sent him spiraling into a decade-long struggle against God. Forced to fight the demo
Published October 11th 2017 by Eerdmans

To ask other readers questions about Night Driving, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Night Driving

Start your review of Night Driving: Notes from a Prodigal Soul
John F.
Nov 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I met Chad when I arrived at Concordia Theological Seminary in Fort Wayne, Indiana in December of 2003. I didn't have Chad as a Professor until the Summer of 2005 when I took Hebrew I & II. I talked with Chad on various occasions. He was, is, and always will be my friend, my brother, and my teacher.

Night Driving: Notes from a Prodigal Soul is an outstanding book. I cried throughout most of it. I did not know my brother's pain until now. I still have questions about the whole ordeal which will pr
Josh
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best books I've ever read. I can't recommend this enough. The author uses a clear message of the gospel, his personal history (mostly of failure), and beautiful language (it feels poetic at times) to discuss topics such as repentance, the church, doubt and vulnerability. I can't wait to read his next book coming out in January.
Rich
Dec 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Thought provoking book. Difficult to read more than a chapter at a time because of the necessity to reflect on what he says.
Kris
Chock full of gospel. Only complaint I have is that it’s too short. I also would have liked to hear more details about the timeline of Chad Bird’s life, but that’s no cause for complaint. This is not a tell-all testimonial book used to make readers feel guilty. It’s gospel.

Bought at the 2018 Here We Still Stand conference in San Diego, CA.
Zachary Cole
Mar 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If this book by Chad Bird is not in your top 10 "Want to Read" list you are wrong.
Caitlin
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I received this book in exchange for an honest review.

In Night Driving, Bird writes about his own moral failure and his journey back to God. Wow. I was blown away by this book. The writing is so raw and real, to a point of making you uncomfortable at times. Bird takes you into the heart and mind of a prodigal. All of the dark corners that we like to ignore. If you are in ministry, you need to read this book. I cannot recommend it enough.
Shane
Dec 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a brutal, devastating, and honest account of the author's personal, far-reaching sins and failures. Ultimately, however, it a beautiful, Gospel-soaked, and spiritually refreshing account of the limitless grace of God in Christ. It's a brief book, and well worth the time for anyone who struggles with sin and a seemingly less than "victorious" spiritual life. It is medicine for the stricken soul, applied by one sinner to another.
Jenny
Short read but packs a punch. It seems this book came to me at the perfect moment in my life and I'm grateful for Chad Bird's realness. He had made a mess of his life and it's clear from reading his story that there's no way he would have been able to pull himself out by his own strength. I'm grateful the Lord worked in his life the way He did so I could read about it, be encouraged, and be pointed to Christ.

These are some of my favorite lines:

...great paradoxes of the gospel. It's all about us
Boundless Book Reviews
I appreciate that Chad Bird shared all the stories from his personal life. His mistakes were lessons we can benefit from. However, it didn’t read as such. The personal stories were all over the place in no particular order. The presentation of each lesson understood as just that, a lesson. I wasn’t able to feel with, or for the writer. Chad shared a little emotion, but just not enough to make him relatable to me, as a reader. The scriptures read were relevant to each lesson, but there were too m ...more
Ann Gemmel
Apr 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Profound and brutally honest book on Chad Bird’s life/spiritual journey. One of the strongest gospel books I have read in a long time. At times so painful to read and other ways glorious as Chad clearly lands so firmly in the unrelenting grace of God. Chad’s unfiltered confession and honesty reminds me much of Brennan Manning. Yes - it’s that good of a book. Just might order me a case to pass out to others needing a reminder of just how deep and wide and relentless is the love of the Father to H ...more
Alisha
Dec 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-again
I loved this book and cannot recommend it enough.
With class and wisdom Chad Bird transparently shares how success, well-meaning work for God, and chasing ‘the dream’ brought him face to face with pride, adultery, and the fragility of having it all together. What I loved the most is that Chad doesn’t use himself as a standard for the reader to measure themselves by. He doesn’t advertise false humility, nor is Chad marketing a way to turn one’s life around.

Night Driving: Notes From A Prodigal So
Anna
Dec 10, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
There were some good parts in this book - passages that I highlighted and reread several times because they spoke so much truth. Or maybe just what I needed to hear at that moment. Other parts not so much. The whole of the book wasn't as good as the sum of the parts could have been.

Chad's story is raw and vulnerable and will certainly speak to some.
Scott Carter
Aug 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Chad Bird, Night Driving: Notes From a Prodigal Soul. (Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 2017). $16.99.

In Night Driving: Notes From a Prodigal Soul, Chad Bird tells his own story as a husband, father, pastor, and seminary professor as his moral failures tore apart his life. Without going into great detail, he explains his struggles against God and ties his own story to that of the prodigal son. If you want to see what it is like to open up and peel back layers of denial, anger, addiction, and grief, then
Doug Dale
Jan 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian
As I've recently been reading through Genesis, I've been struck by how the lives of people we paint as biblical 'heroes' in Sunday School stories lived lives full of sin: drunkenness, deceit, sexual immorality, and more. Their lives are not recorded there as examples of "upright living", they are instead examples of failures that we all face, to show us the grace of God, who works in the middle of the muck and mire we get ourselves into for his glory and for the good of those who trust him throu ...more
Warren Benton
Chad Bird went from having everything perfect in his life, being a pastor, a professor at a seminary, a husband, and father. But he was pushing himself too hard. His perfect exterior started to crumble.

This book is post-fall. He had two failed marriages and many reasons to give up faith. But as he says the nice thing about becoming a truck driver is you have lots of time to your thoughts.
Liberation is often difficult for the captive. It is hard for them to break with the world they know. Bird
Sara Gorman
After hearing Chad speak at a conference, I knew I had to read more of his work, and follow him as a speaker and author. While this is the first book of his I picked up, it certainly didn't disappoint. Not only does Bird translate difficult Bible texts into the vernacular of today, but he also frames the stories in a way that makes them more relatable to our 21st century. While this is more of a reflection of his life, and what he learned along the way, there were a number of places that I could ...more
Joshua Vallejos
Dec 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shew.

Probably the best book I read this year.

Chad Bird writes raw reflections on his failures, suffering and wrestlings. It is refreshingly honest, harkening the tone and tenure of the psalms.

Transparent and relatable, and he points the reader to sustainable and humbling hope.

Had he elaborated on a few points for clarities sake, I would have awarded it 5 gold ones. Perhaps I’m being a little extra critical because I enjoyed it so much.

Dona
Mar 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A great book about God's forgiveness told through the voice of a husband, father, pastor, and professor who is thrown into guilt and despair when his sins come to light. Although he doesn't realize it at first, God is always reaching out to us, running to us like the father in the parable of the Prodigal Son so we can see that He loves us and that we are forgiven no matter what we have done.
Nicole
Oct 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Exactly the book I needed to read - particularly the chapter "The Community of the Broken" - after a rocky decade within my very broken (but very loved) congregation and spending too much time following the social media infighting within my denomination. I especially loved the beautiful and apt description of Holy Communion on pp 124-25. I checked this out of my library, but will purchase it.
Ken
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-grace
Well written - compelling - grace-giving - Christ our substitute and redeemer who reaches to his straying sheep with compassion - himself choosing to meet us in the darkness. It might seem to good to be true - but this is a needed antidote to the treadmill of religious performance much of the church offers.
David
Jan 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One man’s journey through darkness

Chad Bird was set for a career in academia. Then his life took one bad turn after another. God was there through it all, walking with him even though Chad didn’t want to believe it. This book is Chad’s story, but it is your story and mine as well. Gods grace covers the greatest of sinners.
cindy townley
Mar 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Book Club book. A short read. Chad's story how he his life fell apart. But is it everyone's story. How Jesus is there for us always, no matter what our sins are. How the Bible is full of sinners like us.
Very raw and real. Just wish there would have been more on his life after he found his way back to Jesus.
Sivkishen Sivkishen
Jul 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Night Driving is well written by Chad Bird that movingly peels back the layers of denial, anger, addiction and the art of his presentation certainly helps the readers come face-to-face both with their own identities and with the God who alone can heal them…Sivkishen Ji
Edward Durand
Oct 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Short quick read. Chad is surprisingly open and honest about his rise, fall, and road to the light. He shares in time in the darkness and makes it clear that we all at times will experience the darkness. Eye opening and a good read.
Francess
Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent!

A book full of the grace and love of God. A grace that sets us free. Love this quote from the last chapter...Look at your scars and cherish them. They are icons of divine love. They are transfigured by the grace of the God who will always call us by one name: Beloved.
K B
Oct 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A bold-face honest approach to the fall of a man and his Savior whose kindness leads to repentance.
Michael Gibney
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great and painful story of redemption. The book reads you as much as you read it. Thanks Chad.
Jennifer Huppert
Raw and Truthful

It’s a book about his fall, repentance, and coming back home. I liked the OT analogies, as they were good reminders. But, he also brought out the Gospel.
James
Oct 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book. Very gospel saturated, reminding the reader that Christ does not abandon his own, even when we run.
Francois Smith
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book meant a lot. Brutal honesty about failure and the wonderful grace of God. I was deeply encouraged and also instilled with a lot of hope. Big gratitude to Chad for sharing his story.

• Adorning the Dark: Thoughts on Community, Calling, and the Mystery of Making
  • Spurgeon's Sorrows: Realistic Hope for those who Suffer from Depression
  • Seculosity: How Career, Parenting, Technology, Food, Politics, and Romance Became Our New Religion and What to Do about It
  • The Sinner / Saint Devotional: 60 Days in the Psalms
  • Jayber Crow
  • Monsters: Addiction, Hope, Ex-girlfriends, and Other Dangerous Things
  • The Weekend
  • Crucifying Religion: How Jesus is the End of Religion
  • On the Road with Saint Augustine: A Real-World Spirituality for Restless Hearts
  • Unfollow: A Journey from Hatred to Hope
  • Authentic Christianity: How Lutheran Theology Speaks to a Postmodern World
  • The Youngest Day: Shelter Island's Seasons in the Light of Grace
  • The Puzzle of You
  • For the Life of the World: Sacraments and Orthodoxy
  • Recovering Eden: The Gospel According to Ecclesiastes
  • Call Sign Chaos: Learning to Lead
  • Something Needs to Change: A Call to Make Your Life Count in a World of Urgent Need
  • Without Flesh: Why the Church Is Dying Even Though Jesus Is Still Alive
Chad is an author and speaker devoted to honest Christianity that addresses the raw realities of life with the gospel of Jesus Christ. He has served as an assistant professor of OT theology, contributed hymns to the Lutheran Service Book, and cohosts the popular podcast “40 Minutes in the OT.” He holds Master's degrees from Concordia Theological Seminary and Hebrew Union College. In addition to wr ...more

News & Interviews

“In every instance, forgiveness morphs into a self-serving tool of manipulation we use to control other people. Inside our clouded minds, we convince ourselves we’re doing what’s ultimately best for us.” 1 likes
“The forgiveness of the Father doesn’t wait for us to demonstrate adequate, sincere repentance. It doesn’t let us humbly accept a servant position in the household, or a chance gradually to earn our Father’s favor again through a life of obedience. Christ’s forgiveness precedes our repentance—and calls it forth.” 1 likes