Start by marking “Fierce Kingdom” as Want to Read:
Fierce Kingdom

Fierce Kingdom

3.52  ·  Rating details ·  14,744 ratings  ·  2,689 reviews
An electrifying literary thriller introduces an unforgettable mother and son, whose simple trip to the zoo one afternoon is transformed into three hours of terror and survival after gunshots ring out. What would you do to protect the ones you love?

After school on a late October day, Joan has taken her four-year-old son, Lincoln, to one of his favourite places on earth: the
Published July 4th 2017 by Random House Canada

To ask other readers questions about Fierce Kingdom, please sign up.
Christi Poulsom There's not that much about the animals in the zoo; a few have been killed but its not graphic. However there are a couple of quite unpleasant…moreThere's not that much about the animals in the zoo; a few have been killed but its not graphic. However there are a couple of quite unpleasant references to animal death / cruelty outside the setting which will stay with me, and they weren't even necessary to the plot. Having said that, I would still recommend the book - when it starts about cats and later goats just skip a paragraph or two.
(less)

·  14,744 ratings  ·  2,689 reviews

Deanna
My reviews can also be seen at: https://deesradreadsandreviews.wordpr...

2.5 Stars

I really struggling with a rating for this book. I think I landed on 2.5 because I was caught up in the story and had to know how it was going to end. However, I did have some issues with it.

When I read the description for Fierce Kingdom I was really looking forward to reading it. It sounded like it was going to be an intense read.

Joan is relaxing with her four-year-old son, Lincoln in one of their favorite areas
Miriam Smith
Jul 03, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: twitter
When an ordinary day at the zoo turns into a nightmare, Joan finds herself trapped with her beloved 4 year old son. She must summon all her strength, find unexpected courage and protect Lincoln at all costs – even if it means crossing the line between right and wrong!
As a mother myself, I couldn't imagine the horror of trying to protect my children from gunmen trapped in a zoo and it was this frightening thought that kept the storyline going for me as I needed to see how the ordeal ended. Once m
Diane S ☔
3.5 They spent many happy days at the zoo, Joan and her 4 year old son, he playing with the action figures he lived. The playground at the zoo, and the zoo itself were wonderful places to mother and son, until the day that changed. The day, when after the announcement that the zoo was closing, and they hurried to the exit, Joan saw bodies and saw a man with a gun. Now her only thought is to keep her son safe.

What I liked: the novel set in actual time, the times posted at the beginning of each se
Arah-Lynda
Jun 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Here it is evening already.  Evening!,  and I haven’t even thought about the dirty dishes or unmade bed, never mind dinner.

I have been in the Zoo with Joan and her precocious four year old son Lincoln.   They are hiding in the porcupine enclosure.  In the primate zone.

There are armed gunmen out there in the zoo who are killing people.

They are hidden from view but must remain very quiet.  She must keep Lincoln calm and engaged, hushed and still.   Calm and engaged.  Not shot.  Not dead.  Focus
Linda
The ol' Animal Kingdom.

Some species walking on all fours in cages. Some species walking on two and needing desperately to be caged.

Gin Phillips creates a familiar environment known to the majority of us: spreading landscapes of various attractive foliage surrounding outdoor and indoor exhibits; animals from the colossal in size to the very miniscule harbored in settings of man-made imaginings. The viewers and the viewed.

A shady enclosure in the woods at the edge of the zoo is the ideal place for
Cheri
Aug 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

3.5 Stars

There is a moment, in the beginning, where sweetness reigns, the innocence of youth, those moments where parents are reminded of the sweetness, innocence and goodness that abounds in their children in those snippets of time.

”’Do you want a nose, Mommy?’ he asks.
‘I have a nose,’ she says.
‘Do you want an extra one?’
‘Who wouldn’t?’
His dark curls need to be cut again, and he swipes them off his forehead. The leaves float down around them. The wooden roof, propped up on rough round timber, s
Britta Böhler
Intriguing premise but the execution was rather 'meh'. Pity.
Carol (Bookaria)
This is a suspenseful novel that takes place entirely during a few hours of fear in the zoo.

The story is told from different points of view but the more prominent character we spend time with is the mother of a four-year old child. The novel was thrilling and well-written but I was disappointed by the ending.

Initially, I resisted reading the novel because the cover reminds me of a circus and circuses have always creeped me out. I'm not referring to the Cirque-Du-Soleil type of circus, I'm refer
PattyMacDotComma
Kind of Hunger Games in the zoo. Mother and four-year-old son are at the end of a tiring day after one of their regular visits to the zoo. Lincoln seems to be a bright, somewhat different little boy who’s quite clingy, but then again, Joan is pretty clingy herself. As they’re on their way out, she hears pops and cracks – fireworks? But we're aware of what we’re reading, so we know better.

She’s on her way to the exit when she spots some bodies on the ground, so she spins around and backtracks,
Katie
Sep 18, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This could have been such a good concept, but I was so so so bored. Video review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h70B_...
Zoe
Jul 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Gripping, intense, and downright eerie!

This is an adrenaline-filled thriller that brings a mother’s worst nightmare to life and explores the anxiety and terror involved in protecting one’s child.

The characters are a mix of protective, determined and strong, and young, callous and ruthless. The writing is compelling and sharp. And the plot, which is told in real-time over a period of three hours is bursting with tension, angst, violence, fear, panic, instinct, and survival.

I have to say that ove
Brandice
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I’d been looking forward to reading Fierce Kingdom since it first came out a few years ago, as the premise of this suspense story intrigued me. Unfortunately, it wasn’t as good as I’d hoped. The story takes place over one evening, where Joan and her 4 year old son, Lincoln, get trapped in a zoo, when a group of gunmen enter in the early evening as the zoo is about to close.

I read this book in two sittings and enjoyed the first sitting (approximately one half of the book) more than the second, b
Liz Barnsley
Apr 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow Fierce Kingdom is like a rocket launched right at you - beautifully written, highly tense, this is without doubt a one sitting read (I rattled through it last night) and it is so utterly gripping I was slightly dazed when I came back out of it.

This works on many levels - first of all as a thriller, with our protagonists trapped in a Zoo not knowing when salvation might come - and then as a really emotive relationship drama that shows the maternal bond in all its glory - how far would you go
Rachel Hall
A brilliant premise which immediately gets readers hearts racing and beads of sweat forming, Fierce Kingdom tells the nail-biting story of Joan and her four-year-old son, Lincoln, trapped inside Belleville Zoo with a gunman on the loose. Whiling away the hours until closing time, Joan and Lincoln are in The Dinosaur Discovery Pit, a woodland sanctuary away from the more popular zoo attractions that compete for attention. Drifting away, with her mind half on Lincoln's superhero chatter and half w ...more
Dennis
Disclaimer: This is probably the hardest review that I've submitted since I activated my Goodreads account.

3 stars
The story takes place in real-time, with the plot unfolding within two or so hours, at a zoo featuring Joan and her 4 year old son Lincoln. Joan and her son are about to wrap up their trip to the zoo when something has gone drastically wrong, sending her to hide with her son and plan for a means of escaping. Fierce Kingdom engages the audience by exploiting the love that a paren
Wendy
Sep 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
A grippingly fierce and emotional story about a mother and her young child on a perilous adventure.
Joan and her 4 year old son Lincoln are on one of their frequent visits to the zoo. Right before closing they hurry toward the exit until they are stopped in their tracks when they hear and see something horrible. Someone at the zoo has opened fire.
What follows is a suspenseful three hours of running, hiding and doing everything possible to escape becoming victims themselves.
A thrilling, rollercoas
Erin
Jan 27, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kobo
This is one of those reviews where I am relieved I waited until morning to write my reactions. I was completely engrossed in this highly dramatic situation where a mother and her 4 year old son have to hide from three gunmen who have taken over a zoo. Gin Phillips just kept me turning the pages and all I had wanted to read was a chapter before bed.

BUT as page turning as the story was, it suffers from lingering effects of unresolved issues. In the beginning, it's a mother protecting her son and
"She is trying to work herself back into the right mood to talk to him—quiet, as quiet as possible—to make everything normal and alright. A considerable part of parenting is pretending moods that you do not entirely feel. She has thought this before when she’s listening to little plastic people act out a battle scene for hours at a time, but now it seems like maybe all those eternal battles were a good thing—maybe they were practice. She is good at pretending. She will start doing it again any
Beverly
Jan 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A quick read, this novel, explores what a mother will do to protect her child. Meant to be a fun day at their favorite spot, the zoo, 4 year old Lincoln and his Mom, Joan, stumble upon horror. Protecting him through this nightmare is her only thought.
Eliasdgian
Βραδυφλεγές, αγωνιώδες μέχρις ενός σημείου, αλλά ως σύνολο αποδείχτηκε μάλλον ανέμπνευστο. Το δίχως άλλο, δικαίωσε τις περιορισμένες μου προσδοκίες (2,5/5).
Sam (Clues and Reviews)
I have been eagerly anticipating the release of Fierce Kingdom, by Gin Phillips, for MONTHS; I had read multiple posts during the blog tour for the UK release and it shot right up to the top of STAFF PICKS at Chapters-Indigo upon its release in Canada, but since the US released it later on in July and I was reading it with Jessica and Chandra for one of our July #cjsreads picks, I held off for as long as possible! Now that I have read the title, I feel as if the hype is justified but feel like t ...more
Purple Country Girl (Sandy)
Thank you to Netgalley for providing a copy of Fierce Kingdom in exchange for an honest review.

I was on the fence about picking up Fierce Kingdom due to the mixed reviews but I finally decided to give it a try. I really wanted to like this one but, for a book that comes in under 300 pages, it felt much, much longer. I thought it would be a fast-paced, suspenseful read about a mother and son trapped in an active shooter situation. I got the last part right but it was not fast-paced nor was it ove
Richard
Sep 16, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thrillers-us
Sounds drift from the entrance of the zoo - 'Two cracks, then several more. Pops, like balloons bursting' and so begins the nightmare for Joan and her four year old son Lincoln. They are trapped in the familiar surroundings of their local wildlife park as an 'active shooter' incident unfolds.
Fierce by Gin Phillips is an unusual thriller in that the timeline develops at roughly the same speed that you read the book. The whole story spans only a few hours.
A minute by minute account of the experie
Trevor
*I received an ARC from Goodreads First Reads in exchange for an honest & unbiased review. Many thanks to Viking Books, Random House & Gin Phillips for the opportunity.*

I'll admit I struggled with this one. The premise is fascinating - examining the lengths a mother will go to in order to protect her son when a group of shooters enter the local zoo. What ensues is a 3 hour duration of sheer panic as Joan must figure out how to keep her & her son, Lincoln, alive. Told in alternating
Dannii Elle
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. Thank you to the author, Gin Phillips, and the publisher, Viking, for this opportunity.

This book has the terrifying premise of following the perspectives of the multiple individuals involved in a terror attack. The intimacy the reader is provided to this horrifying event marks this a tragic and sorrowful read.

It may appear unfeeling to state that I didn't 'enjoy' a book with such an appalling premise and I don't mean to sound flipp
JanB
Aug 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Joan and her 4 year old son, Lincoln, are at the zoo nearing closing time when Joan realizes she's living every parent's nightmare: shooters are on the prowl in the zoo.

Joan scoops up Lincoln and gives in to her first impulse: run. Eventually she can’t continue and must find shelter and hide. As she hears the gunmen closing in she uses her ingenuity to find shelter in varying spots. As a mother, I physically felt Joan’s terror, my muscles tensed, and I found myself holding my breath until I knew
Suzanne
3.5*

A psychological thriller in which one of the most terrifying scenarios plays out. This was an intense read and to be honest I am not too much into the genre but the rave reviews leaded me to read this book. I actually enjoyed it! It is a fast read that can be read in one sitting easily.

Be aware though that not every characters survival or whereabouts is even answered at the end so there are loose strings that will make you look at the end for more pages.
Kate Olson
Sooooooo. I'm rating this book as 5 stars because it provoked SUCH a visceral reaction from me, and because I read it in 2 hours and couldn't put it down even though I wanted to. BUT, I wish I hadn't read it. As a teacher who suffers severe anxiety before, during and after mandated ALICE trainings at school, and as a teacher who has MAJOR thoughts on such trainings that I can't post publicly on the interwebs, this book was a massive trigger for me. I highly expected to be triggered as a mom, but ...more
Andrew
Jan 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller-mystery
The only reason I didn't read this in one sitting is because I had to start it right away...on the commute.

An original, gripping, point-of-view thriller about a mother and her child in perilous circumstances. Gin Phillips puts you in the middle of the story.

Also a rare book that furnished a favourite quote: "Such a system of checks and balances - parenting - of projections and guesswork and cost-benefit ratios."
Chris
Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this novel in much the same way that I savored Emma Donoghue's page-turning "Room." It's riveting, a tale of a mother's love for her little boy -- and her desperate drive to protect him from a trio of psychotic gunmen in a zoo after dark. Terrific.
Play Book Tag: Fierce Kingdom by Gin Phillips 3 stars 1 14 May 21, 2018 06:47AM
Play Book Tag: Fierce Kingdom by Gin Phillips - 4 stars 3 20 Feb 12, 2018 06:22PM
Play Book Tag: Fierce Kingdom / Gin Phillips. 4.5 stars 1 34 Jun 18, 2017 10:14PM
  • On The Gathering Storm
  • Be Ready for the Lightning
  • The Underground Railroad
  • The Blinds
  • Daniel O'Thunder
  • The Substitute
  • Beartown (Beartown, #1)
  • Alpha (Jad Bell, #1)
  • Perennials
  • Yesterday
  • The Runaway Wife
  • Every Night I Dream of Hell
Gin Phillips is the celebrated author of The Well and the Mine (winner of the 2009 Barnes & Noble Discover Award for Fiction) and Come in and Cover Me (“original and strikingly beautiful” – Elle Magazine). She has also published two middle-grade novels. She lives in Birmingham, Alabama, with her family.
“She cannot think of such things and still function, and she has needed to function, and she has never wanted to be one of those women who won't let their children eat raw cookie dough or wander a block down the street without a chaperone, and you have to manage the terror or you can never watch your child walk out the front door. And here they are where death is shoving its bloody snout in their faces, and she has not considered it, not really, because she has some vague idea of what she will unleash if she does, the great gaping chasm that will open up. That is what you do when you have a child, isn't it, open yourself up to unimaginable pain and then try to pretend away the possibilities.” 3 likes
“She doesn’t picture them as Arabic—she has been wondering, of course. But they do not sound like that kind of terrorist. They sound like young, obnoxious white men—aren’t they always young white men?—and she is not sure whether this makes them more or less dangerous than fanatics on a jihad.” 1 likes