Start by marking “Wayside School Gets a Little Stranger” as Want to Read:
Wayside School Gets a Little Stranger

Wayside School Gets a Little Stranger

(Wayside School #3)

Bestselling and Newbery Medal-winning author Louis Sachar knows how to make readers laugh. And there are laughs galore in perennial favorite Wayside School Gets a Little Stranger, now available in ebook format!  This early middle grade novel is an excellent choice for tween readers in grades 3 to 5, especially during homeschooling. Its a fun way to keep your child ...more
Published April 4th 2017 by HarperCollins (first published April 27th 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Wayside School Gets a Little Stranger, please sign up.
David I use my eyes, though you can use your fingers if you read Braille or your ears if you have an audiobook.

Start your review of Wayside School Gets a Little Stranger
karen
Nov 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
fulfilling my vow to read all the sequels i never knew existed to books i loved when i was little.

Miss Zarves taught the class on the nineteenth story. There is no nineteenth story. And there is no Miss Zarves.

You already know all that.

But how do you explain the cow in her classroom?

so, back in 2017 i decided to reread books i had loved when i was a little middle-grader, one for each month of the year. and while cheerfully on that path, i made a startling discovery: many of these beloved books o
Philip
Feb 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everybody. But read the others first.
Dad: Eleanor (the other kids will probably be here in a minute), did I tell you that this one was my favorite of the 3 Wayside books?

Eleanor: Yeah... I think so... This might be my favorite of the 3 Wayside books, too.

D: Why is that, El?

E: Um. Because. Because I like that Mrs. Jewls (view spoiler)

D: I'm going to put a spoiler around that, ok?

E: Ok. It's just hard because my favorite part's at the end...

D: Gwennie, did you know this was my favorite of the 3
Jenny
Sep 05, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I remember getting my copy of Wayside School Gets a Little Stranger from the Scholastic Book Club and getting really excited because the cover glowed in the dark! But this isnt the same cover. In this book, we get to learn more about Louis the Yard Teacher such as how his mean teacher tormented him and he even gets a little love story. A cute scene is when the kids are giving Louis advice about how to win a women over like telling her shes got eyes like the moon or bringing her candy and ...more
Christy
Loved the first two in the series as a child. Didn't know this one existed, but decided to go ahead and read this one also. Delightful like the others!
Juliana
Mar 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my first time reading this book. Not sure why I never read it but now I'm glad that I did. There's more of a linear story line to this book more than the others. The first book introduces us to the characters and has little antidotes to them, the second book continues with that, and this one expands the universe. The kids on the 30th floor seem to have the same luck with teachers as Hogwarts did with Defense Against the Dark Arts teachers! Each one is weird in some way. Mrs. Jewls is a ...more
Jinjin Mori
Sep 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wayside School gets a Little Stranger

Wayside school is a thirty floor building with no nineteenth floor. Mrs. Zarves teaches on the nineteenth floor .There is no Mrs. Zarves. Understand? Good.
Wayside School gets a Little Stranger is a creative and comical book about a teacher named Ms.Jewls and her class. In the story, Ms.Jewls gets pregnant, and the class gets many substitutes, along with many adventures.
I recommend this book to ages 6-11, though adults will find it just as comical. This book
Makayla Rehbein
May 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Here is my book I'm going to tell you about it is called Wayside school gets a little stranger. It's about a school that has to shut down for awhile to have repairs done on it. Some of the children would come by and look at the sign that was hang up on the door then they would just walk away from it. Louis the janitor would watch the kids come and go then he would get back to work on the school. When ever the school finally closed for awhile the children were sent to other school for awhile tell ...more
Ceecee
Dec 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Kids at heart
Weird, illogical, goofy and crazy, Wayside School Gets a Little Stranger is hilarious . It's just the kind of book which tickles my funny bone because it's just so, well, strange .

Your school consists of 30 stories, each story with only one classroom, and the elevator only goes up but never down. Wait, don't forget that there's no nineteenth floor but you could swear you can hear cows from there.. Your dentist is a hypnotist, and your substitute teacher has 3 nostrils. God, I just loved the
T.J.
Jun 08, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childhood
From the moment you hear Mr. Gorf (whose voice is described as a braying donkey's with a French accent) say, "Mrs. Gorf was my mommy..." You know this book's gonna be horrifically AWESOME.

Continuing the awesomeness where the previous two books left off, the Waysiders are back, post-cow, and are ready for more craziness. Another great read, and hilarious to boot. There is an extraordinarily evil substitute with a third, psychic ear, and our usual visit to Miss Zarves on the Nineteenth Floor.

Um, I
Meredith
Feb 18, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-lit
I love this book, but I find myself missing Mrs. Jewls while reading it. Still, the chapter about pets is one of the funniest things ever, and it's always good to hear more about Louis. Not my favorite Wayside School book, but that's like saying it's not my favorite kind of candy. It's still delicious, even if I like the others better.
martha
[2005 review.] Another book I loved from childhood but didn't remember much about. It's aged a bit younger than some of his other stuff -- Holes and There's a Boy in the Girl's Bathroom. It's so meta and postmodern -- he writes himself into the book as a character! And this is totally a gateway drug for surreal, silly literature.
Noah
It is interesting with the different teachers and how they taught
Ashley
Oct 08, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library, 2014, 3-stars
I had originally planned on reading all three Wayside books as close together as possible, but that kind of petered out. I think that it might be because the last two were missing the nostalgia factor the first holds for me.

I really like how clever these books are, like you kind of have to pay attention because sometime the setup is in one chapter, and the payoff is a few chapters later. And the chapter with the pets was pretty neat, naturally I had to read it a second time to make sense of it.
Sean Torres
Sep 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is amazing! Most of the time it made me laugh. It is not a long book it is just 168 pages, but only like 2 pages didn't make me laugh. So it is a pretty funny book. Even though it is only 168 pages you will still know their names because you cant just forget. I don't laugh at a lot of stuff, but this book made me laugh so hard that I almost peed in myself. Also, it really good illustrations.
Noriko
May 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Truely amazing.
The second one is better than the first one, and this one is far better than the second one. I really loved it.
Warning; Once you get your hands on this Wayside school series, you can't stop until you finish them all!
Idrishia Curnal
Sep 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought the book was great and it had a lot of detail and it explained every movement a character made and I cant wait to read the next edition.It was also cool because the school was really high and it was hard for the students to go downstairs and play.
Karen
Louis Sachar is a master storyteller. I love this book. I love everything about it; there is literally not a single thing I can think of that is wrong with it.
Jenny B
Nov 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is so great. I really can't help but laughing whenever I read the chapter with all the pets in it.
Fox
May 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The final Wayside School book...

While I'm sad I didn't read these ridiculous books as a kid, I now rest assured that I can get these books for various children in my life and subject them to the hilarious adventure that is Wayside School. A thirty-one story school with one classroom on each level. Except for level 19. There is no level 19. Just imagining the kids running up and down thirty one sets of stairs is a pretty great image.

I think this book was the one that got the most laughs out of
Nolan Pennington
Third time's the charm even when the charm has already charmed twice! Everything you knew before or thought you may know or didn't understand comes to a head. Trying to explain the plot or lack thereof in these books is like interpreting a Picasso and explaining its significance. Everyone will come out with a different interpretation and/or with a different meaning. With that in mind this entry still feels like a third installment of a larger story. It's best to come in to this world knowing ...more
Jane
Mar 27, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finished reading it before reading time next week for the grandsons (via FaceTime). It always helps to know ahead of time what is going to happen in a book.
Dan
My son loves these books. Some of the stories knock it out of the park and some are duds. Overall a good collection.
Tobias
This book was so HILARIOUS. It is one of the funniest books that I have read.
Kelly
Aug 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Such a cute series fun of weird and wacky characters and happenings.
Suzette
Oct 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My kids love these wacky stories from Wayside Elementary School. They keep us laughing from start to finish!
Sara
Maxs pick for family book. ...more
Jeanette Frank
Oct 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely love this non-traditional novel to read aloud to my third grade class. From cows filling the hallways, to substitute teachers this book has a laugh for everyone. This is one of the few stories I read aloud during the school year that my students are fully and utterly engaged in the story. I read this out loud and then allow my students to take accelerated reader tests on it afterwards and even my student who are preforming below grade level are getting 100% on the AR tests! I use ...more
Charlotte
Mar 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I would give 5,000 stars if I could because I love this book. It is very funny!
Parker the Llama
This book is hilarious! It's super funny and a little dorky (in a good way!) . I also am a person who likes to laugh, so I love it!
Jack! 7 37 Dec 31, 2014 02:48PM

• Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle's Magic (Mrs. Piggle Wiggle, #2)
  • Fudge-a-Mania (Fudge, #4)
  • My Teacher Flunked the Planet (My Teacher Is an Alien, #4)
  • Cupid Doesn't Flip Hamburgers (The Adventures of the Bailey School Kids, #12)
  • Pippi Goes on Board
  • Amelia Writes Again (Amelia's Notebooks, #2)
  • Little House on the Prairie (Little House, #3)
  • Forever Amber Brown
  • Amelia's Notebook (Amelia's Notebooks, #1)
  • Snowbound Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #13)
  • Superfudge (Fudge, #3)
  • Ramona Forever (Ramona, #7)
  • Double Fudge (Fudge, #5)
  • The Witches
  • Stick Dog Gets the Tacos (Stick Dog, #9)
  • Otherwise Known as Sheila the Great (Fudge, #2)
  • Charlotte's Web
  • The Boxcar Children 1-4 (The Boxcar Children, #1-4)
Louis Sachar (pronounced Sacker), born March 20, 1954, is an American author of children's books.

Louis was born in East Meadow, New York, in 1954. When he was nine, he moved to Tustin, California. He went to college at the University of California at Berkeley and graduated in 1976, as an economics major. The next year, he wrote his first book, Sideways Stories from Wayside School .

He was working

Wayside School (6 books)
  • Sideways Stories from Wayside School (Wayside School #1)
  • Wayside School Is Falling Down (Wayside School #2)
  • Sideways Arithmetic from Wayside School (Wayside School #2.5)
  • More Sideways Arithmetic from Wayside School (Wayside School #2.6)
  • Wayside School Beneath the Cloud of Doom (Wayside School, #4)