Start by marking “Predator: If It Bleeds” as Want to Read:
Predator: If It Bleeds

Predator: If It Bleeds

An anthology celebrating the 30th anniversary of the PREDATOR franchise, IF IT BLEEDS includes seventeen brand new, never before seen stories--exclusive to this collection--featuring the Predators throughout space and time. Based entirely on the original films, novels, and comics, PREDATOR: IF IT BLEEDS (a quote from the original movie) reveals the Predators stalking prey ...more
Published October 17th 2017 by Titan Books (UK)

To ask other readers questions about Predator, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Predator

Start your review of Predator: If It Bleeds
Ben Brown
The promise inherent in a “Predator” anthology would seem to be sky high…so why did “If It Bleeds,” which is comprised of 16 short stories by the likes of such greats as Tim Lebbon, Steve Perry, Kevin J. Anderson, Mira Grant, John Shirley, and Jonathan Mabberry, among others, ultimately leave me feeling so…meh?

I suspect it has something to do with the fact that, for all of the variety in settings that the stories may have – including stories set in the far-flung future, 9th century Norway, Viet
Lena
Oct 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Predator Fans

Predator is one of my favorite movies so I had to read this the second it came out! I was not disappointed, this was a consistently good time.

My favorite stories were the Predator through history:
Vikings vs Predator
Samurai vs Predator
Civil War plus Predator
Vietnam War plus Predator
I ate this up.

There were also several clever stories of people using the Predator to their advantage:
Abused kids lure Predator home
POW rescues Predator
Pretend to kill Predator... and then let it kill everyone Else
Greg Stillwagon
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: predator
This is OUTSTANDING. I have all the Predator books and I have enjoyed them very much. This one however, is just wonderful. The Predators are tough, vicious yet honorable. The stories are placed throughout history and are fast paced and great. Usually collections of short stories have a few "dogs" in them .... this book is FULL of good reads. I highly recommend it. I think after I read this I want to be a "Predator" when I grow up and join them on the hunt.
Malcolm Cox
Jul 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
As a short story collection, it would only be fair to give thoughts on each story, so here goes:
Story Name: DevilDogs by Tim Lebbon
What is it about? A squad off colonial marines are tasked with a retrieval mission on a remote research station.
Thoughts: This one read very much like an aliens story. Right up to the appearance of the Yaujta. Actually, even then, the feeling remained. Mixed in with the violence and action is quite a hard look on the liberties humanity feels like it can take.
Score: W
Sebastian
Jun 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
I read this (almost) back-to-back with the Aliens anthology it came more-or-less in tandem with (Bug Hunt) and the difference in quality is startling. Yes, the stories are repetitive, and no truly new ground has been broken in any of them, but almost none of the writing whiffs of cheap fan-fic – it is all solid, dependable yautja-on-ooman action, just as the cover promises.
Galina Krasskova
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
surprisingly good.
Nick
Oct 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was very sceptical about this after the Aliens one (https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...) but this is a very different beast.

For a start all the stories were enjoyable and felt like the authors had at least seen the films (if not the EU material and comics) which made things a lot nicer. The predators felt like they should, menacing yet honourable and interested in the hunt above all, the human characters usually had a good role to play and it all worked together nicely.

There's some nice A
David
Towards the end of 2017/at the start of 2018 I picked up both this and Aliens: Bug Hunt, as I'd always had a soft spot for both those films.

Both as sci-fi anthologies; both are based around their respective properties.

I read the latter first, and (truth be told) wasn't overly impressed: while there were some good stories amongst those included, none really stood out all that much.

As a result, I put off reading this until I worked my way through some 'proper' novels, and only came back to this r
Darcy
Sep 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is essential for anyone that is a fan of the Predator franchise. There are no disappointments in any of the stories and the action is fast and furious. One of the standouts for me was Larry Correia's entry, set in feudal Japan, that ends with a wonderful revelation. I really like when fiction blends well with fact! Additionally, the final story of the collection by John Mayberry took me back to a story I read as a child. (It was a story about human fighters competing against vastly sup ...more
Richie (Richie's Crazy Collection)
Devil Dogs (Tim Lebbon) **** [featuring a character from the RAGE WAR series]
Buffa
David Vinther
Jul 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: to-get-priority
I'm a sucker for everything Predator, I love all of the movies, no matter how goofy some may be. That said, this is a really good collection, with some real standouts. Rematch, by Steve Perry means that I'm now desperate to find a copy of his book Predator: Turnabout to read more about the characters in the short included here. Skeld's Keep, by SD Perry, was an awesome story that I wish would've been made into it's own book...Predators vs vikings, awesome. Jonathan Maberry is great as always wit ...more
Horror DNA
May 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: r-j-macready
It's been a while since we've had any good Predator movies. The first one is obviously an amazing film that stands head-and-shoulders above any of the others. I didn't much like Predator 2, found the AVP movies to be pretty mundane, but enjoyed the breakneck pace of Predators. I've also enjoyed some of the comics, but those are pretty hit-and-miss too.

The bottom line, though, is that I like the Predator as a creature. Ergo, a volume full of new stories written by some talented writers sounds lik
Steven Simmons
Jan 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fantastic anthology in the same vein as the Alien anthology from earlier in 2017. I enjoyed the stories and different perspectives that range from Earth's past to humanity's future. Some of these stories would be a great basis for a new Predator film.

I can't really say there was any story that I completely didn't care for. There was one story where the action seemed to blend together because of confusing writing but other than that this was a fantastic read. I hope they do another one in the fu
Brian
Dec 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Like most short story compilations, this book has its strong tales and its weak ones. A fair number of these stories share the same formula: what if Historical Conflict X, but the Predator is there? We saw the Predator in Vietnam, the Civil War, a western outlaw battle, a viking siege, etc. Interesting at first, this began to grate on me by the end of the book. Fans of the franchise will enjoy this book as much as I did, but I'm guessing readers without a fondness for the Predators won't be addi ...more
Kelly
Oct 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was really surprised by this book. I picked it up on a whim because my son is really into Predator stuff right now. I've seen a few of the movies but know like 0 of the lore. Having said that, these stories were 100% excellent reads. They were easy to follow even without knowing the lore and i can only imagine that people who do know it would love them even more than I did. Each story is self standing and pretty short so they don't take to long to read. I would 100% suggest this book to any fa ...more
Brannigan
Out of all the stories in this anthology I only skipped three after reading the first few pages. That’s high marks. In most anthologies I find I only like half of the stories. The other 13 stories that I read in full I’d say 10 of them left me wanting more. I will also be looking to read more from several of the authors. If you count yourself a fan of the films or some of the past books or comics give this a try.
Clara Ellis
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love all things Aliens and Predator. I love the combination of the two and I must say that this was a wonderful Predator only book. This book has a series of short stories about humans versus Predators and I was happy to see at least one story in which the Predator won. The interesting stories for me were the ones in which humans and Predators worked together! Read, enjoy and have fun. Do not look for deep, thought provoking ideas when reading this series.
Martin
Excellent collection of stories about the dreaded Yautja or Predators, who hunt humans (and other creatures) for sport. Some of the more interesting stories in this collection have the Predators hunting on earth in earlier periods of history - the Predators vs. Vikings story is particularly good, if gruesome, ending with multiple casualties on both sides!
Gareth Brown
Sep 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
I read this to help myself forget the awful new movie and it didn't let me down. A great collection of short stories featuring the Predator. All of them are better than the new film and I would easily have found several of the stories good adaptations to film. My favourites being the rogue Samurai vs predator and the Vikings vs predator.
Richard Eyres
A collection of short stories based on the Predator franchise, both film and written. The stories were OK, with one being really enjoyable. A couple were fairly lame and the rest were acceptable.
Some of the narrators were poor, but thankfully most lasted under an hour.
That's me caught up on the books now.
Jonathan Scotese
May 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
Predator anthology. More or less what you'd expect.

The Mira Grant story is pretty good, generic Predator aspect mixed with real world problems for a unique story.

One of the people behind attacking the Hugo awards a few years back did a flattering story about Stonewall Jackson, so.... yeah.

Mostly more or less what you'd expect.
John Hamrick
Jan 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book contains a series of stories that involve the Predator and a few that also include some Aliens within the Predator stories. All are well written and contain heart-pounding excitement, as well as some stories that provide fascinating background information on some beloved characters from the movie franchise. You will have to read it to find out who. Great book!
John R. Dailey Jr.
THE PREDATORS HAVE GONE POLITICALLY CORRECT THEY HAVE.....

Hello, I really wanted to like this book a lot. But, come on folks, are we going to put the greatest hunter killer on Zoloft. I say "Hell No" to that. Bring back the killing machine from the first movie. Thanks.
B Meadows
Nov 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Like any anthology, this book features highs and lows in terms of story quality. I’m not in love with every entry this book features, but I’m surprised that I can say I enjoyed most of them far more than I thought I would. The Predator series is, after all, not a series where one might expect to find notable authors...

Read the full review here:
Ciro Izarra
Nov 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: anthologies
Great collection

As a longtime fan of the predator franchise, this anthology was chuck full of awesomeness! There are some amazing short stories here that lovers of the dreadlocked monster will enjoy!
Gary Welch
Mar 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved the fact that within a few pages of each story beginning there were Predators, no build up, no character build, little to no back ground story, just action and killing. Some where good, some where great, none where bad.
lynsey thorpe and paul thorpe
fantastic book lots of great story's from some of the best sci-fi writers of all time so take the chance and buy the book

I chose the rating as the book kept me enthralled and the writers are some of the best in the business
Cagne

For some dedicated hunters, at times the Predators seemed to rely a lot on shooting their cannon or other gizmos, kinda like killing sprees before reloading the last save on a videogame. I appreciated the Predator's P.O.V. parts.

Andreas Strom
Oct 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good collection of Predator stories. I liked pretty much all of them, which is quite rare for an anthology. My favourites were the ones where a "predator" visits historical periods - civil war era U.S., Vikings in Scandinavia, Japan...
As always, I really liked Maberry's story too.
Bill Brinkley
Nov 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: scifi
A great read. I enjoyed the story about the beginning of the ninjas. The retelling of the death of Stonewall Jackson was an interesting story. I recommend this book to all Predator fans.

• Aliens: Bug Hunt
  • Alien: The Cold Forge
  • Predator: Incursion (The Rage War #1)
  • Alien vs. Predator: Armageddon (The Rage War #3)
  • The Predator: Hunters And Hunted Official Movie Prequel
  • Alien: Invasion (The Rage War #2)
  • Alien: Isolation
  • Aliens: Phalanx
  • Alien: Sea of Sorrows (Canonical Alien trilogy, #2)
  • Alien: Prototype
  • Predator: Concrete Jungle
  • Alien: Covenant Origins
  • The Predator
  • The Complete Predator Omnibus
  • Alien: Covenant
  • Alien: River of Pain (Canonical Alien trilogy, #3)
  • Alien: Out of the Shadows (Canonical Alien Trilogy, #1)
  • The Complete Aliens vs Predator Omnibus: Hunter's Planet / War
Bryan Thomas Schmidt is a national bestselling author and Hugo nominated editor of adult and children’s speculative fiction. His fourth novel, Simon Says is a page-turning near future thriller. His debut novel, The Worker Prince received Honorable Mention on Barnes & Noble Book Club’s Year’s Best Science Fiction Releases for 2011. His children’s books, 102 More Hilarious Dinosaur Books For Kids an ...more

News & Interviews