Start by marking “Predator: If It Bleeds” as Want to Read:
Predator: If It Bleeds

Predator: If It Bleeds

4.13  ·  Rating details ·  178 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
An anthology celebrating the 30th anniversary of the PREDATOR franchise, IF IT BLEEDS includes seventeen brand new, never before seen stories--exclusive to this collection--featuring the Predators throughout space and time. Based entirely on the original films, novels, and comics, PREDATOR: IF IT BLEEDS (a quote from the original movie) reveals the Predators stalking prey ...more
Published October 17th 2017 by Titan Books (UK)

To ask other readers questions about Predator, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Predator

Ben Brown
The promise inherent in a “Predator” anthology would seem to be sky high…so why did “If It Bleeds,” which is comprised of 16 short stories by the likes of such greats as Tim Lebbon, Steve Perry, Kevin J. Anderson, Mira Grant, John Shirley, and Jonathan Mabberry, among others, ultimately leave me feeling so…meh?

I suspect it has something to do with the fact that, for all of the variety in settings that the stories may have – including stories set in the far-flung future, 9th century Norway, Viet
Lena
Oct 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Predator Fans

Predator is one of my favorite movies so I had to read this the second it came out! I was not disappointed, this was a consistently good time.

My favorite stories were the Predator through history:
Vikings vs Predator
Samurai vs Predator
Civil War plus Predator
Vietnam War plus Predator
I ate this up.

There were also several clever stories of people using the Predator to their advantage:
Abused kids lure Predator home
POW rescues Predator
Pretend to kill Predator... and then let it kill everyone Else
G
Greg Stillwagon
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: predator
This is OUTSTANDING. I have all the Predator books and I have enjoyed them very much. This one however, is just wonderful. The Predators are tough, vicious yet honorable. The stories are placed throughout history and are fast paced and great. Usually collections of short stories have a few "dogs" in them .... this book is FULL of good reads. I highly recommend it. I think after I read this I want to be a "Predator" when I grow up and join them on the hunt.
WyrmbergMalcolm
Jul 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
As a short story collection, it would only be fair to give thoughts on each story, so here goes:
Story Name: DevilDogs by Tim Lebbon
What is it about? A squad off colonial marines are tasked with a retrieval mission on a remote research station.
Thoughts: This one read very much like an aliens story. Right up to the appearance of the Yaujta. Actually, even then, the feeling remained. Mixed in with the violence and action is quite a hard look on the liberties humanity feels like it can take.
Score: W
Nick
Oct 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was very sceptical about this after the Aliens one (https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...) but this is a very different beast.

For a start all the stories were enjoyable and felt like the authors had at least seen the films (if not the EU material and comics) which made things a lot nicer. The predators felt like they should, menacing yet honourable and interested in the hunt above all, the human characters usually had a good role to play and it all worked together nicely.

There's some nice A
David
Towards the end of 2017/at the start of 2018 I picked up both this and Aliens: Bug Hunt, as I'd always had a soft spot for both those films.

Both as sci-fi anthologies; both are based around their respective properties.

I read the latter first, and (truth be told) wasn't overly impressed: while there were some good stories amongst those included, none really stood out all that much.

As a result, I put off reading this until I worked my way through some 'proper' novels, and only came back to this r
Darcy
Sep 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is essential for anyone that is a fan of the Predator franchise. There are no disappointments in any of the stories and the action is fast and furious. One of the standouts for me was Larry Correia's entry, set in feudal Japan, that ends with a wonderful revelation. I really like when fiction blends well with fact! Additionally, the final story of the collection by John Mayberry took me back to a story I read as a child. (It was a story about human fighters competing against vastly sup ...more
David Vinther
Jul 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: to-get-priority
I'm a sucker for everything Predator, I love all of the movies, no matter how goofy some may be. That said, this is a really good collection, with some real standouts. Rematch, by Steve Perry means that I'm now desperate to find a copy of his book Predator: Turnabout to read more about the characters in the short included here. Skeld's Keep, by SD Perry, was an awesome story that I wish would've been made into it's own book...Predators vs vikings, awesome. Jonathan Maberry is great as always wit ...more
Steven Simmons
Jan 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fantastic anthology in the same vein as the Alien anthology from earlier in 2017. I enjoyed the stories and different perspectives that range from Earth's past to humanity's future. Some of these stories would be a great basis for a new Predator film.

I can't really say there was any story that I completely didn't care for. There was one story where the action seemed to blend together because of confusing writing but other than that this was a fantastic read. I hope they do another one in the fu
Martin
Excellent collection of stories about the dreaded Yautja or Predators, who hunt humans (and other creatures) for sport. Some of the more interesting stories in this collection have the Predators hunting on earth in earlier periods of history - the Predators vs. Vikings story is particularly good, if gruesome, ending with multiple casualties on both sides!
Gareth Brown
Sep 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
I read this to help myself forget the awful new movie and it didn't let me down. A great collection of short stories featuring the Predator. All of them are better than the new film and I would easily have found several of the stories good adaptations to film. My favourites being the rogue Samurai vs predator and the Vikings vs predator.
stephen pina
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed

A bunch of short stories spanning from the time of Japanese Shoguns to figure time to modern dayish. Good to see the predators throughout history and bc they were short stories it never really dragged or got borng
Bethany Meadows
Nov 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Like any anthology, this book features highs and lows in terms of story quality. I’m not in love with every entry this book features, but I’m surprised that I can say I enjoyed most of them far more than I thought I would. The Predator series is, after all, not a series where one might expect to find notable authors...

Read the full review here:
Ciro Izarra
Nov 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: anthologies
Great collection

As a longtime fan of the predator franchise, this anthology was chuck full of awesomeness! There are some amazing short stories here that lovers of the dreadlocked monster will enjoy!
Gary Welch
Mar 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved the fact that within a few pages of each story beginning there were Predators, no build up, no character build, little to no back ground story, just action and killing. Some where good, some where great, none where bad.
John R. Dailey Jr.
THE PREDATORS HAVE GONE POLITICALLY CORRECT THEY HAVE.....

Hello, I really wanted to like this book a lot. But, come on folks, are we going to put the greatest hunter killer on Zoloft. I say "Hell No" to that. Bring back the killing machine from the first movie. Thanks.
Cagne

For some dedicated hunters, at times the Predators seemed to rely a lot on shooting their cannon or other gizmos, kinda like killing sprees before reloading the last save on a videogame. I appreciated the Predator's P.O.V. parts.

lynsey thorpe and paul thorpe
fantastic book lots of great story's from some of the best sci-fi writers of all time so take the chance and buy the book

I chose the rating as the book kept me enthralled and the writers are some of the best in the business
Luke Williams
Feb 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book was great! I enjoyed every story in it. My favorites were Stonewall's Last Stand, Blood and Sand, Three Sparks and Gameworld. I would love to see more Alien and Predator anthologies!
Joe Spanier
Oct 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you love predator, you'll love these stories.
Trent Baker
May 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved it, some interesting stories from both perspectives. If you are a fan of the franchise you must read it.
Ron Hartley
Oct 28, 2018 rated it liked it
A Fun read, some stories were better than others.
Phil
Sep 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Predator vs Samurai/Viking/Buffalo Soldiers
Fantastic
Patrick Boggs
Jul 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Kind of a mixed bag, as many compilations are. There are only a couple really good stories, but they are worth the purchase of this book.
Daniel Gaddy
Jul 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
If you liked the Predator movies -- and especially if you liked "Aliens: Bug Hunt" -- you'll enjoy this book. It may not win any Pulitzers, but it's a great way to spend several hours.
Alex Summers
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a damn good read!
Marcus
Apr 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
A really entertaining assortment of stories pitting humans against predators at various locales and points in time. One of my favorites was a match-up between samurai and a predator in feudal Japan.
Craig Carignan
Apr 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really like the book alot it was a good read and I went thru it pretty quick.
Mixon Trammell
Oct 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is excellent. It takes a unique look at human interaction with the Yautja. Some stories are better than others, but all are solid.
Jeff Johnson
Oct 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good Read

Diverse stories bring a different viewpoint to the Predators series. I thoroughly enjoyed reading through the Predators conscious, it's thoughts and tactics. Good Read
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Bryan Thomas Schmidt is an author and Hugo nominated editor of adult and children’s speculative fiction. His debut novel, The Worker Prince received Honorable Mention on Barnes & Noble Book Club’s Year’s Best Science Fiction Releases for 2011. His first children’s books, 102 More Hilarious Dinosaur Books For Kids and Abraham Lincoln: Dinosaur Hunter- Land Of Legends appeared from Delabarre Pu ...more