Start by marking “Mystery Society” as Want to Read:
Mystery Society

Mystery Society

(Mystery Society #1-5)

Anastasia Collins: beautiful, smart, seductive, not to be messed with. Nick Hammond: hamdsome, suave, lethal, going to prison. Together, they are the Mystery Society. They are rich, resourceful, refined, determined to uncover the paranormal secrets of the world's underbelly... and in need of new recruits. A ghoul named Secret Skull, two twin girls Nick sprung from Area 51, ...more
Paperback
Published September 26th 2017 by IDW Publishing (first published December 21st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Mystery Society, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mystery Society

Start your review of Mystery Society
Sean Gibson
Jul 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
On balance, Mystery Society is a fun frolic, a high-speed romp through a world where talking skeletons, disembodied science fiction writers, and nuclear powered little girls can simultaneously take on the full strength of the United States army and locate the missing skull of Edgar Allen Poe. Fiona Staples' artwork alone makes this worth the price of admission. She is to drawing comics what Egon Spengler is to dropping references to obscure, arcane texts.

But, while the high concept is
Sesana
Fiona Staples is a really, really talented artist. Her art is just so beautiful to look at, and she gives her characters so much life. I would be happy with a book that had only her art and no text. I actually got this book for the sole reason that I knew it had her art in it. As far as that goes, I got what I was looking for. Because as far as the story goes, Fiona Staples is a really, really talented artist.

Niles really wanted this to be a Weird and Quirky book, and he oversells. Constantly.
Sara *~The Loquacious Lassie~*
I really enjoyed this one! It sort of reminded me of a mash-up of The Umbrella Academy and The Incredibles. Nick Mystery and his wifey establish a group that investigates government cover-ups (think Area 51). Two others join the team- a zombie lady and a robot with a famous author's brain inside
After Nick frees twins girls that were experimented on (and now have kick ass powers), Nick lands himself in hot water.

The plot was super fun and definitely had a movie quality to it. I wouldn't be
Steve
1.5 stars, rounded down.

Not much to say about this one, except "Avoid it".

Edit: Actually, I'll say a little bit more. If you are looking for a (very) cheap knock-off/modern retelling of Alan Moore's The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Vol. 1, then this graphic novel is right up your alley. I'm not sure if author Steve Niles intended that, or if he even knew what he was going for (modern-age steampunk?) as he wrote this, but it didn't really work for me at all. The artwork was sort of *bleh*,
Eric
Jul 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of awesome
This book was made just for me. It's about a mystery super-team that solves paranormal cases, complete with supernatural allies, secret hide-outs and high tech gadgets, and references Area 51, Jules Verne and Edgar Allen Poe. Sign me up.

This graphic novel -- which on top of everything else, was beautifully drawn -- is the perfect blend of The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, The Losers, Scooby Doo, The X-Files, and Buffy the Vampire Slayer. So, if that doesn't sound like your cup of tea, well
Sanaa
Jan 16, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
[3.5 Stars] This one was quite enjoyable, but it wasn't quite as whimsical or action-packed as I was expecting. The climax to the story juat didn't hit as hard as I wanted it to! The artwork is really beautiful though! I adore Verne!
Trike
I've had this book lying around for years and had forgotten I had it. I discovered it while searching my office the other day and was surprised by its existence. Steve Niles! Of 30 Days of Night, Vol. 1 and Criminal Macabre! Fiona Staples! Of Saga, Vol. 1! Why has this been languishing?! (Because I have too many books, is why.)

So I devoured it before work today, and it definitely improved my mood after the downer that was The Fifth Season. Which is good, but oh so depressing.

This is just a fun
Eoghann Irving
So close!

This had all the elements lined up to be a great book and yet it just doesn't _quite_ come together.

Admittedly the biggest draw initially for me was the art by Fiona Staples because I love the work she has done on _Saga._ And she doesn't let me down here.

But there were other exciting elements here. Jules Verne's brain in a giant robot? Yup that's cool. A husband and wife mystery solving team? Yeah I'll go for some of that.

You see this book really wants to be wacky and crazy and it
Wendy
A sexy couple with the means and the motivation to solve some of the more unusual crimes are recruiting members for their new Mystery Society. Conveniently, a ghoul named Secret Skull and Jules Verne's brain encased in a quirky robot body apply for the job. Add the atomic twins that Nick Mystery rescues from Area 51 and we have the makings of a really fun team.

Unfortunately, in spite of Fiona Staples' fantastic artwork, this great concept falls flat with sub-par plotting, sub-par subplotting, a
sj
Aug 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was cute, and would be a kickass movie. With 1987 Cary Elwes as Nick Mystery. Someone find a time machine, go back and grab him and bring him back just for this, 'kay?

Much like North 40, this is another Staples story that should have continued. [sigh]
Kirra
Nov 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Mystery Society was an incredible little read because hello, it's illustrated by Fiona Staples! That brilliant artist couldn't do a bad drawing if she tried. I also love that no matter what she draws for any story you can always see her personal touch on the people's faces and the lines of everything she draws.

This book is a collection of the five issues compiled in this story and it's all very quick moving and to the point. It's a great short story about a mystery loving couple, a dead woman,
May 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
So many wonderful things to say. Where to begin?

The art is fantastic and I was loving every moment. Fiona Staples does a wonderful job, and I love the look she gives to the characters. The color palette and "sketchy" look of everything adds to the feel of the book as much as the writing does. I would love to see her do another book with these characters.

The story was amazing. Not ground breaking literature, but still amazing. I liked the story's pace and the easy dialogue between Nick and Ana.
Jason
Nearly perfect little mishmash of action, scifi, and the supernatural. I'm so bummed that, aside from a one shot in 2013, Niles has never returned to these characters. I think it's my favorite of all that he's written. I collected this in single issues but reread it because Fiona Staples wasn't on my radar, it being pre-Saga and all, and I wanted to compare her earlier work to what she's doing now. The art has a different texture--it might just be the coloring--but it's just as wonderful as ...more
Jennavier
May 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The artwork was amazing and I was highly entertained. The story made absolutely no sense but it managed to be fun anyway.
Emily
Apr 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not a ton of depth in the plot, but this was a fun romp with a great sense of humor and fantastic artwork. I'd love to read more about this crew.
Samantha Beard
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
I read this as a part of the San Diego Comic-con Book Club for October.

I LOVED IT! Of course, the art is amazing, Fiona Staples never disappoints. I was so happy with the diversity of characters in this too-short story, and I really would love to follow them around the world solving mysteries and debunking folk tales.

If you are totally unfamiliar with this book, it follows a group of rag-tag misfits who use their vast sums of money to do things like buy fancy escape vehicles and break into
Courtney
Jul 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Since this was published 9 years ago and no other sequels have come to fruition, I'm going to assume this series is not going to continue, which is kind of a bummer because I really enjoyed the characters and the story. Some of the dialogue was weird and the cover sexualizes Anastasia more than the actual story does (like, just make Nick stand like that too while you're at it). Otherwise it was fun and quirky and I would have liked to see what would happen next. Oh well. Win some and lose some I ...more
Jun 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: recent
It's p. much what it sounds like! It's knockoff conspiracy theory Addams Family, but w/ more explosions. Or like a version of BPRD where everyone is a sexy idiot. Very stupid and very fun.

It's not like super remarkable but I bought this book mostly b/c of Fiona Staples' art, so it turned out to be worth it. Maybe not memorable but defs. entertaining.
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-unlimited
So I really liked this book. I thought it was fun, I loved the dynamic between the characters and it didn't feel too forced. Excited to read the other vols.
Joanna
Feb 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
I really enjoyed this one!
I'm starting to really enjoy comics.
Melissa Henrichs
Feb 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Loved the characters and I wish there was more. Fiona Staples is the bomb dot com!
Devon Munn

Pretty fun story with some solid work from Fiona Staples, this and The October Faction (which I still need to get caught up on) are Niles' best works
Lisa Stojanovich
I loved the characters and Poe's skull sub-plot, but I wish there were more issues. I wanted everything flushed out a little more, and was left with A LOT of unanswered questions. Butt Rockets, tho.
Also, I love Fiona Staples' artwork.

Acquired: Amazon for BOTM
Shalor T.
Apr 03, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: meh
I have to say that I'm both pleased and disappointed by this book. I'm pleased, as it gives me an early look at Staples' work pre-Saga, but I'm also disappointed because at times I can't help but feel that I've seen better from both of the creative minds involved here.

The weakest point for this is the story. This is a stand alone volume, but at times the plot here is pretty thin. While reading I got the impression that so much was left unsaid or unrevealed in the hopes of future volumes, but
Cat Russell  (Addicted2Heroines)
Mystery Society was a fun story with outstanding characters complimented by Fiona Staple's wonderful artwork.

What I enjoyed most was the introduction of characters with supernatural abilities that weren't your typical superheroes. When pushed into a tight spot, the members of the Society weren't saved by men with super strength or powerful weapons. In fact, of all the new recruits, the ones most likely to save the day were two small girls named Nina and Sally.

My first impression when starting
Martin
Fun little book and surprisingly light-hearted. I'd only read steve Niles'30 Days of Night, Vol. 1 when it first came out and did not know of anything else he'd done (other than more volumes of that series). So when the Goodreads site recommended this book to me, it piqued my curiosity.

Moreover, I've recently "discovered" Fiona Staples as an artist (from reading the superlative Saga, Volume 1) so that sealed the deal as far as I was concerned: I had to read this book. Luckily, one of the many
Wayne McCoy
When adventurer Nick Collins is arrested, he decides to tell the story behind the Mystery Society. He's been caught breaking in to Area 51 to rescue an experiment. Meanwhile his lover Anastasia has been recruiting new members to the team, a robot with Jules Verne's brain and a dead girl. Throw in government conspiracies and the missing skull of Edgar Allan Poe, and you've got a good setup.

It's all got a hip devil-may-care vibe. It worked for me, but that laid back attitude, and the fact that the
Caprice
Jan 24, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Overall I was just disappointed with this graphic novel. The art was beautiful (which is to be expected since Fiona Staples illustrated it) however the plot and characters felt rushed, underdeveloped and two-dimensional. Something just kind of felt missing to me like there was more to the story/world that we just didn't get to see. At times it felt like certain scenes were just cut and paste from another bigger and better story. Anyway there was a bit of humour which was nice ...I
Paul
Aug 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fiona Staples art... that's pretty much all there is to say.
The story is OK, but nothing really all that great. There's a second story at the end of the book NOT illustrated by Staples, and right there and then is when I decided that, were it not for Staples art, this book wouldn't have ever made my shelves.
Still, Fiona Staples art, man!
Sandra
**4.5 stars**

I didn't expect to enjoy this as much as I did! Lots of humor and wonderful graphics. But I had to take off 0.5 star cause it felt like the plot was missing that extra spark for it to be 5 stars. This is a standalone graphic novel, but it would have awesome as a series.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Madison Mega-Mara...: #85 Mystery Society by Steve Niles and Fiona Staples 1 1 Dec 17, 2017 03:31PM

• Ascender, Vol. 1: The Haunted Galaxy
  • The Woods, Vol. 9: The Way Home
  • The Woods, Vol. 3: New London
  • Rachel Rising, Volume 1: The Shadow of Death
  • The Fiction
STEVE NILES is one of the writers responsible for bringing horror comics back to prominence, and was recently named by Fangoria magazine as one of it's "13 rising talents who promise to keep us terrified for the next 25 years."

Niles is currently working for the four top American comic publishers - Marvel, DC, Image and Dark Horse. He got his start in the industry when he formed his own publishing

Mystery Society (6 books)
  • Mystery Society #1 (of 5)
  • Mystery Society #2 (of 5)
  • Mystery Society #3 (of 5)
  • Mystery Society #4 (of 5)
  • Mystery Society #5 (of 5)