Start by marking “The New Leadership Literacies: Thriving in a Future of Extreme Disruption and Distributed Everything” as Want to Read:

A rapid and massively disruptive shift from centralized to distributed organizations has already begun. But current leadership practices were designed for large, centralized organizations, making them increasingly obsolete. Bob Johansen, who has been projecting future trends from Silicon Valley since 1968, outlines five literacies leaders need to develop to cope with this ...more
Published September 5th 2017 by Berrett-Koehler Publishers

To ask other readers questions about The New Leadership Literacies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The New Leadership Literacies

Start your review of The New Leadership Literacies: Thriving in a Future of Extreme Disruption and Distributed Everything
Reid Mccormick
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was ok
Here is a question: what is the difference from predicting the future in ten years or imagining the future ten years out and working back from there? Answer: I don’t really know.

That’s the how I feel about this book. Yes, you can split hairs and talk about how imagining the future and working back is more strategic, but I feel like in the end, you are just saying the same thing but using different words.
I didn’t find this book to provide me with any practical insight. For example, there is a
Lisa Kosak
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you haven’t been overwhelmed with the ever changing landscape in both our business and personal lives, you will be. Technology and the connected world that we live in is beginning to master us instead of the other way around. Moving forward everything including people, systems, and organizations will be distributed differently and disrupted according to Bob Johansen.

We have been slowly trying to decentralize and change the structure of our organizations but will it happen fast enough? Change
Nathan Brant
Sep 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Learn to look backward from the future
Voluntarily engage in fear
Embrace shape-shifting organizations
Be there even when you're not there
Create and sustain positive energy

These are Bob Johansen's new leadership literacies. I had the opportunity to hear the author speak to a group of YMCA CEOs and CVOs last spring. His book has been on my "to read" pile for the last several months.

As a distinguished fellow from the Institute for the Future, Bob has made a career in looking ahead. Any effort to
Neil
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was ok
Included a broad assortment of advice and forecasting that tried to be both vague and specific at the same time. While there were a few small tidbits I pulled from it, the presentation of the information just felt like someone pulling pieces of paper out of a bag with futuristic words on them, and then asked to speak on each for 20 minutes.
Manoj Joshi
Jul 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Bob does It again. This is a book for researchers, thinkers, strategists and leaders who anticipate disruption and wish to sail through. I took this for reading only holidays to Europe and enjoyed every word
Don
Aug 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Interesting take on the impact of technology and our current circumstances and their impact on leadership. Worth a read for leaders and aspiring leaders - especially the chapter on ‘clarity’ versus ‘certainty.’
Badulescu Alecsandra
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
a great window into the wisdom of future. I’d recommend it to anyone that has a healthy anxiousness about what the future for leaders will look like. if you’re not up for change then maybe this is not the book for you.
Aarif  Billah
Dec 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
relatively boring.. but good information :)
Tracy108
Oct 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: business
It was okay. Not sure I learned a lot new. There is a lot about tools and technology. I did like the concept that if you’re going to fail you should do so in an interesting way.
Matthew Lubecki
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Everyone should read this.
Randy Howard
May 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very enlightening, especially for someone who does not consider himself "tech savvy."
Mark Russell
Aug 10, 2018
Gabriella Alexandra
Feb 28, 2019
Chris Kopinski
Dec 31, 2017
Nick
rated it did not like it
Oct 29, 2018
Apr 04, 2018
Jim
Oct 02, 2017 added it
Shelves: 2017
The book presents some interesting views on the future of leadership in dispersed organizations.
Peter Van

• Find Your Why: A Practical Guide to Discovering Purpose for You and Your Team
  • The Strategy and Tactics of Pricing: A Guide to Growing More Profitably
  • Coffee Obsession
  • Talking from 9 to 5: Women and Men at Work
  • Product Management in Practice: A Real-World Guide to the Key Connective Role of the 21st Century
  • Turning the Flywheel: A Monograph to Accompany Good to Great
  • Singletasking: Get More Done One Thing at a Time
  • Hygge: The Danish Art of Happiness
  • Mind Reader: Unlocking the Secrets and Powers of a Mentalist
  • Be happy, it drives people crazy
  • The Dream Society: How the Coming Shift from Information to the Dream Society: How the Coming Shift from Information to Imagination Will Transform Your Business Imagination Will Transform Your Business
  • Second Chance: for Your Money, Your Life and Our World
  • A Safari in the Equity World: Applying Animal Kingdom Strategies to the Investment World
Bob Johansen is distinguished fellow at the Institute for the Future in Silicon Valley, where he helps top leaders around the world prepare for and shape the future. Bob works with corporations such as McKinsey, Tesco, UPS, Kellogg, Syngenta, and McDonald's - as well as a range of major universities and non profits. "The Reciprocity Advantage" is Bob's ninth book. A social scientist by training, ...more