Start by marking “The Year I Turned 25: A Memoir about Sex, Anxiety and a Dog Named She-Devil” as Want to Read:
The Year I Turned 25: A Memoir about Sex, Anxiety and a Dog Named She-Devil

The Year I Turned 25: A Memoir about Sex, Anxiety and a Dog Named She-Devil

-I always thought twenty-five was the year I'd finally be grown up, the year the world would finally start taking me seriously, the year I would finally know what I wanted. And yet...- The Year I Turned 25 catalogues the ups and downs of a TV reporter in her mid-twenties, who takes on the added challenge of training an adorable, but misbehaving puppy. Sometimes melancholic ...more
Published January 26th 2017 by FriesenPress

To ask other readers questions about The Year I Turned 25, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Year I Turned 25

Start your review of The Year I Turned 25: A Memoir about Sex, Anxiety and a Dog Named She-Devil
William Burr
Props to Raquel Fletcher for not shying away from the less glamorous moments of her life, broaching them with humour and courage and searching for truth. She describes a disturbing sexual assault, her struggles with anxiety, and her attempts to balance her Catholic faith and her sexuality. Many aspects of her 25th year that she captures here are familiar to me: painful crushes, raw desire, overflowing energy, the struggle to assert herself and find her own voice, and the relief that comes when s ...more
Mar 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. As soon as I opened it, I was pulled into the author's world - her personal journey of self-discovery; of becoming an adult; of being a woman.
As she tells her story with passionate and candid honesty, wearing her heart on her sleeve, I found myself remembering my own such feelings - my memories of true and embarrassing love, heartbreak and grief, fear and anxiety.
Her personal journey through heartbreak, to finding love again in the cuddles of a loyal pet, all wh
Kelly Artieri
Dec 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Raquel Fletcher is a born story teller! She makes everyday life seem new and exciting. Her breezy style is a delight to read, and her candor brings everything into focus for the reader. Ms. Fletcher is an amazing young woman, and I think every reader will be able to relate to her description of a momentous year in her life. It is both refreshing and heartwarming to learn of her refusal to indulge in casual sex, and heartbreaking when she loses first one then another love interest. Her openness a ...more
Kickass Reads
Oct 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Finding someone who has lived a such a thrilling and experience packed life is one thing, but someone who also has the ability and honed craft to turn it into a funny, entertaining and utterly engrossing memoir is entirely another. 25 might not be a full life to reflect back on, but there’s more than enough to make this a must-read book.

Fletcher pulls no punches and her writing is taut and fast paced. The anxiety elements are handled in a way that you can empathize with the events without it eve
Mar 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lewis Grisham
Samantha
Apr 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
I loved this story and couldn't put it down! It was touching, it was emotional, it was relatable, it was honest, it was raw, it was funny, it was heart-breaking, it was real!
Brian Mcgregor
Mar 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Andrew Freeman
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Taking of Peggy Martin
  • My Grandmother's Hands: Racialized Trauma and the Mending of Our Bodies and Hearts
  • Fulcrum
  • The Grey Woods
  • Retrieving for All Occasions
  • My Soul Belongs to You (Soul Mates Book 2)
  • Harnessing Heaven: How One Reluctant Wall-Streeter Tapped the Power of the Hereafter
  • Glimpse Spirit vol. 6
  • A Sibling in Always
  • Sho-Rap Highway: The Native American Firefighters of Wind River
Television reporter, world traveller, dog lover, feminist and Saskatchewan Roughriders fan.

News & Interviews