Start by marking “A Big Day for Baseball (Magic Tree House, #29)” as Want to Read:
A Big Day for Baseball (Magic Tree House, #29)

A Big Day for Baseball

(Magic Tree House #29)

Meet Jackie Robinson and solve a mystery in the #1 bestselling Magic Tree House chapter book series!

PLAY BALL! Jack and Annie aren't great baseball players . . . yet! Then Morgan the librarian gives them magical baseball caps that will make them experts. They just need to wear the caps to a special ballgame in Brooklyn, New York. The magic tree house whisks them back to 1
Published August 1st 2017 by Random House Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about A Big Day for Baseball, please sign up.
Rebecca (whenallotherlightsgoout) In 2017 the Merlin Missions were republished as an independent series. Christmas in Camelot is now #1 in the Magic Tree House: Merlin Missions series.…moreIn 2017 the Merlin Missions were republished as an independent series. Christmas in Camelot is now #1 in the Magic Tree House: Merlin Missions series. This book continues the series with Morgan La Fey and is now #29 in the Magic Tree House series. I understand this creates a lot of confusion, as these books are now numbered differently. (less)

Start your review of A Big Day for Baseball (Magic Tree House, #29)
Elizabeth Dragina

Fun story.
Arti
Jan 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: children
I have always enjoyed the Magic Tree House series - for the ease and simplicity with which they expose kids to historical events, cultures, personalities, discoveries and even a simple life lesson to draw from... this book attempts the same but the adventure is too simplistic and the usual charm is missing...

The story is written around baseball - with an underlying theme of racial integration - and takes us all back to a game in Brooklyn NY in 1947...

Jack and Annie - who can hardly play the game
Kori
Apr 30, 2019 rated it liked it
This was a fun and easy read for students in the middle elementary grades. The two children in the story are transported in time through their magic tree house to the 1940's when there was segregation. The main characters Jack and Annie are not great baseball players and are nervous for their little league tryouts. When they are transported back in time they are able to see Jackie Robinson play and witness the fight for civil rights. It is an easy and fun read and provides a certain amount of hi ...more
Jane
Aug 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
What do you do when your 7-year-old grandson hands you the book he just finished and says, "you should read this nana. You would really like it."? You read it of course! And then you find out that these books are really quite good and informative. And they have a good message as well. But the best part is that my geandson would even think to offer me the opportunity to read something he liked!
David Freudenburg
Nov 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
What a delightful and clever book! The author expertly brings in the major events and issues, but doesn't allow them to take over the book. Instead, she provides an age-appropriate story with characters, plot, suspense, and a climax. Very engaging and seems to be historically accurate.
Alex
Aug 07, 2018 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book because I liked the part when Jack and Annie magically turned into bat boys. I didn't like this book because the manager fired them because he figured out that they were actually kids.
Jordan Henrichs
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Normally I’d rate Magic Treehouse books a 2 or a 3 for what they are. But this one is about baseball and my daughter read it to me! So I’m going with a 5!
Eden Poon
Sep 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
it was...

AMAZING!!!

Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Osborne, Mary Pope Magic Tree House: A Big Day for Baseball, 75 pgs. CHAPTER BOOK Random House, 2017 $13.99 Content: G.

Jack and Annie are nervous about baseball tryouts, so when they go on an adventure in the magic tree house they find themselves in the year 1947. They are batboys during a game when Jackie Robinson is playing for the Dodgers. They meet new friends and learn about courage. When they return from their adventure they aren’t scared to try out for baseball because they know that it’
Jackie
Jack and Annie magically travel via the treehouse to visit a very historic day on April 15, 1947. On this day in Ebbet's Field in Brooklyn, New York, Jack and Annie are batboys when Jackie Robinson made history. He was the first black player in Major League Baseball.

Even though Jackie Robinson was booed by some and called nasty names, he held his head high with dignity. He went on to become the Rookie of the Year in 1947 and an All-Star of the game. A Big Day for Baseball is a simple story whic
Jennifer Klein
Dec 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Book Title: Magic Tree House: A Big Day for Baseball
Author/Illustrator: Mary Pope Osborn
Reading Level: 3.4
Book Level: 2nd-4th

Book Summary: When Jack and Annie go back to 1947 to see an important baseball game the have to solve two mysteries. What is so special about this game and what is so special about the player wearing number 42?

Bookshelf Mentor Writing Traits:

Ideas - The idea of this story is to teach readers about Jackie Robinson, who was the first African American to be allowed to play
Barbara
It's always fun to go time traveling with siblings Jack and Annie, especially since their adventures allow them and readers to learn a little bit about an important time or place in history. In this case, they receive special ball caps from Morgan the librarian and head to Brooklyn, New York in 1947. The caps make both of them look older than they are as well as allowing them to play the part of bat boys during the baseball game between the Brooklyn Dodgers and the Boston Braves. As it turns out ...more
Nick Harriger
Nov 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nh
Jack and Annie are back at it. By no means are either of them baseball phenoms. This time they try to solve the mystery of a baseball game. They get into a bit of trouble (like usual) and with the help of their new friends Otis and Olive.

Design a picture of the baseball stadium. What’s at the ballpark? Explain what is in your drawing with a classmate and compare.
Who was one of the famous baseball players that Jack and Annie met at the ballfield?
What was so significant about the baseball game?
Carley
Oct 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Jack and Annie climb in their magic time machine tree house and visit a pivotal moment in sports history. Mr. Morgan sends Jack and Annie on this special trip and it's they're job to figure out what's so important about this baseball game. Once they've traveled in time, Jack and Annie get to be "bat boys" at the Dodgers game! (back when they were Brooklyn, not LA Dodgers)

This is a quick read and great for getting kids more involved in history. I think this is a great book for sparking the inter
Oct 15, 2017 rated it liked it
This is your typical Magic Tree House book. Jack and Annie go back in time to another place, learn a lesson, and return home. We read this out loud with my younger two children. They still enjoy the adventures of Jack and Annie, but they struggled to get into this one for some reason.

Also, as a family. We are very unhappy with the new numbering system the publisher is using. It's confusing for the kids. It's confusing for the parents. We've actually ordered the same book for the latest release,
Austin
Aug 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-literature
I have mixed feelings about the Magic Tree House "reboot." My main concern, however, is just that I'm unsure as to how the "new" 29-32 fit into the chronology of the story; like, do these take place between the original 28 and the Merlin Missions? Or do these relegate the Merlin Missions to an alternate universe? And are the kids 7 and 8, or are they 10 and 11 as we left them in Night of the Ninth Dragon? A lot of questions. That being said, the new stories are written in a funnier style with a ...more
Mari
Apr 26, 2018 rated it liked it
This series handles historical events surprisingly well. I always worry that the kids are going to interfere and influence how things go, but I'm pleasantly surprised every time. It is a learning experience for them, and that is the best that I can ask for. With such an important historical event in this particular book, I am impressed with how Mary Pope Osborne handles everything. The wording is simplistic because it is meant for younger readers. All in all, a good read for kids who want to div ...more
AMY
Sep 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Grades 3-4
75 pages. This is a good story. Kids will like it. Jack and Annie travel to Ebbets Field, Brooklyn, NY April 15, 1947 and help out as batboys during a very famous baseball game. I would definitely buy. Highly recommended for Grades 3-4. I would also buy the companion non-fiction book to go with this.
Serenity
A fine addition to the series, though I forgot about the renumbering so I need to look that information up. Jack and Annie go back to Jackie Robinson's first game and learn a lesson about doing the right thing.

*I received a free review copy of this book from the publisher through my district library services*
Dawn
Feb 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm a big fan of the Magic Treehouse series for the age of kids that I teach. This one is particularly relevant for us because we read the story of Jackie Robinson every year as part of the anthology we use. This tells the story of Jackie Robinson's first game and would be a great preamble to reading Teammates.
Daphne Kim
Oct 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
My daughter and I love this series, but this one was not her favorite. She didn't think it had the same level of adventure as the others. I love the message at the end, though. I love, also, that Mary Pope Osbourne deals which diverse historical and geographical topics.
Jonah Zimmerman
Nov 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Genre - Mystery / Historical Fiction
Grade - 2-3
Unique - Using mystery and historical fiction both in one is a cool mix for a book. I remember reading some of these books when I was younger, and loving the mystery aspect to it, so I liked this book as well.
Nick Shanks
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another Magic Tree House book, A Big Day for Baseball, has the siblings go back in time and watch Jackie Robinson play baseball. Being a big baseball fan and coach, I was a bit biased, but this was my favorite book in the series.
Jessica
Feb 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Another enjoyable text in this series! I love these books for young readers because they include so much learning in such a fun read! I listened to the book on CD and appreciated that the author read the story.
Sarah -  All The Book Blog Names Are Taken
Eleanor says: I liked it because Otis and Olive helped Jack and Annie. They helped them since they got kicked out of the game. They helped them with secret shortcuts. I didn’t like when the not nice people said mean things Jackie Robinson.
Reading with Ms. Gallardo
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: chapter-books-4
You can never go wrong with having this series in your classroom library! These books are perfect for 1st- 3rd graders. They also make a fun read-aloud for the whole class. Every Magic Tree House book has a non-fiction companion which is helpful if you need them for a specific lesson.
Ms. McGregor
This book briefly mentions racism and slavery but with little to no explanation or meaningful context. Make sure you supplement your kids’ reading with some conversations on these topics, especially (but not only) if they ask.
Kari
Mar 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was a library read I started with my students and wanted to finish on my own.. I really enjoyed this easy read. There was a lot of history for students and great life lessons, about being brave in the face of difficult times.
Aug 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids, sports
Gift for the nephew's 9th birthday.

• The Haunted Hotel (A to Z Mysteries, #8)
  • The Bald Bandit (A to Z Mysteries, #2)
  • The Goose's Gold (A to Z Mysteries, #7)
  • The X'ed-out X-ray (A to Z Mysteries, #24)
  • The Deadly Dungeon (A to Z Mysteries, #4)
  • The Zombie Zone (A to Z Mysteries, #26)
  • The Falcon's Feathers (A to Z Mysteries, #6)
  • The Yellow Yacht (A to Z Mysteries, #25)
  • The Panda Puzzle (A to Z Mysteries, #16)
  • The Canary Caper (A to Z Mysteries, #3)
  • Pirates (Magic Tree House Research Guide, #4)
  • The School Skeleton (A to Z Mysteries, #19)
  • The Orange Outlaw (A to Z Mysteries, #15)
  • The Absent Author (A to Z Mysteries, #1)
  • The Empty Envelope (A to Z Mysteries, #5)
  • Twisters and Other Terrible Storms (Magic Tree House Research Guide, #8)
  • The White Wolf (A to Z Mysteries, #23)
  • The Runaway Racehorse (A to Z Mysteries, #18)

Magic Tree House (1 - 10 of 57 books)
  • Dinosaurs Before Dark (Magic Tree House, #1)
  • The Knight at Dawn (Magic Tree House, #2)
  • Mummies in the Morning (Magic Tree House, #3)
  • Pirates Past Noon (Magic Tree House, #4)
  • Night of the Ninjas (Magic Tree House, #5)
  • Afternoon on the Amazon (Magic Tree House, #6)
  • Sunset of the Sabertooth (Magic Tree House, #7)
  • Midnight on the Moon (Magic Tree House, #8)
  • Dolphins at Daybreak (Magic Tree House, #9)
  • Ghost Town at Sundown (Magic Tree House, #10)