Start by marking “The Selfie Generation: How Our Self-Images Are Changing Our Notions of Privacy, Sex, Consent, and Culture” as Want to Read:

Whether it's Kim Kardashian uploading picture after picture to Instagram or your roommate posting a mid-vacation shot to Facebook, selfies receive mixed reactions. But are selfies more than, as many critics lament, a symptom of a self-absorbed generation?

Millennial Alicia Eler's The Selfie Generation is the first book to delve fully into this ubiquitous and much-maligned
Published November 7th 2017 by Skyhorse

To ask other readers questions about The Selfie Generation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Selfie Generation

Start your review of The Selfie Generation: How Our Self-Images Are Changing Our Notions of Privacy, Sex, Consent, and Culture
Cecilia Mah
Apr 08, 2018 rated it did not like it
This book was not organized and the topics had no real direction. The transition were not smooth. It was very hard to stay focused or have the urge to continue reading.
Jbussen
Jul 24, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: a-in-kailua, a-in-pls
Very little decent material. Skimmed most of what I did read. The writing style was disjointed and at times I wondered if there was an editor. Author is clearly writing for women and she has an agenda without any vision to explain even un-clearly . From another reviewer:
"Maybe it's the still-nascent culture of selfies and social media, but Eler never quite finds a theme or an organizing principle for her work. There's no flow from chapter to chapter: most ideas drift by with scant analysis or
Kelly
I heard about this book on one my regularly-listened-to podcasts, "Why'd you push that button?" And it's pretty true to what that podcast aims at: exploring why it is we engage in the online behaviors we do. Eler's book is at times repetitive, and while she circles a lot of really interesting phenomenon, I don't think she dove in quite as deep as she could have to take this from an okay read to a really powerful one. The selfie, as she posits, is a means of not just self expression, but a means ...more
Ruth
Nov 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Before reading this review, please note that I received The Selfie Generation from Thomas Allen & Son Ltd. in exchange for an honest review.

I can’t remember the last time I read a non-fiction book, so reading The Selfie Generation by Alicia Eler was a welcome change for me.

I was intrigued by this book, but I wasn’t sure if it was going to be an in-depth scientific analysis of the social media habits of millennials or a more fun take on selfies written by a millennial. In the end, it was a
John Van
Jul 05, 2018 rated it did not like it
some good ideas, but bogged down by her own agenda, a tedious read...
Demetria
Jun 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
I thought it was going to be more analytical especially with the subtitle of how it's changing things. The whole book is more of a commentary about how things are that even the most casual user of social media outlets will have already noticed. It was a struggle to finish because I felt that the author was telling me things I already knew. There wasn't a lot of depth to the book.
Stephanie
Feb 17, 2018 rated it did not like it
I find the topic interesting, so I pushed through, but the writing was inescapably off-putting--it read more like an undergraduate essay interlaced with (self-consciously ironic) use of social media conventions (hashtags like #connect, abbreviations like TBH, and doubled punctuation?!). There were also grammatical and spelling errors that should have been caught in the editing. I found the best chapter to be the one on "meta-selfie advertising," but the rest was rather less than I had hoped for. ...more
Jay Gabler
A fast and fascinating read about the promise and perils of our digital moment. I reviewed The Selfie Generation for The Tangential.
Surly
Apr 11, 2018 rated it did not like it
I typically reserve one-star reviews for work that is utterly abysmal, so I want to preface this review by noting that Selfie Generation is not all bad. Eler offers some truly great ideas in this book: her reporting on social media surveillance and the Standing Rock pipeline protests; her criticism of selfies in the context of the Clinton 2016 campaign; her discussion of selfies and liberation for transgender persons. But those good ideas are lost in a sea of sloppy (and sometimes lazy) writing. ...more
Mary
Mar 28, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I first heard about this book on the podcast, "Why'd You Push That Button ", and was intrigued by the premise. Unfortunately, I just couldn't get past the writing style and the lack of cohesion between chapters. There are elements which are fascinating, like the examination of selfie culture in different countries, or an analysis of the criticism that is leveraged at predominantly young women as part of selfie culture. However, it seemed like the author was trying to cover far too much material ...more
Fran Hudson
Jan 24, 2019 rated it did not like it
This book was so painful to read. It felt disorganized and I often found myself not knowing what the author is talking about. I never really got to know the author because she was constantly quoting other people. The works cited pages take up 20 pages front and back because I would say 70% of this book was not her own words and thought.
Frieda
Jan 04, 2018 rated it did not like it
This book is perfect for individuals who have no idea what a selfie is, which is sort of tough to find in today's world. There was a lot of repetitive information which leaves me to think that the author could have easily shortened it to article length.
Leigh
Dec 25, 2017 rated it liked it
An interesting analysis of the social dynamics of selfies. The book has a feminist slant, apparently women take far more selfies than males do and selfies are more popular with youngsters.
Elina Vainikainen
Feb 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Tietokirjaksi osin heppoinen ja huonosti toimitettu, lisäksi kirjoittajalla ärsyttäviä maneereita kuten hashtagien viljeleminen leipätekstissä. Sisältö kuitenkin pääosin rautaa, ja perustelee itsensä hyvänä aikalaiskuvauksena.
Rebecca MacDonald
Oct 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
The content in this book is phenomenal, but it is unfortunate that the writing is a bit disjointed and there isn't a great flow. But - is this emblematic of the fast paced media culture we are currently living within? I don't know. Either way, worth the read.
Betsy Mills
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
Tries to dispel the notion that selfie taking is a byproduct of narcissim, but rather the new tool of choice for self expression. Not buying it.
Chris
Jul 30, 2018
Sheena
Jul 30, 2018
Andréa
Note: I accessed a digital review copy of this book through Edelweiss.
Kevin Garcia

• The Big Picture: On the Origins of Life, Meaning, and the Universe Itself
  • Good and Mad: The Revolutionary Power of Women's Anger
  • Kids These Days: Human Capital and the Making of Millennials
  • The Neverending Story
  • Tactics for Criminal Patrol: Vehicle Stops, Drug Discovery and Officer Survival
  • When: The Scientific Secrets of Perfect Timing