Start by marking “For Want of Water and Other Poems” as Want to Read:
For Want of Water and Other Poems

For Want of Water and Other Poems

Searing verses set on the Mexican border about war and addiction, love and sexual violence, grief and loss, from an American Book Award-winning author. Selected by Gregory Pardlo as winner of the National Poetry Series.
El Paso is one of the safest cities in the United States, while across the river, Ciudad Juarez suffers a history of femicides and a horrific drug war. Wi
Published October 17th 2017 by Beacon Press

To ask other readers questions about For Want of Water and Other Poems, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about For Want of Water and Other Poems

Start your review of For Want of Water and Other Poems
Kirsty
Sep 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: august-2017
Pimentel's poems are searingly evocative, emotive, bleak, dark, and packed to the brim with violence and heartbreak. There is a sensual feel to the whole, too; she weaves together so many themes and emotions in rather a masterful way. For Want of Water almost bubbles over with its grief, and is immensely powerful in consequence.
Caitlin
Apr 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
I liked this collection, although I think I definitely need to reread it to absorb the language and flow better. There was a lot of ache and sorrow in these ones, and I thought Pimentel did well putting emotion into words. Overall a solid book.
Natasha
Jun 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
This collection of 50+ poems are certainly a moving and at times harrowing account of the lives affected in the dangerous areas threatened by drugs and crimes. Some of the poems are more like short notes and some are similar to the Japanese haiku. But all resonates the deep suffering the writers have gone through. Highly recommended to fans of literature!
Shamiram
Mar 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: poetry
“Each time I enter a memory, it changes with my entrance.”
Caleb Mitchum
Jul 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
I got to meet Sasha where I was working as staff and she was faculty. She gave a wonderfully engaging presentation about language, concluding with readings from her work. I didn’t get to interact with her very much. I was intimidated and found myself reading her reactions to the things I had to say about poetry derisively (which she would be totally entitled to do, considering my lack of knowledge) so I found myself making excuses. She came off as so fiercely intelligent and also incredibly stau ...more
Caroline
Apr 12, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition

The only poem that really stands out in my memory is the title poem. Pimentel's phrasing can be very fussy and opaque. And this is a personal opinion, but I don't feel like your notes section should include quite so many "stolen" lines. I'm reading your book to hear your lines, not someone else's (this is totally different from referencing something that isn't an actual quotation). I always hate when I'm reading a book of poetry and fall in love with a line, only to read in the notes th
Jordan
Jan 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
Though there are Pimentel's lyrical, imagistic voice is crystallized brilliantly in a few these poems, in the rest it doesn't quite all come together. Her idiosyncratic diction can be cumbersome at times, and her metaphors are often frustratingly opaque. That being said, even the poems that didn't quite work for me were still interesting.
Mike
Jan 08, 2018 rated it liked it
5 stars for the border poems about Ciudad Juárez, and the ones about her mother and father, but the poems she wrote about getting divorced and getting married to a guy who is also getting divorced are some of the most solipsistic and tone-deaf poems I have read in quite some time.
mad
Jun 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Pimentel's writing is lovely, but I'm afraid that most of the imagery and meaning went right over my head. Definitely didn't help my self-confidence when it comes to "getting" poetry.

(Full disclosure: I received a free electronic ARC for review through Edelweiss.)
Mauzi
May 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: bright-star
This was beautifully written, and very evocative. I'm generally not a poetry person, but I did enjoy this.
Lindsey
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: drama-poetry, reviews
To be honest, none of the poems in this collection really grabbed me. There were one or two that had powerful lines but overall I didn't find the same connection or emotion that the other reviewers found. I just wasn't that moved.

I received an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Kelly Duarte
May 08, 2018
christina
Jan 31, 2019
XD
Oct 17, 2017
Joseph Callery
rated it did not like it
Mar 03, 2018

• Brute: Poems
  • So Far So Good: Final Poems: 2014-2018
  • If They Come for Us
  • The Twenty-Ninth Year
Born in Manila and raised in the U.S. and Saudi Arabia, Sasha Pimentel is a Filipina poet and author of For Want of Water (Beacon Press, 2017), selected by Gregory Pardlo as a winner of the 2016 National Poetry Series, and Insides She Swallowed (West End Press, 2010), winner of the 2011 American Book Award. A finalist for the 2015 Rome Prize in Literature (American Academy of Arts and Letters), he ...more