Start by marking “Life of Lies” as Want to Read:
Life of Lies

Life of Lies

Fame, fortune...and a fatal obsession

Sahara Travis is used to being worshipped by adoring fans, but now someone is fixated on her in a dangerous way. After multiple attempts on her life, she reluctantly agrees to hire a security specialist for her protection, though the last thing she wants is some burly bodyguard invading her personal space.

Former army ranger Brendan McQ
Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Published September 26th 2017 by MIRA

To ask other readers questions about Life of Lies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Life of Lies

Pamela(AllHoney)
Sahara Travis is a successful actress, beloved by many, but now, someone wants her dead. After a few failed attempts on her life, her manager insists on a bodyguard. Brendan McQueen is a former army ranger and now a highly sought after bodyguard.

For some reason I wasn't very fond of Sahara. She cried all the time and was annoying in my opinion. The bodyguard, Brendan, showed up later in the story than I would have expected. I found his character to be under-developed. But it wasn't a bad story.
Anita
Sep 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, romantic-supense

I've read several Sharon Sala books and I have never read one like this one. The story was intriguing from the first page and it took me awhile to figure out what was happening. I enjoyed the romance, but the pace was flat. It's hard to keep interest when the characters barricade themselves in one spot. Add to that a number of major plot holes and this book just did not live up
Elaine
Someone is out to murder actress Sahara Travis and they don’t seem to mind what the method is, as long as she dies!  When her mother is found murdered and her father can’t be found, the mystery deepens but it is clear she needs protection. Ex-army ranger Brendan McQueen is brought in to be her bodyguard. Further attempts are made on her life as family secrets start to reveal possible motives but there will be more deaths, more attempts on Sahara’s life, danger, double crossing and deception befo ...more
Lyndi W.
Apr 26, 2017 marked it as not-going-there  ·  review of another edition
Everything is behind a spoiler tag because I FUCKING KNEW IT and was right all along! The goddamn blurb ruins the mystery plot.

(view spoiler)
Dawn ♥ romance
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: suspense
I really enjoyed this romantic suspense with lots of fast paced exciting action that kept me totally absorbed. I liked that they showed a movie star who was a down to earth good person. Although it was an instant romance, all the events more than compensated. Someone is trying to kill movie star Sahara and after a couple attempts she hires bodyguard Brendan.
Cheri
May 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really good suspense novel. Loved the H&h. SS is one of my favorite authors for romantic suspense!
Bea  Charmed
Sharon Sala has been on my radar for a while, I even have one of her small town romances in my TBR, but this was the first book of hers that I read. Hollywood glamour, an ex-Ranger, romance, mystery, thrills, family drama, it had so many elements that I like.

Sahara (which I kept reading as Sarah) left home 15 years ago and hasn't looked back. In the meantime she has become a hot Hollywood actress. While on set for a film, a wardrobe assistant eats some of her food and dies; the food was poisoned
Tonya Lucas
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
How would you approach Life, if you lived a Life Of Lies? What everyone thinks they know about you, isn’t truly who you are, but the lie you’ve been forced to live.
Sahara Travis who is at the height off her career in Hollywood, becomes a target of an evil person.
When the first attempt happens while on set, that’s just the beginning to what this killer will do to see her life snuffed out.
Former army ranger Brendan McQueen has been assigned a new job protecting a Hollywood actress, who has a tar
Jenny Jo Weir
This has to be the cutest “thriller” I’ve ever read! It’s adorable! It read like a PG13 “mystery”. I know the author wanted suspense but the sweetness of the clichés dominated over the intrigue. It’s a cute book even if that wasn’t the authors intention. It’s most likely meant to be suspenseful, with romance interweaved more than cute but that’s the dominant word in my brain when I think about this book. I enjoyed it very much. Even the parts that were way over the top came off silly more than a ...more
Christine
As I was reading this, it was like dejavu. I had read books just like this, characters just like this and just didn't find it fresh or interesting. Yes, a formula for romance novels has been followed by authors over and over but I have read too many and want more out of what I read.
charmaine White
Sep 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Outstanding

As always Sharon Salas more than delivers the goods.I couldn't put this story down,mystery ,suspense and thrills.With a love interest that didn't quite.
Ash
Sep 26, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3 stars for the action and the twist in the climax. Romance was totally blah and it was a bit annoying that Sarah would start "sobbing" after every few pages.
Rachel
Nov 04, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
Ugh. Not sure why I'm having such bad luck with books lately. This book seemed so promising, and the reviews were great.

I won't say it's bad, because it's definitely not bad. I've read MUCH worse. Here are my main complaints:

1.) I didn't connect with the main characters. They're okay, but they're also bleh. Nothing special or endearing or attractive to make me hang onto the story. I felt they were one-dimensional.

2.) The POV shifts were some of the most awkward I've ever encountered. The POV did
Kate Vale
Actress Sahara Travis is living with secrets even she doesn't know about until a worker on her latest movie set is poisoned by food meant for Sahara. When she then learns her mother has been murdered and her father's missing, she goes home to New Orleans to arrange a funeral. But she is caught up in other attempts on her life.

Her agent then arranges for a bodyguard, former Army ranger, Brendon McQueen. He's determined to keep her safe and begins looking into who might want Sahara dead and why.

W
Sally Lindsay-briggs
What an enjoyable story! There were lots of missed attempts on Sahara's life. She is an attractive and feisty actress who needs a bodyguard. He is a hunk and a half but so very good at his job. The novel kept me reading to find out who was trying to kill Sahara. A lot of of book was set in New Orleans, where my sister used to live. A lively city. You will love this setting, not to mention Brendan's love interest in the lady he is protecting.
Donna Repsher
I've been a fan of Sharon Sala's novels for almost as long as she's been writing them, but this "movie star and her bodyguard" romantic suspense novel was unexpected and quite a departure from her more recent novels, and I liked it but didn't love it, which is why it gets a 3.5 star rating from this reader/reviewer.

The movie star in question is actress Sahara Travis, who we meet mid-scene, on the set of a movie she's starring in. When they cut for lunch, she goes to her trailer and discovers the
Levie
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-book, meh
Who edited this book? The order of events should have been changed to allow for both better character and plot development as well as creating more suspense. The Hero isn't even introduced until after a third in!

Also, the first five chapters are a drawn-out love letter to the heroine. Our very weepy heroine. It shows the doctor falling in love with her after one look, her assistant thinking about how different and wonderful she is from other actors, her being a hero and preventing her assistant
Lisa
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received a free complimentary book from Net Galley, and I voluntarily reviewed it.

Sharon Sala is one of my favorite authors. She is a very prolific author who writes in several different genres and uses several different styles. All of them are grammatically perfect with very creative plots, and with interesting but lovable characters. Life of lies is no exception.

Sahara Travis is a famous actress who grew up in New Orleans but left as a teenager due to problems at home. Unfortunately, at the
Siany
Dec 26, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2017
I normally love this authors' books.
They usually consist of a great story-line, good characters and leave you with a feel good feeling by the time you are finished.

This started off interesting but events etc ended up happening so quickly, it was hard to keep up.
Sahara came across as a very immature woman considering her career/wealth etc. I didn't really warm up to her at all. After multiple attempts on her life, she acted like a spoilt brat with her bodyguard.
Now onto the bodyguard. There was Z
1-Click Addict Support Group
No longer just a job….

I love Sharon Sala’s stories! Her relatable characters and the emotional situations they find themselves in make her an insta-click for me. She can easily tap into the whole gamut of human behavior and emotions, making me feel each one, whether good or bad. Sahara and Brendan’s story had all these highs and lows, making it a new favorite!

“Too many secrets. Too many lies.”

At first glance, it was a horrible tragedy, but it soon became clear that incident was just the first
Elle
Feb 15, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I sort of expected more out of this. In fact, I read the blurb and thought: “This is the kind of book I like!” Not. In fact, it disappointed me, and I wanted to cry because of it. I suspected the truth from chapter 1. ONE!!! Freaking chapter ONE!!! Talk about disappointment! I felt no connection whatsoever to these characters, and no matter how much I wanted to feel the “chemistry” between Sahara and Brendan, it felt flat and completely forced. Maybe I’m just used to healthy banter and actual ta ...more
Allyson Abu-hajar
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sahara Travis, a beautiful actress, who has a mysterious stalker after her. After a second attempt on her life, she agrees to a bodyguard. When news that her mother was murdered in New Orleans, Sahara reluctantly heads back to her old stomping grounds. She takes her personal assistant with her, Lucy. Once in her old home, she discovers that her father is missing as well.

Brendan McQueen becomes Sahara's bodyguard. He's never lost a client yet. Sahara is different, and the more he gets to know the
Kim
Jul 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fav-authors
Life of Lies is just that. She's in danger and he's a bodyguard. It's a story that can be made into a movie. Oh, wait it was, but Sharon Sala takes these characters on an emotional and terrifying journey to find the person behind the attempts on her life and to uncover the secrets of a past that was far from perfect. Can he keep her safe and will they find the person behind the attempts on her life by revealing her family secrets.

An actress who's life could be made into a movie. A bodyguard who
Lisa Gibbs
Sep 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! Mega movie star + bodyguard and a stalker and a life of lives = a great story.

Savanah Travis is a huge star with a big problem. She must have 9 lives because she has escaped death twice before her manager hires Brenden McQueen to protect her. He is large of full of muscles. He and Savanah must figure out who is trying to kill her and why is hot and steam New Orleans.

There are lots of secrets and the action and a twist at the end. Savanah is tough and her acting skill come in very handy. B
Tina

Probably my least favorite of the Sharon Sala books I've been listening to. I had a hard time connecting to Sahara. Might be my internal bias against movie star main characters. But also I just wasn't feeling her.

But mainly I did not like how the suspense elements played out. The reveal of the villain felt like it was deployed for shock value. Not enough build up or lead up and definitely not a great pay off. Sure the villain gets it in the end, but I would have liked for them to reali
Ria Turk
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Starlet Sahara Travis is beautiful, talented, and adored by many, but when several attempts on her life fail, she realizes that someone out there is out to get her. Her manager convinces her to hire Brendan McQueen, former Army Ranger and excellent bodyguard. Then she finds out shocking news - her mother has been murdered and her father is missing. Sahara, Brendan, and her assistant Lucy fly to New Orleans to settle things there, but little do they know a killer has followed them.

Sharon Sala al
Tammi Looney
Feb 21, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Glad this was free. Would have been highly disappointed had I paid for this book. Not impressed with the level of mystery or suspense- lacked the buildup of intrigue. It seemed to start off with a struggle to gain momentum and keep it throughout the book. Several times during the book I was aggravated with the lackluster in the story line. A few glimmers of hope midway in made me think it was improving. Those moments were short lived. Several times throughout the book I wanted to just put it dow ...more
Colleen
Nov 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a really good book. Sharon Sala is one of my favorite authors. This was about Sahara Travis who is a famous actress and someone is trying to kill her not once but twice before her longtime manager gets a bodyguard for her. Brendan McQueen is a former army ranger and now Sahara’s bodyguard. Then her Mother is murdered in New Orleans and her father goes missing, so Sahara has to go home to take of her mother’s funeral and other things. She takes her assistant Lucy with her because she is ...more
Dallass
Wow, I did expect that.

I love Sharon Sala’s books, but haven’t read the last handful of titles. But my library’s OverDrive just got this so I snapped it up, and boy, did I enjoy this. Sahara is a woman with a heartbreaking and complicated history, and the attempts on her life have forced her to confront her past.

Billie is a dear, and Brendan is the typical gorgeous ex-Army Ranger that you’d expect to find in a romance suspense mystery. The identity of the stalker blew me away as I was so not exp
Kim Reads (Read Your Writes Book Reviews)
Reviewed by Gemini

I have read several books by Sharon Sala. I’ll have to admit that the storylines can get a little farfetched but they are always still entertaining. In Life of Lies, the heroine, Sahara Travis is a very successful Hollywood actress with a very complicated childhood. Multiple attempts on her life, prompt Sahara to enlist the services of personal security expert Brendan McQueen. Brendan’s reputation precedes him. He goes to great lengths to keep her safe while trying to keep an e
  • Race to Kill (Love and Scandal, #1)
  • Mistletoe Miracles (Ransom Canyon, #7)
  • Crazy for You (Life and Love on the Lam, #2)
  • Edge of Midnight (Chasing Evil, #3)
  • Honeymoon To Die For (Slye Temp #2)
  • Every Move She Makes (Who's Watching Now, #1)
  • Brutal Obsession (Safeguard, #1)
  • Montana Dog Soldier (Brotherhood Protectors, #6)
  • Watching You (Hollywood Heat, #1)
  • Nothing To Lose (Grey Justice, #1)
  • Deep As The Dead (The Mindhunters, #9)
  • The Diggers Rest Hotel (Charlie Berlin, #1)
  • Against the Odds (The Raines of Wind Canyon, #7)
  • Show Me the Murder
  • Kansas City Cowboy (The Precinct: Task Force #2; The Precinct #18)
  • Because I'm Watching (Virtue Falls, #3)
  • The View from Alameda Island
  • Betting the Bad Boy (Behind the Bar, #3)

Biography

Sharon Sala is a long-time member of RWA, as well as a member of OKRWA. She has 100 plus books in print, published in five different genres – Romance, Young Adult, Western, Fiction, and Women’s Fiction. First published in 1991, she’s an eight-time RITA finalist, winner of the Janet Dailey Award, five-time Career Achievement winner from RT Magazine, five time winner of the National Reader