Start by marking “Snow & Rose” as Want to Read:
Snow & Rose

Snow & Rose

A New York Times bestselling author-illustrator brings readers into the woods to meet two young sisters and a strange bit of magic in this reimagining of the classic but little-known fairy tale "Snow White and Rose Red."

Snow and Rose didn't know they were in a fairy tale. People never do....

Once, they lived in a big house with spectacular gardens and an army of servants.

O
Published October 10th 2017 by Random House Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Snow & Rose, please sign up.
Em
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Liz not a spoiler but what?

Start your review of Snow & Rose
Cristina Monica
Now, this book is lovely, alright? It has so very darling illustrations inside that actually illustrate what you want to see, not what’s easiest for the illustrator to illustrate.

Rose & Snow are lovely as well. I wouldn’t mind having them as my two daughters in some alternative fantasy universe. They are different from each other, one more responsible than the other, and yet they are both endearing.

I also liked the fairy tale vibe. Of course, this is a fairy tale retelling, so one would expect
Mischenko
May 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Snow & Rose by Emily Winfield Martin is an enchanting retelling of "Snow-White and Rose-Red". As soon as we saw this at the bookstore we quickly snatched it up. I've always admired retellings and this is one of my favorites.

Snow and Rose are daughters born to a nobleman. Their mother, from a common family, was a painter and sculptor. Their parents loved each other and loved their daughters more than anything. At one point, Snow and Rose had everything they wanted, including a beautiful home and
Miranda Reads
May 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
description

Snow and Rose didn't know that they were living in a fairy tale--people never do.
Snow and Rose once had the perfect family - a beautifully grand house, a loving mother and an adoring father.

But then one day, their father disappeared.

He went into the woods and never came back. And without their nobleman father, their gorgeous home soon was taken.

And their mother quickly faded from grief.
The only way is the scary way.
And so Snow and Rose head out into the woods - determined to save their
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Snow & Rose (2017) is a charming middle grade level retelling of the Snow-White and Rose-Red fairy tale with illustrations by the author, Emily Winfield Martin. Final review, first posted on Fantasy Literature:

description

Rose and Snow are the beloved eleven and nine year old daughters of a nobleman and his commoner wife, a sculptor. Rose has black hair and rosy cheeks, and is patient and gentle; Snow has white-blonde hair and icy blue eyes, and has a wilder and more adventurous personality. They have a fat
Hannah Greendale
Rose had hair like threads of black silk and cheeks like two red petals and a voice that was gentle and sometimes hard to hear. Snow had hair like white swan down and eyes the color of a winter sky, with a laugh that was sudden and wild.
Furrawn
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Snow. Rose. A bear. A questionable gnome. A mushroom. Sisters. A white garden and a red garden. One who dreams and one who thinks. A knitted scarf. A magic librarian. Kindness. Disappearance. Compassion. Kittens.

Beautiful book. Gorgeous lyrical language.
I’ve loved fairy tales all my life. This ranks highly:)
Scarlett Readz and Runz....Through Novel Time & Distance
This beautiful book of Snow & Rose is the reimagined chapter-book version of the lesser-known Grimm fairy tale, “Snow White and Rose Red.” This is one of the tales many children in Europe grow up with and that has been adapted to puppet theater plays and children’s movies overseas many a times.

Once wealthy before their father disappeared, sisters Snow and Rose and their mother now live in a small cottage in the woods. All of them are grieving for their loss and cope with it in different ways. T
Rose and her younger sister, Snow, grew up in a splendid mansion. There they had a garden, a vast library, a statue gallery - and most importantly, two parents who loved them.

That's how they lived until their architect father took a journey into the woods, from which he never returned. After a year, he was presumed dead. Their mother, a noble cut off from her family for marrying an untitled man, no longer had the means to stay in that wondrous house. So now she, her daughters, and the family ca
Katie.dorny
Jan 19, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
This was okay, I didn’t love it.

It just seemed to jumped from scene to scene a bit to hardly for me. It also made Snow so petulant and annoying - regardless of her age.

Also I now have a lot of unanswered questions regarding the huntsman.

The writing was enjoyable but the story just lacked in too many places for me to love this.

But I did enjoy the illustrations paired with this tale.
Mir
May 11, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The illustrations were sweet and I also really liked some of the visual imagery used in the prose. I'm afraid I otherwise found the writing rather dull and the plot poorly paced.
Nicole Beaudry
Every once in a while, a book crosses your path exactly when you need it. I have been stressed, exhausted, sick, and patiently carrying around a great memoir with me (James Atlas' Shadow in the Garden). Working in a children's library, lots of beautiful books end up sitting on my desk. When I saw the cover for Snow & Rose, I knew I had to set it aside for myself, maybe for a snowy day off. Snow White & Rose Red has always been one of my very favourite fairy tales, so I had high expectations goin ...more
Cortney LaScola - The Bookworm Myrtle Beach
What a cute book! Snow White and Rose Red was my favorite fairy tale growing up, and I was so excited to have a longer version to read... Great illustrations too!
Amanda Kratz
This is a cute charming story for a Middle Grade reader. I made the mistake of thinking it was YA.

There are beautiful watercolor illustrations through out the books that are incredibly sweet. They remind me a bit of Beatrix Potter.

The story feels very much like you are being told a fairy tale. There is no character growth or development and things just happen to the characters. Each chapter is a new encounter with the title characters, Snow & Rose and some unlikely, person, place, object. Parts
samantha  (books-are-my-life20)
very sweet story and beautifully illustrated it was like a was watching a movie with all of the details from the mysterious library that doesn't have books, but instead skeleton keys and other intriguing objects, to their cottage is warm, cozy, and 0h-so-inviting. The only drawback is that the ending was a little to predictable for me but still, this was a beautiful book I would like to read next winter.
bee  ˘͈ᵕ˘͈
three stars ∗ wow this was such a cute little whimsical book! i adored the illustrations in it immensely, and thought that the story itself was fun and lovely!
Jenny Lawson
Aug 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautifully written and illustrated.
Ana
“Snow and Rose didn't know that they were living in a fairy tale - people never do.”

This book is oh-so lovely! The watercolour illustrations are gorgeous, though I would have loved to see more of the characters portrayed inside the story, like the enigmatic librarian, while the decorative little drawings scattered across the pages were a really wonderful touch.

The storytelling cadence of this “Snow White and Rose Red” retelling is a little off, with a quiet, slow-paced start, it feels a bit too
Olivia | Liv's Library
This was absolutely ADORABLE & everything I could want in a winter book! The author is so talented to be able to write AND draw such beautiful illustrations! ...more
Kate Willis
The kids’ section at my library has this “new arrivals” shelf where all the books are facing out so you can see their covers. It’s really dangerous. I’m blaming it for the huge stack of books I took home. :D

The first thing that drew me to this book was the aesthetically pleasing cover. Two sisters, their hair blowing in the wind and the trees creating an inviting circle into the woods. Turns out, this is based on one of my all-time favorite fairy tales, Snow White and Rose Red. <3 As I read, I d
Madeleine (Top Shelf Text)
Note: Top Shelf Text received a copy of this text from Kid Lit Exchange in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own!

I love a good fairytale. When I was in college and working on my own middle grade manuscript, I did a lot of research into the structures, archetypes, and themes of fairytales. After a lifetime of fairytale fanatics, a year of reading research about the original fairytales and writing my own, I feel pretty well-versed in the subject. Snow & Rose is a new middle grade
Jess Darlington
Nov 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very fast read but I loved it, it was so cozy and set in a magical, dangerous, fairy tale forest. However I wish it had been longer as the ending felt very rushed and left on a bit of a cliffhanger which has left me very unsatisfied!!! But I loved this cozy magical story!
Katie Ziegler (Life Between Words)
3 star read, but 5 star illustrations! So I’m giving it a median score of 4...

Super sweet story, but I didn’t feel very connected to it. I think I would have loved the atmosphere when I was younger, but that wasn’t a strong enough pull for me as an adult to pull this up into *exceptional* reading territory. Still, very excited to share this with Marigold someday. And like I said, it doesn’t get much prettier than Emily Winfield Martin’s illustrations!
Jay G
Feb 14, 2020 rated it liked it
Want to see more bookish things from me? Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfer...

After their father goes missing in the Woods, Snow, Rose and their mother are forced to move into a small cottage. While living in the Woods, they meet many creatures, both good and evil as they wait for their father's return.

The watercolour illustrations are the best part of this book and a great addition to the story. The story is quite slow paced and I had a difficult time getting i
Alli Brooks
Jan 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have some unanswered questions... like (view spoiler).

I did really enjoy this though. The atmosphere was exactly what I wanted it to be going into it and I had a delightful time.
Brenda A
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comic-con-2017
A fairly typical novel with all the trappings you would expect from a fairytale retelling. It’s full of whimsy and hope, and even when there’s dangers lurking it doesn’t feel anything else but light and airy. The sisters’ relationship was sweet and the ending a suitable happy ever after.
Alexa
May 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
3.5 stars, with bonus .5 for the illustrations! It was definitely a cute spin on the Snow White & Rose Red fairytale I’m familiar with. I really liked the elements the author pulled from the original to incorporate into her story. ...more
milou  ☕️
I didn't really like the story but I adored all the illustrations
Swati
I have read all the usual fairy tales as a kid. Snow White, Cinderella, Hansel and Gretel. While they did entertain me, I was never carried away into their worlds. (yes, I was a strange kid haha).

Although this is a different take on Snow White and Rose Red, the book mesmerized me with its evocative and enthralling writing that spun magic just with words. I enjoyed the alluring descriptions of places, people, and things, which made everything sound so enchanted, just like the woods in the book.

Ho
Ola Magick
Jun 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
This story is simple but had such a big impact on me, maybe it's baceus it had so many things that are oddly identical to me and my sister especially, and other that were methaphorically very close to our past.
I think that this is one of the strenght of this story. Add the fairytale-like atmosphere and the beautiful illustration and it truly was a little gem of a book that can be apprecciate at any age.

TW: a parent and a friend going missing, soft mentions of depression.
Carina Olsen
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
When I saw this gorgeous cover, I could not resist buying this book. I also adore reading middle grade stories, and fairy tales, so this one sounded amazing. And so I couldn't resist reading it when my hardcover has arrived. But oh, I'm so sad to say that I was disappointed. I thought it would be amazing. But it was not.

My biggest issue with this book was the writing. It all sort of felt awkward. I didn't enjoy it at all. I didn't connect with the story or the characters. To me, it was written i
Play Book Tag: (Poll Ballot Tally) Snow & Rose by Emily Winfield Martin - 4 stars 1 7 Aug 03, 2020 03:03PM
Squabbling Dragons: Snow & Rose SPOILERS 2 8 May 18, 2018 06:42PM
Squabbling Dragons: Snow & Rose SPOILER-FREE 1 2 May 07, 2018 05:54AM
Squabbling Dragons: Snow & Rose 1 1 May 07, 2018 05:47AM

• The Someday Suitcase
  • Warren the 13th and the 13-Year Curse (Warren the 13th, #3)
  • Unicorns
  • Two Truths and a Lie: Histories and Mysteries
  • How to Be a Pirate
  • The Extremely Inconvenient Adventures of Bronte Mettlestone (Kingdoms & Empires, #1)
  • A is for Apple, Unless . . .
  • The House of One Hundred Clocks
  • Greenglass House (Greenglass House #1)
  • Winterhouse (Winterhouse, #1)
  • Why Beethoven Threw the Stew: And Lots More Stories About the Lives of Great Composers
  • A Secret of Birds & Bone
  • Science Comics: Coral Reefs: Cities of the Ocean
  • The Mask Of Aribella
  • A Pinch of Magic (A Pinch of Magic, #1)
  • The Great Treehouse War
  • Girl on a Motorcycle
  • Small Spaces (Small Spaces, #1)
Emily Winfield Martin makes paintings, books, and other things. She is the author and illustrator of Day Dreamers (forthcoming, 2014), Dream Animals (2013), Oddfellow's Orphanage (2012) and The Black Apple's Paper Doll Primer (2010). When she was small, she spent every moment drawing, reading, dressing rabbits in fancy clothes, and having many peculiar daydreams. When she grew up, she began to ill ...more