Start by marking “Snow & Rose” as Want to Read:
Snow & Rose

Snow & Rose

A New York Times bestselling author-illustrator brings readers into the woods to meet two young sisters and a strange bit of magic in this reimagining of the classic but little-known fairy tale "Snow White and Rose Red."

Snow and Rose didn't know they were in a fairy tale. People never do....

Once, they lived in a big house with spectacular gardens and an army of servants.

O
Published October 10th 2017 by Random House Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Snow & Rose, please sign up.
Em
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Liz Cheshire not a spoiler but what?

Mischenko
May 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Snow & Rose by Emily Winfield Martin is an enchanting retelling of "Snow-White and Rose-Red". As soon as we saw this at the bookstore we quickly snatched it up. I've always admired retellings and this is one of my favorites.

Snow and Rose are daughters born to a nobleman. Their mother, from a common family, was a painter and sculptor. Their parents loved each other and loved their daughters more than anything. At one point, Snow and Rose had everything they wanted, including a beautiful home
Lola
Now, this book is lovely, alright? It has so very darling illustrations inside that actually illustrate what you want to see, not what’s easiest for the illustrator to illustrate.

Rose & Snow are lovely as well. I wouldn’t mind having them as my two daughters in some alternative fantasy universe. They are different from each other, one more responsible than the other, and yet they are both endearing.

I also liked the fairy tale vibe. Of course, this is a fairy tale retelling, so one would exp
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Snow & Rose (2017) is a charming middle grade level retelling of the Snow-White and Rose-Red fairy tale with illustrations by the author, Emily Winfield Martin. Final review, first posted on Fantasy Literature:

description

Rose and Snow are the beloved eleven and nine year old daughters of a nobleman and his commoner wife, a sculptor. Rose has black hair and rosy cheeks, and is patient and gentle; Snow has white-blonde hair and icy blue eyes, and has a wilder and more adventurous personality. They have a
Hannah Greendale
Rose had hair like threads of black silk and cheeks like two red petals and a voice that was gentle and sometimes hard to hear. Snow had hair like white swan down and eyes the color of a winter sky, with a laugh that was sudden and wild.
Furrawn
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Snow. Rose. A bear. A questionable gnome. A mushroom. Sisters. A white garden and a red garden. One who dreams and one who thinks. A knitted scarf. A magic librarian. Kindness. Disappearance. Compassion. Kittens.

Beautiful book. Gorgeous lyrical language.
I’ve loved fairy tales all my life. This ranks highly:)
Scarlett Readz and Runz....Through Novel Time & Distance
This beautiful book of Snow & Rose is the reimagined chapter-book version of the lesser-known Grimm fairy tale, “Snow White and Rose Red.” This is one of the tales many children in Europe grow up with and that has been adapted to puppet theater plays and children’s movies overseas many a times.

Once wealthy before their father disappeared, sisters Snow and Rose and their mother now live in a small cottage in the woods. All of them are grieving for their loss and cope with it in different way
Katie.dorny
Jan 19, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
This was okay, I didn’t love it.
It just seemed to jumped from scene to scene a bit to hardly for me. It also made Snow so petulant and annoying - regardless of her age.
Also I now have a lot of unanswered questions regarding the huntsman.
The writing was enjoyable but the story just lacked in too many places for me to love this.
But I did enjoy the illustrations paired with this tale.
Miranda Reads
May 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely LOVED this one
Nicole Beaudry
Every once in a while, a book crosses your path exactly when you need it. I have been stressed, exhausted, sick, and patiently carrying around a great memoir with me (James Atlas' Shadow in the Garden). Working in a children's library, lots of beautiful books end up sitting on my desk. When I saw the cover for Snow & Rose, I knew I had to set it aside for myself, maybe for a snowy day off. Snow White & Rose Red has always been one of my very favourite fairy tales, so I had high expectati ...more
Cortney LaScola - The Bookworm, Myrtle Beach
What a cute book! Snow White and Rose Red was my favorite fairy tale growing up, and I was so excited to have a longer version to read... Great illustrations too!
samantha  (books-are-my-life20)
very sweet story and beautifully illustrated it was like a was watching a movie with all of the details from the mysterious library that doesn't have books, but instead skeleton keys and other intriguing objects, to their cottage is warm, cozy, and 0h-so-inviting. The only drawback is that the ending was a little to predictable for me but still, this was a beautiful book I would like to read next winter.
Amanda Kratz
This is a cute charming story for a Middle Grade reader. I made the mistake of thinking it was YA.

There are beautiful watercolor illustrations through out the books that are incredibly sweet. They remind me a bit of Beatrix Potter.

The story feels very much like you are being told a fairy tale. There is no character growth or development and things just happen to the characters. Each chapter is a new encounter with the title characters, Snow & Rose and some unlikely, person, place, object. Pa
brianna ♥
3.2 | wow this was such a cute little whimsical book! i adored the illustrations in it immensely, and thought that the story itself was fun and lovely!
Ana
“Snow and Rose didn't know that they were living in a fairy tale - people never do.”

This book is oh-so lovely! The watercolour illustrations are gorgeous, though I would have loved to see more of the characters portrayed inside the story, like the enigmatic librarian, while the decorative little drawings scattered across the pages were a really wonderful touch.

The storytelling cadence of this “Snow White and Rose Red” retelling is a little off, with a quiet, slow-paced start, it feels a bit too
Mir
May 11, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The illustrations were sweet and I also really liked some of the visual imagery used in the prose. I'm afraid I otherwise found the writing rather dull and the plot poorly paced.
Kate Willis
The kids’ section at my library has this “new arrivals” shelf where all the books are facing out so you can see their covers. It’s really dangerous. I’m blaming it for the huge stack of books I took home. :D

The first thing that drew me to this book was the aesthetically pleasing cover. Two sisters, their hair blowing in the wind and the trees creating an inviting circle into the woods. Turns out, this is based on one of my all-time favorite fairy tales, Snow White and Rose Red. <3 As I read,
Madeleine (Top Shelf Text)
Note: Top Shelf Text received a copy of this text from Kid Lit Exchange in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own!

I love a good fairytale. When I was in college and working on my own middle grade manuscript, I did a lot of research into the structures, archetypes, and themes of fairytales. After a lifetime of fairytale fanatics, a year of reading research about the original fairytales and writing my own, I feel pretty well-versed in the subject. Snow & Rose is a new middle gr
Brenda A
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comic-con-2017
A fairly typical novel with all the trappings you would expect from a fairytale retelling. It’s full of whimsy and hope, and even when there’s dangers lurking it doesn’t feel anything else but light and airy. The sisters’ relationship was sweet and the ending a suitable happy ever after.
Alli Brooks
Jan 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have some unanswered questions... like (view spoiler).

I did really enjoy this though. The atmosphere was exactly what I wanted it to be going into it and I had a delightful time.
Alexa
May 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
3.5 stars, with bonus .5 for the illustrations! It was definitely a cute spin on the Snow White & Rose Red fairytale I’m familiar with. I really liked the elements the author pulled from the original to incorporate into her story.
My eleven year old daughter loves this book. She can be a picky reader, but she has claimed this one to be one of her favorite reads. Not only did she devour the story, she then toted the book along with her, everywhere she went, drawing and penciling little figures and nature items from the book. ( Snow and Rose, mushrooms, goats, items from the library, a fox...)

This retelling of Snow-White and Rose Red was beautifully done in both story and illustrations. It holds quite true to the original
Brandy Painter
This is a beautiful retelling of a tale many children are not familiar with because Disney hasn't touched it yet. It is perfect for fairy tale lovers who are new to reading novels. The chapters are short. The illustrations are gorgeous. Both Snow and Rose are layered characters and very different. The world is steeped in the original tale while also having its own sense of place. It isn't very often that you find a book that feels so other worldly written for the younger age of the MG spectrum t ...more
Donna
This is a children's book. It had a unique take on fairy tales. I thought the opening was clever and I can say the same thing about the ending. I liked the characters too and the mystery of the forest. The one thing though, that kept this at 3 stars and not 4, is that some of the elements in the story line could have shined a little more with some added detail. Now, I get that this is a children's book, but even the kids I know, would have had a few of the same questions I had. So 3 stars for th ...more
Kelly
This book was so sweet and beautiful.

The illustrations were stunning. Since this isn't a finished copy, not all of the art was included or completed, but I actually really loved seeing some of the sketches as well as the finished art. The little embellishments really added to the story and I can tell this will be a gorgeous book in its physical form.

I was a bit skeptical when I read the first third of the book because each chapter seemed a bit disjointed. However, I was impressed by how the auth
milou  ☕️
I didn't really like the story but I adored all the illustrations
Andy Plemmons
Apr 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you thought Emily Martin was only a picture book author, think again. She proves on this middle grade novel that she can weave together a cast of characters to tell an enchanting fairytale story. I loved so many characters but especially the librarian who said, "To find out what a story's really about, you don't ask the writer. You ask the reader."
Josiphine/Tessa
Nov 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fairy tale lovers
4.5

Absolutely delightful. The illustrations are breathtaking, but the story itself is good too.
Anna Mussmann
Reading this book made me cross and peevish. It’s a middle grade retelling of the Grimm Brothers’ “Snow White and Rose Red.” In some ways, it’s lovely. The overall vibe conveys genuine affection for fairytales, and I was excited to realize the author had also created the detailed illustrations--I loved the imagery of mushrooms and woodland life. That very charm ended up being a problem for me, though, because it made me twice as frustrated when aspects of the book became so. . . frustrating. Pee ...more
Blue
Feb 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This is most definitely a story within the lives of the characters, a chapter. That does fit fairy-tales, minus the 'happily ever after,' but the beginning summarises the previous life chapter and it is referenced, so I did need to pause at the end for my brain to tidy the end up as this was truely between being a fairytale and being a novel.

I would say this book would be cute as a bedtime story, but might want to avoid it for elementary school grades, then it is of-age for middle grade through
Megan (ReadingRover)
What a wonderful reimagining of a classic fairytale! Reading it felt like being a kid again when you pick your first book that has a bit of magic in it. It was truly enchanting. There was an eerie wood, strange creatures and a mystery to be solved, along with odd people and places. The characters had depth and life in them. All added together it made the perfect story. Not to mention the delicate page illuminations and illustrations throughout.
Squabbling Dragons: Snow & Rose SPOILERS 2 6 May 18, 2018 06:42PM
Squabbling Dragons: Snow & Rose SPOILER-FREE 1 2 May 07, 2018 05:54AM
Squabbling Dragons: Snow & Rose 1 1 May 07, 2018 05:47AM

• La Princesa and the Pea
  • Little Red: A Fizzingly Good Yarn
  • Arthur and the Golden Rope (The Brownstone's Mythical Collection, #1)
  • The Wolf Hour
  • Rapunzel
  • Finding Langston
  • Princess Cora and the Crocodile
  • Swan: The Life and Dance of Anna Pavlova
  • Winterhouse (Winterhouse, #1)
  • The Mermaid
  • West of the Moon
  • A Necklace of Raindrops and Other Stories
  • The Lost Frost Girl
  • An Illustrated Treasury of Scottish Folk and Fairy Tales
Emily Winfield Martin makes paintings, books, and other things. She is the author and illustrator of Day Dreamers (forthcoming, 2014), Dream Animals (2013), Oddfellow's Orphanage (2012) and The Black Apple's Paper Doll Primer (2010). When she was small, she spent every moment drawing, reading, dressing rabbits in fancy clothes, and having many peculiar daydreams. When she grew up, she began to ill ...more
“To find out what a story's really about,' the Librarian said, 'you don't ask the writer. You ask the reader.” 11 likes
“Snow and Rose didn't know that they were living in a fairy tale--people never do.” 4 likes