Start by marking “Swing it, Sunny” as Want to Read:
Swing it, Sunny

Swing it, Sunny

(Sunny #2)

Summer's over and it's time for Sunny Lewin to enter the strange and unfriendly hallways of . . . middle school. When her Gramps calls her from Florida to ask how she's doing, she always tells him she's fine. But the truth? Sunny is NOT having the best time.
Not only is the whole middle school thing confusing . . . but life at home is confusing, too. Sunny misses her
Hardcover, First edition, 224 pages
Published September 12th 2017 by Graphix

Start your review of Swing it, Sunny
Lola
May 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
I did this wrong, because I should have read Sunny Side Up first, but still, I understood and enjoyed this heart-warming and yet heartbreaking family and friendship-centered graphic novel. I so needed Sunny and her brother to reconcile otherwise my heart would have broken for real.
Calista
I do like Jennifer Holm's take on school and life. She's light while still dealing with real issues.

Sunny can't figure out her brother. She loves and misses him and he's been sent to military school where he is angry at the world. He seems like a different person and she doesn't know what's going on. It's set in the 70s so there are reference that bring back my childhood like the 6 million dollar man. I remember watching that.

Sunny also meets someone new who teachers her how to twirl flags for
David Schaafsma
Oct 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Follow-up to Sunny Side Up, and again, pretty sunny, mild, sweet stories of a girl in middle school in the seventies. I lived in the seventies, but this wasn't my seventies. References an older sib with substance abuse, separation from a grandparent.

H, 12 read it: "It's good! I liked it just fine."

H, 11 read it: "Yeah, it's pretty good."

That's kinda what I thought. The creators of Babymouse, Jennifer and Matthew Holm write the story and Lark Pien does the art, in a breezy, reader-friendly way,
Kelli
Oct 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
This was the second in a series but the year in the life format here didn't feel cohesive and the plot seemed thin. I enjoyed the many references to 70s culture but I don't expect my children will, and this book is written for their age group. What worked about this story and made it relatable I expect will go over my children's heads, but I will follow up after they read this. 2.5 stars
mytaakeonit
Sep 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Not as good as the first one, but I like that this sweet graphic novel deals with a difficult topic...having a loved one who struggles with addiction. I think I just missed gramps. More gramps!!!
Manybooks
Although the sequel to Jennifer L. Holm's sweetly brilliant graphic novel Sunny Side Up (and of course also Matthew Holm, Jennifer's brother who acts as main illustrator), although Swing it, Sunny is not quite as personally relatable and thus as approachable (and readable) as the first book, Swing it, Sunny has nevertheless been an entertaining, nostalgic and at times even thought-provoking reading (and viewing) experience for and to me (and this especially with regard to both time and place, ...more
Sarina

It was just, Meh. Not really much I can say about it.
Abby Johnson
For fans of the first book (SUNNY SIDE UP), this is a poignant continuation of Sunny's story as her family continues to deal with her brother's issues in the 1970s. This would be a great book for older elementary kids who are dealing with family issues or any kids who like to read realistic graphic novels. I would recommend that you read the first book first as this one takes place afterwards and just jumps right into the story.
Lisa
Jun 30, 2017 rated it it was ok
Unlike the first book which was one cohesive story, this series of vignettes felt disjointed. I really can't give it more than 2 stars.
La Coccinelle
Well, that was just as underwhelming as the first book in the series.

I know this is middle grade, so you can't get too far into the darker themes, but I really don't get Sunny's brother. Something nasty has to be going on behind the scenes, because he's so messed up. The whole time I was reading it, I was thinking about things like secret abuse, or something going on in that family. It's implied that he's a delinquent "just because", and while that might be the way it sometimes is in real life,
Jen
Jun 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, bookexpo-2017
I got this for my cousin who is a reluctant reader, but who enjoys books in a comic book format. This is the second in a series, but it easily stood on its own.

The layout was reader friendly, the artwork wasn't amazing, but it got the point across well. The story takes place in the late 70s in America to a young girl in middle school. Not quite my era, so the TV dinners, tv shows and pet rock references didn't warm my heart or ring any bells, but it was a good peek into a time in the past. My
Nerdy Panda (twobrokegirlswithbooks)
Summer's over and Sunny is struggling with middle school and missing her brother after he's been sent off to boarding school.

I enjoyed the various 70s show references, the art style, and the family dynamic that Sunny has to go through and make sense of.

Even though I didn't read Sunny Side Up first, I wasn't confused about what was going on. Centering around family and friendship, it was a heartwarming story.
Beth
Jennifer and Matthew Holm are dream team graphic novelists. Just like with SUNNY SIDE UP, the sequel is full of heart and humor that will take away some of the sting of the difficult situation Sunny's family is going through. But what really elevates this book and the first book for me are the delightful visual details from the 1970s that make it more than just a decade of questionable fashion and home decor.
Mary Lee
Oct 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
I like all the references (visual and textual) to life in the 1970's. It would be a good challenge for a reader to track everything they learn about that time period. The hard story of Sunny's brother has some positive resolution in this one.
The Reading Countess
Sep 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, graphic-novel, ebook
Though I liked Sunny Side Up better (it seemed to have more "meat" to it), I enjoyed this enough and am realistic enough to know that my student readers will devour it. If their eyes move along the paper, it's a win. As a child of the 70's, I loved the various pop references sprinkled throughout. I just wish there was more complexity to it. Thanks to Edelweiss Above the Treeline for the sneak peek. Look for this graphic novel in three days!
Kat Drennan-Scace
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Oh I loved this one as much as the first one! :D It takes place in the 70s and has fun 70s pop culture references and clothing. Like in the first book, Sunny is trying to figure things out including family, friends and her interest (swing flag twirling). The overall tone is sweet and funny - recommended to fans of Raina Telgemier's Smile.
Emily
Sep 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
As was the case with the first book about Sunny, and her unhappiness over the situation with her substance abusing older brother, what I really enjoyed here was the 1970s cultural references. This sequel was not as cohesive a story as the first one, but I cared about Sunny and would have liked it if it had gone on a lot longer.
Irene McHugh
Loved this sequel to Sunny Side Up where we follow Sunny through her first year at middle school.

What I appreciated the most about this story was how there was no focus on how Sunny is doing in school. Based on everything I know about Sunny, academically she’s probably doing fine. She’s flying below the radar of teachers even though her family is struggling with Dale’s substance abuse problem.

This story centers on that family and neighborhood dynamic. What do you do when there’s a problem that
Giteeka
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved the first book, "Sunny Side Up", so naturally, I liked this book too. The thing I liked most was that the author didn't make Dale magically get better. It showed that people need to work to get better after facing obstacles that harmed them.
Becky
Jun 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sunny learns how to cope with her new family dynamics as her brother Dale has been sent away. Spanning the school year, she finds an unexpected friend with a surprising skill to teach her.

I read this out of order and I hope a third one is coming!
erica
Sep 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
it's hard for me to NOT like a jenn holm book. this was good, it touched the 70s girl in me. it made me smile (the pet rock!!), i'm glad about dale. i think i wanted more grandpa!
i will revisit my review a few days and update as necessary!
Michele Knott
Jul 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was glad to travel back to the 1970s and have more time with Sunny and her family!
Love all of the 70s details!
Kayla Leitschuh
Jul 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An awesome follow-up to the much loved Sunny Side Up.
Jeimy
Oct 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Everything you loved about the first one, but with additional family drama.
Sandy
Sunny has just started middle school and things are not going so great. In fact, almost every aspect of middle school, Sunny finds horrible and then, there is the fact that she misses her older brother Dale, who is off at boarding school. When her grandpa calls from Florida, she lies and tells him that everything is okay.

Soon Sunny begins wheezing and coughing which has her mother running her off to her doctor. After seeing a specialist, Sunny is told she has allergies and her course of
steph
Another solid read for the Sunny series. I just like Sunny, she is such a relatable character. This book follows her from September 1976 to May 1977. Surprisingly for it set being during the school year it doesn't focus on middle school at all (except a few panels when her Grandpa asks Sunny how school is going - she sums it up with a "uh") but instead focuses on the relationships she has with her parents, best friend, new neighborhood girl, grandpa and her big brother Dale who was sent away to ...more
Jennifer Green
Sep 19, 2017 rated it liked it
I wanted to give this a higher rating, because the first book in the series handled some very adult topics and did it in a way that was both insightful but respectful of a younger audience. This book, not so much. Yes, it continues where it left off and the story is fine. But I found it very broken and choppy. It read more like a collection of serialized comics from the newspaper than a story. And there wasn't as much adult content treated here. Yes, the brother situation continues but it's ...more
Pam  Page
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
For me, this was even better than the first (Sunny Side Up). I really like the way Jenni Holm keeps the issues real...just how hard it is to have a troubled teen. The parents admit they aren't sure what to do but still seek help for their son. Sunny leads a normal life but worries about her brother and wants their old relationship back. Gramps adds just the right amount of humor!
Patrick
Aug 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Sunny is back for the 2nd installment of series. Her brother is gone. She is back from her grandpa's house. She abs friend spend too much time watching awesome 70's television show. A new neighbor gives Sunny help finding her direction in life!
Kim Clifton
Sep 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
A cute story about coping with change. It's also an extremely short read. (I sat down to see what it was about and ended up finishing in the same sitting.) I didn't realize at first that it takes place in the 70s, but aside from all the TV references it felt modern and relatable.

• Brave (Berrybrook Middle School, #2)
  • All's Faire in Middle School
  • Real Friends (Real Friends, #1)
  • Ghosts
  • Kristy's Big Day
  • Narwhal: Unicorn of the Sea  (A Narwhal and Jelly, #1)
  • Positively Izzy
  • The Cardboard Kingdom
  • Mary Anne Saves the Day
  • Guts
  • Drama
  • Mighty Jack (Mighty Jack, #1)
  • Roller Girl
  • Best Friends (Real Friends, #2)
Jennifer L. Holm is a NEW YORK TIMES bestselling children's author and the recipient of three Newbery Honors for her novels OUR ONLY MAY AMELIA, PENNY FROM HEAVEN, and TURTLE IN PARADISE.

Jennifer collaborates with her brother, Matthew Holm, on two graphic novel series -- the Eisner Award-winning Babymouse series and the bestselling Squish series. She is also the author of several other highly

Sunny (3 books)
  • Sunny Side Up (Sunny, #1)
  • Sunny Rolls the Dice