Start by marking “Pup and Bear” as Want to Read:
Pup and Bear

Pup and Bear

This deeply emotional read-aloud about a lost wolf pup who is raised by a loving polar bear is sure to resonate with families - particularly non-traditional ones.

You are not my mother, said the wolf pup.
I am not your mother, said the polar bear, but I can cuddle you and keep you safe.

Here is a picture book that celebrates differences and promotes kindness, sure to
Published October 3rd 2017 by Schwartz & Wade Books (first published 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Pup and Bear, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pup and Bear

Start your review of Pup and Bear
Rod Brown
Feb 13, 2020 rated it it was ok
A sort of sweet story about a polar bear adopting a wolf pup becomes a snooze as it turns into a parade of other wild animals and a hoary fable about the "wheel of life." Yawn.
Dana
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
Don't mind me, I'm just crying at work.

This beautiful story about a polar bear that raises a wolf pup is an
excellent read-a-loud for adopted, foster,
and step-families.
Elaine
Nov 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Gorgeously adorable illustrations!
Emma
Nov 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: emma
it was the best picture book in the world.
Doreen
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a sweet story of the commonality among us. Wolves and polar bears are employed to show how wonderful kindness and love can be. My grandson loved it.
Kris
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I’m not crying, you’re crying! This is beautiful, and I don’t even care that the polar bear totally would have eaten the wolf cub in reality. THIS ONE WOULDN’T BECAUSE HE IS THE BEST MAMA POLAR BEAR WITH A BABY WOLF AND DON’T TRY TO TELL ME DIFFERENTLY. This is the sweetest and the ending was perfection.
LizzyBerry
Oct 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I've read this one three times now and I get mushy every time!!!! I want to use this for a wolves and bears storytime this winter.
MaryLibrarianOH
Oct 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm a huge fan of Naoko Stoop's illustrations and these are breathtaking. I also love the message kindness that the text and artwork work together to show.
Laine
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-lit
yeah i cried.
Peacegal
Oct 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful little book, with lovely illustrations and a kind message.
Tina
Oct 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Gorgeously soft, baby-like illustrations for an unlikely pairing in the wild. Still, a good way to explain what comes around goes around...lesson on paying it forward.
Danielle
Feb 04, 2018 added it
Shelves: picture-books
Gentle and sweet, with charming illustrations by Naoko Stoop on her signature plywood backgrounds.
Erin Buhr
Feb 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
A touching story about a wolf pup who is raised by a polar bear. I can see this being a beautiful story to share with a child about foster care. The refrain is "I am not your mother but I can..." as the mother bear protects, teaches and eventually lets go of the grown pup.
Leslie Basky
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I felt that this book portrayed kindness, generosity and understanding for a lost wolf cub and polar bear. How true how life events can go full circle, this story shows us how life can be funny like that. This book made me sigh. ...more
CaseyTheCanadianLesbrarian
Beautiful illustrations but I found the story kind of dull. Plus it did that thing were all animals are gendered 'he' unless proven otherwise. Also, isn't this a rip-off of Mama Do You Love Me?
Jackie Ostrowicki
Lovely, loving book about finding family in unexpected ways.
Lindsay
Oct 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
For step parents, foster families and other unconventional family make-ups.
Bethany
Nov 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wolf pup is lost from his mother. Polar bear takes him in, warmly reassuring that him that she can keep him warm and fed and cared for until it's time for him to go off on his own.

Wolf, now grown, goes off with his own pack, living a wolfish life until he finds a polar bear cub who has lost his mother. Repaying the kindness of his own bear parent, he warmly reassures the lost cub that he will keep him warm, fed, and cared for until the cub is ready to leave.

This quietly glowing story of love
Tasha
Oct 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
The Big Freeze was coming to the Arctic and the wolves took shelter. But when the Big Melt came, one little wolf pup was stranded on a sheet of ice and unable to reach land. He swam and swam, finally falling asleep in a snowdrift. There, a polar bear found him. The little wolf was scared at first, but the polar bear offered to help him. She took him to her den, fed and cared for him. Even though she was not his mother, she could do many things for him like teach him where to fish and play ...more
Anna Melfi
Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"I am not your mother," said the polar bear, but I can cuddle you and keep you safe."

This book is beautiful and I am glad I read it.

Naoko Stoop's illustrations are charming and are one of my favorite things about the book. I am usually drawn to picture books from their illustrations, and I knew I had to pick up the book based on the cover alone.

Kate Banks' prose is also beautiful. The story is about a lost wolf pup getting lost and being taken in by a polar bear, who teaches it everything he
Tiffany May Ross
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: andis-shelf
This story, about a wolf pup who is orphaned and raised by a polar bear, has so many beautiful themes in it that I’m amazed it’s a children’s book... and yet it is one and an excellent one at that! It’s set in the beautiful Arctic tundra with the sweetest illustrations of animals and nature. It shows the seasons changing and how aging occurs with each season that passes. The story demonstrates how we can help others who are very different from us by meeting their simplest most basic needs; ...more
Julie
A motherless wolf pup is alone in the arctic and finds himself confronted by a predator - a polar bear. But the bear keeps him safe and protected and teaches him what he needs to know as he comes of age. Then the whole cycle begins again...
Pup and Bear has gorgeous illustrations by Naoko Stoop, who says on the flyleaf that she wants her art to "bring out the five-year-old" in everyone. I loved not only the colors but the gradations of shading and tone within the colors. Her landscapes and
Katie
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens, storytime
Beautifully written, telling the story of a polar bear who takes in a wolf pup, then the pup growing up and taking in a polar bear cub.
These lines:
"You are not my mother, said the wolf pup.
"I am not your mother," said the polar bear, "but I can cuddle you and keep you safe."
They are so wonderful-they just give you all the feels. The words adopting, parents, mother, father, these traditional words in a story about fostering/adoption aren't here-so it seems more like a story children can relate
Margie
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
There will be times, more often than not, when in a given situation individuals will be expected to act in a specific manner. Action may be taken as expected but sometimes the best choice, the right choice, is unforeseen. It is surprising to all those involved.

Even in the world of animals there are cases of unlikely alliances, some lasting a lifetime. Pup and Bear (Schwartz & Wade Books, October 3, 2017) written by Kate Banks with illustrations by Naoko Stoop is a tender story of maternal
Kat Harrison
Apr 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
"Pup and Bear" is a soft, understated book that worms its way into your heart long after you close the back cover. While I think it has an audience with all kids, I think it's especially poignant for non-traditional families (adopted, blended, or otherwise) and/or young ones who need a gentle reminder that taking care of one another (no matter your "species") is a basic human/animal instinct. Stoop's sweeping illustrations do a commendable job at highlighting Banks' message of paying it forward.
Air
Sep 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
<3! This book stole my heart! What a wonderful story of the circle of life with an important lesson that families come in all shapes and sizes! When a wolf cub is all alone, a polar bear finds him and offers to take care of him. When the wolf has grown old enough, it is time for him to go out on his own. During his adventures, he finds a baby polar bear left all alone, and cares for it. The circle of love is amazing!
Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A gentle, emotional story that emphasizes the importance of kindness, and how a positive gesture can have a ripple effect that goes on and on. Also a lovely commentary on caring for others despite differences and accepting people into your family (the narrative works as a lovely metaphor for adoption or fostering)

The art is lovely and delicate and perfect for the story.

And yes, I was crying by about Page 3.
The Library Lady
Feb 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The line about "the path that went round and round in the wondrous wheel of life," does tickle my saccharine meter, but this is an irresistible combination of gentle prose and beautifully rendered art, so I'll give it a pass on that. Yes, you could use this to hand to someone looking for trans-racial adoption material, but the message isn't pounded home with a sledgehammer, and, as with all good picture books, this is simply a good story.
Juliana Lee
When Polar Bear comes across a lost and lonely wolf pup, she offers to take care of him. Wolf Pup is afraid, but goes with Polar Bear to her den. Polar Bear keeps Pup warm, feeds him, plays with him, and scolds him when he needs it. Soon Wolf Pup grows into adulthood and leaves Polar Bear. Then one day, Wolf finds a polar bear cub lost and lonely in the arctic. Now it's Wolf's turn to return the favor and take care of the polar bear cub. Sweet. Quiet. Family story.
Sasha
Jan 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
My daughter got this book as the January selection of the Bright Minds Foundation/Dolly Parton's Imagination Library and the book is absolutely beautiful. It tells the story of a little wolf cub who gets lost and the polar bear who raises him as its own. It is a very sweet story...and it caused my own husband to fall asleep when I read it to my child (so it must be very soothing. lol)
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Excellent Ed
  • I'll Love You Till the Cows Come Home
  • Bedtime for Sweet Creatures
  • William's Winter Nap
  • Snappsy the Alligator and His Best Friend Forever (Probably)
  • Bunny's Book Club
  • Why?
  • Can Somebody Please Scratch My Back?
  • I'd Know You Anywhere, My Love
  • I Love You Like a Pig
  • Rocket Says Look Up!
  • Max and the Tag-Along Moon
Kate Banks has written many books for children, among them Max’s Words, And If the Moon Could Talk, winner of the Boston Globe–Horn Book Award, and The Night Worker, winner of the Charlotte Zolotow Award. She grew up in Maine, where she and her two sisters and brother spent a lot of time outdoors, and where Banks developed an early love of reading. “I especially liked picture books,” she says, “ ...more