Start by marking “How Do Dinosaurs Eat Their Food?” as Want to Read:
How Do Dinosaurs Eat Their Food?

How Do Dinosaurs Eat Their Food? (How Do Dinosaurs...?)

4.1  ·  Rating details ·  9,527 Ratings  ·  237 Reviews
Jane Yolen runs through the gamut of mealtime bad behaviour, satisfyingly concluding with impeccably behaved dinosaur guests.
Published January 1st 2006 by HarperCollins Children's Books (first published September 2005)

Josh Caporale
Feb 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is definitely a clever way to teach its target audience about proper table manners. I like the use of the dinosaurs, which not only attract the children, but take the place of the children in these particular situations. I also like the examples that are given when it comes to beginning with how NOT to eat your food and then give the proper examples of how manners should be practiced. I think this is a good teaching tool for the 3-7 age range and I think kids will get a kick out of this!
Kat
Mar 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012, picture-books
Basic Plot: While we may assume dinosaurs are messy, picky, impolite eaters, in reality they are very polite and open to trying new things. Really.

This is a very quick rhymer to read. The art is really good, especially in the pictures where the dinos are misbehaving. The looks on the parents' faces are pretty well priceless. I also like how the names of the specific dino types are embedded within the pictures. It's subtle and works well for parents like me, who don't necessarily know all the nam
معصومه توکلی
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: کودک, طنز, شعر
عنوان ترجمه ی فارسی:
هیچ می دونی دایناسوره
چه طور غذاشو می خوره؟
Samantha Sheeran
Feb 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
How Do Dinosaurs Eat Their Food by Jane Yolen and Mark Teaque goes through all the sceniros about how dinosaurs could eat their food rudely. After this is done, it demonstrates how dinosaurs really eat their food; politely.

I really enjoyed this book and thought it could teach a very good lesson to children. The authors were smart by chosing dinosaurs becasue dinosaurs are soemthing that children love and are interested in. The book is rhymes, which is very good for holding children's attention.
Rory Scott Douglas
Oct 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
As part of the "How Do Dinosaurs..." series, Yolen and Teague collaborate to bring us another role model book wrapped up in a simple digestible format. Mark Teague's illustrations are engaging and have a nonsensical edge that allows a time-old message to be reiterated in a enjoyable way.

The book, written in a series of rhyming questions, follows a series of common child-like reactions to food and highlights how silly they seem. At the same time it asks children to really think about the consequ
Tami
Mar 27, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
How Do Dinosaurs Eat Their Food? blends a child's curiosity and interest in dinosaurs and the parental desire to teach table manners. The story starts out showing colourful illustrations of various types of dinosaurs as they are in the act of eating in ill-mannered ways. The caption below asks if the dinosaur ate this way. For instance, "does he bubble his milk?" At the end of the story, the child gets an answer that dinosaurs always ate with the best of manners.

Though definitely not realistic
Rhaynes5
Jul 05, 2013 added it
Shelves: just-for-fun
How do Dinosaurs Eat Their Food is just a god funny book that the children love to read! They think it's funny and they love to see the different dinosaurs fumble over themselves in each illustration. I would use this book in the classroom to connect to the real world for children. Children love dinosaurs so if I were to do a unit on dinosaurs I would definitely include this book not to teach any facts about dinosaurs but may be to put inside one of my learning centers to support the theme as we ...more
Camilla
Sep 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Kids love dinosaurs :)
Sara Stelmach
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
“How Do Dinosaurs Eat Their Food” by Jane Yolen is a rhythmic picture book about breaking the stereotypes of how dinosaurs eat their food. It starts by depicting all the imaginative rude and impolite ways one would think a dinosaur would eat. However, in the end, the book surprisingly describes a polite and mannerly way the dinosaurs actually eat. This is a wonderfully illustrated story with elaborate drawings of different dinosaurs all with their scientific name somewhere on the page. The draw ...more
Jamie Jessup
Apr 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: how-do-dinos
Oh man, do I wish this book had been out when my brother was a young kid. He used to take his entire unfinished plate and throw it like a frisbee onto the floor (we had to eventually buy plates with suction cups on the bottom). Learning table manners is such an important part of growing up and I know for a lot of kids that it can be tough to remember. I would read this book aloud to the class and then ask them to try some of the table manners talked about in the book during lunch. After lunch I ...more
Melissa
Jan 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebooks
How do Dinosaurs eat their food? Do they spit half eaten broccoli on the floor? Do they fidget in the chair, or throw spaghetti in the air? No! A dinosaur says Please and Thank You and sits very still. He makes no loud noises, that isn't polite and he always tries new things, even just one bite.

This would be a good book for a unit on the food pyramid or My Plate.

It would also be good for a dinosaur unit as each dinosaur that appears has their scientific name in the picture with them.

It would als
Chelsea
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A hilarious book questioning how dinosaurs eat their (human) food! I enjoyed how at the start of the book, it seemed like the dinosaurs were not good at eating their food with manners; there were a variety of silly illustrations depicting the dinosaurs eating. At the end it turned out that the dinosaurs actually had very nice manners and knew how to eat without making a mess. I am excited to read this book during story time, I expect a lot of giggles from the children!

TO READ: During Toddler Ti
Joan
Jun 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The prospect of having a protoceratops come over for dinner or of joining a quetzalcoatlus for a fancy restaurant meal is sure to amuse young readers. Playful dinosaurs populate this clever tale that’s guaranteed to keep young readers laughing at the dinosaurs’ mischievous table manners.

Colorfully illustrated with the dinosaurs all but leaping from the page, this is a book guaranteed to please young dinosaur-lovers.

Recommended.
Ms. Martin
Jan 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is such a great book for both in and out of the classroom that goes over what not to do and what to do when eating - how there are manners and what is expected. The kids love seeing all the "bad" ways to do something and coming up with ways that they should do it instead. It's a great reminder of good manners and how to act.
Paige Claycamp
Apr 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: el-230
I chose this book due to needing a book that talks about manners in a fun way, but in a way that my students would understand the meaning and the point of the book. This book was a very silly book that many students loved reading, talking about how certain dinosaurs eat their food. Its a great read aloud silly book, to help teach your students about having table manners.
Maggie Kasparek
Apr 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: el-230
I chose this book because I remember reading this in preschool. I remember that we used this book to teach us manners and how to properly sit at a table and use table manners. This is a great book to teach about table manners with fictional characters. This is a fun book to teach about some really important things but in a non-threatening way.
Diana Thomsen
Jul 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: homeschooling, kids
Confession time: This is actually my favorite book in this series. I've been using it in storytimes about dinosaurs for years, and picking it up again in order to read it to my homeschooling kids was fun. The kids liked it, too, although I think they thought that the badly behaved dinosaurs were the ones they want to emulate! lol
Rae B.
Jan 01, 2018 rated it liked it
This edition of the unofficial dinosaur series follows the same format as the others, so it is easy to read and my preschooler knows what to expect. She thoroughly enjoys shaking her head "no" in response to the silly albeit rhetorical questions in the first half.
Caitlin Wilson
Dec 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
review: This book helps children with eating their food because every child has had trouble some point in their life. Just like children the Dinosaur has a hard time learning manners as well, but learn from mom and dad the manners.
Carlee Freeman
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book teaches kids about dinosaurs AND manners! Great for boys who love dinosaurs and could use a little more help on manners! Each page has a different dinosaur and somewhere on the picture, it tells you what kind of dinosaur it is! Also great for beginning readers!
Camille
Dec 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Love all her books
Erik
Oct 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction-children
Fun way to teach kids proper table manners. Rhymes well and the dinosaurs really pop off the page.
Breyanna Hill
Sep 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This story book teaches kids how to eat their food at the dinner table politely while also having fun and incorporating dinosaurs.
Nicole Schwartz
Feb 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Who doesn't love a book about dinosaurs.
Sarah Wiwchar
Feb 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: age 3+
Shelves: read-with-kids
Really love these dinosaur books. They are great for beginner readers as "read-to-self" books and also for teaching things, such as table manners in this one.
Callie Manias
Sep 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Quick read, good for teaching manners, repetitive

from Schaeffers
Mary
Probably our favorite of the series. Especially, "DOES A DINOSAUR GLARE?"
Robert Hopkins
Jan 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
A tour de force!
Pamela Powell
Jun 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Adorable, like the rest of this series!
Matthew Coddington
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-by-mommy
A favorite
  • Dinosaur Roar!
  • Wiggle
  • Edwina, the Dinosaur Who Didn't Know She Was Extinct
  • Bear Wants More
  • Who Ate All the Cookie Dough?
  • Lunch
  • Dinosaurs, Dinosaurs
  • When Dinosaurs Came with Everything
  • I Stink!
  • Llama Llama Mad at Mama
  • Dinosaur vs. Bedtime
  • Hooray For Fish!
  • If You're A Monster And You Know It
  • Skippyjon Jones in the Doghouse (Skippyjon Jones, #2)
  • Can You Make a Scary Face?
  • Duck On A Bike
  • Pirates Don't Change Diapers
  • The Wide-Mouthed Frog: A Pop-Up Book
Jane Yolen is a novelist, poet, fantasist, journalist, songwriter, storyteller, folklorist, and children’s book author who has written more than three hundred books. Her accolades include the Caldecott Medal, two Nebula Awards, the World Fantasy Award, three Mythopoeic Awards, the Kerlan Award, two Christopher Awards, and six honorary doctorate degrees from colleges and universities in Massachuset ...more
More about Jane Yolen

How Do Dinosaurs...? (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • How Do Dinosaurs Say Good Night?
  • How Do Dinosaurs Get Well Soon?
  • How Do Dinosaurs Learn to Read?
  • How Do Dinosaurs Clean Their Rooms?
  • How Do Dinosaurs Count to Ten?
  • How Do Dinosaurs Play with Their Friends?
  • How Do Dinosaurs Learn Their Colors?
  • How Do Dinosaurs Go to School?
  • How Do Dinosaurs Say I Love You?
  • How Do Dinosaurs Love Their Cats?

Fiction Deals

• Searching for Grace Kelly
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Bricking It
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Elephant Keeper's Daughter
  • The Virtues of Oxygen
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Home to Harmony (Harmony #1)
    $11.14 $1.99
  • Dog Crazy
  • The Towers of Tuscany
  • The Noticer: Sometimes, all a person needs is a little perspective
  • Who We Were Before
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Reluctant Midwife (Hope River, #2)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Sin No More (Reverend Curtis Black)
    $10.39 $1.99
  • We'll Always Have Paris: Stories
  • The Hidden Flower
  • Greyhound
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Take Two (Above the Line, #2)
  • The Heart Mender: A Story of Second Chances
  • Where We Belong
    $5.99 $1.49
  • Cashelmara
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Dumplin' (Dumplin', #1)
  • The Sisterhood of Blackberry Corner
  • A Scattered Life
  • Every Ugly Word
  • A Memory of Violets: A Novel of London's Flower Sellers
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Desert God (Ancient Egypt, #5)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Woman Who Breathed Two Worlds (Malayan #1)
  • An Amish Buggy Ride
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Elizabeth Street
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Gates of Rome (Emperor, #1)
  • The Unkillable Kitty O'Kane
  • It Is Well
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Sinful Calling (Reverend Curtis Black #13)
  • On a Cold Dark Sea
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Lady Viper (Tales from the Tudor Court #1)
  • Kings of Broken Things