Start by marking “Your First Year As an Elementary School Teacher : Making the Transition from Total Novice to Successful Professional” as Want to Read:

3.08  ·  Rating details ·  13 Ratings  ·  3 Reviews
Real Solutions and Advice from the Teaching Trenches
Many begin teaching because of a desire to make a difference. But faced with everyday challenges of the classroom, this idealism is often lost. The fact is, teaching is not easy. While there are many personal rewards, teachers must satisfy many constituencies, including students, parents, and administrators. But by being
Published March 29th 2001 by Three Rivers Press

To ask other readers questions about Your First Year As an Elementary School Teacher , please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Your First Year As an Elementary School Teacher

Amanda
May 27, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: teaching
This book gave me some great ideas about how to organize my files and the first few weeks of school. I felt that it covered all of the major areas of teaching well but didn't have much new to offer. Almost all of the websites were no longer available which was frustrating but I guess that is not surprising since the book is 10 years old. Some of the definitions were ridiculous. Who doesn't know what an assembly or a rubric is? It is worth the read but I think some of the other books I have found ...more
Lizzlec
Jul 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: teaching
The book is over 10 years old but still much of the information is relevant. Most of the material covered I learned in my credential program or during student teaching but that was over 8 months ago so it is a good refresher. I think I will be using many of the first day suggestions and use the book as a reference throughout the year.
Melinda
Apr 20, 2014 rated it did not like it
Very bland, general information along the lines of "when you teach, you'll be asked to do lots of after school activities, but don't overload yourself."

Don't look to this book to guide your way. Get a copy of a Harry Wong book instead.
Tammy