Start by marking “Light the Dark: Writers on Creativity, Inspiration, and the Artistic Process” as Want to Read:
Light the Dark: Writers on Creativity, Inspiration, and the Artistic Process

Light the Dark: Writers on Creativity, Inspiration, and the Artistic Process

A stunning guide to finding creative inspiration and how it can illuminate your life, your work, and your art—from Stephen King, Junot Díaz, Elizabeth Gilbert, Amy Tan, Khaled Hosseini, Roxane Gay, Neil Gaiman, and many more acclaimed writers

What inspires you? That’s the simple, but profound question posed to forty-six renowned authors in LIGHT THE DARK. Each w
Published September 26th 2017 by Penguin Books

To ask other readers questions about Light the Dark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Light the Dark

Start your review of Light the Dark: Writers on Creativity, Inspiration, and the Artistic Process
K.M. Weiland
Oct 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Usually, I avoid anthologies. Too often, they’re uneven and random. This one, however, is an incredibly special exception. Let me explain with an anecdote: instead of highlighting passages I enjoy, I use “book dart” bookmarks. Well, by the time I finished this book, I only had about four book darts left in the tin.

There’s just so much to love here. Here, we have so many great authors commenting, not so much on the process of writing, but on the life of artistic pursuit, their own ins
Ken
Dec 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Here Joe Fassler gives us a collection of short essays by famous contemporary writers, each citing another author's work that lit their creative fires.

Some inspiring authors get double tips of the hat--giants like Emily Dickinson, Franz Kafka, and Walt Whitman, for instance. And admittedly, some of the essays dragged a bit, causing me to leapfrog to the next writer who might be (and usually was) more interesting. (It should be noted, too, that I completely skipped Jane Smiley's essay, for the l
Lauren
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaways
Reading this book felt like sitting down for coffee with some of the best writers of our time and picking their brain about the genesis of their relationship with writing, where they derive inspiration, their writing process, and what they love about writing. For anyone who's ever been curious about creative minds and dabbled in writing themselves, this is the book for you.
Dora Okeyo
Oct 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
This book gave me a front row seat to one of the most interesting experiences both as a reader and a writer. The Author had three words that were posted to the authors and they were "what inspires you?"
Now, unless you live under a rock, or haven't read much, these are authors who have written some of the best books over the years. Their contribution in shaping the world, cultures, knowledge transition and story-telling has been through their writing. I'm talking about forty six award winni
Magdelanye
Language is limited, it's a faulty tool
But oh how it lights the dark
Aimee Bender p5

This is a fitting introduction from the first essay in this illuminating collection of essays by most of the living luminaries of modern literature and its offshoots. Edited by Joe Fassler and published in 2017, it still has the feel of hot off the press.

The essays are all short and personal. The same question was posed to all of the authors. What has inspired you? Each essay is
Story❤
Feb 26, 2019 rated it liked it
5 stars for Neil Gaiman's essay; 2-4 stars for everyone else.
Lauraadriana
Nov 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely stunnig and sooooo inspiring. I will come back to these essays agian and again.
Beatrice
Jan 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Light the Dark is a collection of essays detailing the love that influential authors have for writing fiction and reading literature. It is a fascinating plunge into the inner experiences and unique perspectives of talented and sensitive writers, and for an aspiring fiction writer like me, this book was an absolute joy to read. Further, already I can understand how formative these essays are proving to be for me, opening my eyes to important issues contained within fiction and diversifying my ap ...more
Leslie
Mar 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
A terrific series of essays by writers of all stripes discussing how a particular piece -- a poem, a line from a play or a song, a passage from a novel -- inspired them. Some focused on a piece encountered in childhood that set them on the writing path, while others looked at more recent discoveries; some authors stayed focused on the quote, while others talked more broadly about the artistic process and its import in their lives. This is a book you'll want to dip in and out of, if you're intrig ...more
Katherine Varga
Aug 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
I'm a complete sucker for books like these. A collection of short essays where recognizable writers break down a literary quote that inspired them as a reader or writer. Part lit crit, part memoir, entirely devoted to the power of books and language and being alive. These essays made me want to write a novel and memorize poetry. I'm tempted to buy a copy so I can always have its inspiration and advice close at hand.

My one complaint is that it's a little too white/male dominated for my tastes (e
Christine
It an interesting look at how writers work and are inspired.
Chris
Jan 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this collection of short stories. I thought the way the novel was illustrated and the choice of passages each author used inspired me in a sense.
Jenny Leitsch
Aug 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
I read this one off and on over a number of months. Every time I picked it up, I came away inspired and affirmed in my love of reading and writing and my unwavering belief in the power of stories.
Alyssa
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
153.35 - this book’s Dewey decimal number, for when I want to go back and read it again. Because I know I will. Almost every essay made me think, “no, this one is my favorite.” For writers but also for all types of creators, this book is proof that there is no one right way to make something.
OK
Consistently fantastic reflections on writing, process, and creative inspiration. A few too many white folk/white men for my liking, but most essays were excellent (incl. by some white dudes).

4.25/5

In any case, the first sentence is the handshake, on either side of the writer-reader divide. The reader shakes hands with the writer .The writer has already had to shake hands with the unknown. Assuming both have heard the click, we’ve got it going on. – William Gibson, 53

It’
Morgan Wright
Jun 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Highly recommended read!!! (Beware- there are a couple of spoilers here and I also quote a little from the book directly😁)

Of all other books on writing I have ever read, Light the Dark goes unsurpassed.

In this book, 46 critically-acclaimed writers have joined together to create a masterpiece that is truly one of its kind. In an anthology of brief essays, each of these writers center their pieces around quotes and passages that have influenced both their writing and themse
Antonia
Jan 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
This is an amazing and varied collection of short essays on creativity and inspiration. And some, I liked more than others. But there are enough really inspiring pieces for any reader or writer to delight in. Ethan Canin’s piece, “Rehearsals for Death,” was a real standout for me. I wanted to copy it out, memorize it. I also enjoyed the illustrations by Doug McLean.
Tasha Seegmiller
Aug 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a charming collection of essays that share insights into great works that have been written before, and how they inspired some of the greatest writers of our day. Insights on creativity, inspiration, writing, and life nurtured my writerly soul, word by word. I cannot recommend this book to writers highly enough.
Liz VanDerwerken
Apr 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Happened upon this book entirely by chance and it is an amazing essay collection about reading and writing. The list of contributors is lengthy and truly impressive; I loved the diversity of voices that were represented and took away so much from reading this.
Theresa Milstein
May 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
As a reader and writer, I really responded to this collection. If I counted correctly, there are 46 authors in the collection. Perhaps 6 didn't wow me. Perhaps 10 blew me away with their insight. And the rest were entertaining and inspirational. The last piece is by Neil Gaiman. Enough said.
James
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Light the Dark is a collection of pieces from Joe Fassler's column "By Heart," which appears in The Atlantic. Each piece is centered around an author who describes a book or short story that influenced them. These authors talk about the writing process, how they approach their crafts, and what makes a good story. One common theme throughout each piece is the power of literature and art to change someone's life, whether its a single sentence, stanza from a poem, or an entire novel.

One thing I re
Pms Mrsmoose
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very cool to see how one passage can inspire so much in someone.
Win
Jun 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Interesting & inspirational. Lots of great authors talking about other great authors. How could anyone not enjoy this book?
Wendy
Aug 01, 2018 rated it liked it
A mixed bag. Some of the essays were really great. Others dull. Quite a few seemed more like political statements than anything else. Neil Gaiman's piece at the end was my favorite. Also, I did not know a lot of the writers inside this book, but their essays made me want to check them out.
Trish Hermanson
Oct 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
For instant inspiration for a creative person, read this to see what have been the most profound, most memorable words for other writers.
Jaime
Oct 18, 2017 rated it it was ok
Maybe I'm just not the market for this book anymore, but I didn't find this particularly inspiring or helpful. Although I will say I appreciated the diversity of writers interviewed - that's often lacking today, and I really liked the varying voices.
Lori
Jul 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
In Light the Dark, everyone in this book is a writer. So, if you think about the wealth of creativity wrapped up in this short book... it is AMAZING. It truly made me feel nostalgic. Like, I should go and curl up in the corner and read all these author's again for the millionth time. And, then when I had that completed, I could read the writing that inspired them.

As I mentioned with excess enthusiasm, everyone in this book is a WRITER. Plus, these writer's, are writing about the ...writing.. th
Martha.O.S
Dec 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a book that really interested me. Any book, film article etc that describes writers’ writing process is something that always fascinates me. I’m curious about what inspires writers, where they get their encouragement and especially what helps them persevere. I’m interested in their routine or lack of, what writers read, eat etc... This was a book that ‘got me’ from the start.

Saying that,it is a book that one would find hard to read cover to cover. It is more of a coffee table, ‘dip-in-
Sergio GRANDE
Oct 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a book for writers and I am not a writer. At least I am not a writer who will swoon over a line of poetry that reads something like
“Not I, not any one else can travel that road for you,
You must travel it for yourself.”

I could never cream my shorts over an opening line like, “to wound the autumnal city” no matter how hard I tried. Though in truth, I would never try. I see no reason why.

Joe Fassler ran an online series for The Atlantic, in which he interviewed writ
Amanda
May 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
A quick, enjoyable read for folks who love literature and/or writing and are interested in hearing from popular writers how they think about lit and the writing process. Ending with Neil Gaiman's essay was also a really strong choice because he has such a plain, effective way of inspiring readers about writing (for example seeing influential authors as part of the young writer's compost heap...a metaphor that ended up really working). Some of the mini-essays were a bit repetitive (at least 3 wer ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Keep Going: 10 Ways to Stay Creative in Good Times and Bad
  • Vegetables Love Flowers: Companion Planting for Beauty and Bounty
  • Jesus for the Non-Religious
  • The Speechwriter: A Brief Education in Politics
  • Hammer Is the Prayer: Selected Poems
  • Ursula K. Le Guin: Conversations on Writing
  • What We Talk About When We Talk About Books: The History and Future of Reading
  • Late Bloomers: The Power of Patience in a World Obsessed with Early Achievement
  • The Story Grid: What Good Editors Know
  • Draft No. 4: On the Writing Process
  • The Accidental Life: An Editor's Notes on Writing and Writers
  • The Tradition
  • How to Write a Damn Good Novel, II: Advanced Techniques for Dramatic Storytelling
  • Chronicle of a Last Summer: A Novel of Egypt
  • The Book in Question: Why and How Reading Is in Crisis
  • Inheritance
  • Matar a Platón
  • How Happy to Be
“Sometimes, it’s just the feeling that a book has enlarged you somehow, providing you not so much with answers as with better, clearer questions.” 1 likes
“Carson’s mode of self-awareness doesn’t apologize for its emotion. She simply acknowledges that, whenever we feel, we do so in a way that anticipates the gaze of others—as well as anticipates the empathy or lack of empathy we’ll encounter there. I feel some version of this happening when she writes: When Law left I felt so bad I thought I would die. This is not uncommon.” 0 likes