Start by marking “The Life-Changing Manga of Tidying Up: A Magical Story” as Want to Read:
The Life-Changing Manga of Tidying Up: A Magical Story

The Life-Changing Manga of Tidying Up: A Magical Story

(Magic Cleaning)

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  14,945 ratings  ·  1,625 reviews
From the #1 New York Times best-selling author and lifestyle/cleaning guru Marie Kondo, this graphic novelization brings Kondo's life-changing tidying method to life with the fun, quirky story of a woman who transforms her home, work, and love life using Kondo's advice and inspiration.

Marie Kondo presents the fictional story of Chiaki, a young woman in Tokyo who struggles
Published July 4th 2017 by Ten Speed Press (first published February 13th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about The Life-Changing Manga of Tidying Up, please sign up.
Laylah you’re such a furry lmao ecks dee!1!!!1!1!
Roxanne Yes, it is a good introduction about how to think through and keeping your spaces tidy especially if the kids are already into manga.

·  14,945 ratings  ·  1,625 reviews

Start your review of The Life-Changing Manga of Tidying Up: A Magical Story
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
This book was sooooooooooooo cute =)

And I did actually learn some tidbits of information about getting rid of stuff. I have been getting rid of stuff for some time now but it never seems to make a difference. And I have recently started getting rid of books I'm not going to read again so it's making more room!

Chiaki is the girl in this book and boy is she a hoarder! But I thought Chiaki and Marie had a good time tidying up and setting priorities. I actually have a few more things I want to add
j e w e l s
Sep 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The KonMari Method of household organization has been bantered about amongst my friends for the last year, but I had not read the book until now. This graphic novel is a super cute, appealing way of presenting the valuable information to all ages. I read it fast, went back to reread sections and I love the illustrations. I have never even looked at a graphic novel before, and I was pleasantly surprised by how fun this one is. The techniques make sense immediately since it is all visual. I loved ...more
Cyndi
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read KonMari’s book, The Magic of Tidying and it was excellent! This one added more info and was even more helpful. The visual in the manga art was very useful.
Gotta admit, though that I skipped the tidying of books a bit. Clothes? No prob. Movies? Yep. Music? Pshaw! But, books? ✨Joy! ✨Joy! ✨Joy! Oh well. 🤷🏼‍♀️
Renégade ♥
May 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
4 stars

This was a cute, fun read.

It piqued my curiosity, held my interest, and didn't take long to finish.

Ms. Kondo put forth some interesting ideas and helpful suggestions re: tidying up.

And, yes, she totally goes there regarding all the books I... I mean, Chiaki has.

*ahem*

Which are still some of the hardest things in the world for me to let go of...

(view spoiler)

Shocking, I know.["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>["b
Nenia ⭐️ Queen of Awkward ⭐️ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

Reading this book actually high key stressed me out because I am just as messy as Chiaki in this book, and I haven't done a damn thing about it. Get rid of my books? NO THANK YOU. But Marie Kondo was really getting pushed hard by pop culture outlets like BuzzFeed and social media influencers, so when the manga version of her popular book showed up in the library, I thought, "Why not? Perhaps this will be the impetus to change my slovenly
Anki
So, I have somewhat mixed feelings about this book. First, the positives: this is a sweet story that provides an accessible example of what the KonMari method is and how to apply it in your life. There isn't really any new information here per se, but presenting the information in a story format helps readers see how the KonMari method works. Having examples like this can be incredibly useful, and like I said, the story is cute.

That said, I cannot understand why the publisher decided to flip thi
Jessi ♥️ H. Vojsk
Mar 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was so adorable!

It was a perfect little summary of Konmari.
The Manga is about Chiaki, a Sales rep with a messy home. Marie Kondo helps her to tidy up her home and her life.
The illustrations were absolutely fitting for every moment and so so cute!

I loved this book so much. Definitely a recommendation!

Ilana
I’m a skeptic about gurus in general, about tidying techniques in particular and especially about the KonMari craze that’s taken over the media in the last few years since Marie Kondo’s books started being translated from Japanese into English and her Netflix show became all the rage. I’ve always lived in what I like to refer to as my artists mess with lots of “inspirational” stuff around and clutter inevitably taking over. But once in a while I go through a purge and get rid of some excess stuf ...more
Rose
Quick review for a quick read. I could say that my initial reaction upon finishing this book was "ERMAHGARD, THIS IS SO CUTE AND INFORMATIVE AND I CAN'T DEAL, AND KONMARI REALLY DOES LOOK LIKE A FAIRY! GAAAAAAAAAHHHH!"

But then that really would only scratch the surface of the amount of joy that I received from this book. It's a cute story that takes many of the principles from Marie Kondo's "The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up" and puts it in a story-based manga format. The illustrations in i
Sacamo
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is very excellent.
7jane
Jan 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have already read the author's ”Spark Joy” book, but couldn't resist this one. The drawing style is appealing, and the story is done with some humorous scenes, all fitting into the way in which the KonMari decluttering is done.

The story goes: Chiaki Suzuki, a brewery company sales rep, is in her late 20s, single, and in desperate need of fixing her messy home (and her desk at work), which no doubt also is part of the reason some other parts of her life (relationships, diet) are not satisfying
Jen
Nov 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Liked it, but give up my books?!? Actually, I think I’m doing ok with getting rid of things, but maybe I will look over my stuff and consider the “joy” the things give me. Worthwhile, quick read. I liked the folding lesson. That will help re: space for clothes. 3.5 stars, rounded up because it had given me some new ideas. Recommended if you are trying to downsize.
Kristina Horner
Mar 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
I loved this! It embodied everything I love about Marie Kondo and really did walk readers through her entire method, but in a way that had all the heart of a Japanese manga. Definitely keeping this one on my shelf to remind me that even on my messiest days, I'm no Chiaki-at-the-start-of-this-book. :P
Negin
Although I have Marie Kondo’s original book, and I keep telling myself that I’ll read it someday, I don’t think that it will be anytime soon, if at all. I struggle with the self-help/self-improvement genre. Knowing that I will likely never read the original book, I picked up this edition when we were in my favorite bookstore in Miami almost a year ago.

This was a quick and fun graphic novel. I assume that it’s a condensed version of the original book. I didn’t care for the character Chiaki or th
Milliebot
Sep 01, 2017 rated it it was ok

This review and others posted over at my blog.

I don’t normally read these type of lifestyle books and a manga edition was probably the only way I was ever going to pick up this book.

It’s a cute comic (fyi: it’s not set up in traditional manga style, you read this from front to back and left to right, or it won’t make much sense lol) and I enjoyed the art style. Marie organizes the book by category of items – the way she believes you should be organizing your own items, rather than r
Mehsi
It is time to tidy up your life! Well, if you are such a terrible case as Chiaki is. :P

I already knew about the normal book, and I even tried it, but it just wasn't for me. So when I saw there was a manga for the book, I was curious, but also hesitant. I read a sample online and well, I couldn't resist. The art was fun, the story seemed interesting, and I wanted to know if garbage-dump-living Chiaki could change her way.

Chiaki is really terrible in cleaning/tidying up. I mean, I get that you get
Em*bedded-in-books*
Always been a packrat .
Recently have been finding junk whereever I turn in my considerably spacious home .
So decided to clean up.
Had heard about KonMari , but was very skeptical, and was also angry at her about her view on books , which is almost blasphemous for an ardent book collector like me.
But this book opened my eyes. I have not ( and may never) reach the stage of discarding my books , but today have already disposed of 4 sackfuls of unnecessary material .
Shanley
Sep 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
I have an annual tradition of reading "the life changing magic of tidying up" (yeah i'm crazy), but this manga was a nice substitute this year to give me the organizing pick-me-up that I needed. I don't know what it is about KonMari but she has some kind of magic fairy dust strangle-hold over me. I can't get enough of her.
rachel ☾
yes, i am that person who loves marie kondo

BlogGoodreadsTwitterInstagramThe Book Depository
Amanda
Nov 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I heard there was a manga version of this book, I was very intrigued. It was a cute refresher on tidying and makes me want to do another round. I’m still keeping all my unread books though. :P
Ilinalta
Jul 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a hoarder and someone who stores things never to be seen again, a lot of these lessons and the things the main character was going through related to me. As I read through the book I would groan and say "ahhh, I have the same issue too,"

It's definitely a book I would recommend to people since we all seem to have issues with materials and simple tidying up. The idea of spark joy is one I'll keep in mind as I go about my daily life now.

Lauren
Konmari revolution - in manga! All the same concepts and categories, and the visual book format was fun to read. People read books like this for inspiration, and it worked! I am konmari-ing my bookshelves and office now. Spark joy!
Julie
This was insightful. Honestly I want to get rid of all the unnecessary junk in my room because I'm always a mess. I haven't started yet so maybe I'll update later on if it worked or not.
Nadja
The Netflix series inspired me of course to read this manga and I enjoyed it very much. The picture medium works very well to get a good insight into the KonMari Method and the story of Chiaki and her life is a nice side bonus.
Reem Ghabbany
Sep 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading this manga and it motivated me to be more organized and get rid of the things I don't really need.
this book explains how tidying up affects all aspects of our lives. how it affects our past and future.
Katie
Jul 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult-gn
I couldn't get through Marie Kondo's other books, but I love this manga version! It is funny and provides good tips without being repetitive. I think illustrating Kondo's ideas works beautifully.
Lisa (Remarkablylisa)
Feb 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: feb-2020, asian-books
The romance was so cute in this one!!!
Rehan Abd Jamil
May 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Love it🥰
Jamie
Apr 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Cute! I have actually read the original Life-Changing Magic of Tidying-up so I thought this was more graphic and just images of what that was. No. This was an actual story of a young woman who chooses to change her life. In this, she calls Marie Kondo over to help. We do get the steps but it takes place from the perspective of the one receiving the help. WE see commonly asked questions, and how our choices can impact others. A great refresher and story in one!
Cristina Monica
Aug 11, 2018 added it
Shelves: manga
Never before have I read an educational non-fiction/fiction manga. I have before read perhaps one memoir in manga format, but that is all. All the rest have been fictive tales.

What is interesting here is that we have both. We have someone who teaches – Marie Kondo herself – as a main character, and someone who absorbs the teaching material and applies it to her life and home, the two being interrelated.

Actually, I have listened to Marie Kondo’s non-fiction book about tidying up, on which this m

• Fruits Basket, Vol. 1
  • Ouran High School Host Club, Vol. 1 (Ouran High School Host Club, #1)
  • Vampire Knight, Vol. 1 (Vampire Knight, #1)
  • Death Note, Vol. 1: Boredom (Death Note, #1)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 1 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #1)
  • Black Butler, Vol. 1 (Black Butler, #1)
  • Emma, Vol. 07
  • Skip Beat!, Vol. 01
  • Beast Master, Vol. 2 (Beast Master, #2)
  • Yotsuba&!, Vol. 1 (Yotsuba&! #1)
  • Bleach, Volume 01
  • 約束のネバーランド 1 [Yakusoku no Neverland 1]
  • Naruto, Vol. 01: Uzumaki Naruto (Naruto, #1)
  • My Hero Academia, Vol. 1 (My Hero Academia, #1)
  • Tokyo Ghoul, Tome 1 (Tokyo Ghoul, #1)
  • High School Debut, Vol. 01 (High School Debut, #1)
  • Princess Jellyfish 2-in-1 Omnibus, Volume 2 (Princess Jellyfish 2-in-1 Omnibus, #2)
  • Kimi ni Todoke: From Me to You, Vol. 1
Marie Kondo (近藤 麻理恵) is a Japanese organizing consultant and author. Kondo's method of organizing is known as the KonMari Method, and one of the main principles is keeping only possessions which "spark joy."

Kondo's best-seller The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing has been published in more than 30 countries.

She was listed as one of the world's 100

Magic Cleaning (3 books)
  • The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing
  • Spark Joy: An Illustrated Master Class on the Art of Organizing and Tidying Up
  • Joy at Work: Organizing Your Professional Life