Start by marking “Kill Someone” as Want to Read:
Kill Someone

Kill Someone

Length: 8h 53min

From the author of the international best-seller The Stone Man, shortlisted for Audible UK's Book of the Year Award 2015
Here are the rules.
Method: you can't use a gun. You can't use explosives. You can't use poison. It has to be up close and personal. You don't have to worry about leaving evidence; that will be taken care of.
Victim: no one suicidal. No/>Victim:/>/>
Audible Audio, Unabridged, 9 pages
Published 2016 by Audible Studios

To ask other readers questions about Kill Someone, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of Kill Someone
Andrew Smith
Mar 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Luke Smitherd writes strange and disturbing stuff. There’s death and voices in your head and things that might be real or might be imagined. It’s mystery and it’s science fiction and it’s horror – he’s not locked into one genre, he bestrides them all.

When I listened to In The Darkness, That's Where I'll Know You: The Complete Black Room Story I knew I’d found an author with a rich imagination and an ability to draw you into a story that made no real sense, a story that defies cognition.
Katie
Jan 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Rundown
“Here are the rules. Method: you can’t use a gun. You can’t use explosives. You can’t use poison. It has to be up close and personal. You don’t have to worry about leaving evidence; that will be taken care of. Victim: no one suicidal. No one over the age of 65. No one with a terminal illness. Choose your method. Choose your victim.”

Kill Someone by Luke Smitherd is aptly named. This part horror, part suspense thriller, does not waste any time jettisoning you into a wi
Mart
”My decision was therefore this:
I could afford to go into the third time block. Olivia could afford to lose two arms, if that was the cost of making sure I had chosen correctly. That meant I had until 2:59PM tomorrow to kill someone. That, to me, was fair.”

Finally a thriller that is… well, a thriller. I am tired of pseudo-thrillers like Gone Girl and The Girl on the Train where nothing interesting ever happens and we have tons of mundane “action” with boring third-rate characters who are impos
 Marple
Imagine this..
You answer the door and find two men wearing suits, offering a seemingly impossible choice: kill a random stranger - one of your choosing - within twelve days in order to save the lives of five kidnapped siblings. Refuse, and they die slowly and painfully. The clock is ticking, the Man in White is watching.
Ask yourself if you could do it. Then ask yourself who you would choose.
If you decided to go through the process.Here are the rules.

Method: you can't use a gun. You can't u/>/>Ask
Davíð Sigurður
a very interesting premise but falls flat as to what the point of it all is, a rich guy going to incredible lengths to make random people kill random people to save more random people who are good people the rich guy kidnapped and is going to kill unless you kill someone?
plus the main character was such a whiny crybaby.
Gatorman
Jul 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining, well-written thriller from Smitherd about a regular guy, Chris, who is given the option by "the Man in White" to kill someone (under a specific set of rules) or else have a family of five sisters die a slow, painful death. It's gripping from beginning to end and makes you care about Chris's plight with a first-person telling of the struggles Chris faces with the challenge. Just the right length and a solid ending make this one a winner from an author I'd never heard of before (than ...more
David
Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: wimps, whingers, wankers, and other Engish invertebrates
There's a particular type of British protagonist — I see him sometimes in American fiction, but he's particularly popular in British books and TV shows, for some reason.

He's a mewling, spineless, indecisive, stammering, hapless, feckless, unfuckable loser whom we're nonetheless supposed to identify with because he's an Ordinary Joe. An Everyman whom I guess the reader is supposed to find non-threatening or, Gods forbid, able to "identify" with.

I don't, and I fucking hate
~ Cariad ~
Jun 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Totally different audiobook for me!

Didn't see that ending coming, so it made for an interesting and probably...right completion of the task???
Who's knows what I'd do if put in the same situation.
Abdul
Apr 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One night, a Man In White knocks on Chris' door. Chris, a 21 year old man who works at a call center, lives with his parents and coasts along in life with no ambition.

His world turns upside down when he is presented with the biggest moral dilemma of his life:
to save the lives of 5 kidnapped siblings who are famous humanitarians and philanthropists he must kill a random person in 12 days. Someone random or a scum who deserves to die more than the 5 innocent humanitarians who will oth
Paul
Nov 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received a free copy of this book in exchange for a fair and honest review.

So. You need to kill someone or more people will die. All possible plans to avoid it have been thought of and rules have been put in place to make sure you either do it, or know if you don't do it you will be responsible for the death of others.

The thing is, Chris is an average guy. He's no killer. He expresses the same thoughts you have as you read the book. Whats the least worst possible outcome? its some
Antoinette Perez
Ugh. I forgot my 10% rule until I was too far into this to ditch in.
Pepca
Mar 20, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, e-book
Michael Ngo
Aug 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-reads
I went into this book thinking it was a "making of a monster" kind of gory book and toward the middle, I started feeling disappointed because it wasn't. Then toward the end after the twists and turns, I appreciated the ethics and moral philosophy it provoked.

What I like most about this book is that it's thought proking. Every step of the way you question whether Chris is doing the "right thing" and what you would do in his place and that was quite fun.
Jameson Skaife
Jun 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great read by Luke Smitherd. Quick and entertaining. Great character development. Interesting premise with some good twists. Another dive into deep and complex subjects (morality, race, meaning of life) but in a very relatable and entertaining way.
Daniel Šturm
Apr 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting idea. Thrilling read. I finished it in two days.
Margo
Very enjoyable story in the "what if" style. Speculative fiction.
JoyLynn Adams
Mar 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Woah! Talk about an emotional and psychological roller coaster! The fact that it took me a few days to read says far more about what I was doing those few days and less about the quality of the book (because once the Process truly started, I did not want to put it down...but, ya know, life). You need to read this (all of you, and then let me know your thoughts!), and I need to check out more by the author!
Mylene
Mar 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror-best
Made me question what I would do

I loved the premise of this story..... and I wasn't disappointed. Wow! What a great story. It made you think a lot and it was filled with action. Don't be discouraged as it starts a little slow but picks up quickly. It could also have been a total copy of "The Box" but it wasn't. It was much deeper and much more realistic. Can't wait to read more from this author.
Fern  Love
Sep 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Suzanne
Mar 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: page-turners
This is definitely a dark story with a very twisted premise but it's really well written and fast paced and I just couldn't put it down. I started reading it after work and didn't stop (except, begrudgingly, to make my kids dinner) until I was finished. I simultaneously liked and didn't like the ending on a question, but I thought it fit perfectly nonetheless. Totally one of those premises where you never want to have to think a person could be faced with and yet it is not totally implausible wi ...more
Lorraine King
Mar 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The first one l read........

Wow , what a great read ! Totally unexpected from start to finish - a rare thing to find for me anyway !! I've already raved about this book to my reading buddy Dawn Wheeler and l know we are both destined to be "smithereens" !! Keep em coming Luke , can't wait to get my hands on the rest !!!
Paula
Mar 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kill someone

Once I started reading I could not put this book down, it's not my normal type of book but It kept me interested to the end
Twamos
Mar 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you like Stephen King then you need to check out this book!! Was exquisitely delicious and fast paced. The author gives enough - but not too much - detail about the characters and the plot was bloody fabulous!!!! Highly recommend!!
Robyn
Mar 06, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Like that episode of Black Mirror "Shut Up and Dance" except that there's no motivation for the wafer thin "plot", the writing is unsophisticated, drawn out, dull and predictable; the characters unsympathetic and overall just wholly unoriginal and boring.

So basically nothing like that episode of Black Mirror other than the fact that there's a young male protagonist being coerced and antagonised by an all-powerful villain.

Christ, even the title of the book is utter shite.
Joanne
Dec 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book asks the question made most famous by "Spock" in "Star Trek - The Wrath of Khan": "Is the good of the many more important than the good of the few--or the one" (paraphrase)? And, if it is, is it the moral/right/decent/human thing to "Kill Someone" to make it so?

The main character, Chris, is given this very dilemma. He is just a normal young man--maybe a little lazy, maybe not too ambitious, maybe a little lost-- when he is literally forced to grow up and make choices no one
Louise K.
Nov 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Truly human; terrible, dark, and wonderfully sinister.

What is the value of one human life? What about five lives? Could you weigh the worth of one person against another, and decide which of them should die?

The latest offering from Luke Smitherd is a story quite unlike anything I’ve read before. Narrated by Chris, a perfectly ordinary man living a perfectly ordinary life, Kill Someone takes us by the hand and leads us—despite our resistance—into situations perhaps far dar
Lori
Kill Someone by Luke Smitherd is an intense, psychological thriller. Smitherd introduces us to Chris, a 20-something black man who lives with his parents, has a dead-end job in a call center and friends he doesn't have anything in common with. On one fateful early morning, Chris, home alone as his parents are away, is awakened by a knock at the door. Upon answering it, his life changes forever. The Man in White and Klaus enter his home, tell him a fantastical tale and then gives him a choice - k ...more
Underground Book Reviews
If you like psychological horror and books that make you think as well as scare you, this book is for you. The author is a true professional and this reader can tell that he knows his craft, his pacing and character development. The book never lags. The characters live and breathe and feel very intense emotions that draw you in and make you sympathize. The internal monologue is handled deftly as well, without bogging down the reader in Chris’s agonizing decisions, but giving us enough to allow u ...more
Elizabeth Berger
I saw this advertised on audible, and whilst it isn't a book I would normally be drawn to its tag lines intrigued. So I went over to Amazon to read the sample pages, and was hooked. I immediately bought the book and devoured it in a matter of hours. This is a strange and utterly bizarre concept, but if you suspend incredulity it grips you. Very well written, tightly paced and with wonderfull characters, You will find yourself analysing yourself as you read it though. I now have an Amazon basket ...more
Kelly Rickard
Dec 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So the point of the story is you need to kill someone or lots of people die. This is a very thought-provoking book and very dark in its nature. It doesn't have the usual humour that is in the author's other works but that takes nothing away from the story and it wouldn't have been right in this context. This is so well written that you feel every emotion of the character of Chris. The sinking feeling in the pub and with his boss made the scene so realistic and that is what a great book should do ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Looking for horror/thriller/mystery/gore 1 3 Apr 05, 2018 01:43AM

• Silent Source
  • The Girl Who Heard Everything
  • Be Mine (Tom Reed and Walt Sydowski #5)
  • Tuned Out
  • Dark Heart (A Cooper & Quinn Mystery, #1)
  • The Diary: The Complete Loving a Killer Serial
  • Squall
  • Kill Switch
  • The Lure (Frank Bennett Adirondack Mystery #2)
  • Roam
  • Clawthorn (Clement, #3)
  • Concealment (Crazy Amy #1)
  • Deadly Lies
  • All That Remains (A Missing & Exploited Suspense Series, #1)
  • White Lies
  • Eden's Revenge (Eden Paradox, #3)
  • The Mystery Box
  • Who Sent Clement? (Clement #1)
Born under a Derbyshire sky, to the sounds of a doctor saying "I know they all look bad fresh out of the oven, but bloody hell..."

Professional writer; singer and guitarist, darts enthusiast, workaholic suffering from chronic procrastination (conflict!), comics nerd.

If you like my stuff, please leave a nice star rating, and tweet/post a status about it. You'll be doing me a
“That was when something hit me. The white suit he was wearing wasn't just a fashion choice. I mean, who actually dresses like that? Nobody, at least nobody in reality. Yeah, Ok, his big friend was in standard spook/secret service/bodyguard gear, but this guy? He was a walking cliche. It was like somebody said to me, Hey Chris, can you imagine a Colombian drug lord for me please? And this guy had popped up as the end result.” 0 likes
“hard knocks came on the cubicle door. Then silence. My blood turned into water. More” 0 likes