Start by marking “I Have No Secrets” as Want to Read:
I Have No Secrets

I Have No Secrets

Jemma knows who did the murder. She knows because he told her. And she can't tell anyone.

Fourteen-year-old Jemma has severe cerebral palsy. Unable to communicate or move, she relies on her family and carer for everything. She has a sharp brain and inquisitive nature, and knows all sorts of things about everyone. But when she is confronted with this terrible secret, she is
Published May 4th 2017 by Electric Monkey

To ask other readers questions about I Have No Secrets, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Penny Joelson That's lovely to hear! So glad you loved it so much!
Penny Joelson There is a German edition of 'I Have No Secrets'.

Alice-Elizabeth (marriedtobooks)
Jun 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
This book was recommended to me by one of my bookish friends Megan, so thanks so much for the reading rec because I was most definitely not disappointed with this standalone thriller! I Have No Secrets follows fourteen year old Jemma who has cerebral palsy and cannot communicate. We as a reader can hear what she is thinking but no words are spoken by her out loud. Down the road she lives on, a local guy has been murdered but the case remains unsolved. Until the murderer himself realises that Jem ...more
Liz Barnsley
Mar 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a really terrific read that encompassed many things - but the best thing about it was Jemma who's character voice shone through the entirety of the story and kept you on her side from the very opening pages.

So she has cerebral palsy - she cannot communicate but has an active and intelligent brain, misses nothing going on around her and is also somewhat of a deep thinker. Living in a family of fostered children, all with their own issues, one day somebody tells her a secret. A murderer.
Bookread2day
May 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Review by www.ireadnovels.wordpress.com I Have No Secrets is a page turning debut thriller by Penny Joelson. The paperback is a must buy - must read. I appreciate Penny Joelson's writing with the quality of each character that really impressed me making me want to read on and know more about each one.

This remarkable tale is about fourteen year old Jemma who is disabled she has cerebral palsy and is confined to a wheelchair. Jemma is unable to move, speak or communicate in any way. Her foster fa
James
Oct 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
‘I Have No Secrets’ by Penny Joelson (2017) is a contemporary thriller aimed squarely at the YA demographic. ‘Secrets’ tells the story of Jemma, an intelligent young teenager, who has severe cerebral palsy, is quadriplegic, for the most part confined to her wheelchair and unable to communicate.

Jemma lives with her foster family – parents, a brother who is severely autistic and a sister with significant behavioural issues and her carer Sarah. The key to ‘Secrets’ essentially that Jemma is unable
Ivy
Vielen Dank an den Fischer Tor Verlag, der mir das Buch kostenlos als Rezensionsexemplar zur Verfügung gestellt hat im Austausch gegen meine ehrliche Meinung. Auch hier bleibt meine Meinung unverfälscht.

Im Rahmen der Ausarbeitung einer Bloggeraktion bin ich auf dieses Buch aufmerksam geworden und war mir gleich von Anfang an sicher, dass es sich hierbei um ein ganz besonderes Schmuckstück handeln muss. Alleine der Klappentext verspricht so viel. In der Hoffnung, dass der Inhalt des Buches all d
Josephine
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Very surprising. I have never read a book like this one before, but it was totally brilliant. It is books like this that restore me out of my reading slump. Let's hope it keeps going on like this!
Rachel
Mar 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
“I’ve been this way all my life. I can see, though, and I can hear, and sometimes people forget that; they don’t realise that I have a functioning brain. Sometimes people talk about me as if I’m not even there. I hate that.”

This book was a great read and a real eye opener.

Jemma has severe cerebral palsy and as a result she cannot move, only involuntarily, and she cannot talk, but her mind is very much alive. This is a very important YA crime novel addressing disability and yet in no way focusing
Evan Lien
Jun 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Jemma can't talk. She can't walk, move, sing, dance, or eat. She can't go to the bathroom by herself. But she can think. And she can see. And sometimes, people forget that. They do things they shouldn't do in front of her. It's no big deal. Who is she going to tell, anyway?

Jemma doesn't feel the need to communicate, either. She was taught to blink "yes" and "no" when she was little, but then she got an infection, and woke up unable to control her eye movements. She never told anyone that she was
PinkAmy loves  \u0026#x1f495; books\u0026#x1f4d6;, cats\u0026#x1f63b; and naps\u0026#x1f6cf;
**Thank you to NetGalley for providing me with a free e-copy of I HAVE NO SECRETS in exchange for my honest review**

GRADE: A

Jemma, confined to a wheelchair and unable to speak due to Cerebral Palsy, is used to listening. People tell her everything, even dark secrets, because they know she'll never know. Her carer's boyfriend even tells her he murdered someone. When he finds out she may be able to communicate through a new technology, she may not be safe.

I HAVE NO SECRETS is one of the most delig
Karina
Jemma is 14 and suffers from cerebral palsy; her family know she is smart, but she is completely unable to communicate with anyone. People often confide in her because they know she can never reveal their secrets; this becomes dangerous when Dan, her carer's boyfriend, taunts her with the knowledge of a violent crime he claims he has committed...

A gripping thriller and a sensitive, empathic look at life from a different perspective, this is a page-turner that makes you think.

Perfect for fans of
Chelsea Hazlehurst
As someone who lives Cerebral Plasy, it is lovely to read a book where the main character has the condition, though I'm not as severe as the character in the book I found it very relatable. The story itself is unique and different. The main character Jemma is absolutely brilliant I couldn't put it down it was a fantastic read.
Aimee
Aug 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Review to come.
Jacqueline Oestringer
Jemma hat eine Zerebralparese und ist Quadriplegikerin, sie kann sich weder kontrolliert bewegen, noch sprechen. Das bringt manche Menschen dazu, ihr Dinge zu erzählen, die sie keinem anderen anvertrauen würden, vermutlich nichtsahnend, dass Jemma wirklich alles versteht und nur eben nicht darauf reagieren kann. Doch was würde passieren, wenn es eventuell eine Möglichkeit geben könnte, ihr zur Kommunikation zu verhelfen? Und wenn manchen dann bewusst würde, wie gefährlich das an Jemma übermittel ...more
Holly McKie
Jul 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was such a refreshingly different read, quite unlike anything I have ever read before most of which is down to the narrator. Jemma has severe cerebral palsy - she can’t speak, move or do anything for herself. She lives with her foster parents, her two foster siblings, and her full-time carer, Sarah. It has so many ups and downs with her family life and people telling her secrets because they know she can’t tell, and then Sarah goes missing and Jemma is the only one who knows what could have ...more
Sue
Jul 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant book.
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Haven't felt this emotional reading something in a very long time. The whole plot is truly brilliant and so eye opening, I was unable to stop reading.
Ella
May 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Für mich ist dieses Buch ein richtiges Wunder!

Ich habe zum ersten Mal bei der Buchhandlung Wittwer Testleseaktion mitgemacht. Und nach anfänglicher Skepsi beim Lesen des Klappentextes … bin ich soooooo begeistert von diesem Buch. Einfach wundervoll erzählt.
Alles an diesem Buch ist super! Ich bin in allen Kategorien überzeugt worden! Cover, Story, Figuren, Stil! Wundervoll!
Und ich habe ganz neue Sichtweisen kennengelernt. Menschen, die vermeintlich “machtlos” sind, können viel bewirken. Oder sin
Jill Jemmett
Jul 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Jemma is a quadriplegic with cerebral palsy. She can't speak or move her body to communicate. She was put up for adoption and has lived with her family since she was 2 years old. They also have two foster kids, Olivia and Finn. Sarah is Jemma's support worker who lives with them. Since Jemma can't speak, people tell her their secrets because they assume she can't hear as well. But Jemma knows everything that's happening. She even knows more than most people because she knows their secrets. Sarah ...more
Wan rohani harun
Jan 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children, teen
I got this book from nysbg organised by Bookends Bookclub. I had been eyeing this book for awhile before that and requested this book when I joined the event. Tq so much my secret giver...

This book started promisingly and then in the middle I started to fear for the MC life. I don’t think I want to give spoilers here, but I love the ending. I teared up a bit, only a bit because I was in a public place while reading that part. Won’t do to cry my heart out right?

Reading this book made me realized
Sue Bentley
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A gripping novel. Jemma, the main character, is an intelligent, sensitive teenager. Because of her condition she relies on her sometimes chaotic family and her carer for everything. Jemma is unable to speak, but she knows lots of things. She can see and she can hear and people sometimes tell her their secrets, because they think it's safe and she can't tell anyone. Some people have the sort of secrets that are dangerous and put lives at risk. This was a compelling read and I couldn't put it down ...more
Alex Peachman
Mar 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book has got it all - a page turner with some real surprises and heart-stopping moments, but also gives you a view of the world that most people have probably not seen before. It's written from the point of view of a girl with cerebral palsy, and aside from the criminal/mystery part of it, it follows her struggles to communicate. Highly recommended!!
Hannah
Jan 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved reading this book it was so addicting and gave an important message that disabled can have power. This book got me in a small amount of tears around the end, I definitely recommend this book it has an amazing story involving crime.
16donagherg
Sep 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. It made me look at the world a different way and made me realise how lucky I am. I the fact that Jemma goes through this journey with only her thoughts is amazing. The thing with this book is that no matter what happens, there is a definite sense of Jemma’s preacence and her hope throughout the whole book. I would recommend this to anyone.
16PrattI
Oct 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
15PinderF
Mar 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book and I couldn't put it down and it made me really engage with the plot, it is an amazing book and would recommend it to anyone.
Jenn
Nov 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
What a great book! It flew by as I read and was absorbed into Jemma’s life. I love learning about things I know little about and this book was totally that. Jenna was wonderful.
Chelsea Hagen
Oct 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. I too am an AAC user and know what it’s like to not have a voice.
Ruby Rae Reads
Oct 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book totally took me by suprise. I'd never heard of it and I'd seen great reviews. I didn't expect to enjoy it as much as I did. I loved Jemma's character and didn't know that she was disable going into it, which made it all the more interesting. I really loved the disability representation in this book and how diverse it was in that aspect. The book as a whole brings such an important message. I assume Olivia is bipolar? And I also found Finn's character very interesting. The whole plot wa ...more
Sabrina
Jun 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Inhalt:

Jemma ist seit sie sich erinnern kann in ihrem eigenen Körper gefangen. Sie kann sich weder bewegen noch kann sie sprechen, und doch nimmt sie am täglichen Leben ihrer Pflegefamilie teil.
So kommt es auch, dass sie für ihre Menschen auf Grund ihrer Erkrankung als eine Art „Tagebuch“ angesehen wird bei dem jedes Geheimnis sicher ist.

Jemma erfährt dadurch so einiges von ihren Mitmenschen, schöne und auch schreckliche Dinge, wie beispielsweise wichtige Details über einen Mord in ihrer Nachba
Richard Shepherd
Jul 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
My daughter loved this book and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
“But I guess sometimes there is nothing you can say. It's just being there that's important.” 0 likes
“I've realised something important. Being able to communicate doesn't mean that anyone's going to listen.” 0 likes