Start by marking “La meravigliosa vita degli elementi: La chimica come non l'avete mai vista” as Want to Read:
La meravigliosa vita degli elementi: La chimica come non l'avete mai vista

La meravigliosa vita degli elementi: La chimica come non l'avete mai vista

Nella tavola periodica rivisitata da Bunpei, ogni elemento chimico possiede un carattere proprio, le cui peculiarità sono rappresentate visivamente: gli elementi pesanti hanno corporatura robusta, quelli sintetici sono dei robot, i gas nobili sfoggiano una vivace acconciatura afro... Nel disegno dell'elemento ogni dettaglio è significativo, dalla lunghezza della barba ...more
Published 2014 by Vallardi (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about La meravigliosa vita degli elementi, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about La meravigliosa vita degli elementi

Start your review of La meravigliosa vita degli elementi: La chimica come non l'avete mai vista
David Schaafsma
I am a humanities guy, but someone suggested I check out how science could get taught/enhanced through comics. And it works! I mean, I am not exactly interested in this subject, but if I were studying organic chemistry, whoa! Chemistry with a sense of humor!

Yorifuji imagines every element as a unique character whose properties are represented visually, and anthropomorphically: Heavy elements are fat (okay, large) guys, and so on. We learn about the properties of the elements as if they were
Jaylia3
Nov 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful Life with the Elements is fantastic! Originally published in Japan, every element in the periodic table is represented in this book as a cute little man to make it easier to understand and remember that elements properties, uses, and history. The drawings, in shades of yellow and black, are definitely quirky but for me that is part of their charm. Different hairstyles, clothing, and body types are used to give at-a-glance information about the elements. Hydrogen, for instance, is a ...more
Lani M
Nov 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wish this book was published back when I studied Organic Chemistry. Perhaps, it would be a great addition to the text book.

The book describes all elements in the world, leads you to understand what exactly chemists talk about when they say we encounter and use elements from the beginning we open our eyes until bed time. Even the elements are within our bodies. Go read it if you're curious enough.
Kang
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cute graphics with a serious content and an important message to readers about our precious resources.
Andres Eguiguren
Dec 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As the title makes clear, Yorifuji has taken the traditionally "dry" periodic table of the elements and created one where each element has been personified based on its weight, main characteristics, uses, etc. While it's not the type of book that you are likely to read from cover to cover, it is certainly a quirky and useful reference book, and it neatly makes chemistry come alive in a creative way.
Tazendra
Apr 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reread-book
Well, my brother was actually given this, and before that, I didn't really know the elements very well. The only names of the elements I remembered very well before this book were Oxygen, Hydrogen, Gold, Silver, Copper, Zinc, and Nitrogen. (Maybe Neon.) But now, I know a LOT more than I used to, and I also wasn't really a science type of person. (Although I am interested in certain science-y stuff.) But now, I know that Selenium is in chocolate and can lower the chances of heart disease, and ...more
Puri Kencana Putri
"If the body were an orchestra, the minerals would be its conductor."

A marvelous book for a so-so person who are not interested into science. Yes, me. Nevertheless, I enjoyed so much every page, illustration, and explanation from the author. Now, I know that the average human is made up from approximately 65% of oxygen, 18% of carbon, and 10% of hydrogen. For a beginner one, reading this book is so much fun compared to the relevant subjects that I got in the classroom :p
Nov 15, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was interesting, although not exactly a sit down read. I don't know why all the personified elements needed to be male (complete with genitalia) and I honestly found that to be quite a distraction (the suggestion that everything that makes up our universe is apparently male, not the cartoon genitalia). Again, an interesting idea (the book, not the gendered universe) and a memorable way of presenting an abstract concept, but overall I can only rate this as okay.
Alaina Sloo
A really fun way of understanding the periodic table, or at least enjoying it! Different characteristics of each element are systematically visualized as characteristics of a person: a hairdo, clothing, body type, etc, so that each element becomes a Japanese cartoon character. Great for older elementary school kids all the way up to adult readers who like the periodic table.
Spencer
Aug 15, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
"In this super periodic table, every element is a unique character whose properties are represented visually: heavy elements are fat, man-made elements are robots, and noble gases sport impressive afros. Every detail is significant, from the length of an element's beard to the clothes on its back."
Jennifer Heise
Cute take on the elements! Compare to the Elements project by Kaycie D.
Lori Boan Overcash
Bunpei Yorifuji, best known for the ad series Do It at Home for the Tokyo metro line, is both an artist and an illustrator. In his graphic novel, Wonderful Life with the Elements: The Periodic Table Personified, Yorifuji both reimagines the periodic table while breathing it to life. Through clever use of icons, Yorifuji personifies the elements and aids the neophyte with an innovative tool to understand and examine the periodic table; while giving educators and instructors alike a new way of ...more
Tú Pa
Jan 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is really amazing! When I was at school, chemistry is the object I hate the most.. until I've met this book. I'd like to recommend, even you dont like chemistry, let's give it a try!
Dominique
Jul 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those interested in Science
Shelves: on-bookshelf
Well Written

[Note: Review transitioned from Barnes & Noble website]

This is an excellent book. The author describes every element in the periodic table. The description includes the atomic weight, scientific abbreviation, and a description of what that element is use for (for most elements), with other details in a picture like format. I liked how the author introduced the elements to our daily lives, what we eat, how the elements are utilized daily; including our bodies are described.
J
Mar 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I never thought Id spend a Sunday afternoon of my adult life reading a book about the periodic table for no specific reason and thoroughly enjoying myself. I also never thought Id ever have a favourite element or end up memorizing the different families of elements. But I did. I cannot recommend this book enough. I wish I had had it when I was actually taking chemistry. I'm sure my grades would have been better, and it would have been a more interesting class for me.

Michiel
Apr 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chemistry
I have complained that I is very hard to find good popular science books on chemistry. After reading this I am afraid that the bar for this niche has been set far to high for these books.

This is a wonderful read, very nice illustrations, funny and contains lots of interesting little facts about the different elements!
Diana
Nov 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I personally love this little book, but those for whom I bought (the more chemistry-oriented in my life) have not been taken by its quirkiness as much as me. I wish I could draw like this author does.
Stuart
Feb 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science
Good little quirky look at the elements. Elements personified doesn't hold a lot of information but is a good way at understanding age, uses, relationships and behaviour of elements. I don't think there could be a more fun book on the elements and worth a flick through just for the illustrations.
Mckinley
Yes the periodic table and the elements can be made into a fun and educational comic!
If you want more on the elements in a readable narrative see: The Disappearing Spoon: And Other True Tales of Madness, Love, and the History of the World from the Periodic Table of the Elements
by Sam Kean
Ilib4kids
546.8 YOR
Andrea
Mar 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a really great help for learning about the periodic table. The illustrations are really cute and funny as well but you still learn something.
J. A.
Oct 07, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another recommendation from brainpickings.org, which I thoroughly dug. Plus, it taught me about the elements, like, for real.
Keith
Sep 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
BEST. BOOK. EVER.
Victor
Jun 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Refreshing but also kooky Japanese comic-book overview of the elements in the periodic table.
Dgg32
Sep 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An interesting form of personification, transforming elements in punk-style cartoon figures. A fun read and at the same time serves as a dictionary for elements. Great!
Matt Malone
Dec 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful way to look at the world around us and understand the chemistry involved in our lives. If you love elements and the periodic table, you'll love the humor and design of this book.
Eric
Dec 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is pure genius. There should be one of these in every elementary school in the world.
Brett Taylor
Nov 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A unique way of considering the elements!
Sohum
Jun 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really wish I had read this before taking Chemistry, but really I wish I could have given this to my chemistry teacher. It's cute, mildly informative, and an easy coffee table book.

• The Cartoon Guide to Physics
  • The Imitation Game
  • The Comic Book Story of Beer: The World's Favorite Beverage from 7000 BC to Today's Craft Brewing Revolution
  • Marie Curie - The Radium Fairy
  • Force: Character Design from Life Drawing
  • Force: Animal Drawing: Animal Locomotion and Design Concepts for Animators
  • Force: Drawing Human Anatomy (Force Drawing Series)
  • Force: Dynamic Life Drawing for Animators
  • 50 Things to Draw
  • Geek Silicon Valley
  • Saga: Compendium One
  • Computer: A History of the Information Machine
  • How to Take Smart Notes: One Simple Technique to Boost Writing, Learning and Thinking – for Students, Academics and Nonfiction Book Writers