Start by marking “Where She Went” as Want to Read:
Where She Went

Where She Went

TV journalist Melanie Black wakes up one morning next to a man she doesn't recognise. It's not the first time - but he ignores her even though she's in his bed. Yet when his wife walks in with a cup of tea he greets her with a smile and to her horror, Melanie comes to realise that no one can see or her hear her - because she is dead.

But has she woken up next to her murdere
Published July 27th 2017 by Constable

Start your review of Where She Went
Maureen
Jun 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Here's a really fresh take on a 'whodunit' with the protagonist recounting events that led to her death. TV journalist Melanie Black was brutally murdered, and instead of the 'bright light at the end of the tunnel' she finds herself living in the home of her murderer and his wife and son, although of course, they can't see or hear her.

Melanie Black wasn't a particularly nice person, she enjoyed putting people down, and had no qualms about 'sticking the knife in' if she saw someone as a threat, e
Kendall
May 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
Where She Went is a crime thriller about a female tv journalist's murder with a little mix of a ghost story.
We meet Melanie Black our main character who wakes up to a man that she does not recognize. She quickly realizes that this unfamiliar man cannot see or hear Melanie. Melanie finds out that she is dead... VERY DEAD. Early on in the novel, you find out Melanie is living in the home of her killer and his wife. Interesting right? So.. as you can imagine what is Melanie supposed to do with this
Amanda - Mrs B's Book Reviews
Mar 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-books
* https://mrsbbookreviews.wordpress.com
Where She Went is a psychological thriller, crossed crime novel – with some ghostly elements. It is the story of an ambitious television journalist’s murder and how the killer is eventually brought to justice.

Melanie Black is a television journalist who is used to reporting crimes to her audience. The tables are turned when Melanie finds herself at the front and centre of a terrible crime – her own murder. The nightmare begins when Melanie wakes up in an un
Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
I so enjoyed this book. From very early on I knew I was going to like it and picked it up at every spare moment I got. You know those books that are just great to read? The ones that you can read in one sitting and get absorbed in? For me, this is one of those great books. The entire concept was great!

Journalist Melanie Black wakes up next to a strange man, it's not very long that she works out that she is actually dead. Very dead. She has in fact landed in the house of her murderer and his wife
Louise Wilson
Jul 11, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. TV journalist Melanie Black wakes up next to a man she does not recognise. It's not the first time, but he ignores her even though she's in his bed. Then his wife walks in with a cup of tea and he greets her with a smile. To her horror, Melanie realises that no one can see her because she is dead. Has she just woken up next to her murderer?

This book is entirely voiced by Melanie. It's not often we get a ghost as the main character. We share her journey as she adapt to her new abilitie
Nicki
Mar 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
My Son and Daughter occasionally have a playful argument over the fact that you cannot wake up dead but that is exactly what happens to tv reporter Melanie Black.She wakes up one morning in the bed of a strange man,this is not exactly a rare occurrence in Melanie`s life but then something very unusual happens....he completely ignores her.Things get even stranger when his wife comes in with a cup of tea and also ignores her,that is when Melanie realises the shocking truth....she is obviously dead ...more
Liz Barnsley
Mar 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Read this pretty much in one sitting this afternoon - clever, addictive tale, a crime thriller with a ghostly element - well actually a literal ghost trying to muddle her way through the afterlife and eek out some kind of revenge at the same time.

Where She Went is told entirely by Melanie, who has woken up dead, stuck by the side of the man who probably killed her and his long suffering wife. Everybody pretty much is horrible in this novel - even poor Eve, said wife, who puts up with a controlli
Janel
DNF at 38%
I began skim reading this book at 31% and felt it would be unjust to finish and review a book that I didn't not give my full attention to therefore I chose to abandon the book.

Why I didn't finish this book:

It's not often I don't finish a book but I just couldn't get into this one. From the open pages, I felt I wouldn't be able to connect with the story due to its narration style but I hoped in time I'd settle to the books structure but sadly I didn't. Narrated by Melanie, who is dead,
Mary Hart
Apr 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book, and would highly recommend it to anyone.
The story follows Melanie Black as the narrator, who waking up one morning discovers herself in bed with a strange man in a strange house. Who is he? How did she get there? More importantly why is he ignoring her? Then his wife walks in and Melanie quickly realises no-one can see her, no-one can hear her because she isn't really there, she's dead. How did she die? Did this man kill her? So many questions, as Melanie pieces toget
Aug 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Where She Went is an intriguing novel which centres much more on character development and relationships rather than focussing on a ‘mystery’ as such. It’s not exactly what I expected but I hugely enjoyed reading it, from first page to last. Told from the point of view of Melanie, we (and Melanie herself) soon realise that she’s actually dead, and viewing the life of her murder Peter and his family, as they seem to carry on with their lives. What follows is a really interesting and rather unique ...more
Louise
Apr 04, 2017 rated it liked it
This was a slow read for me. Took me a while to slog my way through and once I was up to half way I thought I may as well finish.
Well written, if a little to much blahing on by "Melly".
I thought the main character was a bit of a mean girl. In fact she was down right nasty to Eve.
Glad I finished it so I could see how things ended for Eve and Adam.
Abigail T
Nov 11, 2017 rated it liked it
I won this book via a Goodreads giveaway.
It took me a while to finish this book as it didn’t really grab my attention. I thought the plot was clever but it lacked any real suspense or thrill for me. An ok read .
Margaret Duke-Wyer
Apr 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Where She Went by B E Jones

This is a psychological thriller with a difference. Melanie Black wakes to find her somewhat crumpled self on a bed next to a man that she does not know. Things are further complicated when a woman enters the room and serves him tea without acknowledging Melanie’s presence. It slowly dawns on Melanie that neither of them can see her. Quite quickly we learn that Melanie is dead. Melanie’s memories are vague and she cannot recall the circumstances that brought her to thi
Caroline
Apr 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A woman wakes up next to a man she doesn't remember, he doesn't appear to see her and nor does his wife when she enters the room with his cup of tea. At that moment the woman realises to her horror she is dead! Such an awesome book! It is one of the best I have read in a long time!
Sue Wallace
Jul 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Where she went by B.E. Jones.

But has she woken up next to her murderer? And where is her body? Why is she an invisible and uninvited guest in a house she can't leave
Nicki Kendall
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Omg an amazing book. Couldn't stop thinking about it even when I wasn't reading it. Great plot and suspense
Graham McGhie
Jun 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
BRILLIANTLY AND ORIGINALLY PLOTTED, SURE TO BE ONE OF 2017's BEST MURDER MYSTERIES.
Set in South Wales, B E Jones' "Where She Went" is a spectacular example of originality. It grips from the very start. The novel is dictated through the eyes of the victim: Mel Black.
Mel, a TV Reporter and journalist "awakens" to find herself a spectre in the family home of Peter, Deputy Chief Accountant for Swansea Council, and the perpetrator of her murder. However, the precise order of the events which occurred
Elaine
Apr 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing

I really enjoyed this book and read it very quickly as I found it an easy and compelling read. At first, it reminded me a bit of The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold in
Kim
Aug 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Setting: Wales, UK; present day. TV journalist Melanie Black wakes up to find herself in bed next to a man she doesn't recognise. But when his wife enters the room with a tea tray and both the man and his wife ignore her, she realises that they can't actually see or hear her - because she is dead. Melanie must then try to remember what has happened to her, why she is in this house and what she can do to move on....
This was a great concept, well-executed and entertaining with well-drawn, although
Lisbeth Davies
Jun 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wales
An excellent idea, brilliantly executed.

Not only do you have to suspend disbelief to read a novel written by someone who's been murdered, most of the characters, including the dead narrator, are unlikeable/downright evil and yet it works on so many levels and had me up really late to at night to finish.

A cracking good read and I'm already looking forward to B.E. Jones' next novel.

p.s. Bonus points for being set in South Wales by someone who really knows the area.

[Review copy received from the p
☽ lana ☾
If you enjoy unlikeable main characters this one is for you. I normally enjoy them but this one was a special brand of 'I'm-not-like-other-girls' hater. If I didn't know better I would assume this book was written by a man with the way it portrays women.

I glazed over a few paragraphs. It seemed a bit too drawn out and long. I didn't mind the writing style overall.
Latkins
Jun 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
This provides a fresh take on the psychological thriller, in that the narrator, TV journalist Melanie Black is a 'g-word', haunting the house of Peter and Eve and their young son Adam. Melanie isn't sure why she's there, but observes the controlling and abusive Peter and meek and mild Eve, and sees her old colleagues on TV report her disappearance. There are a few unexpected twists and turns as Melanie seeks to bring Peter down. I really liked Melanie's voice and anger, and the plot was intrigui ...more
Nicky Maunder
This book had me conflicted - it’s good, very riveting and a rather unusual premise. However the main character is not likeable. Despite that, the author managed to keep my interest piqued and I’m glad I stuck with it. (If the main character was more likeable the book would’ve had another star).
Eloise
Aug 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Be prepared this book has the most incredible storyline…
Parts paranormal, parts mystery and parts thriller, Where She Went follows the ghost of TV journalist Melanie Black as she tries to discover who killed her? Why? And how to bring them to justice?
The book features a great cast of characters, some incredibly likable and some I straight up detested. But with such good variety there is always something for everyone.
I absolutely loved this book and finished it in a day, I am positive it will be
Lynette
Jun 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first 4 chapters of this book were very hard to follow but it is written very well and turns into a bit of a mystery.
Rhian
Sep 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaway-wins
I won this book through goodreads giveaways and I really enjoyed it, so much that I read over half in one sitting last night, it's a bit of a whodunit murder mystery and even though I guessed whodunit it was a really good read, I'll definitely be recommending this one and looking forward to more from the author, thank you goodreads for introducing me to someone new
Elizabeth King
Apr 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Whilst I thought it was a great premise for a story, it took me four attempts to get past the first few chapters. Then somehow it got gripping as new facets of peoples' characters came to light and I wanted to see how the story ended.
Karen Cole
May 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
I loved the description for Where She Went - there are plenty of books where a victim's last days need to be pieced together before justice can be realised but it's rare to have the victim doing the work. They are dead after all... When Melanie wakes up in a strange bed, next to a strange man she doesn't understand the awful truth at first. It's only when she realises that nobody can see her that she begins to recall the events that would eventually lead to her death.
Where She Went is written in
Kelly Smale
Mar 11, 2017 rated it liked it
This is a debut novel written from Melanie Black's point of view. It starts with Melanie waking up in a bed next to man which is being brought breakfast by his wife Eve. Melanie wonders why Eve isn't bothered about her laying next to her husband Peter. Is this some sort I'd sordid love affair? No, Melanie is in face dead.

Melanie was a tv new reporter, who I couldn't relate to and I found her very self-centred, dark and egotistical.
Peter Albright is a very handsome man working in accounts for
MetLineReader
Jul 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs, 2017
Interesting premise but just didn't excite me at all. I almost gave up but didn't and whilst it wasn't terrible it just didn't float my boat. None of the lead characters are particularly attractive and the why behind the disappearance of Melanie is not fully delivered until the end by which point it seemed irrelevant. Think this could have been a lot darker and more challenging which would have made it a more exciting and psychological book.

Sadly didn't work for me. A very generous 3* due to som
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Other Woman
  • Don't Make a Sound (DS Nathan Cody #3)
  • I Did It for Us
  • If You Knew Her
  • Where the Missing Go
  • The Doll House
  • The Party
I'm a former journalist who worked for The Western Mail newspaper and BBC Wales Today in Cardiff before becoming a press officer for the police.

My latest novel 'Wilderness', is published by LittleBrown (Hachette), available now in ebook and out in paperback later in the year.

You might already have seen me on Goodreads as I'm a voracious reader, rater and reviewer. I also have three other publishe