Start by marking “Nine Pines” as Want to Read:
Nine Pines

Nine Pines

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  37 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
“As machines become more and more efficient and perfect, so it will become clear that imperfection is the greatness of man”
-Ernst Fischer

They didn’t have to die. Their fate was avoidable. They climbed into their coffins like moths to a porch-light. But long ago there were different options.

I‘m a scrappy little town. I have my secrets—dark and cold. Before we get into it I
Published September 2016 by Parts and Labor Press - Michigan

To ask other readers questions about Nine Pines, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nine Pines

Chaitra
Aug 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
For someone who loves thrillers only!!. The book revolves around 9 individuals and the devils in dem (some victims). Most read best short stories I've read or come across in thriller to-date!.
Elizabeth Bonaiuto
Mar 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-books
Lynda Dietz
Apr 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is the first I've read of Birch's work, and I liked it quite a bit. The residents of Nine Pines certainly have their share of secrets, and the author presents each one of them in such a matter-of-fact manner that their sheer normalcy contrasts in an almost sociopathic way with the heinous acts they commit.

The writing is nicely done, with a lot of intertwining of stories as we learn more about the town and its history. There were a few editing misses that pulled me out of the stories . . .
Amanda Hernandez
Nov 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this! It is nine short stories about residents in nine pines, a cursed place. It has just enough spooky and just enough reality! Loved it! There's great horror and story line. I don't want to ruin anything, but I had my favorite characters, probably the waitress the most and I'd love to read more about them! If you enjoy Stephen king and creepy short stories I recommend this read!
Sarah Bowe
This small town full of people that have serious issues! Really quick read, each of the 9 chapters are dedicated to a different person. It was interesting to read, what is wrong with that town and those people? Makes me think of that saying "there must be something in the water"
Sara
Oct 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars to be fair
I am always the worst when it comes to reading an e-book. so this is a very late review.
**I got this book from the author to give my honest review in return. this review is by no means biased, and every word is honest and true**
this book consists of 9 individual stories (well somewhat individual) about different people in the same small (somewhat country) corrupted old town.
let me say one thing, I remember starting off stories and thinking, this is written beautifully and I w
Richa
Jul 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a short read but I finished it fairly quick because I didn't want to put the book down. It was that good! The book consist of 9 short stories. All the stories are about citizens of a small town, Nine Pines. The stories might be short but each one of them has plenty of detail. The waitress story is one that definitely sticks and it's hard to forget.
When the characters seem to be connected to each other is when you're really interested. I won't give to much of that away. I will say, some
Mcf1nder_sk
Jan 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
I just finished off my second book of 2018. Nine Pines was sent to me by @august.birch.writer as a pdf a little while ago, and I finally made time to get it read.
Birch is writing a series of books starring Jack Pruitt, a small-town sheriff in Nine Pines, Michigan. This novel is actually an introduction to the community, in the form of several interconnected short stories focusing on a different Nine Pines resident in each one. Based on the people who live within its city limits, Nine Pines is
Michelle W
Aug 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
From the prologue I knew I would enjoy this collection. The prologue is written from the town point of view which I’ve never seen before, but it worked perfectly for the stories. The stories give glimpses at some of the people who live in Nine Pines, Michigan. Even though the stories are short they are perfectly crafted to introduce the characters and give their backstory all while following a current event in their lives. Birch did a really awesome job of showing us these characters, who will a ...more
Jessie (thatchickwithabook)
Jun 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
I got definite Stephen King It vibes from these short stories. There's ten chapters in all, the first opening the stories with a message from the town of Nine Pines. The following nine chapters follow a different member of the town (you can see where the It vibes are coming from now). It was a really cool, quick read that was mainly a thriller but definitely had elements of horror in there. My only complaint is that I wanted to know more about where these characters ended up. How they connected ...more
Niki Mackedanz
Sep 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is the first thing I've read by August Birch, and I can tell you I'll be looking in to reading more by him. This set the scene for Nine Pines perfectly and gave me just enough information where I feel I need to keep reading to find out what happens next to the town and it's people. Great read
Mallory Marsico
Feb 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Having grown up in South Haven, hearing Kalamazoo mentioned (under an hour away) was a pleasant surprise. Really enjoyed the story overall. Great characters.
Melissa
May 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading this book of short stories. I really hope that the stories of these nine characters continue.
Anna Meyer
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book of short stories. It’s a prelude to his upcoming novel. The stories are just long and descriptive enough to leave you wanting more and waiting for the novel.
PRINCESS
Jan 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
A Collection of 9!Short Thrillers.

THE SHERIFF: A twisted family of underground criminals that believed in “You pay on time or you pay another way” and guess what “another way” is!! as the author describes them in short: dead-end of humanity on a dead-end road. A call was received by Sheriff reported that there was a victim left to burn alive and dead while the crowed were cheering….

THE WAITRESS: November 8; her ritual date. Never a year without a body. Martha was a woman of ritual. She had a lis
Joel
Savannah
Aug 28, 2017
Bookbureader
Apr 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
A collection of short stories but really a tale of a suffering town.

This novella, or collection, starts off with the history of the town itself and why the residents are essentially, unbeknownst to them, cursed.

Then we move on to The Sheriff. A character that reminded me very much of a Rick Grimes from The Walking Dead type, a down-to-earth dedicated man who's purpose is helping his people above all else. He's willing to put his life on the line and even bend the rules if it serves the greater
The Marshall’s Office
Bookish_chrissie
Oct 30, 2018
Ma. Rossy
Apr 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
When you are a bookaholic and read free book…you only say yes please!
Even though Mr. Birch do not requested a review for his book, here's mine:

These are nine short stories about people who lives in a little cursed town called Nine Pines; the introduction of the town and its people is interesting because it is described by the town itself. With only the description, you would not like to live in that place.

These stories are so intriguing that they leave you wanting more!...you want to know more a
August Birch lives in Southwest Michigan with his wife and son. He weaves dark humor, unexpected plot twists, and a rural, blue-collar work ethic throughout his writing. August creates page-flipping thrillers, built to make you late for work and keep you well-past bedtime.

August started his writing career publishing a dozen non-fiction books under a pseudonym, but made his commitment to fiction at