Start by marking “Tsunami” as Want to Read:
Tsunami

Tsunami

December 26, 2004.

It's just another day in paradise. Mitch and Amber couldn't be happier. They are newlyweds, expecting their first child and honeymooning in Thailand.

As they enjoy their romantic getaway on the peaceful island, plans are made for their future together.

But on the morning of Boxing Day, December 26, 2004, tragedy strikes. The remote and peaceful island
Published January 30th 2017

To ask other readers questions about Tsunami, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tsunami

Start your review of Tsunami
sue
Mar 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a very short story that is only 43 pages, but, don't be mistaken as there is a lot in this that pulls a punch.

Amber and her husband are enjoying a well enough break over the Christmas holidays in Thailand. Amber is 6 months pregnant. Spending time together before their child is born and the commitments to child rearing start.

But things turn in such a way that their life will never be the same again.

This story is taken from inspired by the devastating Boxing Day Tsunami of 2004 which
Annie
Mar 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
A short story I was able to read in one sitting and would like to rate 4.5 stars. A harrowing, heartbreaking and gripping story that was inspired by the devastating Boxing Day Tsunami of 2004 where more than 225 000 lives were lost across 14 countries from both earthquake and tsunami. The effects of this were seen as far as Antartica and North America and by February 2015, official search rescue efforts ceased, marking this as one of the deadliest disasters in recorded history. This story is set ...more
Jojo Reeves
Jan 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Mitch and his new, pregnant wife, Amber are on their dream honeymoon in Patong, Thailand over Xmas holiday.
On boxing day at breakfast everything starts to shake as the tremors of an earthquake hit. It leaves Amber shaken so she decides to rest in their room while Mitch goes for a swim in the sea. That's when the tsunami hits! Amber is screaming for Mitch and scanning the beach from her balcony, when the water starts coming in her room. As. She is calling for help the shock triggers her labour,
Gemma Downing
Jan 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One word for this short story – WOW.

It follows Amber who is 6 months pregnant and is enjoying the sun and sea of Thailand along with her husband Mitch. They are on their dream honeymoon and soaking up every bit of time together before parenthood. Little do they know of the events that are about to unfold on Boxing Day and change the course of their lives forever.

At only 43 pages long, this story packs a huge punch with powerful emotions surging through it. It manages to capture the feelings of
Vonia
Jan 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I found the story griping the protagonist go to have their honey moon in a place of dreams beaches and atmospheric delight they share their love meet other tourist and enjoy themselves the first few days. sudenly... well the event from that point are part of history and the writer brings you along your emotions your angst will they survive will the baby what will happen the story is short but gripping. enjoy one click worthy for sure I promise and mr J o Mantel your Rocked!<3
HEChapter -Tina J
ALMOST-FOUR-STAR REVIEW

> > Judging a Book by it's Cover < <
A black wave, bold title, faint author font. Nothing eye-catching. The title caught my eye and although it sounds like a mix of a couple movies I'd seen, also Based on True Events, I was still drawn to it.

> > Looking Deeper < <

POV ~> Third-person

The lead couple are Australian, honeymooning in Thailand over Christmas. Amber is 6 months pregnant. There is a secondary couple (Chloe and Dan), also from
Amalie Pearce
Jan 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Tsunami was an interesting read for me. I’m usually not one to read a short story but was intrigued by the topic as I remember the media around this tragedy.

This was a great read and I found myself finishing it before I realised where the time had gone. The writing flowed really well and you are sucked into the story along with the characters.

What I liked:
You really feel like this could be you and I found my emotions around this added to the story.

What I would have liked more of:
It was great
Jennifer Pierson
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Mitch and Amber are newlyweds honeymooning in Thailand. They are very happy, and six months along with a child, until tragedy strikes, as one of the world's largest earthquakes happens, which in turn, triggers a deadly Tsunami. Since this is a super quick read, that's all I'm giving because otherwise spoilers would come out. Although it's super short, it packs a huge punch in that time, and my nerves were on edge. J.O. Mantel's talented writing style had me in tears more than once. And although ...more
Jessica
Dec 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow this story is gripping and takes you on an emotional roller-coaster. This is a very short story about 40 pages but don't let that stop you from reading it. It packs a punch and may have you in tears. This has real life moments that happened with the fiction of a story intertwined. I don't want to put to much in my review because I don't want to put anything that could be a spoiler. This story takes us on a honeymoon of Mitch and Amber.
Marnie
Nov 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Short, punchy and heartfelt.

This heartfelt short novella of a young couple with every promise and every dream of a promising future in front of them could be anyone’s story, at any time. You just don’t know when it’s your time.

J. O Mantel put together a beautifully tragic story based on the actual events, where 225, 000 people across 14 countries lost their lives in what is known to be one of the deadliest natural disasters in recorded history. 4 Stars.
Ashley
Mar 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I received an arc of this book and voluntarily writing a review.

As a disclaimer this book is short, very very short. But This is an amazing short story! This story is inspired from the 2004 tsunami, which led to so much destruction and lives lost. This is not a happy love story. This is a necessary and beautiful story. I highly recommend reading it. And even if it turns out not to be your cup of tea, it's only about 50 pages.

I am so glad to have gotten the opportunity to have read this story
Stacey Broadbent
Jan 06, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 stars for this short and sweet novella!

Based on the tragic Boxing Day tsunami in Thailand, this short story tells the tale of Amber and Mitch - a couple on their honeymoon. These two are expecting their first baby, and Amber finds herself quite uncomfortable at times - perhaps her body's way of warning her what's about to happen.
We get to see things from her POV at the time of impact, which I think was nicely done. I would have liked to see a little more detail about the event as it was
Laura Watson
Jan 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
I received a free copy in exchange for an honest 8. I liked the story and the character. I did find that the story dragged a bit in the beginning but overall it was a good book. If you have a bit of free time and are looking for a really quick read them this could be what you are looking for.

Helen Simpson
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
WOW THIS BOOK WAS NOT WHAT I EXPECTED. MADE ME THINK HOW THOSE PEOPLE FELT THROUGH THAT TERRIBLE TIME. WROTE FROM A PREGNANT WOMAN'S POINT OF VIEW, I FELT FOR HER. WOULD OF WISHED THIS BOOK WAS LONGER TO DELVE MORE INTO THE STORY.
Ria -  Reading Is Our Satisfaction
Life emerges from the darkness of a tragedy

December 26th 2004, a date that will be forever remembered in the minds of many. A date when 250,000 plus people perished and many more had their lives changed forever. The date an earthquake caused a tsunami to hit the coastlines of many Asian countries and cause a tragedy beyond all belief.

J.O Mantel's Tsunami touches on the fictional story of an Australian couple caught up in this phenomenal disaster. Amber and Mitch are newlyweds and are enjoying
Cate
Jan 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful time for Amber and Mitch who are enjoying their honeymoon when disaster happens on the island where they are staying. The book encompasses the events of the Boxing Day tsunami and brings to you a small glimpse into what these people went through. I found that the author has written the storyline with a deep understanding of the emotions Amber and Mitch were going through so much that you were able to relate to the characters and the storyline of what happens when dealing with ...more
Jennifer Richey
Jan 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow!!

Amber & Mitch go on their honeymoon and a natural disaster happen! And even worse she goes into labor! She has a baby girl and goes home without the love of her life. But he finds her. I definally cried. Very sweet sweet story
Susan
Jan 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
An event that makes world wide news told with a personal twist. Whats meant to be a celebration of a couples love and commitment turns into a race for survival in conditions that are less than ideal. A well told story with all the feels.
Kimberly O'connell
Jan 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I received this book to post an honest review and I have to say I absolutely enjoyed it. The author made you feel like you were really experiencing the tsunami as you read it through his characters eyes. The only thing I wish I had was more because it was too short.
Sheridan
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What an amazing short story! This would of been an epic book if it was longer but it was still a great read!
Angela DeMarco
Stephanie
Feb 02, 2017
Rae Sontheyon
Mar 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
Short Story Based On Tragic World Disaster . . .

Short reads are always hard to review fairly, because they don't have the benefit of page length to truly engage the reader. With that being said, this story didn't hit it's main point till halfway through and then ended on a quick note.

My main issue is that the main couple's sex life is in more detail than the actual natural disaster. Don't get me wrong I'm okay with a couple being on their honeymoon/babymoon. However, when the story is supposed
Roy McNiven
Jul 23, 2017
Carol
Jul 13, 2017

• Her Last Breath
  • Lost Innocence
  • Mr. January (Calendar Boys #1)
  • Miss Not Together
  • Family Secrets
  • Mister Uno: A Short Story Series (Mister, Mister Series #1)
  • Mr. March (Calendar Boys #3)
  • Mr. February (Calendar Boys #2)
  • Death and Destruction on the Thames in London (Death and Destruction Series)