Start by marking “Angelo Badalamenti's Soundtrack from Twin Peaks (33 1/3)” as Want to Read:
Angelo Badalamenti's Soundtrack from Twin Peaks (33 1/3)

Angelo Badalamenti's Soundtrack from Twin Peaks

(33⅓ #120)

When Twin Peaks debuted on the ABC network on the night of April 8, 1990, thirty-five million viewers tuned in to some of the most unusual television of their lives. Centered on an eccentric, coffee-loving FBI agent's investigation into the murder of a small town teen queen, Twin Peaks brought the aesthetic of arthouse cinema to a prime time television audience and became ...more
Published February 9th 2017 by Bloomsbury Academic

To ask other readers questions about Angelo Badalamenti's Soundtrack from Twin Peaks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Angelo Badalamenti's Soundtrack from Twin Peaks

Start your review of Angelo Badalamenti's Soundtrack from Twin Peaks (33 1/3)
Kasa Cotugno
Angelo Badalamenti has continued to work until the present day, but it was his collaborations with David Lynch, beginning with Blue Velvet, that film music fans most closely identify him with. The 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, provides in depth analyses of mostly iconic as well as lesser known albums, but so far, this is the sole soundtrack. Clare Norelli's knowledge of music and her reverence for this genre is apparent on every page. And thanks to today's technology, it is possible ...more
Heather *Undercover Goth Queen*
I requested this book because I'm a big fan of the TV show Twin Peaks. When I was a teenager obsessively buying soundtracks in order to find new bands, I bought the soundtracks for the show and Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me. I was fascinated by the music and the imagery, and I still own both CDs today.

The author tried to write this book in a way that would be accessible even to people who aren't at all educated about music. Which would be me. Although I love music, I can't tell you the different
Luke
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Obviously this is going to be a five-star review. From me? Given my love of Twin Peaks this can hardly be a surprise for anyone.

Though I'm inclined to go soft on anything vaguely Lynch-adjacent, there's no need with Norelli's excellent entry in the 33 1/3 series of works: it's a solid entry, which offers thematic, technical and widescreen views of the sonic doings in that small town in the Pacific Northwest, where there's always music in the air.

Norelli's text is a little bit of a cheat,
Robert
Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How could anyone mess this book up?

Unfortunately I am probably one of the few people who has never seen Twin Peaks but I do know the soundtrack and Norelli does a fantastic job of explaining the backgrounds of Lynch and Badalamenti's backgrounds, the composing of the soundtrack and the influences behind the compositions.

The book also goes behind the non orchestral music and the impact of the soundtrack plus a small update on the Fire Walk with me series.

Without a doubt this volume is a highlight
Jim Leckband
Aug 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very quick explanation of how Badalamenti's music was a vital part of the Twin Peaks phenomenon. Specific musical examples of how Angelo B. created the atmosphere and the correlation to the characters and situations are written out in staff and instrumentation choices described. It left me feeling that much more in awe of Lynch in how he could create this soundscape by closely working with the composer.
Tatiana Torres
much like the twin peaks revival this was more art than i was expecting
Hernán M. Sanabria
"Badalamenti's soundtrack features cool jazz, classical, soap-opera melodrama, retro teen balladry, and everything in between. It was a postmodern melting pot of musical genres and an unusually sophisticated outing for a television soundtrack. This synthesis of styles added to the anachronistic feel of Twin Peaks; we are never quite sure when the show takes place, and the world which its characters inhabit is splintered between the mundane and the mythical. Badalamenti's ubiquitous soundtrack ...more
Carol
Dec 04, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: music
This volume in the 33 1/3 series covers the haunting soundtrack to one of my favorite TV shows, Twin Peaks. Norelli gives a nice overview of Badalamenti's life and career and a lot of interesting detail about how he and Lynch collaborated on the music for the show. The other half of the book is a brief informative look at the music itself, how it is used in the TV show, and the ways in which it sets the mood and tone for scenes and characters. Being a big fan of the show, I really enjoyed this ...more
Yana
Aug 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Now, it is better I come forward and admit I know nothing about music theory. I can read notes, and I have played the piano… but when it comes to harmony and theoretical knowledge I am the equivalent of a fish on land.
I requested this book because I'm a big fan of the TV show Twin Peaks. I expected it to be less theoretical than it is and more… enjoyable. It is a great read, if only I knew more on the subject so I can fully appreciate it.
Any Twin Peaks fan will love this book. It sets the
Kevin Krein
Apr 03, 2019 rated it liked it
this is the first 33 1/3 book i've ever read, and it was given to me as a gift by a friend who was surprised that i hadn't read it yet. for those who understand music theory and composition, a lot of the talk of keys and chords and progressions will make more sense. a little clumsy in its writing sometimes, it is a pretty well researched and thought-out reflection on the importance of the music to the show and to pop culture itself.
Anna
Jun 07, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The makings of - expect the musically technical, but not the imaginary. While other 33 1/3 books inject their own vision of romance or dreamscape, fictionalizing or dramatizing great works of music, this text is a well-written intellectual homage that attempts to indulge in only half the rustic, dark, and dreamy vibrations of a most beloved film and TV soundtrack... However, consider it a bite-sized and cerebral revisit. The tracks don't disappoint; neither can this book as an aural officiando.
Eleanore
Aug 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice, thorough breakdown of the various cues and styles Badalamenti employs to help create the world of Twin Peaks, as well as his longtime collaboration with Lynch. The appendix is a nice treat for weirdos like me who can often recall which exact scenes go with which musical cues after watching something once or twice.
Seth D Michaels
If you are a Twin Peaks person and a music person, this is a treat, and it's a standout of the many books I've read in this series. Lots of intro-to-intermediate music theory interwoven with details about the creation and production of Twin Peaks. If you don't care about Twin Peaks, on the other hand, this will be of zero interest.
William Remmers
May 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Devolves after a while into a list of all of the variants on the Season 1 cues and when/how they appear and assumes no knowledge of music theory (so my own strengths work against my patience), but it comes off as a loving tribute to Badalamenti's career. I'd almost rather a full-fledged biography of the man, which this definitely has the beginnings of.
Brad
Aug 11, 2017 marked it as dnf-partial-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: music
This book may be better for music theory folks, but was too in the weeds for me. It also was far more interested in detailing which tunes underscore which scenes, something any viewer can easily hear for themselves without explanation. Ultimately, the book did not hold my interest.
Ryan Bradford
Jan 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first 33 1/3 book, and I don't think I really knew what to expect, but I really enjoyed this. It gets a little technical in parts, but the author's love and admiration for Badalamenti is infectious. I went back and started watching S3 of Twin Peaks again after reading this.
Rich
Mar 03, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2018
I want to keep owning this book, but I don't want to keep reading this book. It was impressive the way the author squeezed 100 or so pages out about this soundtrack while simultaneously removing all the joy and whimsy.
Kirsty
Apr 20, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, music
Some of it was a little technical for me, but it made me see how collaborative film and TV is, as well as really appreciate the importance of finding someone whose work interacts well with your own.
Brian
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: media
Fun read, but a lot was over my head....not knowing chords and theory.
Todd Glaeser
I wish I enjoyed this more than I did. Much more "technically" musical than the other 33 1/3 books I've read.
Scott
Mar 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Any Twin Peaks fan will love this book. It sets the history as well as gives you great insights. I was super impressed.
Daniel Wilson
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was ok
as a die hard twin peaks fan...……...this was a struggle
Vanessa
Like a lot of people of a certain age, Twin Peaks was MY JAM; I snatched, and continue to snatch, up all the additional bits and bobs that trickle our way (Laura's diary, Fire Walk With Me, The Secret History of Twin Peaks). Side bar - can you even imagine how much extra Twin Peaks stuff will be attached to the new show? Twitter accounts? Intagrams? Please, please let us get an interactive website. Anyhoo, this isn't really a "book" book, I think we would be better served if this was an online ...more
Rob Christopher
Feb 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Astute, but a bit on the dry side.
Viola V
Feb 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Twin Peaks fans, Lynch obsessives, Badalamenti worshippers, film music nerds,
An evocative exploration of Angelo Badalamenti's Soundtrack from Twin Peaks that reaches a level of investigative detail into the music of Lynch and Frost's small screen masterpiece that Albert Rosenfield would admire.

I challenge any reader to not hear each note of each piece of music in Norelli's descriptions in their mind's ear - I was clicking along like Cooper after his dream of the Red Room whilst reading - and the connections she makes between sound, vision and potential meaning are
Eileen Hall
Feb 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When Twin Peaks first landed on UK TV I was hooked from the start, partly through the theme which, even now, sends a shiver down my spine!
Don't like Cherry Pie though!!
I was given a digital copy of this book by the publisher Bloomsbury Academic via Netgalley in return for an honest unbiased review.
Theediscerning
Feb 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A book that really, REALLY shouldn't be a book, for it cries out to be a youtube channel, audiovisual lecture, whatever – anything but a book. Still, it's a damn fine one, surveying the musicality of a certain Bad Angel's work on the seminal TV series. It does bog itself down to be too much about the programme's music and the effect of it on the series (which makes the mind boggle as to what every other book in this large series manages to fill itself with) but it probably conveys everything you ...more
Steven
Apr 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thorough track by track analysis of the original Soundtrack to Season One of Twin Peaks. I like that she doesn't shy away from the music theory and notation. I'm not able to sight read, but I bet people who can, enjoy that VIP treatment.

Anecdotal background stories from the band that recorded the songs was a highlight. No one can seem to agree on where that tremelo sound on the Theme from Twin Peaks originated from. It is the iconic very first sound you hear on the opening credits. I like the
Alex Sarll
This may seem a ridiculous complaint over an entry in a series about albums, but there's a bit too much music here for me. Proper, formal music, I mean - all Cs and As and sharps and that. Which I've never been able to get my head around, and this time was no different. Yet there's also stuff like the emotional impact of suspension, disturbing tritones, and major sounding happier than minor, which even I know, so must really bore the people who actually grasp this material. That aside, though, I ...more
Todd
Very well written. I appreciated all the chord and theory details. Thank you to the author for putting this together.

Concerns:
- So well written that "wide variety" definitely could have used variation
- So well written that "comprised of," the nonsensical phrase, is inexcusable
- Was hoping for more writing on many other characters, scenes, and music; e.g., not much on Josie, Norma, and nothing on Log Lady that I recall

• The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer
  • Catching the Big Fish: Meditation, Consciousness, and Creativity
  • The Secret History of Twin Peaks
  • Twin Peaks: The Final Dossier
  • Room to Dream
  • Go Ahead in the Rain: Notes to a Tribe Called Quest
  • This Searing Light, the Sun and Everything Else: Joy Division: The Oral History
  • Radio Free Vermont: A Fable of Resistance
  • Lowriders in Space (Lowriders in Space, #1)
  • Lowriders to the Center of the Earth (Lowriders in Space, #2)
  • Bad Gateway
  • Navidad & Matanza
  • Reggae Bloodlines: In Search Of The Music And Culture Of Jamaica
  • Bitter Harvest
  • Mr. Know-It-All: The Tarnished Wisdom of a Filth Elder
  • The Master Switch: The Rise and Fall of Information Empires
  • Ways of Hearing
  • Stillhet i støyens tid. Gleden ved å stenge verden ute
Clare Nina Norelli is an Australian writer, composer, and musician based in Melbourne who holds degrees in composition and musicology from the Western Australian Academy of Performing Arts (WAAPA). She has composed music for ensembles and film, and her writing has appeared in publications such as Sound Scripts and SCAN: Journal of Media and Arts Culture. In 2017 her first book - Angelo ...more

33⅓ (1 - 10 of 139 books)
  • Dusty in Memphis