Start by marking “One Fell Down” as Want to Read:
One Fell Down

One Fell Down

When Mikaela York opens an anonymous blue sympathy card with the nursery rhyme “Jack and Jill” written inside, she doesn’t know what to make of it. But soon after, Mikaela and her fiancé are in a tragic car accident, resulting in her husband-to-be’s death. Then when Mikaela’s grandmother loses her life in a hiking accident one year later, an old man gives Mikaela another m ...more
Published February 1st 2017 by Covenant Communications

To ask other readers questions about One Fell Down, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Fell Down

Katie W
Feb 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery-suspense
(4.5 Stars) First of all, I love the cover! I love it when a cover really portrays what the story is about and this one is perfect for a suspenseful murder mystery mostly set in New Zealand.

After Mikaela's fiancé and grandmother die, her grandfather sends her to New Zealand to manage the renovations on his Bed & Breakfast. While there, she discovers Maori superstitions, death, danger, and love.

I would be a mess in Mikaela's situation, and while she handles it fairly well, she's not emotiona
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
First of all, what do you think of the cover for this book? It's so bold and really stands out, doesn't it? It's so unlike any other covers I've seen. I like it.

This book has a younger feel to it. It's more like a YA book than an adult book but the cast is a good mixture of ages and personalities. I loved the New Zealand setting and the Lord of the Rings references. I really hope I'm able to visit that country some day. But, I surely don't want it to go like Mikaela's visit!

This book was a slowe
Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa)
Feb 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
***4.5 stars***

For a book that is only 255 pages in length, it really pops a punch and grabs the readers attention. The book is full of suspense almost from page one.

The book opens as Mikaela and her fiancee are leaving school to visit her grandparents. Unfortunately, there was a terrible "accident" and Trevor was killed, leaving Mikaela alive an hurting. The book then fast forwards to a year later, this time it is Mikaela's grandmother who had a hiking "accident" and passes away. Mikaela and h
Mindy
Feb 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
I loved the idea of a book set in New Zealand. My dad served a mission there, so I was excited to read One Fell Down, and then adding one of my favorite set of movies, Lord of the Rings, was a great bonus. I enjoyed this book a lot. At times, though, I felt it was a bit slow for a suspense novel. The convention scenes were fun, and later I saw how they fit in the story, but I felt they were a bit longer than they needed to be. I was also confused by the relationship of Brentin and Amiria, and fe ...more
Tressa (Wishful Endings)
Mar 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars

ONE FELL DOWN was a lighter romantic suspense with an intriguing story and likable characters. New Zealand's epic scenery and one of its native cultures was woven here and there in the story. Would recommend to those who enjoy cozy mysteries or other books in the genre.

The story started right off with a tragic accident that immediately made me emphasize with the heroine. It then slowly developed through the main characters and tidbits here and there from the villain. I really liked Mika
Shauna
Feb 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
LOVED THIS ONE!
Loved the setting in New Zealand! And wait until you learn of the mysterious notes. And then there is the doll-- and a Tolkien conference-- such great writing! What a GREAT READ!
Don't miss out on this one!
Bonnie
Feb 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
There are many books that I end up skimming through a lot of the story. This was not one of them. I found that I was reading every word. The story enthralled me and I truly couldn't put it down. The mystery to solve was well done and had me guessing as to who the murderer was, and most of the time I didn't have it correct. I loved being in New Zealand with a different culture that I wasn't familiar with. The characters were well developed and easy to relate with for the most part. It was a fanta ...more
Sonja
Nov 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable. I listened to the audio book, but I think I would have enjoyed reading it better.
Becki
Feb 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Ronda Hinrichsen has a gift for blending suspense with romance, intrigue, and exotic locations. 'One Fell Down' is a perfect example of this. The story starts right off with two seemingly unrelated accidental deaths that are the catalyst for Mikaela York to go to New Zealand to take care of some renovations at an inn her grandparents own. The suspense continues to build with a mysterious doll, a skeleton found on the property, and one of the guests suddenly passing away under suspicious circumst ...more
Lori
Jun 06, 2017 rated it liked it
The book grab my attention...who was Jill?and who wanted her dead?
LAWonder10
May 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
From the first page to the end, the reader's attention is captivated, wondering - "Who did it?"
The suspense steadily increases as Mikaela's wedding day is almost to arrive,... almost never arrives because of a dreadful tragedy. This story briefly covers the duration of a few year in Mikaela's life, losses, and adventures.
Although there are moments of brief romance, this tales is filled with mystery, adventure, healing, and suspense. The male population should even enjoy it. The writing style smo
Carolyn Frank
Feb 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Before the brakes on Mikaela’s car fail and her fiancé dies when the car crashes, Mikaela receives a sympathy card in a blue envelope—the verse in the card includes a nursery rhyme. Then her grandmother dies in a hiking accident and her grandfather receives a similar sympathy card in a blue envelope. Two deaths so close together of people dear to her, puts Mikaela into a funk. Her grandfather sends her to New Zealand to help him remodel an inn he owns down there in an attempt to bring her out of ...more
Louise Pledge
Oct 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is the kind of mystery I like, where you gradually find new clues and figure out who the killer is, rather than the scary, edge-of-your seat books with violent crime scenes. Whatever happened to those great old stories like Perry Mason and Elizabeth Linington? Even though I did know fairly early on who was guilty and why, there were still plenty of surprises to maintain my interest! Ronda Hinrichsen writes clean stories with no sex or language, that you can feel comfortable sharing with fri ...more
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: suspense, romance
I didn't enjoy this book as much as I had hoped. I felt like I was watching a movie--there wasn't a mystery for me to solve, the love interest was lukewarm & there was no explanation as to why there were murders until the last few chapters. (even then the motive was just meh.)
I did like that the characters were engrossed in a Tolkien festival. It was the most entertaining part of the book for me.
Lydia
Oct 12, 2017 rated it liked it
I'm mixed in my review. I really didn't like the romance or the characters. The romance was stilted and contrived and the characters lacked depth. On the other hand, the mystery meshed with a Tolkien conference was brilliant. I completely enjoyed "attending" the conference, and watching a cultural mystery unfold.
Kelsie
Sep 03, 2018 rated it liked it
When I first read the back of this book, I was really excited to read it. It took a while for me to get into this book. I won't lie, it was a hard read for me. I normally love these kinds of books but this was just a little hard. The ending was definitely unpredictable but I liked the ending most of all.
Julie
Jul 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book made me want to go to New Zealand even more! I listened to it on audio book, and the narrator, Aubrey Warner, did such a good job with the New Zealand accents. It was a great story with plenty of action, romance, and Lord of the Rings. Fun book!
Stacy
Feb 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lds-fiction
Listened to this on CD. I don't think I have read anything by this author before. Parts of it were a bit predictable, but it did have some good plot twists. I also loved that it was set in New Zealand. I think I want to go there!
Nephi Jenks
May 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed the story, especially the references to the old mine up Perry canyon and White Rock, since those things are part of my old stomping grounds.
This is the first book I have listened to from this particular author but I hope to listen to many more.
May 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Jan
Jun 01, 2017 rated it liked it
I now have a great desire to visit New Zealand.
Erin
Oct 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Liked
Judy
Oct 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Took me so long to read because life got busy. Story was ok.
Cathy
Feb 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was one of those books that I read in one day because I didn't want to put it down until I knew just who did it and why! I loved everything about it.

I loved Mikaela, she's a young woman who has had a really hard year. Her fiance was killed right before their wedding in a car accident and her grandma's just died. Her grandfather wants her to go to New Zealand to watch over some renovations being done on the bed and breakfast he owns there. Little does she know the craziness waiting for her t
Jenny
Feb 18, 2017 rated it liked it
This book was ok.
Ronda Hinrichsen
Jan 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelley