Start by marking “The Secret Island of Edgar DeWitt” as Want to Read:
The Secret Island of Edgar DeWitt

The Secret Island of Edgar DeWitt

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  18 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Edgar Dewitt is the new kid in town. Moving from Alabama to Mount Lanier, Washington has been quite the change, and Edgar quickly realizes making new friends won't be as easy as he thought. On his first day in town, he meets one of Mount Lanier's best: the incorrigible Chris Weedy, who's as bright as a sack of socks and as mean as you can get.

One day while exploring the
Published September 5th 2017 by Amberjack Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Secret Island of Edgar DeWitt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secret Island of Edgar DeWitt

~ Althea ~ (themoonwholistens)
// I received an ARC of this book via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. //

"Smiling, they fell back to Earth"

The writing style kept me on my toes the whole time I was reading it. I love this writing style and these are the kind of writing styles that really gets the readers attention and keeps them intrigued the whole time.

I loved the idea, theme and moral of the book. The island and all the things it could mean for different people. The island could be something like a cage for some
Manon
Sep 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I was provided an ARC via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This was Edward’s story. He has just moved into a new town when he meets the school’s bully who immediately has it out for him. Thankfully, as he wanders in the woods, he stumbles into a cabin and soon finds out it has a huge hole in it. After investigating, he figures out that it actually leads to a deserted island on the other side of the world.
He then goes there repeatedly, to escape everyday life but also because he finds o
Ankita Singh
Aug 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley-books
I'm not the one to judge the book by its title-cover maybe, but not the title-but when I saw the title 'The Secret Island Of Edgar DeWitt', my first thought was that it was a children's novel, kinda like the Enid Blyton books.

How wrong was I! This book was packed with so many emotions, so much knowledge and a whole lot of adventure.

Edgar's parents were both amazing characters and my absolute favorite. Edgar was a cool character too. Another favorite character of mine was Dr. Van Rossum! He was j
Amanda
Nov 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: won-in-giveaways
This was the second time I've read this book. The first time, I had an advanced copy that I had won in a Goodreads giveaway. Although I liked the overall story, the typos and printing errors throughout the book really hurt the experience for me, and I mentioned that I hoped a large amount of editing would be done before the final copy was released. The author very graciously sent me a finished copy, and I'm thankful he did, because this final edition was a vast improvement. The ending is differe ...more
Eram Rizwan
Oct 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
This book was originally reviewed at: https://literaryteawither.wordpress.com/ For more reviews and bookish gossip, head over to the blog!

I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review from Netgalley

Ferill Gibbs debut novel reflects his perfect understanding of his audience’s mind. It is an intriguing and promising debut.

The writing style is very intriguing and captures the attention of the reader instantaneously. The plot moves in a smooth manner with the perfect pace.

Edgar
Sian Taylor
Sep 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
What a lovely, coming of age story!
Edgar Dewitt has had to relocate with his parents from Alabama to Washington, and on the very first day manages to upset local bad boy Chris Weedy. Undeterred Edgar soldiers on and becomes friends with other social misfits, illustrating the importance of having true friends; especially when you’re full of teenage angst and hormones.
Edgar discovers an old abandoned cabin in the woods behind his house, and in this a huge hole leading (literally) to the other side
Siobhan F.
Jul 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Galley provided by NetGalley in exchange for a honest review.

The story has a wonderfully promising premise. Edgar DeWitt forced to move to Washington state with his family from Alabama discovers a magical hole that goes through the center of the earth. The small island on the other end becomes his refuge and that of his new friends as they are faced to deal with the psychotic school bully. Well at least that is the first half of the book the second half takes a decidedly different turn. in the
Alyssa
Sep 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Boys, especially boys who like The Hardy Boys or similar
Shelves: dnf, children-s, adventure
[I received a free copy from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.]

DNF at 12%

I am confident that a young boy who enjoys adventures and mystery would like this book, but it wasn't for me.

It has a quick storyline, interesting characters, and good imagery, so there's nothing wrong with it, it's just not the type of middlegrade I read when I read middlegrade.
Happy reading~!
Joan Mitchell
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-have-won
A delightful book for middle school and above readers. After moving from Alabama to Washington state Edgar finds his new home unwelcoming. After discovering a hole and lying to his folks, he gets even with the school bully and saves his father and the town. I recommend this book to those who like adventure and fantasy. I received this book from Goodreads for free.
Jill
Sep 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Edgar ends up on the adventure of a lifetime and his mother is determined to make sure he gets back home. Well-rounded characters demonstrate the power of love and family through tumultuous and dangerous times.

I received this book through a Goodreads giveaway. Although encouraged, I was under no obligation to write a review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.
Suzi
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
a delightful fantasy. written so well that you suspend belief and root for Edgar all the way. Brilliant debut novel, Ferrill Gibbs.
Gaby
Mar 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was such a unique story!! I loved the creativity! The dialogue flowed great and the characters were believable and engaging. Highly recommended AND it would make a great movie!
TJ Burns
I received a copy of this book from the publisher via Netgalley and Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.
Katharine

• The Falls (P.S.)
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Broken Pieces
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love Held Captive (A Lone Star Hero's Love Story)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Girl Who Came Home
    $11.99 $1.99
  • When Jesus Wept (The Jerusalem Chronicles, #1)
  • In the Name of the Family
    $15.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth Avenue Artists Society
  • All That's Left of Me
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Celestine Prophecy (Celestine Prophecy, #1)
  • Palm Trees in the Snow
  • The Year We Left Home
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Whip
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Touching Spirit Bear (Spirit Bear, #1)
  • Written on the Body
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Journey's End (Gilded Promises)