Start by marking “What To Do When Machines Do Everything: How to Get Ahead in a World of AI, Algorithms, Bots, and Big Data” as Want to Read:

“Refreshingly thought-provoking…” – The Financial Times

The essential playbook for the future of your business

What To Do When Machines Do Everything is a guidebook to succeeding in the next generation of the digital economy. When systems running on Artificial Intelligence can drive our cars, diagnose medical patients, and manage our finances more effectively than humans i

Published January 18th 2017 by Wiley (first published 2017)

To ask other readers questions about What To Do When Machines Do Everything, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What To Do When Machines Do Everything

Ronald J.
Sep 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
There are some nuggets in here, but nothing really new, except perhaps the AHEAD business model they lay out, which is all about Internet of Things, data collection, analysis, etc. I do tend to share the author's view that both the dystopian and utopian views of AI, Robots, etc., are both wrong. I, too, am an optimist when it comes to the ingenuity, creativity, and dynamism of free people working in free markets. We will always find a way to serve one another, and the idea that there will be no ...more
Mike Scialom
May 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Artificial Intelligence is getting a bad press, and the authors of “What To Do When Machines Do Everything” want to call attention to the incredible opportunities this “new machine” offers.
Every such machine initiates a transformation – firstly a period of confusion (the one we’re in now), swiftly followed by a productivity boom. “The loom led to an abundance in clothing, the steam engine to an abundance in transoceanic travel, and the assembly line to an abundance of refrigerators finding their
Rathi
Jun 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a good primer to both camps of people - the one that thinks AI and advanced analytics are just passing fads and those that thinks that Robots will take over the world in a few years. This book takes a balanced approach towards the impending boom and explains what one must do in preparation.
Ella
May 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great really well-research hand written study on the digital revolution. Popular enough for a layman, and has some really interesting insights for technology executives as well...
William Schram
In What to Do When Machines Do Everything the book asks that all important question. The authors start by averring that we are in the midst of another economic boom that is taking time to rev up. All of the previous economic super explosions went through the same process. These three revolutions created unprecedented wealth in a select few with an eventual spread of that wealth in a more democratic manner. I honestly don’t know if I can swallow all of that hogwash, but the authors have statistic ...more
Krish Perumal
Jan 16, 2018 rated it liked it
My rating for this book would be closer to 3.5/5. Rather than a book, I would call this a well-written essay on the current state-of-the-art in technology, what to expect in future and what businesses should be doing (now). Although there is no singular novel idea, it is an amalgamation of good practical advice and/or paraphrased ideas. I found a few of these to be interesting:

The question "How do I make my business model/process better using this specific technology?" is not the right one. Inst
Andrei Scurei
May 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
The book has a bunch of good ideas but really that's about it. They could have been stated and explained in 5 pages. The authors rarely bother with factual data to back their claims (apart from a bunch of companies used as anecdotal evidence and reiterated obsessively throughout), which is shocking for a book insisting so much on the value of data. The same ideas get repeated unnecessarily throughout the book. Also, I'm annoyed by the choice of target audience of this book. This book is really o ...more
Darrell McCauley
Recommended by Jorge Viso, President of APA, "What to Do When Machines Do Everything" paints a plausible picture of how automation will change everything and argues that we are on the cusp of a revolution. Revolutions like this, from the rear view mirror, look like they occur rapidly. However, revolutions are a series of incremental steps. This is a good book for business leaders whose plans have a 50-year outlook beyond the myopic quarterly/annual reporting grind. It makes a good companion to " ...more
Michel Kant
Must read for forward thinking business leaders, entrepreneurs and innovators.

It's also great fuel for those who believe in the AI future and want pragmatic information on how to sell this future or today to those who live in the past.

The book reads easy and is very straight forward with great references and research from the cognizant team themselves.

From now on this book is my standard as what I like to expect from AI / forward thinking books.
Supinder
Dec 30, 2017 rated it liked it
A quick read that is mainly geared for business leaders looking to transform their business into one that Integrate AI. The authors suggest using their AHEAD paradigm and focusing on the 3M : materials, models and machines. Lots of references and notes, the book reads rather like a consultancy report.
Al Fernández
May 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Contenido bastante ligero para un tema con tantas aristas. Da una versión de algunas grandes empresas, pero ya parecen de hace tiempo ya que el libro es de 2015, y es un campo muy cambiante. También parece que el lector objetivo es un gerente de una pequeña o mediana empresa, con lo que algunos de los puntos de vista quedan lejos de lo que se puede aplicar en éstas.
Sana Vasli
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A really optimistic and realistic view of the future of AI/automation etc.

The authors don’t subscribe to either the utopian or distopian view to AI. The contents are concerned with the next 5-10 years and how we should be thinking about this plus practical advice on how to leverage it in small and large companies.

I really enjoyed this book.
Hichame O. frogga
Jan 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good book to understand that the terminator scenario is not going to happen in a soonish future.
It gives simple principles and "what to do on Monday" advices in order to make the most of the opportunities that AI is going to deliver in the next few years.
The only point that I think could be added is the issue of global warming taken into account with AI.
Devin
Jul 04, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Book was really high-level and while it attempted to be "strategic", the content is mostly fluffy consultant-speak and doesn't dig into the tactical "how to" of working with automation and AI technologies.
Omer Jan
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A true mind opener to the world of possibilities out there.... highly captivating and intriguing to a point to drive a reader to flow from chapter to chapter without even thinking of quitting or wanting a break.....a highly recommended read for all Innovation n tech lovers !!
Ashley
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Onwards an upwards! Some great guides and tools for how to embrace technology changes within your business. While there are many books on AI and bots, this one is a practical and thought provoking read, written in a way that you don’t need an IT degree to understand. Enjoyed this book.
Milind Tilak
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Well thought out and articulated
Nilendu Misra
Sep 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good abstract ideas. Loved the Carlito's Way mental model. Didn't know about that.
Charlie Elliott
Nov 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Interesting view on the future.
Michael
Oct 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Might be just me, and the books I've read before, but it seemed far to generalist to be of much benefit. Then again that probably makes it a good starter read on Business AI.
Jon Webber
Sep 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Lots of practical, encouraging advice. Basically the robots are already here, get going and how to start, be pragmatic
Dinh Toan Thang
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a very usefull book!

This is a very comprehensive book that covers almost basic things you need to know regarding Industrial 4.0 and guide us how can we adapt.
Michael Thulin
Oct 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hits on all current and upcoming AI related trends, offers great advice for companies and individuals to stay relevant and valuable in the marketplace.
Sreeram  Venkatasubramanian
Dec 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Kinda book that came from future to insist about upcomings!
Bob Collins
Jul 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Geared to business with actionable ideas to help prepare business, and their employees, for the digital age.
Ken Hamner
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Outstanding book. Highly recommended.
Katy
Aug 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great read if you want to get a handle on artificial intelligence and how to begin integrating into your company
Dolf
Oct 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ai
Quite a decent book on the need for digital transformation (oddly called "digitization" by the authors, which is the conversion of analogue data to digital - "digitalization" would be correct).
Anyway, it is a realistic approach for businesses to transform themselves in the digital world, which the authors base mostly on artificial intelligence. They don't seem to like blockchain, but likely that had not taken off yet when they wrote the book.
They give a few pointers to why people are not massive
Guido Meroni
Feb 17, 2018
Arunabh Deka
Jan 16, 2018

• Creativity Rules: Get Ideas Out of Your Head and into the World
  • Athena Rising: How and Why Men Should Mentor Women
  • Leading with Questions: How Leaders Find the Right Solutions by Knowing What to Ask
  • China Airborne
  • The Power of Onlyness: Make Your Wild Ideas Mighty Enough to Dent the World
  • A Million Bucks by 30: How to Overcome a Crap Job, Stingy Parents, and a Useless Degree to Become a Millionaire Before (or After) Turning Thirty
  • Brilliant, Crazy, Cocky: How the Top 1% of Entrepreneurs Profit from Global Chaos
  • From Jesus to Christianity: How Four Generations of Visionaries and Storytellers Created the New Testament and Christian Faith
  • Built for Growth: How Builder Personality Shapes Your Business, Your Team, and Your Ability to Win
  • Hello, Startup: A Programmer's Guide to Building Products, Technologies, and Teams
  • How Did That Happen?: Holding People Accountable for Results the Positive, Principled Way
  • The Connection Algorithm: Take Risks, Defy the Status Quo, and Live Your Passions
  • Strangers in a Strange Land: Living the Catholic Faith in a Post-Christian World
  • The PMP Exam: How to Pass on Your First Try, Sixth Edition
  • The Suitcase Entrepreneur
  • It’s Better Than It Looks: Reasons for Optimism in an Age of Fear
  • Move Fast and Break Things: How Facebook, Google, and Amazon Cornered Culture and Undermined Democracy
  • Warlord: A Life of Winston Churchill at War, 1874-1945

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »