Start by marking “The Gene Police: A Shep Harrington Smalltown Mystery” as Want to Read:
The Gene Police: A Shep Harrington Smalltown Mystery

The Gene Police: A Shep Harrington Smalltown Mystery

(Shep Harrington Smalltown Mystery #3)

The Gene Police is a work of fiction that wraps a murder mystery in elements of the eugenics movement. To be clear, it is not a treatise on the subject but should enlighten readers about this little known pseudo science and hopefully inspire some of them to delve deeper into its history, its proponents, and its impact on American life. The author puts it this way: -My inte ...more
Hardcover
Published January 3rd 2018 by Bancroft Press

To ask other readers questions about The Gene Police, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gene Police

j e w e l s
Oct 09, 2017 rated it did not like it
Too many characters, messy plot line, not feeling it. Super nice author with a really interesting bio! I wish he would write a memoir instead.
Susanne
Mar 18, 2019 rated it it was ok
I really wanted to like this book because reviews made it sound so interesting: a mystery revolving around the pseudo-science of eugenics, or "race cleansing." The topic is still interesting, and worth pursuing further, but this book did not pull me in. A host of sketchily-described characters were hard to distinguish one from another. I found myself scribbling notes: "Who is Gus? Who is Emma? Who is Dorothy Lakeland?" At book's end I realized I couldn't have physically described any of the main ...more
Patsy Sachs
Apr 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
I would really like to write a great review for this book as I really enjoyed it. However I don't seem to have the writing talent that Elliott Light has, so I will just say a few things.
I liked the way the murder investigation is intertwined with the pseudo science of Eugenics. Light seems to be good at this sort of thing. Plus it has lots of cats which is a real winner for me.
Esperanza
May 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I became interested in reviewing this book due to some prior knowledge of the eugenics movement. The author Elliot D. Light does an astounding job of bringing the reality of this destructive, shabby, non-science to the minds of the reader. Set in the style of a mystery read, the beginning takes off with more questions to the reader than ever. I felt compelled to continuing diving into this read.
Not only that but Light helps the reader to understand the racial dynamics of the past. In light of u
Amy Shannon
May 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great story

The prologue gives a good introduction to the narrator and main character "Shep" or formally known as J. Shepard Harrington. I found some of the dialogue a little formal, but I enjoyed the story, and the perspective of Shep. Shep and his law partner, Robbie, just got a new client. And that is just the beginning of their new case, which is more investigative and suspenseful then just a regular legal client would need. I liked the premise of the story, and I like Shep. He's one of those
Kerrie
Oct 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shep Harrington is back in the third installment of Elliott Light’s novels, this time Shep takes a stab at the world of eugenics, which is breeding to create the ultimate human, a person with the most desirable qualities, created in a lab. In The Gene Police, we are taken back in time where we meet Carl and Betty who are sterilized after the death of their newborn baby.

When, fifty years later, the DNA of that dead baby is found at a murder scene, things get a little tricky. Was that baby actuall
Anita
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“The brutal murder of Jennifer Rice. The evidence: DNA found at the scene, DNA that belongs to a man long thought dead, and a shadowy fifty-year old photograph of a woman holding a baby taken at a near-by farm.

Shep Harrington is drawn into this legal quagmire by the arrival of his friend, and now client, Reggie Mason, a black state trooper, who admits that he obtained the DNA illegally. All Reggie wants Shep to do is to ask former residents of the farm it they remember anyone taking pictures or
Deb
Jun 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a Goodreads win. I gave this one to my mom to read. She said it was really good. Mom told me that she would love to read more of his books.
B.B. Morgan
Oct 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Ah, the long-winded opening that presents the life history of the protagonist. It seems that no matter how many times you scream the advice to not do this, writers still do. Given, the opening of this book is not the worst I've read. It's still a bit long-winded and had me asking the question, "Why do I need to know this right now?"

The beginning felt like the protagonist (Shep) was recalling a previous book for the reader's insight, read in a "this happened, this happened, then this happened,"
Rebecca
Jun 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading Gene Police. At no time did I find myself thinking 'this is boring!' or 'this is dragging on!' The story didn't drag its feet at the start like some books do, it grabbed my interest quickly. It is a compelling read. I liked the development of the main character Shep and his close friend Robbie. There are many characters and some are intricate, therefore this isn't a quick read. Rather a book that needs, and deserves full concentration. The story is complex and isn't the type of ...more
Cheryl Freeman
Aug 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed reading The Gene Police and my favorite character Shep Harrington. Without giving too much away here. The information Elliot Light shared was very interesting as I was pulled in more with each page. Things most of us don’t think about. Every character led the way to want to know more about them and what their future holds. A must read!
Barbara
  • The Grand
  • What Lies At Baelwood Manor
  • Mysterious Ways: 100 True Stories of the Miraculous
  • Quiet Deception
  • Whispers of Warning (A Change of Fortune Mystery, #2)
  • Blackout: A Post-Apocalyptic Survival Thriller
  • Skyscraper of a Man
  • Legacies: A Chinese Mosaic
  • The Bumpy, Thumpy Bedtime
  • Making the World Work Better: The Ideas That Shaped a Century and a Company
  • A Sheltered Woman
  • The Chick Friends Rules! Freshman Year (The Chick Friends Rules! #1)
  • Breathe Me (Me #1)
  • Money Habits: Small Life Changes That Can Make You Rich
  • Scenic Route
  • USA, Inc. (A Mike Wardman Novel Book 1)
I am a retired patent attorney living in Florida with my wife Sonya and our feline, Tsuki. I spent most of my life in the Washington, D.C. area. I grew up in McLean, Virginia before the beltway was constructed. Some of my classmates in grade school lived on nearby farms. McLean had a small town feel to it. Gossip spread without the Internet. Party lines were common. Secrets were hard to keep.

When

Shep Harrington Smalltown Mystery (3 books)
  • Lonesome Song: A Shep Harrington Smalltown Mystery: A Shep Harrington Smalltown Mystery
  • Chain Thinking: A Shep Harrington Smalltown Mystery