Start by marking “One Night at the Lake” as Want to Read:
One Night at the Lake

One Night at the Lake

A tragedy on a hot summer night at a lake house forever alters the lives of two best friends—and the man they both love. But the truth isn’t as simple as it appears in this intricate novel of love, friendship, betrayal, and forgiveness in the tradition of Miranda Beverly-Whittemore’s Bittersweet.

Leah Tessaro has been waiting for this moment for a long time: Her boyfriend,
Published June 18th 2019 by Ballantine Books

To ask other readers questions about One Night at the Lake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Night at the Lake

Start your review of One Night at the Lake
Carrie
Jun 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
One Night at the Lake by Bethany Chase is a mystery that involves the death of a girl while on vacation at their lake house seven years before. The story alternates between the voice of Leah from the past leading to her death and June, Leah’s best friend, living with the memory of losing her friend.

Seven years earlier Leah, June and Leah’s boyfriend Ollie had all been good friends so when June needs some cheering up Leah invites her along to Seneca Lake. Leah is expecting Ollie to finally
Kendall
Mar 03, 2019 rated it liked it
This was my first read by Bethany Chase and can see why she has so many fans!

What happens when two best friends fall in love with the same man after one tragically dies? For some reason, I had a hard time wrapping my head around the subject of this story. The ending and overall confusion of the story just rubbed me the wrong way especially with one of the best friends dying who loved the same man.

Please don't go into this story thinking that it's a thriller because it's NOT. It's women's
Theresa Alan
Apr 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a women’s fiction novel with romantic elements and some mystery. The book is told from the alternating points of view of two women who became best friends when they were twelve. When Leah tells her part of the story, it is seven years earlier, before she died. We know it happened at the lake where her boyfriend’s parents had a place, but we don’t know the exact circumstances of how she died. When June tells her story, she’s now engaged to Ollie, the man Leah thought she was going to ...more
Chris
Oct 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book brought back fond memories of young love, young life, close friendships.

Overall, the tone of this book was carefree, fresh and lively and it was a pleasure to read.
There is a main tragedy however, and subsequent tragedies that blossom out from that one particular event. This tragedy has resounding effects.

This story is mostly centered about a summer get together at Ollie’s family lake house. Pack up the car, grab the suntan lotion and let’s go to the lake! Woo-hoo! Road trip to Lake
Stephanie
I received a copy of this title via NetGalley. It does not impact my review.

Well, this book was not for me. A small part of it might be that I have been in the mood lately for mystery and suspense. I knew this was not that type of book, but I feel like the synopsis suggests there is at least a hint of a mystery and there really wasn’t. It was more of a character-driven story about love and guilt and I found it repetitive and pretty boring.

I really hated almost every character in this book,
Icewineanne
Aug 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is about loss, deep friendships and love. While it does have a touch of mystery, that is not the main focus here. The plot: one night on Lake Seneca NY, Leah Tessaro dies by falling off a boat into the lake. Leah’s death shatters them all. Her boyfriend at the time Ollie, is now her best friend June Kang’s fiancé. June & Ollie are passionately in love but also haunted by guilt. June contantly wonders what would have happened if had Leah not fallen? Would Leah be married to Ollie ...more
Kerry
Mar 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’ve been a fan of Bethany since her debut. Her writing is captivating. She always draws me deep into her stories and she’s an expert at crafting characters that come to life for her readers. They’re real, facing very current and complex situations. I loved ONE NIGHT AT THE LAKE and think it's her best yet, with an atmospheric setting and relatable characters with a gradual suspense masterfully woven into the plot that culminates to one night at the lake. A perfect book for summer!
Jamie beauty_andthebook_
Jun 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
3.5 stars for Bethany Chase’s One Night at the Lake!

Having read and enjoyed The One That Got Away by Chase a few years back, which I would said falls most solidly into the women’s fiction category, I was a bit surprised to see this one being billed as more of a thriller. But then again, authors change genres so I went in with an open mind - being a fan of both genres, I braced myself for either outcome. I will say, despite the marketing, I did feel this one was definitely more in the WF
Andrea
Jul 06, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
2.5 Stars

The beginning was excellent, great spirited characters and clever, fun writing. And then ..........fizzzzzzzzle. Ugh.

Read The One That Got Away to see what this author is really capable of.
Kristy
When Leah Tessaro heads to Seneca Lake in Western New York with her boyfriend Ollie for the 4th of July, she's hoping he will propose. They've been together for four years, and she's madly in love. Leah's best friend, June Kang, joins them on the vacation. Instead, something happens and Leah doesn't survive the trip. Seven years later, June and Ollie are headed back to Seneca Lake. It's June's first trip in seven years and she's hoping Ollie, her fiance, can make the trip a little easier. The ...more
Melissa In The City
I finished this in one evening! Even though I went into it thinking it was a going to be a thriller, it really wasn't, but I didn't care. This story was so well written, powerful, emotional, and poignant. The author did a superb job at setting up the most perfect Lake House getaway scenes. I could feel the hot sun and smell the grill and the scent of the sunscreen on the beach towels. I could literally hear the water lapping on the dock. I give her 5 stars for just the imagery! Amazing!
I loved
BookGypsy
Jun 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Told in duel timelines. A story about two women in love with the same man seven years apart. Compelling and I enjoyed it. Great summer read.
Dawnny-BookGypsy
Novels N Latte Review
Novels N Latte Book Club
Jul 20, 2019 rated it liked it
I have enjoyed previous books by this author. I was expecting this to be a suspense as this was how it was listed at my library. But to me this was not a thriller. This is a bit of Women's Fiction. It has some romance. A little bit of mystery. But it is mainly about friendship.

There are two narrators: Leah and June (1st person POVs). They are best friends. Leah's story is told 7 years before. And June's story is told 7 years later. Both stories take place at the lake.

In Leah's story she goes to
Cyndi Becker
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book OWNED me, a week after reading and I’m still thinking about it. First, I’ve been anticipating this book for a long while. I'm no stranger to Bethany Chase’s writing and I know I'm going to be torn up and put back together. I knew that once I start it, I will be captivated until the story ends and for long after. One Night At The Lake is a nuanced and compelling read and I felt everything about these relationships.

The execution of the story is remarkable as is the character
❤Marie Gentilcore
Overall this was an interesting story but there were some dull parts in the first half of the book. The story is narrated by Leah, who died at the lake 7 years ago, and June, Leah’s best friend, who is now engaged to Leah’s former boyfriend. I liked Leah’s story the best and I thought the reveal about her death was done really well. I was satisfied with the way the book ended.
Rachel A.  Dawson
I loooooved this one. Like SOLID 4 stars. If I did half stars, it would be 4.5. It kept surprising me, it unfolded beautifully, the characters felt dynamic and relatable, it had the perfect amount of suspense and drama and back and forth between character perspectives, and it ended up being a totally different kind of storyline than I first thought (which I love). Such a sneaky surprise book!!! Read this one.
Ann-Marie
Aug 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
"One Night at the Lake" combined so many disturbing elements, and creeped me out so badly I didn't review it right away, but set it aside for a couple of days to think about it.
A couple of days turned into a couple of months, and I just realized I have been shoving it aside on my shelf all spring and summer long.
The book starts with the tragic drowning death of a vibrant young woman, and both unwind and moves forward from there. She has not been murdered, but the events leading up to her death
Liz Fenton
Mar 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bethany Chase is one of my favorite authors and her new book does not disappoint! Loved it!
Melissa
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have been impressed with everything Bethany Chase has written so far, and One Night at the Lake has become my favorite of her novels.

This novel was really well-written and thought out. Bethany had great characterizations, along with strong attention to detail, genuine dialogue, powerful levels of emotion, and the use of setting and season to bring the story to life. I loved reading about June and Leah's friendship, as well as June's present relationship with Ollie. One part of the story
Donna Hines
Mar 04, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, netgalley
Two best friends seem to have the same feelings for the same man but one tragically dies.
What happens afterwards is a crazy time of friendships, love, loyalty, and family.
I also had a difficult time with this one as I'm a huge thriller fan and was expecting some major thrills here but just didn't feel that after reading.
In fact there wasn't much in the plot twist department for me to even excite my senses.
Perhaps it's me as I read way more than I probably should especially with regards to
Storiesandcoffee
Jul 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Thank you Random House for the gifted book. All opinions are my own.

I'm torn on this one. I loved the setting of this story, and I loved being transported to the Finger Lakes through the authors descriptive words. But it's hard to say I love the plot when it was hard to root for these characters. I just couldn't accept their relationship and therefore had a hard time falling in love with this story.
Also, I didnt feel like this was a mystery or thriller. Sure, there was a big build up to find
Sonica
Jun 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Actual 3.5
Thank you, Penguin Random House Canada for my copy of One Night at the Lake, in exchange for my honest review. This title releases June 18, 2019.

I changed gears from my usual thriller theme when I picked this one up and so I did not go into it expecting fast-paced suspense, and this contributed to my enjoyment of this story. This is definitely a slow burn.

The story follows a friendship between to women, June and Leah and the summer Leah dies tragically in an unfathomable accident one
Teresa Hyfield
Jul 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 Great page turner ...more
Sally Nimmo
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: net-galley
Plenty of sorrow, guilt, angst, and loss. Lather, rinse, and repeat ... until comes redemption, love, and happy ending. That's about it, folks. You have just experienced this book without having to read it.

Okay, I'm being overly glib and perhaps a bit mean. No, it wasn't an awful book. It’s well written in terms of descriptive characters and scenes. I just felt that the plot was stretched awfully thin.

Thanks to NetGalley for opportunity to read and review.
Randi (randi_reads)
May 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Thank you to NetGalley and Random House-Ballantine Books for a digital arc in exchange for an honest review.

Leah and June are best friends. Their story is told by each of them. Leah's POV is seven years ago when she was dating Ollie. June's POV is seven years later when Leah is dead and June is engaged to Ollie. We know that Leah died while on vacation at Ollie's family's lake house, but we don't know what happened.

This is not a thriller at all, which is what I thought from reading the blurb
Leslie
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I received an advanced copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for a fair and honest review. I appreciate the opportunity.

I started this book with very high hopes. I really like the author’s writing style. Check out “The One That Got Way”. It’s a fun listen (audiobook with enjoyable narration). Based on the description of this book I knew the subject matter was going to be emotional and was fully ready to dig in. The writing is terrific and I really like the style of toggling of POV and
Bonnye Reed
An interesting mystery and romance that takes place on the finger lakes in western New York State. This is an area I have always had an interest in, and Bethany Chase makes it come alive.

Leah and June have been besties since sixth grade in the small NY village of Briarcliff. They roomed together at college and shared an apartment in Brooklyn after they graduated.

We approach this mystery from the first person perspective of Leah Tessaro, seven years ago when she was celebrating her boyfriend
Melissa
Jun 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars women's fiction
Although the description reads as if this is a thriller, it's not. It's the story of two women and coping with loss, dealing with guilt and moving on. That's not to say that there's not an air of a bit of mystery, but it is compelling and works well with the story.
This is told from two perspectives: Leah's and her best friend June's. Both perspectives are set at a lake house over the 4th of July holidays. Leah's time ends in tragedy, June's is seven years later as she is
This review is also available on my blog: Wine Cellar Library

First, I would like to thank Ballantine Books publishing and NetGalley for providing me with a free Kindle ARC of this novel in exchange for an honest review.

I was completely swept away by this novel. There was so much emotion that poured out of each of the characters. The book is written on two timelines, alternating with each chapter: when Leah visited the lake with Ollie, and seven years later. From the beginning, we quickly realize
Amber Boos
Apr 05, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I had never heard of Bethany Chase. After reading this, I feel very lucky that now I have! I loved the story line and the author made me feel as if I were there and actually knew the characters. I am big on stories with water settings and different POV's. This is perfect for both suspense fans (me) and fans of friendship/betrayal/secrets stories! I look forward to catching up on Bethany Chase!! Thank you to NetGalley, Ms. Chase and Random House/Ballentine Books!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• The Dead Girl in 2A
  • Pretty Revenge
  • Evvie Drake Starts Over
  • The Last House Guest
Writer of love stories, designer, and eternally hopeful A-cup. Author of USA Today bestseller THE ONE THAT GOT AWAY and the upcoming RESULTS MAY VARY. Welcome to my page... can I get you a drink?

“A warm, witty, and wise novel, The One That Got Away announces the arrival of a great new voice in fiction.” — Emily Giffin, #1 New York Times bestselling author of The One and Only