Start by marking “Sad Girls” as Want to Read:
Sad Girls

Sad Girls

School is almost out for Audrey, but the panic attacks are just beginning. Because Audrey told a lie and now her classmate, Ana, is dead. Just as her world begins to spin out of control, Audrey meets the enigmatic Rad—the boy who could turn it all around. But will their ill-timed
Published May 30th 2017 by Andrews McMeel Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Sad Girls, please sign up.
Gean Llego Well, it was very triggering for me but I finished the book all the way down to the last page. With or without mental disorder I will highly recommend…moreWell, it was very triggering for me but I finished the book all the way down to the last page. With or without mental disorder I will highly recommend this novel for anyone to read. (less)

Tiff
Oh. My. God. What the hell was that book? If I could give it (-500) million stars, I would. Never have I ever forced myself to finish a book I hated, but I paid Php 780 for it so I decided to just read through it!

As always, let's start with the positives. I have to admit, there was ONE positive. I liked the opener of her book, which read:

"Death, like fiction, is brutal to its symmetry. Take this story and strip it down -- all the way back -- until you are left with two points. Two dots on a vas
Pouting Always
Jun 14, 2017 rated it liked it
After Ana commits suicide, Audery can't stop having panic attacks. Audery has a secret and the guilt is killing her, knowing that a lie she told ended in Ana's death. At Ana's funeral Audery meets her boyfriend Rad and the two leave the funeral to go somewhere and talk. Audrey can't help but be attracted to Rad and can't stop thinking about him even though she has her own boyfriend. The two eventually lose touch only end up running into one another again years down the line. Audery and Rad keep ...more
Nina
Neil (or bleed)
Jul 27, 2017 rated it did not like it
I almost liked this one but it turned out to be a ridiculous, pretentious piece of crap.
Jill McGill
May 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
“Your first love isn’t the first person you give your heart to—it’s the first one who breaks it.”

Sad Girls by Lang Leav is a dark but beautifully written coming of age story that covers many issues that teens go through today, such as, anxiety, drug abuse, suicide, dark secrets, and death. Lang Leav shows us how love can be both beautiful and heartbreaking, and most importantly, she shows us how one decision can change our entire life forever, and quite possibly change the lives of those aroun
Jessa Rivera
DNF at 45%

I'm so done with this book. It fucked my brain up. And not in a good way.

It may seem like I'm just nitpicking but I can't blame myself. Because once I've read something that I didn't particularly like, I'll just anticipate that everything will be awful too. It's like "first impression lasts", you know. And I'm really really disappointed because I've waited for this book and I expected something magical, just like her poetry.

But guess what. It's a fucking abomination.

The first few pages
Rachel (rachandbooks)
Jun 08, 2017 rated it did not like it
First and foremost, trigger warnings should be mentioned and noted before reading this book/this review. TW: drug abuse, self-harm, suicide, anxiety.

I don't know, y'all. I decided to sit on this review and think about it but in doing so, I've nearly forgotten about the whole thing because it was just so awful to me. I think I've pretty much blocked it out of my brain. I want to erase it.

Okay, so I will tell you some things about it. I'll mark spoilers below.
The book starts out with our protagoni
Jen
Apr 30, 2017 rated it did not like it
I'm really disappointed in this one. I love Lang Leav's poetry, but this book just wasn't for me. My overarching opinion is that it was too unrealistic and the pacing was awful. I'll have a fuller review soon, but that's it for now.
Farith
May 23, 2017 marked it as need-this-like-air

UPDATE: I just bought this and I'm so excited although I'm in exams. But whatever.

MY BODY IS READY FOR THIS

Karlita | Tale Out Loud
A life changing lie, an unintended result. Could everybody possibly moved on?

A significant and beguiling debut that didn't take away the mystery and character of Lang Leav's previous works. It shouldn't surprise me that Sad Girls top it all off, but it did! Equally compelling and fascinating with interesting characters, a crooked plot and a shell shocked ending! I couldn't put it down!

***Thank you Netgalley, Andrews McMeel Publishing, and Lang Leav for providing me an ARC in exchange for a f
Marty :} (thecursedbooks)
This was kind of a mess... I had many issues with this book, it all started with the first 'huge secret/reveal/plot twist', it's so bad, I still can't imagine how someone would do that and why? (view spoiler) ...more
Marianne (Boricuan Bookworms)
Jun 29, 2017 marked it as did-not-finish
Shelves: netgalley
DNF @ 20%

I'm not going to give this book a rating, simply because I didn't read that much of it, but I truly cannot bring myself to read more than I already have.

In the 70 or so pages I read, there were some things that I didn't click with:

- So much telling . Page after page of telling instead of showing things that happened, which made it difficult for me to get into the story.

- Insta love . Normally, I'm willing to give it a chance, but here it was just too insta for me. Because eve
[Shai] Bibliophage
Sep 14, 2017 rated it did not like it
Until now, I'm still torn on whether I should be generous to give this a two-star rating or just settled with my initial rating of one. The first 30-40% of this novel got me hooked while I can no longer tolerate the rest of the book. Audrey's personality and way of thinking, and the ending are both irksome; include the lengthy storyline and you will have one boring novel.
Hristina
At this moment, this book has me speechless. I'm gonna re-read it soon, take notes and write a decent review. All I'm gonna say for now is that the writing is beautiful, it enchanted me from the beginning and I'm still under its spell.
Xenia Low
May 23, 2017 rated it did not like it
problematic and tries to justify MURDER in the worst way possible
Dana Al-Basha دانة الباشا
Jun 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
So Lang Leav finally wrote a novel! I LOVE her poetry so I imagine I would really like this book! I just preordered a copy! Can't wait to get mine! I read the first chapter and I got to say it's very dark and unexpected! Not sure if I like it so far.

A few days back, I picked up the book and dived in, I was in the middle without feeling. I have to say I'm seriously impressed with this book. It has been such a long time since I read a book while not sure how it will end, and enjoying it so much.

I
Asha
Jun 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
This was an extremely disappointing read. The book is basically all over the place and seems to be full of drama just for the hell of it (Candela's entire storyline basically). Audrey is a self absorbed liar who needs to grow up. The plot was weak and the character development was very poor. I didn't feel any sort of connection with any of the characters. None of them really had any type of background or strong points and were basically all supporting characters in the 'woe is me' world of Audre ...more
Onaiza Khan
Jun 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: novels, favorites
I'm not sure how I feel about this book yet. I do know that I enjoyed reading it a lot. The writing is very pretty. I could feel the words cutting through me, the sadness especially did seep in. And my battery died as soon I read the last line of the book, 'Ana's diary entry'. Quite a poetic thing to happen. Quite an end it was for me.
n ❀
Jul 07, 2018 rated it did not like it
Erin
Apr 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Thank you, NetGalley for providing me with a copy of this book.

Sad Girls drew me in because of the summary, but I found a story more profound than I ever could have imagined.

Audrey's panic attacks begin after she spread a rumor that led to the death of a classmate. Her life spins rapidly out of control. She has to deal with the consequences of her actions while figuring out how to handle her anxiety. On top of that, she is trying to figure out who she is.

I will never be able to express how muc
Idamandarin Azhar
Jun 06, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: english-fiction
Always been a huge fan of Lang Leav but this book is a huge disappointment. I don't consider this a novel. The storyline is a bit "patchy" and jumpy. It is more of a story driven a than character driven kind of novel. The nameless character in her short stories are more memorable than this.
I manage to finish it and I am a sad girl. Sigh~
Just because this book disappoints me, that doesn't mean I will stop supporting her craft though. I still have high hopes for her. But this book is a no-no for m
Vanessa
The writing was exquisitely superb; now I'm more decided than ever to read Lang Leav's poems. If only it weren't for the epilogue and the "resolution" of the main character's anxiety, this would have been one of the best contemporary novels I read in a while.
Jessica
Oct 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, teen-novels
I give this book 3.5 stars which rounds up to 4.

So this book wasn’t quite what I was expecting. It wasn’t that bad but it just wasn’t as good as I expected it to be. I had these high expectations going in and it didn’t live up to it. It had a lot of potential to be something amazing but it fell flat.

In a way it reminded me aesthetically of Lana Del Rey’s music. Since I like Lana Del Rey, I did appreciate that aspect of this book.
Dana Aldee
Dec 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Guille
Jul 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
This book was. So. Fking. Bad. Written.
And I’m SO disappointed because I love Lang’s poetry, but this novel was trash.
Despite this, it was a trash that I kinda enjoyed? But I knew while reading it that it was bad.
1.5, I will make a full review on my channel.
Kirsten Kindel
Jun 27, 2017 rated it did not like it
If I could give this zero stars, I would in a heartbeat.Sad Girls by Lang Leav is probably one of the worst books I’ve ever read and her main character Audrey is so mind numbingly selfish that it just astounds me. Seriously Audrey is the last person on earth I’d want any little girl to look up to. This whole book just reads like a pre teen middle schooler with no concept of real life and responsibilities wrote this. Spoilers below.

This girl Audrey tells a lie and because of it, the person the li
Charry
Jun 15, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: owned
I can't. Don't buy this book it's a trap.

#cringes
Ona
Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019reads
This book is too melodramatic.

The characters are stereotypical and predictable they supposed to be inspiring but nothing of that felt while reading a story. I thought I would see that through Audrey's trip of finding herself but it vanished just as quickly as it appeared.

All in all, we never learn why Audrey lied in the first place, although it was main reason of her psychological health.
Rosy Tandean
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was ok
I was debating to give this book 1 or 2 stars, but since I used to like her poetry books, well.. 2 stars! To be quite honest, I almost DNF this book!
Joanna Marie
Oct 20, 2015 marked it as to-read
Lang Leav's excerpts from this first novel of hers really excites me.
What do you think about it? 2 37 Jul 02, 2017 07:40AM
Goodreads Librari...: Sad Girls cover 9781449487768 5 28 Feb 06, 2017 10:53AM
Goodreads Librari...: Sad Girls (9781449487768) by Lang Leav 4 26 Feb 03, 2017 01:32PM

• Bitter Sweet Love
  • Tabula Rasa
  • Facts About the Moon
  • The Fall of Gods (A Welcome to the Underworld Novel, #2)
  • A Werewolf Boy
  • I Will Never Be Beautiful Enough to Make Us Beautiful Together
  • Maybe Ever After
  • Whiskey Words & a Shovel III
  • Magdalene: Poems
  • The Modern Witchcraft Grimoire: Your Complete Guide to Creating Your Own Book of Shadows
Novelist and poet, Lang Leav is an international bestselling author and winner of a Qantas Spirit of Youth Award, Churchill Fellowship and Goodreads Choice Award. Often credited with popularizing poetry among a new generation of young readers, Lang’s poetry books, and hit novel, Sad Girls continue to top best seller charts around the world.

Lang has been featured on CNN, SBS Australia, Intelligence
“I learned that writing is the consolation prize you are given when you don’t get the thing you want the most.” 28 likes
“You know, missing someone can sometimes be the best thing for a writer.” 24 likes