Start by marking “The Book of Swords” as Want to Read:
The Book of Swords

The Book of Swords

(Sir Hereward and Mister Fitz #7 - A Long, Cold Trail)

Fantasy fiction has produced some of the most unforgettable heroes ever conjured onto the page: Robert E. Howard’s Conan the Barbarian, Michael Moorcock’s Elric of Melniboné, Fritz Leiber’s Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser. Classic characters like these made sword and sorcery a storytelling sensation, a cornerstone of fantasy fiction — and an inspiration for a new generation of ...more
Published October 10th 2017 by Bantam

To ask other readers questions about The Book of Swords, please sign up.
Shane Moore If you wouldn't allow your child to read "Game of Thrones", then you should not allow them to read this book.

Much of the writing would be challenging…more

Much of the writing would be challenging for a typical child of that age. There isn't any explicit sex, but there are mentions of it including sexual violence. Some horrific sexual violence, such as the sexual assault of young children, is mentioned. The level of violence is consistently high and includes some torture described in detail.(less)

Sean Barrs the Bookdragon
Fantasy is pervaded by legendary weapons, by weapons of awesome power and history: the kind that belonged to kings, queens and heroes. However, fantasy is also full of ordinary swords, swords that belonged to the common man defending his family, ceremonial swords that have caught the eye of infamous thiefs and swords that are worn and dull having spent years in service to a solider in numerous battles.

What the writers here do is take the idea of the sword and play with it, showing its significa
Terence
The Book of Swords is a compilation of short stories. I list my reviews in the order I read them, not the order they appear in the book. These aren't reviews for all the short stories, but rather the ones I found interesting.

The Sons of the Dragon by George R.R. Martin

Aegon the Conqueror had two sisters who were also his wives. With each of his wives he had one son. His oldest son and heir Aenys was born to Rhaenys. His youngest son Maegor was born to Visenya. The Sons of the Dragon tell the h
Karl
Jan 20, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
The anthology has strengths and weaknesses, but many readers will pick it up just for a new George R.R. Martin short story tied to the Song of Ice and Fire series.

Contents:

185 - “The Mockin
Clay Kallam
Oct 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-fantasy
“The Book of Swords” (Bantam, $30, 521 pages) is yet another Gardner Dozois compilation, and this one focuses on what he refers to as “sword and sorcery.” For the most part, this means pre-industrial fantasy with magic, and a certain mythic undercurrent that gives the stories a little more heft.

As always with such compendiums, there are winners and losers, and the most surprising loser is the George R.R. Martin story “The Sons of the Dragon” that concludes the volume. Martin seems like he had a
Phee
Dec 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017
Overall a good anthology of stories about Sword and sorcery. There are some big names in here. Robin Hobb, Scott Lynch, K.J Parker, GRRM and plenty more.
Some stories are better than others as one would expect from this sort of book. I’m not going to rate each one individually or review each one. Ultimately an anthology is put together for a reason, everyone is going to have a different opinion on each story.
And some of them I didn’t feel strongly about either way.

Obviously I really enjoyed Ro
Bogdan
• The Best Man Wins - K.J. Parker: 3*
Mmm, not bad, but the story was predictable, and after a while I was kinda of bored.

• Her Father's Sword - Robin Hobb: 4*
A good story in the Farseer Universe depicting with more care the drama of the peasants when their relatives are taken and forged into trully hateful creatures.

• The Hidden Girl - Ken Liu
I`m not a sucker for the Chinese mythology so I wasn`t very interested in this peculiar story.

• The Sword of Destiny - Matthew Hughes: 5*
Yeah, this defini
Anton
Okay... I started leaving comments after every story I read, but quickly abandoned this idea. As with any anthology you get some good and some bad apples in the same basket.

To keep it brief, I think it is worth buying this book just for these incredible five stories:

The Best Man Wins by K.J. Parker: 5/5+
Quintessential KJ Parker. If you are not familiar with his writing (quick interjection: why not?!) - this is a perfect place to start. Intricate story, attention to detail, immersive despite it
Joseph
Jan 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
First point: Despite what Gardner Dozois says in the introduction, I don't think I'd necessarily regard this as a collection of sword & sorcery stories in the same way as Paula Guran's recent Swords Against Darkness, or even Jonathan Strahan & Lou Anders' Swords & Dark Magic: The New Sword and Sorcery. I'd consider it more of a spiritual successor to Robert Silverberg's Legends anthology, or, I'm guessing, some of the other Dozois anthologies (Warriors, Rogues, Dangerous Women, etc.) ...more
Alina
The Best Man Wins by K.J. Parker - 4/5★
Parker’s witty, direct and ironical style strikes a chord in me, no matter what the story is about. This time, it is about a blacksmith, his past and his talents. Strangely, the detailed process of making a sword didn’t bother me at all, nor that the ending was quite predictable, but, as I am a curious person, it kind of annoyed me that I didn’t find out why the blacksmith was made to leave the Ultramar.

Her Father's Sword by Robin Hobb - 4/5★
Set in the Fa
Rob
Review
I'm not much of a short story person, but I keep being drawn to picking up these Gardner Dozois anthologies. After having mixed results with some of his others, this one may be my favorite. It's likely due to theme. I love sword stories.

Most of these are fantasy stories, but not all of them. I liked the vast majority of them, and only really disliked one of them. My favorites of the bunch are The Mocking Tower by Daniel Abraham and Hrunting by C.J. Cherryh.

I enjoyed the Scott Lynch stor
Anne
Man, I had forgotten how much I love to read anthologies. I recently read The Doll Collection, and I loved it! I'm getting back into them and I'll be reading this one now. I'll try to post a short review of each story as I go, because sometimes it's hard to keep track.

- The Best Man Wins by K.J. Parker - This was really, really good. Very well written and with fascinating characters. 4.5 stars.

- Her Father’s Sword by Robin Hobb - Super creepy and the ending was way out there. 3.5 stars.

- The Hid
Marquise
Indifference is the best term to describe my reaction to this anthology, specifically to the short story "Sons of the Dragon" by George R. R. Martin that was my motivation to read this.

But why? To put it as succinctly as possible: a. because it's a mediocre story, poorly edited and uninteresting; b. because it's neither new nor surprising, Martin already had read this short story at conventions before and fans who keep an eye on his comings and goings already knew of its contents; c. because it'
Florin Constantinescu
I'm probably among the very few people on this planet who did NOT buy this anthology just for the Song of Ice and Fire story. Having no high hopes for any of the authors is always a good way to start off an anthology.
For this year, Gardner Dozois decided to come up a sword and sorcery book made up exclusively of novelettes. The similar length of all stories here is also the reason why this was the first time I read all the stories in the order they are printed. Which was retrospectively a good i
Книжни Криле
Чели сме какви ли не фантастични антологии през годините, включително и такива, върху които с големи букви са изписани и имената на известни съставители като Нийл Геймън или Робърт Силвърбърг. Има обаче един човек, чиято работа не просто като писател, но и като редактор и съставител му е спечелила хиляди верни почитатели, но и впечатляващ брой от най-престижните награди за фантастична литература. Хюго, Локус, Небюла и каквото се сетите още, той ги има в колекцията си във внушителни количества. Г ...more
Lashaan Balasingam (Bookidote)
You can find my review on my blog by clicking here.

I’ve always thought that short stories were so much more harder for authors to nail. To be able to compress a whole narrative within 30 to 100 pages seemed like a task only a God could manage. Only a few authors are able to find an idea, foreshadow it and deliver a stunning ending that will make you realize just how clever those last couple of pages were. In fact, being able to deliver a clever narrative is what I also look for in all my stories
Stephen Robert Collins
16 tales of Fantasy 1st Matthew Hughes, 2nd Elizabeth Bear,3rd K.J.Paker.
Knigoqdec
Този сборник може да заслужава и три звезди, но пък, честно казано, няма да ми остане в сърцето. Затова може да се числи към 2,5 да речем...
Ctgt
Nov 11, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid but unspectacular collections of "sword" stories. Most of the stories were okay with a few notables from Cherryh (my favorite), Nix, Larson, Bear and Tidhar. The only stinker in the bunch was from Martin, seems nowadays even his short stories are bloated.

Save your money and borrow it from the library.

6/10
Deanna
I'll probably get around to reading some of the other stories in this book, but I bought it for the GRRM story, which he read at a con a few years ago. Its not even a new story. I paid full ebook price, and my only excuse is I'm ASOIAF addict. SHAME.
Greg (adds 2 TBR list daily) Hersom
Book of Sword is awesome, even more so for Sword & Sorcery or Heroic fantasy fans. In fact are any of the anthology books that Dozois and Martin have done together not awesome? I loved all the stories except one, but don't let that one rotten apple spoil the whole barrel because these apples are fit for the gods. I'm sincerely hard pressed to name a favorite of the bunch. Book of Swords is a shout-out to the masters; Howard, Lieber, and Moorcock and David Gemmell –he needs to be recognized t ...more
Милена
Jul 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
След прочита на антологията „Разбойници“ нямах никакво търпение да прочета още един подобен сборник с фентъзи разкази под редакцията на Гарднър Дозоа – автор и редактор на над сто книги, вписан в Залата на славата на науната фантастика, горд притежател на доста награди „Хюго“ и „Локус“ за дейността си. За жалост, загубихме Дозоа през май 2018 г., но той винаги ще живее в сърцата на всички почитатели на фентъзито…

„Книга на мечовете“ е сборник, пълен с писатели, които добре знаят как да развихрят
Lucille
Sep 16, 2017 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Very excited for this anthology (but might have to wait for the paperback or a kindle sale), mostly because of Robin Hobb's story!! Here's what she said about it: "Have you ever wondered how other people saw Fitz? Usually, the readers experiences him as a first-person character. But my story in the Book of Swords takes place in a small fishing village during the early years of the Red Ship Wars and Forging. In "Her Father's Sword" Fitz is a character, though not the main focus of the tale."
(Sour
Denny
Feb 08, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a struggle to give three stars. Hughes and Cherryh I felt were the best in the entire book.
Stephen Richter
An excellent collection of short stories containing most of Fantasies heavy hitters.
Michelle Morrell
A big thick book full of sword and sorcery goodness. There are some familiar faces, some I knew by reputation only, and a host of new friends to make.
Jen
This is a really good anthology. All of the stories were enjoyable to me, some more than others, but still. . . All were good. :-)

My favorites though? My favorite stories are arguably the following two:

Story #1: "The Best Man Wins" by K.J. Parker
Even though I saw the ending coming from almost the first moment, I really loved how we reached that ending. I don't think we were ever told the narrator's name, but he was a pretty wonderful character. I really enjoyed the story as he told it. :-)

And. .
Silvana
I'll be posting reviews on the stories from this book as soon as I read them.

The Sons of the Dragon - George R.R. Martin
I finally caved in to the very strong urge of reading this not-so-new material of fake history. It is indeed a rough draft. There are some typos still. We will definitely see a more polished version of it in the Fire and Blood book whenever it comes out (it might be before The Winds of Winter if you believe George's blog). There are many, many new names, but I just need to appl
John Devlin
I'm in simpatico with Dozois' preface more than his selections. Chronicling his early quest for Fafhred and the Grey Mouser is something I understood well. Though I was lucky, by the time the 80's came around all the Lankhmar, Elric, and Conan had been collected into nice chronological packages.

The stories here are fine - a bit too unserious for my taste. Though the tale of the Death Kiss is top notch.

Martin's entry is more a Wikipedia expansion of ancient GOT lore than much of a narrative, and
Alex Andrasik
I received an advance copy of the book via NetGalley. Thanks, NetGalley! Yeah, just dipping into this collection for now to read the George R.R. Martin novella, "The Sons of the Dragon;" the following review refers only to that piece.

Martin continues his teases of Westeros history, written as in-world accounts of some of the key events in the turbulent reign of the Targaryens. This entry covers the years of Aegon the Conqueror's successors: intellectual, beloved, yet indecisive Aenys and his hal
Nichole
Nov 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
While I enjoyed most of these stories, these were my favorites:
“The Best Man Wins” by K. J. Parker
“‘I Am a Handsome Man,’ Said Apollo Crow” by Kate Elliott
“The Sword Tyraste” by Cecelia Holland,
and, my pick for the best story because I love, love, love this series:

“The Sons of the Dragon” by George R. R. Martin. I love to read anything that has to do with this series, and this was no exception.
  • Fearsome Journeys: The New Solaris Book of Fantasy
  • Shattered Shields
  • Kaleidoscope: Diverse YA Science Fiction and Fantasy Stories
  • Cosmic Powers: The Saga Anthology of Far-Away Galaxies
  • Children of Thorns, Children of Water (Dominion of the Fallen, #1.5)
  • The New Voices of Fantasy
  • Glitter & Mayhem
  • The Apex Book of World SF 2 (Apex Book of World SF #2)
  • Defying Doomsday
  • Magic: An Anthology of the Esoteric and Arcane
  • Urban Enemies
  • The Other Half of the Sky
  • The Wild Side: Urban Fantasy with an Erotic Edge
  • Warriors
  • Clockwork Phoenix: Tales of Beauty and Strangeness
Gardner Raymond Dozois was an American science fiction author and editor. He was editor of Asimov's Science Fiction magazine from 1984 to 2004. He won multiple Hugo and Nebula awards, both as an editor and a writer of short fiction.
Wikipedia entry: Gardner Dozois

Sir Hereward and Mister Fitz (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Fantasy: The Best of the Year, 2008 Edition
  • Year's Best Fantasy 8
  • The Best of Jim Baen's Universe #2 (The Best of Jim Baen's Universe)
  • The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror 2008: Twenty-First Annual Collection
  • Year's Best Australian Science Fiction And Fantasy, Volume 4
  • Fast Ships, Black Sails
  • The Best Science Fiction and Fantasy of the Year, Volume 3
  • Swords & Dark Magic: The New Sword and Sorcery
  • Rags & Bones: New Twists on Timeless Tales
  • Rogues
“To disdain the moral pronouncements of hypocrites; to be true to my word; to always do what I promise, no more and no less. To hone my talent and wield it like a beacon in a darkening world.” 1 likes
“I know what’s wrong with me; and knowing your own flaws is the beginning of wisdom.” 1 likes