Start by marking “Whisper (Whisper, #1)” as Want to Read:
Whisper (Whisper, #1)

Whisper

(Whisper #1)

“Lengard is a secret government facility for extraordinary people,” they told me.

I believed them. That was my mistake.

There isn’t anyone else in the world like me.

I’m different. I’m an anomaly. I’m a monster.

For two years, six months, fourteen days, eleven hours and sixteen minutes, Subject Six-Eight-Four — ‘Jane Doe’ — has been locked away and experimented on, without u
Published May 1st 2018 by KCP Loft

To ask other readers questions about Whisper, please sign up.
Laura As of right now it is not listed as being part of a series, although I suspect it will be. My ARC doesn’t mention anything about another one.
The Cruel Prince by Holly BlackWar Storm by Victoria AveyardQueen of Air and Darkness by Cassandra ClareA Reaper at the Gates by Sabaa TahirObsidio by Amie Kaufman
YA Novels of 2018
1,051 books — 5,511 voters
Amelia Westlake by Erin GoughObsidio by Amie KaufmanSmall Spaces by Sarah   EpsteinThe Brightsiders by Jen  WildeA Thousand Perfect Notes by C.G. Drews
#LoveOzYA 2018
54 books — 68 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Whisper (Whisper, #1)
Aneela ♒the_mystique_reader♒
Apr 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, netgalley, 2018

"Words are too precious to throw around carelessly."

Stranger Things meets X-Men meets The Divergent in this ah-mazing book! Just imagine!

This book had me glued to it and I absolutely loved everything about it. The plot, the story, the characters, writing style, and most importantly the mystery it creates! Omg!

We are introduced to a mysterious girl who is silent since don't know when. She is at a secret research facility, Lengard, for almost three years where she is called 684. They also g
Phrynne
Apr 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 5000-books
Science fiction set in Sydney! Goodies versus baddies but we take a long while to discover which is which. Deep tunnel complexes under Centre Point Tower and Taronga Zoo. What more could you ask for:)

I really enjoyed this young adult novel. Okay so there is a love triangle and our main character has amazing powers but does not know how to use them and the bad guy's laboratory is like something out of Frankenstein. It is still a fun book. It moves fast and a lot of very interesting world building
Maria V. Snyder
Sep 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved this story! It's coming out in May 2018 and it is wonderful! The main character is afraid to speak and with good reason and I just was pulled in an couldn't stop reading! Plus Lynette is the sweetest person you'll ever meet - she's from Australia and I got to know her when I was there and she's lovely - just lovely and I was happy to give her a blurb for her US debut!
Nazanin
Oct 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, young-adult, sci-fi
4.25 Stars

She has been locked away from the world for more than two years. She’s known as “Subject Six-Eight-Four” and "Jane Doe".

I am nothing. No one.
I am a test subject, not even worthy of a name.

In these years she has been experimented on or should I say tortured! She can’t speak, oh no, she can but won’t! Words have cost her everything.

I can do the unimaginable; I can Speak the impossible into being.

And with just one wrong word she can change the whole world! But how much she can fight with
shady boots
Thank you to NetGalley for a free copy of this book.

--2.5 stars--

A way to describe my experience with this book would be akin to that of the rush of a new relationship with someone. In the beginning I was hooked, because I was eager to see what would happen next, but after a while my interest waned because I came to realize... Oh. You're just like the others.

I couldn't put this book down during the first half, because I really wanted to know what was going on and the way the author kept you gue
Krystal
Re-read 02/20

So this was just as good the second time around! I think it helped that I'd forgotten most of it. That fact also makes me glad I re-read it before moving on to book 2 because otherwise who knows where my thoughts would be.

I'm so keen to jump into book 2 with a renewed love for Kael and Cami and see whether I can forgive that JERK or not. He has a LOT to make up for.

Otherwise, I stand by my original review.

***

Original Review 05/18

What book lover doesn't love a great story
Jasmine from How Useful It Is
About: Whisper is a young adult fantasy written by Lynette Noni. It will be published on 5/1/18 by KCP Loft, an imprint of Kids Can Press/Hatchette Book Group, 320 pages. The genres are young adult, science fiction, and fantasy. This book is intended for readers ages 14 and up, grades 9 and up.

My Experience: I started reading Whisper on 11/28/17 and finished it on 12/6/17 at nearly 1am. This book is a fantastic read! I love the plot and the characters. Enzo’s upbeat attitude is one of my favori
Brenda
Subject Six-Eight-Four had been locked in a cell during the night and experimented on during the day for over two and a half years. The place was called Lengard; it was filled with guards and evaluators – she knew there were others, but she didn’t see them. Until the day she was taken to the head of Lengard and things changed. She was still a monster and she still refused to speak. They called her Jane Doe as she wouldn’t tell them her name…

Gradually the kindness of the new evaluator caused Jane
Divergent meets Miss Peregrine’s Home For Peculiar Children. A definite MUST READ for 2018!

Genre: Young Adult/Fantasy
Rating:5 /5 stars
Recommendation:BUY IT, and while you’re at it buy a copy for a friend.

Would you read another book by this author?: I will pay full price for her books. I will pre-order them if possible. I am OBSESSED.

Who might enjoy this book?:
Fans of Divergent and Miss Peregrine’s Home For Peculiar Children.

Overview:

The book starts off by introducing us to “Jane Doe”,
Jeanette Lewis
Jul 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: aussie-authors
What if you knew that if you spoke out loud everyone around you would be affected. This is the case with Jane Doe, or subject 684. This book is quite gripping with many twists. Who to trust? For over 2 years Alyssa Scott has been confined to a prison like situation with each day methods used to try and get her to speak and identify herself. It takes sometime before out of desparation a change in tactics is introduced one where 684 begins to trust. However to her dismay this is all an act and her ...more
Ryan Buckby
Jun 17, 2018 rated it really liked it

I have been a fan of Lynette's work ever since i started her Medoran Chronicles series and i was very interested in seeing what she would do with this new series.

Plot: I would say this story is like x-men meets stranger things and another story that i can't quiet put my finger on but if you like x-men or stranger things then defiantly pick this one up and give it ago
Jeann (Happy Indulgence)
This review was originally posted on Happy Indulgence Books. Check it out for more reviews!

When a mute test subject called Jane Doe suddenly finds her routine disrupted by a kind boy called Ward, her whole world changes. Unlike the confinement in a cell and the torturous laboratory tests she’s been undergoing, he actually talks to her and treats her with kindness. What does he want from her? Is this just a trick? Whisper opens up with the core mystery: Who is Jane Doe and what do they want with
Carolyn
Jul 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Held in a secret underground facility in Sydney for two and a half years, subject six-eight-four (or Jane Doe as she likes to refer herself), has refused to speak or co-operative with her captors. She has a secret ability that they want her to show them but she is too scared to use it because of the damage she has already caused.

This is a nicely paced YA scifi novel about a group of people with paranormal abilities. As in all good paranormal novels there are people who want to use those with sp
ABookwormWithWine
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️💫 / 5

"WHOA!" That is one word that comes to mind when I think about Whisper by Lynette Noni. This is a fast-paced YA novel that completely overcame all of my expectations.

Whisper is about subject Six-Eight-Four, aka Jane Doe, who is being kept in a secret underground government facility. She is poked, prodded, and tested every day because she has a gift; we just don't know what that gift is until a ways into the book. She has been here over 2 years but still refuses to speak when the di
Mandy White
Wow, Lynette Noni what a great book! Why did I take so long to read it. I devoured it in 2 days and now I cannot wait to read Weapon. Love that this was set in Sydney and was so different to what I normally read. Fantastic read
Ally (book__ventures)
Dec 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Lynette Noni’s American debut novel will be the next sci-fi series that everyone will love.

I had never heard of Noni before this novel and went into this book with an open mind. From the description, I knew this book would be sci-fi, but I wasn’t sure if I would enjoy the plot. I was largely mistaken.

Whisper is a science fiction novel that will appear in stores on May 1, 2018. It follows a young woman, who goes by Jane Doe in the beginning of the novel. We find that Jane Doe is a sort of prison
Manon
May 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, young-adult, fantasy
I received an e-ARC from NetGalley and Kids Can Press.

My review was originally posted at www.cafemanon.nl

Before starting this e-ARC, I had never read anything by Lynette Noni and I wasn’t sure what to expect. I adored this book.

The story is written in first person from the point of view of a mysterious girl. She stays at a secret government research facility named Lengard. The people who work there, call her ‘Subject Six-Eight-Four’ or ‘Jane Doe’. She refuses to give them any information about h
ambsreads
MY REVIEW FOR WHISPER WAS FIRST POSTED ON MY BLOG. CLICK HERE TO SEE MORE

I always try to support Australian authors and Lynette Noni has been on my radar for a while. I just haven’t had the time to pick up one of her books. I was scanning the bookshop for a read for a flight when I came across Whisper, which I had just seen one of my close friends rave about. So, I picked it up and I am not regretting the choice at all.

Whisper by Lynette Noni follows a girl who is simply known as Jane Doe. For o
A Lib Tech Reads
Nov 16, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: first-reads, reviewed
Whisper
Lynette Noni
Rating: 1/5
Note: Special thanks to Kids Can Press for providing an ARC for review.

I am so disappointed and angry that I don’t even know where to begin. The premise seemed like something I would love but the poor execution of the plot and horribly developed characters prevented that from happening. The prologue had an interesting hook and I actually didn’t want to stop reading. Despite the first few interesting chapters, the book lost me past Chapter 2.

thinking GIF
(An excellent depiction o
Zitong Ren
Provided by the State Library Victoria as part of the Inky Awards.

This was a fun book to read, with a lot of quirks and fun parts, very loveable(and hated) characters and a keeping you on the edge of your chair plot. More detail on everything below, plus some things I didn’t enjoy about the book in this review. And in case if you missed the green spoiler thing, there are major spoilers below, so beware!

Like I said, this was a very fun book to read and while there were parts that were absolutely
Faith
Feb 25, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, netgalley
Eighteen year old Jane Doe was removed from her self-imposed stay at a psychiatric institution and held for the last 2-1/2 years at Lengard, a secret underground government facility. Jane thought of herself as a monster for reasons that aren't immediately explained. At Lengard she was analyzed, tested and experimented on to the point of torture, but she steadfastly refused to speak or tell her real name. This part of the book was sort of interesting, but the tease went on too long. Then, when I ...more
Emm C²
"Words are too precious to throw around carelessly. Words demand respect. They are beautiful; they are terrible. They are a gift and a curse. I will never forget what they can do. Because words have cost me everything."

Whisper is an organic drama encased in technological dread, a warning but wholly alive voice echoing through a sterile ward. The power of words is a mighty one, and it bears a price to match if words are abused.
It's a literal interpretation of the potency of language and the tende
⭐Anni⭐ (Book Princess)
Sep 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dystopia
I read this out of curiosity, I had never heard about this book before. It was a positive surprise and I quite enjoyed it!

Whisper is a mix of ya science fiction and thriller with a hint of the paranormal/supernatural. A quite interesting mix that made for an exciting, mysterious and fast paced read, although there are some ya clichés.

The first half was more on the mysterious side. We get to know the characters, but since the book is written in 1st person, we only get a very limited view
Tilly Booth
Mar 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Thanks to Dymocks Karrinyup for an Advance Readers Copy of this book.

I love Lynette Noni and I'm head over heels for her series, The Medoran Chronicles. Noni brings her amazing ability of creating exceptional friendship dynamics into this new series, Whisper. I really enjoyed reading about the characters. The writing keeps you turning the pages whilst having this magical flow.

I really, really, really wanted to love this book just as much and in all fairness, I wasn't sure if anything could top
Brooklyn Tayla
Anytime I finish reading a Lynette Noni novel, her books always just fill me with a magical sense of awe and wonder, I mean I've only read the first two installments in her Medoran Chronicles but I can't wait to resume them and I definitely count them among my all time favourite books and Whisper is definitely joining!
I had long been so curious to read this beauty, only ever hearing the most glowing things about it from readers and just this year it was announced as the Gold Inky Awards Winner!
K.
Trigger warnings: torture, imprisonment, violence, blood.

This was...generic? Is possibly the best way to describe it? It just felt like something I'd read before. The beginning kind of reminded me of Shatter Me. The whole powers thing felt like The Darkest Minds crossed with X-Men. The whole underground thing was reminiscent of the start of Mockingjay. Etcetera.

Like, there was nothing WRONG with it, per se. It just felt like any other young adult dystopian story, and it didn't do anything out of
Kylie H
Jul 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Picking up a book with no preconceived ideas or preconceptions is something I don't often do. I was nervous about this one as it is in a genre I would not normally read that is Fantasy possibly Science Fiction .
Jane Doe has been held in a clinical facility for over two years. Every day is the same, physical training, psychotherapy and then clinical trials/torture. During this time she has not spoken a single word. Why is she here? What are they not telling her? Why is she too afraid to speak?
Thi
MarytheBookLover
My Opinion:
Awesome fantasy read with all the twists and turns that I didn't see coming. I loved every minute of it. I was rooting for 684 the whole time reading this. There was a few spots that I thought could be moved along a little faster but that's ok because the next part would pick it right up and you were happy to read it.

We are taken through to the life of 684 or JD or Jane or even Chip if you want to call her or her real name! She is an amazing girl and is able to put off talking for mo
Adah Udechukwu
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fiona
Apr 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
While it's easy to draw parallels with other series - X-men particularly - Whisper offers so much more than it might first seem.

Jane has been imprisoned at some sort of research facility for over two years. In that time, she hasn't spoken a word, and she's clearly traumatised over the death of her parents, the even that precipitated her imprisonment. However, there's more to this facility than meets the eye - and I don't just mean that it's buried in a very central Sydney location.

The characte
Aussie Readers: July 2019-Final Thoughts-**spoilers allowed**- Whisper 14 18 Jul 31, 2019 02:08AM
Aussie Readers: July 2019-First Thoughts-**no spoilers**- Whisper 14 18 Jul 29, 2019 10:32PM
Book 2????? 1 8 Feb 26, 2019 03:04PM

• After the Lights Go Out
  • Chasing the Shadows (Sentinels of the Galaxy, #2)
  • Hive (Hive #1)
  • All That Impossible Space
  • Navigating the Stars (Sentinels of the Galaxy #1)
  • The Vanishing Deep
  • Becoming Elektra: Sie bestimmen, wer du bist
  • Small Spaces
  • Deep Water
  • Everywhere, Everything, Everyone
  • Hin und nicht weg
  • Spiel um dein Schicksal (Night of Crowns, #1)
  • The Eyes of Tamburah (Archives of the Invisible Sword, #1)
  • The Surprising Power of a Good Dumpling
  • The Deceivers (Vale Hall, #1)
  • Black
  • It Sounded Better in My Head
  • As Happy as Here
Lynette Noni studied journalism and academic writing at university before completing a degree in human behavior. She lives on the Sunshine Coast in Australia and can be found baking cupcakes, singing along to animated movies, or daydreaming about being swept away to a fantasy world. Some days, she can even do all three at once — and still find the time to sneak in a nap afterwards.

Whisper (2 books)