Start by marking “Path of the Fury” as Want to Read:
Path of the Fury

Path of the Fury (Furies #2)

4.22  ·  Rating details ·  2,338 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
A space adventure with a strong female character in the tradition of Sassinak and Generation Warriors--by the bestselling author of Mutineers' Moon. The "invincible", planet-wrecking pirates made a big mistake when they raided ex-commando leader Alicia DeVries' quiet home world and murdered her family. The Imperial forces seem helpless against the marauders so Alicia decid ...more
Published December 1st 1992 by Baen (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Path of the Fury, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Path of the Fury

Michael Sorensen
Apr 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: old-favorites
This was the Second David Weber book I ever read. I have currently reread this edition possibly ten times (I had to buy another copy, my first got so dog-eared. I gave that copy to my daughter who promptly dog-eared it even more...) and the re-printed--expanded edition once again. I like the first edition better. It was nice to learn a little more about the mysterious Alicia D., but I found all that new stuff actually made the character less appealling, less realistic and less sympathetic. Sorry ...more
V.W. Singer
Jan 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I like this book a lot, as reflected by my rating of it.

I am a fan of David Weber's work, especially this one, the Dahak series, and the Prince Roger series. I particularly like the way he explores the main character's personal choices under really difficult circumstances.

In Path of the Fury, a single female retired super soldier is driven by the need for vengeance to pursue and destroy the pirates who slaughtered her family. Some reviews had said that the "terrorists" were too simplistically po
Jane Lindskold
A stand-alone space opera with mythic overtones — it’s great fun. And, yes, I’ve read the Honor Harrington novels, too. I’ve even done a couple of stories in the “Honorverse.”
Michael Burnam-Fink
Jun 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015, sci-fi
"Before you embark on a journey of revenge, steal the most advanced spaceship in the galaxy!"

Space pirates massacring entire planets made a fatal mistake when they hit a planet home to ex-Drop Commando and ultimate badass Alicia DeVries. They kill her family, she kills an entire squad, and is left bleeding out when a voice in her head offers her vengeance, for a price. That voice belongs to Tisiphone, last of the furies of ancient Greece. She survives, whisked away in a pocket dimension, but her
Curry
Mar 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: recreational
Military sci-fi. Very, very dark. Very, very violent.

Very, very good.

This is one of my favorite David Weber novels.
Mayank Agarwal
Feb 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
I wanted a dose of character-driven military space opera and I had to come back to a David Weber book for it. Really loved the lead character, she is among the best kick-ass heroines I have come across, the plot is a straight revenge drama. When Alicia DeVries family is killed by pirates she goes about chasing them down with all she has and she does have a lot going for her. She was considered the best Special Ops commando there is, add to it the mystical help she gets from a mythological being, ...more
Scott Holstad
Oct 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love this early David Weber book. Gives you a glimpse into the future of his military sci fi writing style, and something that makes this one fairly unique and different from the following 150 Honor Harrington books is the fantasy element intertwined with the military sci fi. One of the most action packed books I've read and the ultimate revenge story. Kick ass, Weber!
Craig
May 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite book ever. I love the mix of SciFi and Fantasy. I know that In Fury Born includes some "Prequel" info for the Human characters, but I wish there was some more of the fantasy creature. I also wish there was a sequel. There is so much more that could be told...
Coucher de soleil
Goodreads is mistaken here: THIS IS **NOT** ANOTHER EDITION of 'In Fury Born'.

The book 'Path of the Fury' was subject to a substantial rewrite by the author and republished with much additional material included, as "In Fury Born". Having read both, I would say that "In Fury Born" is much better.

One big problem with 'Path of the Fury' is that it feels as though part of the story is missing: it starts by telling us (as in 'telling' rather than 'showing') about a great many things which have alr
Nick
May 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Before the Honor Harrington series took over much of his writing life, David Weber began a radically different series. While he later rewrote this book into a much longer work, this book is still interesting, and worth reading. Some hints near the end of the book suggest that it was planned as the start of an ongoing series.
The interweaving of high technology and what seems to be a surviving entity out of Greek mythology was an odd mixture, especially since there is no explanation for how one of
Jesse
Aug 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Probably one of my favourite early Weber books, Path of the Fury sets up an interesting and intriguing universe, some particularly interesting institutions (Drop Commandos) and a tech base distinctly different from that found in the Honorverse or the Dahak series. If your accept the premise of the main character making a deal with one of the Erinyes, then Weber does a good job of ensuring that the character is believable due to the actions of 3 characters working in concert towards a goal. Story ...more
Curtiss
Jun 20, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone
This is like a modern version of E.E. "Doc" Smith's Grey Lensman, but in this case the hero is truly alone, after her own side issues a shoot-to-kill order following her and her immaterial doppleganger from out of Greek mythology stole the empire's most high-tech war vessel to go after the "pirates" who murdered her family (along with the entire 40,00o settlers on her home world.

Kimball Kinnison at least had the backing of Arisia and the Galactic Patrol when he went under cover to take on the Pi
Erin Hartshorn
Jul 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016-reads
Military SF (as one expects from Weber), with the twist of an actual Greek Erinyes, Tisiphone, melded with the mind of the main character — an augmented commando. Add in an incredibly powerful ship with a telepathically linked AI, and pirates will never know what hit them.

Except it can't be simple for Alicia DeVries. The pirates have some powerful backers, and her own comrades think she's gone crazy.

A complex tale with many compelling characters. Highly recommended for anyone who likes a bit of
Jessica Rice
Jul 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
I really didn't enjoy this book. The story was good once it got going and the opening scene was good, but i was so lost in all the technical jargon thrown at you from the beginning and the author expecting you to understand everything that was going on, it just made it a difficult read. Too many characters with such long winded titles that I got lost and forgot who people were. I guess you would enjoy this if you've read David Webber before, but this was the first book of his I've read.....and i ...more
Belinda
Jan 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
I love this book. In particular I love the opening chapter, it's THE chapter I always recommend to other authors wondering how to write great action scenes. It's fast, gripping and emotional.

Overall, the book is an awesome space opera with a kickass female protagonist, an Ancient Greek deity and an AI. PLUS it has violence, great action scenes and the main character is a enhanced soldier, which just happens to be one of my fave tropes.
Jessica
Feb 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
I think I read the extended edition of this book, which is probably a place to go only if you are a fan of the books. Nonetheless I thoroughly enjoyed it - an interesting telling of an amazing story and character. It was my first military read, and while I'm not a huge fan, the sci fi elements kept me really happy.
Richardkyser
Sep 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
loved loved loved this book!!! Sci-fi Military fiction at it's best, loved the character, imperial cadre, an a.i. with personality, a mythological fury that metes out vengeance but learns that justice is much more double edge sword. Love the characters. Basically this one of my favorite books. Nuff said.
Willie Miller
This was a great book if you are into sci-fi space opera, space military. Alicia is the main character and has left the military when raiders come to her home world and murder her whole family. She is left to die but something strange happens and she survives. From cover ups to military kill list she goes through hell to avenge her family's murder. But over all I would give this book 4.5
Flint
Mar 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
While "Path of the Fury" is a simple revenge story at it's most basic, Weber gets top marks for originality. Who else would combine greek mythology and futuristic scifi to create this story? The only thing I can't stand is Weber's inability to tone down the made up techno babble. His writing would read alot smoother without it.
Jaimie
Aug 02, 2011 rated it it was ok
I'm sorry, I just don't like Weber. He is wordy and confusing, plotless and mellifluous. I can appreciate aspects of the characters in "Fury," and have some scenes strongly imprinted on my mind, but that's the most I can say. I can't articulate the plot well at all, because it was chopped up into pieces. The characters struck me as a bit silly and unrealistic.
Joseph Gudge
Nov 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my ALL time favorite books!! Alicia, with a Greek goddess possessing her, and an AI computer connected/possessing her as well...yeah, lets just say that this ex-commando and her counterparts are even greater than the original Furies!! Must read!!
John
May 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Once I gave myself over to the somewhat hard-to-swallow premise, I had a good time with this book. Lots of action, and the central issues of maintaining singular identities within a multiple-consciousness were fun to ponder. I am a sucker for good AI stories.
Patricia
Jun 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. I was already a fan of David Weber's Honor Harrington, and now I'm a fan of his Alicia DeVries. Though the main characters in these two very different series are female, they are as different as the books. Can't wait to read the next one.
Mike
Feb 05, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Military SF buffs
Shelves: military-sci-fi
Good read if you like military sci-fi. Not a big fan of it but Weber keeps it interesting. I like the female character. Well done. Will read more of his....
Mike Holding
Sep 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Amazing meld of Sci-Fi and mythology, really worked well and had me glued to the entire story line to the end.
Gary Scott
Jun 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was a very good read. Love the lead character.
Rebecca
Feb 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-book
This is the original (shorter) version of In Fury Born. Read it either way, both are wonderful reads.
Alisa
Oct 17, 2012 rated it liked it
First delve into the deep sci fi of David Weber, and even met him the year I bought this. Good deep read, but it dragged in the plot in some parts.
Christine
Mar 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A great military sci-fi; sometimes the battle strategy gets a bit dense, but you really don't have to read every word to follow the action
Dee
Aug 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Love this book!
  • The Road to Damascus
  • Counting the Cost
  • The Tyrant (The General, #8)
  • Change of Command (The Serrano Legacy, #6)
  • Privateer (The Flight Engineer, #2)
  • Last Stand: Bolos 4
  • The Hub: Dangerous Territory (The Hub)
David Mark Weber is an American science fiction and fantasy author. He was born in Cleveland, Ohio in 1952.

Many of his stories have military, particularly naval, themes, and fit into the military science fiction genre. He frequently places female leading characters in what have been traditionally male roles.

One of his most popular and enduring characters is Honor Harrington whose alliterated name
More about David Weber

Furies (2 books)
  • In Fury Born

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs, #1)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Kull: Exile of Atlantis
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Oryx and Crake (MaddAddam, #1)
  • Gears of War  Aspho Fields
  • Midnight Robber
    $9.99 $2.99
  • One Fell Sweep (Innkeeper Chronicles, #3)
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Lion of Senet (Second Sons Trilogy, #1)
  • City
    $7.99 $1.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • The Last One
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Abyss Beyond Dreams (Commonwealth: Chronicle of the Fallers, #1)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)