Start by marking “Leaving Eva (The Eva Series #1)” as Want to Read:
Leaving Eva (The Eva Series #1)

Leaving Eva

(The Eva Series #1)

How can we erase the memories that threaten to scar us?

On the outside, Brynn Michaels appears to have it all. A successful career. A loving husband. A beautiful home. But nobody, not even her husband, knows the depth of Brynn’s horror. Abandoned as a child on the side of the road by her young, drug-addicted mother, then later abused by her adoptive father, Brynn has
Published January 2nd 2017 by Soul Sister Press, LLC (first published April 8th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Leaving Eva, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Leaving Eva

Start your review of Leaving Eva (The Eva Series #1)
Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
I was looking forward to Leaving Eva and am not one to be overly disturbed by themes of child abuse, possibly as my own life circumstances and childhood have given me a thicker skin than most but I can understand why this book might upset others.

The book is narrated at the start in a child's voice (Eva's), similar to the style of Room Room by Emma Donoghue however it's not done as well, and has a lot of rough edges to it. I think the word "mommy" was excessively used very early on the book, perhaps a touch of
Kathleen
Jun 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh my goodness! If you want to read a powerful and compelling women's fiction novel that will take you on an emotional roller coaster ride, then Leaving Eva is that novel!

In Leaving Eva, author Jennifer Sivec weaves a haunting dark tale that engages the reader to follow the tragic life story of Eva/Brynn Michael. This heart wrenching story follows Eva/Brynn's life through her childhood and adult years dealing with abandonment, adoption, and living a life wrought with emotional and physical
Heather
Feb 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I feel like this book should come with a big "Trigger Warning" sticker on it. Sivec pulls no punches (excuse the pun....) in her depictions of abuse, alcoholism, self-harm, and more. And, I must say, that's why I liked Leaving Eva so much. Nothing was watered down, but at the same time, nothing felt over-the-top and into the realm of exploitation. It just felt very real. I think fans of books such as Bastard Out of Carolina will really enjoy this one. I'm really looking forward to reading the ...more
Stephenee
May 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
* I received an ebook in exchange for an honest review. *

This book was my first book by author Jennifer Sivec but it will not be my last! She has touched on some very hard, yet very real topics and she wrote about them in a real and respectful way. I felt every emotion that Brynn/Eva went through - It was real and emotional and I felt like I was in the story witnessing the events unfold.

The author had a tight knit plot that flowed quickly and it was on a twisting, turning, curving road that left
Sharon
Booktrope and NetGalley provided me with an electronic copy of Leaving Eva, in exchange for an honest review.

Life has not been easy for little Eva Elizabeth. She was born to a teenage runaway, Ellie Harper, and her dangerous drug dealing boyfriend. Eva had a few short years of happiness living with her grandparents and her mother, but was abandoned on the side of the road by her ruthless father. Renamed Brynn in foster care, she was taken in by Rose and Thomas, but there the suffering continued.
This review is from: Leaving Eva (The Eva Series Book 1) (Kindle Edition)

As I go back in my mind, I realize that I have never read a book quite like this one. The style of the book is very different. I believe it's partially told from a narrator's view. Other times, from the character's POV. At times, I really had a hard time following all of the characters. There are multiple characters in this book and each one had a story about them, even if a small one. The hardest thing for me to follow was
Hooked On Books
Oct 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I started this book & was so upset by it that I had to stop.
Then a couple of days later I started it again, with new eyes. I sat up till 3.30am & read as much as I could in one sitting.
This was an extremely emotional book from start to finish.
It jumped backwards & forwards a lot, but didn’t detract from the story.
I found myself absolutely sobbing my heart more than once.
A very beautifully written story about a very ugly topic, and how eventually things can start to mend.

Terra James
Jan 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a very emotional read. Eva/Brynn is a very strong person to have gone through so much and became a strong dependent person. Unfortunately, this story is all to true of what some children experience with biological parents and foster/adoptive parents. It is heartbreaking. I very heartfelt read.
Tbird London
Apr 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-books
About a year ago I came across the book Losing Eva. It was one of those books that you just know you will never forget. At that moment Jennifer Sivec became THE author for me. I have never met her, I really have never talked to her, but as soon as her name is mentioned, still to this day, I have memories of Eva and how Jennifer is still one of the few authors who can draw out every emotion a human can have with her books. I immediately knew I had to read Leaving Eva so I bought my copy and it ...more
Cranky - The Book Curmudgeon

***** 5 Cranky Stars *****

Warning.... Tissues needed for this book.

Jennifer Sivec shattered my heart with this book and it's still in pieces. By the middle of the book, I had to send her a message to see if she has a support group in place for her readers. If I can offer any advice: Read This Book.

Brynn has had a rough life. I'm not sure how anyone can survive what she's been through but that seems to be all she's doing... Surviving.

Her Momma Rose is more the child and Brynn had to grow up way
DreamsAndScrems Bookaholics
***** April's 5 Star Review ***** 5 Dreams and Screams

There is a secret pain lurking within all of us, waiting to consume us if we allow it.

On the outside, Brynn Michael seems to be living the perfect life. She’s a successful businesswoman married to a handsome and devoted husband. But nobody, not even her husband and childhood sweetheart, Adam, knows the true depth of Brynn’s horror. Abandoned on the side of the road by her young drug addicted mother, then abused by her adoptive father,
Sarah Strawinski
This book is kinda confusing. It jumps from person to person. You don't really know how they all tie together until you have learned about each person. At that point you have to look back in the book to remember what you learned about each person. Don't get me wrong this is a really good book, it's just kinda hard to follow sometimes. When you get to the end it all makes sense and it turns out to be a very great book.

Let me tell you a little about the book. It's about a girl that is abandoned
Susan
Jun 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ebook given from the Author for exchange of a honest review.

The story of Eva later known as Brynn is a emotional read. It takes you on a journey of a young girl to adult hood that has been through an extremely hard life. It touches on some very hard subjects abandonment, drugs, alcohol, abuse. To read this girls journey is amazing but not only hers but you read everyone in her life's POV and at times I got confused but later in the story understood why I was reading their side of the story.

Anna-marie
Oct 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I started this book & was so upset by it that I had to stop.
This was an extremely emotional book from start to finish.
It jumped backwards & forwards a lot, but didn’t detract from the story.
I found myself absolutely sobbing my heart out more than once.

Goodness
Philomena Callan Cheekypee
Usually I write a review straight after reading the book. However this review has been a struggle. Don't get me wrong- this is a brilliant well written emotional read that tore me apart. I'm just hesitant to review as I don't want to spoil anything. So all I'm going to say is if your like me and your a sucker for an emotional read then I recommend this story.

Be warned this book touches on drug abuse and child abuse.
There is a cliffhanger but don't worry book two is already out.
Melenia
Nov 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
I’m unsure how to rate this book. It’s writing was disjointed and child like for most of the story and yet I wanted to keep reading it. I had to know what happened. The story is awful and yet somehow I want her to have a happy ever after. I'm not sure if I can recommend this one or not. But if you do read it be sure to have the next book in the series ready to go.
Martyk
Nov 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was a hell of a roller coaster ride!!! It took me a bit to get into it because it was a different writing style then what I normally read but once I got into it, it was hard to put down. The author did a great job with the heavy subject matter. I will be getting the second book!
Lynn Hill
Apr 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a great book! I have never read this author before but will read her again. This book is so full of all different emotions that make you feel and make you cry even if you don't want to. It was a great job and I will be buying the 2nd book in the series for sure. Thank you!
Amy
Oct 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Leaving Eva
Jennifer Sivec

Im not even sure how to start this review but Im going to try my best … Tracy met this wonderful author at a book signing not to long ago. Jennifer then sent us Leaving Eva – not knowing what I was about to read I was completely overtaken with grief and torment within the first few pages. I thought to myself what in the heck have I gotten myself in to. When an author can create characters and situations that in turn make you emit so many emotions you are holding
Autumn
Apr 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pbwkendread, 2016
So this was my weekend read and to me this was one of my powerful reads for the year already. I am sure I will read more powerful reads but this one was the start of one.
I had so many emotions with this book and when I got to the very end I literally slammed the book down and yelled ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!! It wasn't bad far from it I just couldn't believe it ended THERE.
Now if you are not good with reading about child abuse then this book will not be for you it is dark. The first chapter starts
Novel Grounds
Jun 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has taken me a little while to write a review for. It was one of those books that after you finish, (Or in my case a few times during) you have to take a break to process what is happening. It took a little for me to get into if I am being honest. It touches on some Very tough topics but I was hooked and pushed through to the end. I am SO glad of that fact, as this book turned out to be as great as I had expected.

This book follows the life of Brynne. It is a tale of abuse, drugs, child
Melanie Charlesworth
This book is really hard to review. It was written in a narrators POV which is not something that I have come across in a very long time but it was very well done. It gave the reader a glimpse into everyone involved and made the story line very easy to follow even though there was a bit of jumping around time-wise.

The main focus of the book is Eva (AKA Brynn)who the reader follows from birth until 30ish. She endured unimaginable abuse by the hands of her drug addicted young mother and drug
T.M. Payne
Reviewed by: Tammy Payne- Book Nook Nuts
My Rating: 5 Stars

REVIEW
New to me author

Let me say this book may not be for everyone. It's very detailed , Child abuse at its worse is what I’d say but aside from that. It's a very compelling story. I could not put it down till It was finished. I do hope we get more to the story.

Eva could have had a good life with her grandparents if only her mother would have loved her enough but no she
Crystal Marie
May 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*** This book contains acts of violence against a child; also drug abuse. If you are uncomfortable reading that this is your heads up. ***

While reading this story, there were moments where I told myself I was going to put the book and stop reading it. And there were a couple times that I did actually do that. However, curiosity did get the better of me and I couldn’t stay away from it. By the time that I had finished the book, I was so upset with the cliffhanger that I actually told the author
Ricky Penley
This book was a hard read. It made me angry at times that I just wanted to jump into the book and save this poor little girl that was living in hell. I know that things like this really do happen in real life and I feel sorry for the people that actually have to live through these kinds of things. I think the book was well written and cannot come to grasp that people actually can do things so horrible to women and to little kids. Enough about that lets get into the book.
The book starts of dark,
Candy
Jun 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Man. Oh, Man. This was a tough book to read at times. It touches on some pretty heavy topics like drugs and domestic abuse. The writer's style is simply amazing in that she drags into the lives of these characters and holds you there, demanding that you care about them.

... and care, you do. Deeply.

The intertwining story lines are so amazing that I can't believe that I'm still giving this book 4-stars. Why? Well, there were a few problems that I'm overlooking with this rating simply because the
Angel Hatfield
Jun 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eva/Brynn was born to a drug addicted runaway mother who father left her at the side of the road . then she is adopted and her name is changed to Brynn but her adopted father abuses her also. Brynn started to cut herself when she was younger at least she could control that. Then she finds comfort and love in Adam and marries him. But Brynn must face her past or possibly lose Adam.
This was some story. It was an absolute roller coaster ride and so realistic it was scary. It did go back and forth a
Ebony
Mar 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OMG!!! This book took me on a journey through every possible emotion known to man. Jennifer Sivec has written a book that needs to be read and discussed!!

My heart broke for Eva/Brynn from the very first word in the book. I am still not sure what I feel for Ellie. Rose...poor Rose. Then there is Adam. I really wanted to hate him...but I just can't. I understand him and his love for Brynn. I think he is good man in a really tough situation.

I don't want to ruin this AMAZING story for any
Kathy
Jan 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I recieved this book from the Author for an honest review. I started reading this book knowing it would have some disturbing parts but I decided to give it a shot. And boy am I glad I did.
Leaving Eva was a sad,emotion Rollercoaster from the start. I was hooked from the first chapter to the last. Bryan was adopted into a family that was suppose to be filled with love and affection but turned out to be the total opposite shareing her for life. As she grows up to be a young women she realizes that
Denise MacDonald
Feb 13, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc-s
This book was provided by the publisher through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

The beginning of this book was a rough read- it was choppy and raw, kind of like it missed the editing stage of writing. However, once I got passed that, I couldn't stop reading it. It was emotionally painful to read about such horrible abuse, although I know it does happen. The book should have a trigger warning on the cover because it covers just about every kind of abuse imaginable. It was hard to
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• My Wife & Master Jake
  • Black Horse (Breaking Black, #1)
  • Anything for His Baby
  • The Second Chance Supper Club
  • Second Star To The Right
  • The Art of Inheriting Secrets
  • Listen
  • Grains of Graphite (Book 1)
  • Everyday Lies
  • The Summer of New Beginnings (Magnolia Grove #1)
  • Woman Last Seen in Her Thirties
  • Haunted
Jennifer Sivec writes beautifully broken stories with heart.

She is attracted to and writes stories with characters that are complicated, flawed and completely imperfect. Her books are often a reflection of life, encompassing difficult subjects such as cancer, addiction, abandonment, and abuse. She writes with a raw, complex, yet hopeful approach often weaving tragic stories with honesty and

The Eva Series (3 books)
  • Losing Eva (The Eva Series #2)
  • Saving Eva (The Eva Series #3)
“Adam just knew that he needed to make her happy. He surprised even himself at times with what he was capable of doing just for that smile. It was as though he could reach into himself and pull out something completely unexpected, just to make her laugh.” 1 likes