Start by marking “The House on Foster Hill” as Want to Read:
The House on Foster Hill

The House on Foster Hill

Kaine Prescott is no stranger to death. When her husband died two years ago, her pleas for further investigation into his suspicious death fell on deaf ears. In desperate need of a fresh start, Kaine purchases an old house sight unseen in her grandfather's Wisconsin hometown. But one look at the eerie, abandoned house immediately leaves her questioning her rash decision. A ...more
Published November 21st 2017 by Bethany House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about The House on Foster Hill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The House on Foster Hill

Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
EXCERPT: It was long rumored that the Foster Hill oak tree was not only the largest but also the oldest tree in Oakwood. While its top rose to a marvelous height, it was still dead and its branches never blossomed. The trunk was very wide at the base and split open to reveal a hollow inside. Many a child had hidden there during a rambunctious game of hide-and-seek. They wouldn't hide there any more. Not after today.

The petite body was curled into the position of a babe, inside the tree's womb.
Hannah
Oh, a new author to follow! :) I wasn't sure what I was getting into, with the spooky tones, but I really, really loved the mystery that is strewn through the story, parallel in the two time frames as each character (Ivy and Kaine) probes into the mysterious secrets surrounding the deserted Foster Hill house. A murdered girl was found in a hollow tree a hundred years ago. Ivy, in the early 1900s, is the doctor's daughter and the keeper of the book of deaths, her way of writing obituaries for tow ...more
Jocelyn Green
Riveting! With its dual storyline connected by a single house and the women it touched, Jaime Jo Wright delivers double the suspense, double the romance, and double the reasons to keep turning the pages far into the night. The House on Foster Hill has it all: robust characters, twists I didn’t predict, sky-high stakes, and a strong thread of hope hemming it all together. An outstanding novel from an author to watch.
Reading.Between.Wines
⭐⭐⭐⭐ / 5

This might actually be more of a ⭐⭐⭐⭐💫, but I decided to go with a solid 4.

My reviews and other random thoughts can also be seen at

---------------------->

The House on Foster Hill was a SUPER fast read and I was so engrossed in it that I stayed up until 2 AM of the same day to finish reading it. I literally couldn't go to sleep without knowing how it was going to end.

I really enjoyed that this book is told from dual perspectives and dual time
Irene
Aug 18, 2017 rated it liked it
This was an intriguing dual mystery, though I had hoped for a bit more suspense. It's told from two points of view. In the present day we have Kaine, still grieving the loss of her husband and looking for a new start away from old memories and a stalker. Her husband's death had been ruled an accident but in her heart she knows it was a murder. The police ignored her suspicions, and her stalker even though she could have made several enemies while helping to get other women out of abusive situati ...more
Kate
Jan 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
What a great book! If you are looking for a romantic thriller with some history behind it that ties up beautifully in the end, then this is the book for you! I am so glad I chose this for by Bookbum read for January because not only was it amazing but the whole purpose of the January read was to discover a new author and I definitely succeeded with that! Now lets get down to business...

The House on Foster Hill is an extremely well written thriller that is written from two perspectives in two dif
Christen E.
Mar 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Guys, this book is so amazing (I was so honored to be able to read snippets of it in its baby stage—can't wait to get my fingers on a real, deal hard copy). Romance TONS of suspense and a mystery that will have you up all night until you're finished! This is one that you need to put on your TBR and pre-order lists!!
Heather Gilbert
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017-reads
This book kept me riveted! I love mysterious stories that are tied in with old houses, and this one had some amazing plot twists. Also, as an aside, I really loved the character of Grant Jesse. Wright has a really fresh way of writing that enabled me to "see" the setting and characters and I was really rooting for both protagonists (since it's a dual-timeline story). And speaking of dual-timeline, this one was impeccably done and I love how events in one era would kind of segue into the other.

E
Brittany
This novel! Wow! The House on Foster Hill was, without a doubt, one of the best suspenseful tales that I have read in ages! It was decidedly spooky and thoroughly engrossing, with storylines that kept me captivated.

The events that plagued the women in this time-split story were ones that I would never wish on another human being. However, both stories were ones that I couldn’t turn away from. The author did an absolutely amazing job of tying the past and present together. I truly cared for both
Cara Putman
Jun 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book, the mystery surrounding the home, and the intertwining timelines.

With dual plotlines that collide in the spooky house on Foster Hill Jaime Jo Wright has created a story that will delight historical and contemporary mystery readers. There are hints of romance, suspense, and intrigue that kept me engaged with a story that had characters I quickly cared about. I needed to know how Ivy's and Kaine's stories connected and how they would be resolved. A really engaging read.
Carrie Schmidt (Reading is My SuperPower)
The House on Foster Hill, Jaime Jo Wright’s debut novel, is a riveting twist on the gothic novel, and it’s deliciously intense! The dual timelines add to the intensity, and the writing is vivid and multi-dimensional. The layers in both eras, centered around the abandoned house and an old book, are skillfully drawn and powerfully connected.

What I loved most of all is how Ivy’s story connects with Kaine’s. Not just as it relates to their mutual connection to each other & to Foster Hill House b
Susan
Sep 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Gripping! This book held me spellbound. The only thing that kept me from reading this in one sitting was the obligations of work and family.

Debut author, Jaime Jo Wright, demonstrates skill one usually finds in a more experienced author. Her ability to tell a story with dual timelines is remarkable. The suspense skillfully builds in both story-lines, keeping this reader invested in both Kaine and Ivy's stories. The common link between both stories was not forced, unfolding naturally. Two strong
Natalie Walters
Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
In her debut novel, Jaime Jo Wright invites readers on a chilling journey buried in secrets, murder, and a mystery shrouded in a century old house.

I could not wait to get my hands on this story. Not since Agatha Christie have I read a haunting mystery that's left me rattled enough to keep turning pages in spite of the fear of what was coming next. I had to know. If only so I could sleep at night (fitfully and with a nightlight).

Ms. Wright mirrors two stories of two women entwined in a shared his
Caidyn (SEMI-HIATUS; BW Reviews; he/him/his)
This review and others can be found on BW Book Reviews.

1/5 - DNF at 41%

Thanks to Netgalley for providing me with an advance copy of this book! It, in no way, influenced my opinions. I basically requested this book because of the title, description, and cover. They interested me, really.

The story in this is dual told from different periods. Ivy is Kaine's great-great grandmother (give or take a great). It's a mystery of sorts where they're trying to figure out an eerily similar problem from their
Kav
Sep 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Mesmerizing. I'm just nigh on speechless at a how truly captivating this debut novel is. There is this powerful thread of hope that is intricately woven into the very fiber of both Kaine's and Ivy's stories that ministered to me in an incredible way. I am so grateful to the author for creating that kind of inspirational thread -- it transcends time and easily leaps from fiction to real life. Truly uplifting.

And now on to the whole Gothic vibe that thrilled me to my toes. Both in 1906 and 2017. I
Deanne Patterson
Suspense is not my go to genre when reading but do enjoy a good suspense once in a while. I have read Jamie Jo Wright's novellas in collections with other authors but this is her debut full length book and I would never know it's a debut by her writing. Very intense scenes and the mood was really set up well. Beautiful faith filled elements kept the book on track and running well.I am very impressed and look forward to reading the next coffee fueled book by this author.
Pub Date 21 Nov 2017
Thank
Mary Jackson _TheMaryReader
Dec 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is one debut book that you had better get a copy of right away!

I never put this book down until the very last page. I could not turn the pages fast enough. It was such a, I don't want to say creepy read that's not the word that I am looking for, it was suspenseful, no wait it was Riveting! I loved the characters, the storyline, the dialogue everything about this book!

I gave this book 4.5 stars and I HIGHLY recommend it. I can not wait for Wrights next book to be in my hand!

The Mary Reader
Kathleen
Sep 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book will keep you guessing, till the very end. Highly recommend.
Dec 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The House on Foster Hill is by debut author Jamie Jo and what a read! Between plot twists, mystery, suspense and incredible details, this book will captivate you, while holding your attention between two time periods. Written in a dual plot lines with immense attention to detail, this book will keep you intrigued.

Kaine Prescott is grieving the loss of her husband who passed away two years ago. After begging in desperation to re-open the case after the suspicious death of of her husband, Kaine d
Dana Blazsek
Aug 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Thank you to Netgalley and Bethany House Publishers for this ARC.

In a debut novel, Jamie Jo Wright, tells a story told in two different time periods.

Ivy tells the story in 1906. Outside the house on Foster Hill, a body has been found-- stuffed into a hollow tree. The girl is unknown and nameless. Still raw from the loss of her brother over a decade ago, Ivy insists on inserting herself into the investigation, even if it means putting herself in danger.

On the other side, we have Kaine. Kaine i
Staci
Nov 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
What a mysterious debut!

This time slip novel told the story of current day Kaine Prescott and early 1900's Ivy Thorpe. The story was set in Oakwood, Wisconsin and primarily at the eerie House on Foster Hill.

The author does a nice job of connecting the two women's stories and I was equally engaged in the present day and yesteryear stories. Once the mysteries were solved, I found the outcomes to be plausible as well as the ending for both Kaine and Ivy.

I look forward to what the author will offer
Emilee
This is the first book I have read by Jamie Jo Wright. I stepped out of my comfort zone, I usually don't go for suspense or mystery BUT I really enjoyed this story. I am also not a big fan of dual story lines BUT again this was a wonderful and intriguing novel. I love the cover. It really drew me in. The plot is complex and well written. The message of hope is beautifully captured throughout the chapters. I will be reading Jamie Jo Wrights other books as soon as I am able.
Sarita
Rating 4.75

This is a debut novel? What a talented new author in my favourite genre. I picked this book because I needed to read it for a challenge, and I'm so glad I did - I already bought the second book by this author.

Filled with mystery, action, suspense, twists and a scene that actually made me jump, this was an eventful ride. Some of the twists I was able to guess, and part of the end reveal I guessed but some things was surprising.

The dual-time story was executed brilliantly - the voices o
Kathrin
I received a free copy via NetGalley.

I had a good feeling about the book when I first picked it up - an interesting blurb that promised an intertwined story of two women who are mysteriously connected through an abandoned, old house in rural Wisconsin.
Without giving too much away - I wasn't disappointed. The book holds its promise and offers some twists and turns that I didn't see coming.

'The House on Foster Hill' is foremost the story of said house and its impact on the life of two very diff
Helena
Feb 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Whew.... such an intense read! It gripped me from the start to the end, and I am just glad it all ended in good ways. I am exhausted after reading this book, but oh boy....what a great story! This book reminded me to always have hope (and faith) in Him, for His promises always fulfilled. Moving on... I will read something light, and comedic... or a very romantic sweet story next.
Shannon (Mrsreadsbooks)
I was excited to read this book after reading the synopsis and the first few chapters were quite promising, as they were pretty creepy. However, I felt that the mystery and suspense that should have been in this book just never really came to be. I did like both of the main characters, Ivy and Kaine, even though they lived a century apart. I think I liked Ivy's character better then Kaine's and found her to be easier to relate to. I liked the author's writing but I think this book is trying to g ...more
Cathy Daniel
Nov 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Uhhhh I read this book in one night. Mainly because it was too intense to put it down without resolution. It's dark. Pretty dark for Christian fiction but there's hope and a good faith thread woven in. But did I mention it's intense and dark? Lol.
Enjoy!
Sarah Monzon
Nov 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is not your grandma’s Christian Fiction. A bit on the dark side, a bit brave as it broadens the scope of the genre, and I always love something new and fresh in what I read. There was a lot going on (some I loved and some not so much, though only a personal preference) but the two story complimented each other.
Denise Hershberger
Oct 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow! This book has countless mysteries, tons of suspense, some romance, history and much more!

I couldn't believe how much was packed into this book - especially a debut novel! I have to admit I was a little unsure about it since I had heard it was a little darker than I usually read (and it was...) but it was so good. I couldn't stop reading and flew through it because I just had to know the answers to the million questions that came up. And it wasn't like they were easy answers either. I was re
Professional coffee drinker & ECPA/Publisher's Weekly best-selling author, Jaime Jo Wright resides in the hills of Wisconsin writing spirited turn-of-the-century romance stained with suspense. Coffee fuels her snarky personality. She lives in Neverland with her Cap’n Hook who stole her heart and will not give it back, their little fairy TinkerBell, and a very mischievous Peter Pan. The foursom ...more
“If left to her own devices, Kaine would probably end up on the next plane for New Zealand in the hopes her stalker didn’t care for international travel and horrible jet lag.” 8 likes
“Well, there was a fire.” The records keeper was as intimidating and unreadable as Gandalf the wizard.” 7 likes