Start by marking “Holding the Fort (Fort Reno, #1)” as Want to Read:
Holding the Fort (Fort Reno, #1)

Holding the Fort

(Fort Reno #1)

When dance hall singer Louisa Bell visits Fort Reno to see her brother, she is mistaken for the governess that the harried Major Daniel Adams is waiting for. Between his rowdy troops and his two daughters, he has more responsibility than he can handle alone. Eager for the opportunity, Louisa sets out to show the widower that she is a perfect fit.
Published December 5th 2017 by Bethany House Publishers (first published December 2017)

Hannah
Aw, this was such a fun read! The story is lighthearted and very well researched. It was easy to like Louisa and to root for her and Major Adams to fall for each other. The two girls, Caroline and Daisy, are enjoyable youngsters as well.

I have to say, that introduction between Louisa and Major Adams (him trying a stunt and landing at her feet!) was hilarious and one of the best/most memorable meetings I’ve read. I can always count on Jennings to write in some good humorous scenes, and this one w
Abigail
This book is so good!!! I read it almost in a whole day, I couldn’t put it down. The wit and the humor was so enjoyable to read. The plot in general was so good. It seemed original too, which was refreshing. I cannot wait to start book 2!!!
Victoria Goodbrand
My Thoughts
Holding The Fort was a sweet story that I greatly enjoyed. the whole plot was just so much fun!! Louisa was so likeable, as well as Caroline and Daisy! I found myself eagerly turning pages at midnight several nights not caring that my eyes were as dry as the desert. 🌵
I loved the setting. It was just o unique, bc it’s a real place! You can actually go visit Fort Reno today, if you have the money for a plane ticket 😉
I had very few dislikes but one of them was Daniel. I felt like he did
Teresa
Holding the Fort by Regina Jennings was such a fun book to read. I can't even say how much I enjoyed it. When you think about a dance hall singer posing as a Mennonite Governess, it would have to be hilarious. Louisa gets herself in more situations than you'd think possible with Major Daniel Adams, the head of Fort Reno, when she's posing as his daughter's governess. This book was such a joy to read. I highly recommend it!
Dec 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Age Appropriate For: 15 and up
Best for Ages: 15 and up

I discovered Regina Jennings this year in reading Caught In The Middle. That book really impressed me. The next book I read by her, her very first book, wasn’t my favorite. Sixty Acers and a Bride had some wonderful elements but some content that I didn’t enjoy. Holding the Fort was fun and ranks between the other two books mentioned.

Right off, I was a little worried about where this might be heading. After all, I started to see that deceptio
Brittany
Dec 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Holding the Fort was a thoroughly delightful book! The story contained a nice balance of humor, serious dialogue, and questions of faith. I enjoyed the characters in this story, both the primary and secondary ones.

Louisa was a likable character, even as she tried to uphold the ruse of being a governess. I appreciated that she kind of fell into that position and did not initially set out to deceive anyone. Once she found herself in that situation, however, I enjoyed watching her develop a conscie
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The plot sounded interesting enough and I'd say those words describe my general feelings towards the entire book: interesting enough.
Interesting enough to keep me reading, but not enough to keep me mentally engaged. Every time I felt inclined to give up, something would happen to keep me curious for just a little bit longer.
Nothing exceptional. Nothing terrible. More than a little preachy.
Shantelle

While Holding the Fort wasn't my favorite book by Regina Jennings, I must admit it was a pretty adorable story. The first book in a new series, THE FORT RENO SERIES, it was engaging, fun, and easy to read. I ended up liking all the prominent characters: Louisa Bell, the dance hall singer. Her trouble-making brother, Private Willis. The rather endearing Major Daniel Adams, a widower and father. And the major's two daughters, Caroline and Daisy.

There was a sweet romance, unexpected happen
Jen.
Nov 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Wow - what a gorgeous cover!!

In between the gorgeous covers of this book lies an equally gorgeous story, one that will draw you in from the very first page.

This book has some beautiful characters. Major Daniel Adams is one of the kindest, most gentlemanly heroes I've seen. Louisa Bell has such a sincere heart and desires the chance at a normal, respectable life. Private Bradley Willis and the Major's two daughters, Daisy and Caroline, round out the supporting cast and are so much fun to read a
Cara Putman
Apr 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Regina’s novels always have such fun characters and a sense of humor that is delightful. This one has that, but so much more. There’s a heroine who’s trapped between her past, and what she hopes her future will be. A hero who wants to be more than he is and who is tied to a formal status due to his rank in the US Army. The conflict and challenges between them are real…and humorous. And the possibility of love is sweet…and tangled. For those who love westerns filled with romance and set in fun lo ...more
Jenessa
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ugh, I don’t have the words, this was AMAZING!!!!
Aerykah
Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 stars for the book, but only 3 stars for the audio version because I didn't care much for the narrator.
Susan Snodgrass
Dec 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
'What did God think of her sitting in this chapel, pretending to be holy? He knew the truth. He knew she was no friend of His.'

Louisa Bell, aka Lola Bell, sings in a bawdy house, even though she's never done anything but sing, but still she's treated like trash by everyone. She loses her job at the Cat-Eye Saloon to a younger, more desirable singer and realizes she has no place to go. However, her brother is stationed with the calvary in Indian territory not too far away. He has gotten into a lo
Jan 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Holding the Fort was such a joy to read. I cannot think of another book that had me giggling out loud as much as this one did in quite some time. It takes a special story to really be able to infuse humor into a romance during a time in history that was very stressful and could be deadly. I like that this story had such a quirky heroine. Her growth as a character and the transformation that she made in a world that often judged her and the wonderful romance that develops between her and Major Da ...more
Maureen Timerman
Dec 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
As soon as I turned the cover of this book the author had me walking in Louisa Bell’s shoes, and loving this girl. A big heart filled with compassion, and when she becomes homeless decides to go to her brother who is in the brig in Fort Reno.
Be ready for a few chuckles and wonder how she does what she does, but with such a loving way, that faux pas are soon forgotten, but we do see what a great mind she does possess with her chess playing. Can a bar room singer get away with posing as a governes
Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa)
What a hoot! This book is well written and a lot of fun to read.

Louisa Bell comes from questionable beginnings. She feels that she can not make much of herself because of others decisions that affected her life. She doubts God and she doubts herself. A fortunate circumstance fell into her lap and she rose to the occasion and learned and grew as a person. She is a woman of integrity, grit, and intelligence - in spite of what others tell her.

I loved watching Louisa grow and see the positive impact
Sarah Monzon
Feb 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Reminded me a little bit of The Sound Of Music <3
Tima
Jan 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Louisa is a dance hall singer. When she receives a letter that her brother is in prison at the army fort, she worries about his reckless behavior. When she's fired from her job, she decides to head to the fort to save her brother from himself. Due to a huge miscommunication she's now working as a governess for two wild little girls. And their father, Daniel, is as full of secrets as she is.

This was a fun book. The plot was well thought out and while predictable in its romance, it was also full
Julia
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Holding The Fort by Regina Jennings is a really fun historical Christian romance. It is the first book in the Fort Reno romance series and what a wonderful series it promises to be.
The characters were realistic and well drawn. The leading lady is a delightful mix of confident yet vulnerable with a kind heart and an amusing personality.
We all play roles in life. The person we present to the world may be very different from the 'real' us. Holding The Fort explores the different roles people play -
Haley S
Wow! I have found a new favorite book! And can I be honest with you? I did not expect to like it—like at all. I went into reading the book with a “I’m not going to like this book” attitude, but, boy, I was wrong. I honestly don’t know why I didn’t expect to like it. I mean, I didn’t really like the cover; it just isn’t my type. Or maybe I read a certain synopsis that I didn’t like. I have no idea.
The main characters—and side characters—were awesome. I really felt as though I “knew” them. Jack wa
Cheryl
Feb 18, 2018 rated it liked it
The first in a series about Fort Reno. Louisa is a dance hall singer who loses her job and has no place to go except the fort where her brother is stationed. He is in trouble as usual and she wants to help. She is mistaken as the governess that the commanding officer was waiting for. She tries to act like a governess and help her brother.
Dawn
Jan 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Review soon.
Iola
Nov 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Lovely Lola Bell was raised in a saloon, but her singing voice has meant she’s managed to keep from working upstairs. Except now she’s been fired, and no one in town is going to give a saloon girl a respectable job. Then she hears her brother—her only family—is in trouble. She has no choice but to become Miss Louisa Bell, find Bradley at Fort Reno, find a respectable job, and hope her past never catches up with her.

Major Daniel Adams is a widower with two daughters. When Miss Louisa Bell arrives
A.M. Heath
Feb 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What I Loved: I always enjoy a military setting, so I was smitten with Hold the Fort from the moment I had first heard about it. Jennings incorporates military life at a western fort along with historical details about the conflict with the relocated tribes in the area. I learned some things along the way which is always a treat. With this as a backdrop, she adds in a beautiful romance, two charming girls, and one sweet talking hero. And then there’s the well thought out gospel presentation weav ...more
Dec 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Running a Kansas Fort on the frontier with Indian Territory, and with two daughters in desperate need of training and education, Major Adams agrees to hiring a governess. Anything to stop his mother in law from pulling his girls away, she thinks that Fort Reno is no place for growing girls.

She's sung her last song as a singer & performer at the Cat Eye Saloon. Replaced by a younger, albeit less talented model, Louise 'Lola' Bell is suddenly unemployed and homeless. Taking a huge leap of fai
Leslie aka StoreyBook Reviews
Dec 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, books-to-review
When you are in the mood for a trip to the old west, life in a fort, and a sweet story about faith, love and forgiveness then this should be one of the books you pick up to indulge that feeling.

While this book is labeled as western Christian romance, it is not heavy on the religious aspect.  There is the right balance of faith/religion, love, action and the wisdom of two young ladies.

This story touched my heart in many ways.  Louisa was way out of her element pretending to be a governess to the
Phyllis
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-stars
It is amazing how much I still learn about the West while reading fiction after all these years.  Regina Jennings packed so much history into Holding the Fort, written about the actual military fort, Fort Reno.  It is clear she did a lot of research for this book, and yet not a minute of the book was dry or uninteresting.

When I read the description of this book, I honestly expected to find the premise a little unbelievable.  It seems like mistaking a dance hall singer for a governess is quite a
Christian Fiction Addiction
Feb 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
With fun loving characters, laugh out loud moments, and a whole lot of heart, "Holding the Fort" is another winning novel from Regina Jennings. Louisa is a zany, likeable young lady who will surely win your heart within a few pages of becoming acquainted with her. Her desire to look out for her brother is a sweet one, and the misunderstanding that results in her becoming a governess makes for some highly interesting moments. Some of the scenes, of course, you may need to take with a grain of sal ...more
Rachael
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed the story (though I had some small initial hesitation, even having loved the author's previous works--nothing good ever comes from lying about who you are). But it's delightfully funny, it's sweetly romantic, and it's a marvelous example of grace--everything I've come to expect from the author, while at the same time tackling a difficult subject.

Anytime the main character is masquerading as someone they're not, no matter how innocently begun, you know trouble is coming. The trut
Vera Godley
Jan 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sometimes it is good to just kick back, relax, and indulge in a fun, light, tickle-me-pink story that still holds a good, clear message of the goodness of God and His forgiveness. Holding the Fort is just such a book.

Typically I don't care for wild west stories that involve dance hall girls but this one is different. The heroin of this story is a young woman who is the result of a single mother that lived a low life in the dance hall environs. But Louisa managed to be in the environment (or in t
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Apr 04, 2017 09:40AM
  • Heart on the Line (Ladies of Harper’s Station, #2)
  • Long Time Gone (The Cimarron Legacy, #2)
  • A Love So True (Teaville Moral Society, #2)
  • A Most Noble Heir
  • A Defense of Honor (Haven Manor, #1)
  • A Match of Wits (Ladies of Distinction, #4)
  • The Bride Wore Blue (The Sinclair Sisters of Cripple Creek, #3)
  • A Promise to Love (Michigan Northwoods, #2)
  • Dawn Comes Early (The Brides of Last Chance Ranch, #1)
  • Courageous (Valiant Hearts, #3)
  • A Lady Unrivaled (Ladies of the Manor, #3)
Regina Jennings is a graduate of Oklahoma Baptist University with a degree in English and a history minor. She has worked at The Mustang News and First Baptist Church of Mustang, along with time at the Oklahoma National Stockyards and various livestock shows. She now lives outside Oklahoma City with her husband and four children.

Fort Reno (3 books)
  • The Lieutenant's Bargain (Fort Reno, #2)
  • The Major's Daughter (Fort Reno, #3)
“But Why didn't she tell me? Why hide it?"
..."Would you brag about having a brother like me, sir?"
Major Adams cut him a sharp look, then with a shrug seemed to accept his excuse...which was fairly insulting, if Bradley thought about it...”
0 likes
“What would God think of her, sitting in this chapel, pretending to be holy? He knew the truth. He knew she was no friend of His.” 0 likes