Start by marking “The Ladies of Ivy Cottage (Tales from Ivy Hill, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Ladies of Ivy Cottage (Tales from Ivy Hill, #2)

The Ladies of Ivy Cottage

(Tales from Ivy Hill #2)

New from the Top Author of Inspirational Regency Romance

Return to Ivy Hill in The Ladies of Ivy Cottage as friendships deepen, romances blossom, and mysteries unfold.

Published December 5th 2017 by Bethany House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about The Ladies of Ivy Cottage, please sign up.
Courtney Miller December 4th, 2018 it will be released! The Bride of Ivy Green.

Beth
I am loving the Tales from Ivy Hill! The Ladies of Ivy Cottage is another winning story, full of charm, whimsy, and characters that I grew to love. The plot is best described as steady, flavored with issues that aren't particularly heart-stopping, but still full of heart and emotion.

Usually when a book switching between characters, I usually get impatient to leave one and get back to my favorite, but that wasn't the case here. Even though I probably do prefer Jane over the others (I'm usually lo
Staci
Dec 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2017
It was sheer delight to return to the village of Ivy Hill with its vast cast of characters and touch of mystery. In The Ladies of Ivy Cottage I especially enjoyed living through the life changing decisions several characters made. While not all the romances were resolved, those that did were swoon worthy and I was smiling ear to ear.

Klassen is highly talented and I look forward to the next in the Tales from Ivy Hill Series. I suspect it will be another December release...that is a long wait.
Lindsey (Books for Christian Girls)
About this book:

“Living with the two Miss Groves in Ivy Cottage, impoverished gentlewoman Rachel Ashford is determined to earn her own livelihood . . . somehow. When the village women encourage her to open a subscription library with the many books she has inherited or acquired through donations, Rachel discovers two mysteries hidden among them. A man who once broke her heart helps her search for clues, but will both find more than they bargained for?
Rachel's friend and hostess, Mercy Grove, ha
Kate Baxter
Oh how my heart aches for the Regency Era women of Ivy Hill. Regardless of how hard they work or try to make their way in the world, they are still subject to the whims of men and societal standards of 1820s Wiltshire, England. A woman's life was precarious outside the protection of a father or husband. For those women who strove to stand on their own through means available to them, I am ever their cheering fan.

This delightful story, (the second installment in the Tales from Ivy Hill series) i
Megan
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Julie Klassen is an "auto-buy" author for me. She is one of my favorite authors and I've read all of her books. Her newest book, "The Ladies of Ivy Cottage," lived up to the expectations I have of a Julie Klassen book!

This book is the second book in the "Tales from Ivy Hill" series. It can be read as a stand-alone, but I highly recommend reading the series in order, as there is a lot of backstory one would miss if they read out of order. Ms. Klassen does have a helpful website dedicated to the
Heidi Robbins (Heidi Reads...)
Just lovely! It's not fast-paced or terribly exciting, but the women of Ivy Hill have a gentle strength that made this book a pleasure to read. I recommend reading the first book in the series, The Innkeeper of Ivy Hill, to more fully understand and appreciate the backgrounds of the various community members. The perspective switches often between Jane (the innkeeper), Rachel (the librarian), Mercy (the teacher), and Thora (Jane's mother-in-law). We learn more about Timothy, Rachel and Jane's ch ...more
Kate
Feb 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
I liked this book better than the first in the series, I think. Maybe that was because we already knew the characters involved (at least for the most part), and the story lines could continue naturally from where they left off, with only a bit of back story to help out.
I think I liked Rachel's growth the most in this book: she went from not wanting to accept charity, and not really thinking God was interested in helping her, to understanding what true grace and charity actually are, and trusting
Loraine
I enjoyed once again meeting the group of ladies from Ivy Hill as well as their neighbors. Ivy Hill is a small quaint English town with numerous interwoven relationships. The friendships deepen and romance is blossoming for each of the ladies, but each must decide which is the right man for her. A hint of mystery permeates the town with the arrival of previous parlor maid, Hetty and her daughter, Betsy. And grows larger with the sudden emergence of a reclusive woman who has lived in the town for ...more
Jamie
Dec 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
As with the first book of this series, I could not wait to dive into Julie Klassen’s latest and go back to Ivy Hill! As she always does, Klassen once again captured my attention fully, with each and every character.

While the first book isn’t completely necessary to read this one, I admit, it makes it so much more enjoyable. It would be easy to think that a book with some many people, especially three women, could get lost or overwhelming, but nope. It only gives you more characters to love. Much
Jill
Nov 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing

I loved this return visit to Ivy Hill. Julie Klassen has done a wonderful job bringing this world to life. The characters are very real. I feel their struggles and root for them the whole time I'm reading. I can't wait to see where this journey takes them in the next installment. I highly recommend this series to readers who enjoy quaint village settings and British period drama.

I received this book for free for the purpose of review.
Sarita
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-tbr, audiobooks
I enjoyed the second book in this series a lot more than the first. Not sure if it was because I was listening to it, but I think knowing the characters from book 1 and having my own happy ending in mind for them, added to this. Due to the character driven story, the pace is still slow, but this time I enjoyed it.

Some threads that started in book 1, was finished in this story, specifically the relationship between Rachel and Jane. We finally understood what happened that caused the rift and was
Meredith (Austenesque Reviews)
A Continuing Saga of Strong and Self-Sufficient Women!

Rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars

TYPE OF NOVEL: Regency Romance, Historical Fiction

SETTING: 1820 Wiltshire, England

MAIN CHARACTERS:

- Rachel Ashford: With her father passed away and his heir displacing her from her family home, Rachel contemplates a marriage of convenience or earning her livelihood.
- Sir Timothy Brockwell: Childhood playmate of Rachel’s and Jane’s. Eight years ago he courted Rachel, but then broke it off because of family duty.
- Merc
Tammie

Rachel's friend and hostess, Mercy Grove, has given up thoughts of suitors and fills her days managing her girls' school. So when several men take an interest in Ivy Cottage, she assumes pretty Miss Ashford is the cause. Exactly what--or who--has captured each man's attention? The truth may surprise them all.

Return to Ivy Hill in The Ladies of Ivy Cotta
Cara Putman
Mar 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
It was enjoyable to return to Ivy Hill and watch the development of the characters through this book. These books are a quiet, gentle ride through Jane Austen's time period in England. Much is happening, but with the help of friends and faith, the characters overcome. This series reminds me of Jan Karon's Mitford series, only in early 1800s England.
Dec 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I absolutely loved this! ❤ I can not explain the total pleasure I feel reading a story by Julie Klassen. I love everything about Ivy Hill and all the wonderful characters. It was so sweet and I can’t wait for book three! 😍 ...more
Samantha
Aug 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
The continuing story of Ivy Hill. This ones main focus in on Rachel and Sir Timothy with other characters stories intertwined. Mystery and Romance make this story engaging and a delightful read. I look forward to reading the next book!
Deon
This series should be read in order.
Lynn Spencer
Life continues in Ivy Hill in this 2nd novel of the Ivy Hill trilogy. I've read a number of trilogies that start and end well, but middle books sometimes have a tendency to drag a bit. Not so with this novel!

This book definitely does not stand alone well as it continues many of the plot threads introduced in The Innkeeper of Ivy Hill. However, while we still check in on Jane Bell and doing at her inn from time to time, the primary focus shifts over to Ivy Cottage, where Mercy continues to run he
Sophia
An invitation to return to the world of Ivy Hill was a delightful prospect for me. I might encounter the three lovely childhood friends- Jane, Rachel, and Mercy- who must all make their way in the world independently or any of the other village characters.

The Ladies of Ivy Cottage is the second of the Tales from Ivy Hill series. It flows right out of the first book, The Innkeeper of Ivy Hill so does not make a good place to start.

The focus of this book is divided with an ongoing story of Jane w
Amy
Apr 02, 2018 rated it liked it
About 3/4ths of the way through I realized this wasn't the book on my to-read shelf but its sequel.
Which explains a lot. I'm adding an extra star because I feel I should have noticed that earlier and it would have cleared up a lot of my frustration with this book. (So many characters! No real introductions! Random characters brought in half way through!)
Despite being thick, a fast read. Sets up for a third book in the series so I guess its main fault is simply feeling squashed. It ties up some
Rachel
Dec 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A lovely continuation of the stories from Ivy Hill. Enjoyed getting to know some secondary characters in book one a bit more in the new story. Left me on a bit of a cliff hanger so anxiously awaiting what happens next!
Susan Snodgrass
Mar 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
When I read Julie Klassen's very first book, I knew I wanted to follow her. Her books are not a fluffy, afternoon read. No, they are rich, full and deep. When I begin one of her books, I'm delighted to simply settle in and enjoy. She takes you so completely into her characters' lives, it's hard to get away!
This book is the second in Klassen's 'Tales From Ivy Hill' series. Miss Rachel Ashford is a gentlewoman who finds herself in circumstances that alarm her because she must find a way to support
Joleen
Justina Brockwell: Sir Timothy’s younger sister, Rachel’s childhood friend
James Drake:
Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa)
Aug 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
It has been too long since I read The Innkeeper of Ivy Hill . I had forgotten several key points of the book. It took me a little while to get up to speed and continue on with the story. I highly recommend reading the first book before this one, or read them one right after the other.

This book is not fast paced, just like the first. Julie Klassen is building the story, piece by piece. It moves just like life would. I like that the book is not a race, but a story that is told in detail and intere
Kellyn Roth
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: review-to-come
4.5/5?! Or even a full five stars?

Like, it didn't WOWWWWW me but it was perfectly awesome in every way, so I might go with 4.5 for personal preference and 5 for AWESOME!

Full review to come, but for now ...

<3 <3 <3 Jane.

I forgot who Gabriel was between books. *facepalm*

Rachel is such a sweetheart! <3 And, honestly, I can't help but love Mercy because she shares a name with the sweetest little girl in the world (who just happens to be my niece).

Ummm ... yeah. These are great because ev
Christin
I just felt like this book was okay. I wanted to love it! Quaint English village - check. Historical fiction - check. Romances at every turn - check. But, alas, the writing felt clunky at times and Rachel’s storyline (the main focus) was not compelling to me. It just fell flat. I suppose it could be because the author usually does not write series. It felt like it had the depth of a novella but with the length of a novel. I asked for this for Christmas but I wish I had checked it out from the li ...more
Elizabeth
Apr 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Julie Klassen’s return trip to Ivy Hill was even more enjoyable than the first time around. The pace was sedate, but the plot was intriguing, and I looked forward to picking the book back up whenever life got in the way. There is still a romance or two left to develop in the finale but those that came to fruition were oh so satisfying. The inhabitants of Ivy Hill have charmed their way into my heart and I am eager to see them again.

I received a copy of this book from Netgalley. All opinions are
Janell R.
Feb 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a much anticipated read for me! I had read the first book in the series last year and greatly enjoyed it. These couldn’t necessarily be called thrilling or adventurous, but they are utterly charming and there is certainly some subtle intrigue in the storyline.

I love each of the young ladies whose stories are featured in these books. The character development is just great as well as all the supporting characters as well.

The spiritual content isn’t super strong but it’s steady throughout
Paula Vince
Nov 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
There's nothing nicer than a well-written village chronicle, and I loved The Innkeeper of Ivy Hill, which started this series off. I was so keen for the chance to grab hold of this next installment, and it didn't disappoint. Julie Klassen has a way of building up our curiosity to fathom several village mysteries. It's good to catch up with many characters we came to love in the first book. Some parts of their stories were neatly tied up, but others left tantalisingly dangling. While the Bell Coa ...more
Kav
Aug 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Reading this series is like watching a British period drama -- very like Larkrise to Candleford and Crandford -- where we enjoy a real slice of village life and all the drama and romance that goes along with that. It's divinely captivating and utterly addictive.

Probably best appreciated if you've read the first book -- The Innkeeper of Ivy Hill -- as there are a lot of characters and relationships to sort out. If you haven't read Innkeeper, be prepared to feel a bit lost the first couple of chap
What's the Name o...: SOLVED. Period piece book, Regency romance/mystery? [s] 6 36 Jan 10, 2018 07:46AM
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 3 Apr 29, 2017 09:21AM
  • Bride of a Distant Isle (Daughters of Hampshire, #2)
  • Dawn at Emberwilde (Treasures of Surrey, #2)
  • Like a Flower in Bloom
  • The Captivating Lady Charlotte (Regency Brides: A Legacy of Grace, #2)
  • A Lady Unrivaled (Ladies of the Manor, #3)
  • An Elegant Façade (Hawthorne House, #2)
  • A Refuge Assured
  • Caught by Surprise (Apart From the Crowd, #3)
  • A Note Yet Unsung (Belmont Mansion, #3)
  • Until the Dawn (Until the Dawn, #1)
Julie Klassen loves all things Jane—Jane Eyre and Jane Austen. A graduate of the University of Illinois, Julie worked in publishing for sixteen years and now writes full time. Three of her books, The Silent Governess, The Girl in the Gatehouse, and The Maid of Fairbourne Hall, have won the Christy Award for Historical Romance. She has also won the Midwest Book Award, the Minnesota Book Award, and ...more

Tales from Ivy Hill (3 books)
  • The Innkeeper of Ivy Hill (Tales from Ivy Hill, #1)
  • The Bride of Ivy Green (Tales from Ivy Hill, #3)
“God was good, she did not doubt. But that did not always mean He gave you everything you wanted.” 4 likes
“Miss Matty: "You were once in a position to help others, Rachel Ashford. Now others are in a position to help you. Don't waste time feeling embarrassed. But when you are in that privileged position again someday, remember to return the favor.” 1 likes