Start by marking “Out of the Ordinary (Apart From the Crowd, #2)” as Want to Read:
Out of the Ordinary (Apart From the Crowd, #2)

Out of the Ordinary

(Apart from the Crowd #2)

Working as a paid companion may be quite commonplace, but Miss Gertrude Cadwalader's eccentric employer makes her job unpredictable, to say the least. She finds herself carrying out an array of highly unusual tasks, including wearing peculiar outfits and returning items the woman pilfered. But when the wealthy Mrs. Sinclair catches Gertrude sneaking around the Sinclair yac ...more
Published November 7th 2017 by Bethany House Publishers (first published November 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Out of the Ordinary, please sign up.
Jen Turano While I do intend to write those stories, the next series is actually an American Heiress series - but...they're going a bit...rogue. Thanks for askin…moreWhile I do intend to write those stories, the next series is actually an American Heiress series - but...they're going a bit...rogue. Thanks for asking!!! ~ Jen ~(less)

Start your review of Out of the Ordinary (Apart From the Crowd, #2)
Lindsey (Books for Christian Girls)
About this book:

“Miss Gertrude Cadwalader hoped her position as the paid companion to Mrs. Davenport would be easy. But as she becomes acquainted with her employer, she realizes the wealthy Mrs. Davenport has a strange tendency to be a bit light-fingered with other people's trinkets. Gertrude is relieved when Mrs. Davenport decides to have a quiet summer away from the social scene--until the woman changes her mind in order to help a young socialite launch into society.
When Gertrude is caught
Staci
Aug 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
I enjoyed the hijinks of Mrs. Davenport and how things ended for her. While I liked both main characters, overall this novel wasn't my favorite Turano. Look forward to continuing the series.
Aerykah
Ah... Jen's books are always so very fun to read!  That's why I like them so much.  They're unusual and wholly unbelievable, but they make me laugh and I dearly love a laugh! :)

This book was, as I expected, a lot of fun and quite the adventure at times!  There are some deeper, more difficult topics in this book, but as a whole I would consider it a comedy.  Sometimes, the characters and situations are completely absurd, but that's what makes it so funny!  (If you're a fan of classic films, I mig
Melissa (LifeFullyBooked)
Jan 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
The second installment of Turano's Apart from the Crowd series is laugh-out-loud enjoyable. The foibles of the characters, balanced out with a light-hearted yet meaningful love story, is a true treat. Gertrude has a great head on her shoulders, and even though her sensible ways are foiled at each turn by her impetuous boss, she keeps a cool countenance (even when in some rather unimaginable situations). It's great that all of the threads are tied together in the end, even the small mysteries and ...more
Emilee
Jun 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is a lot of fun. This is my first book by this author and although it's not my favorite genre it was a great read. The characters are pretty far fetched but it is fiction so I use my imagination. Lots of silliness going on which led me to smiles and giggles. I compare this read to a little treat, a cupcake with fluffy buttercream frosting!
Jerry
Jan 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Overall, I enjoyed this one, even if I'm not the target audience.
Beth Erin
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Full review and q&a on Faithfully Bookish

Turano delivers a subtle faith message in a universally appealing, inspiring, and delightfully entertaining tale of Gilded Age wallflowers and their dashing gentleman counterparts.

Gertrude, Harrison, Asher, Permillia and their band of misfit friends, family, and acquaintances keep the story hopping with romance, mystery, and all-out shenanigans! The Apart from the Crowd series is one of the few which my tween daughter (who prefers fantasy and adventure)
Carole Jarvis
Nov 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Reviewed at The Power of Words: http://bit.ly/2mhNjF6

Sometimes nothing else will do but a Jen Turano book. Jen excels at witty dialogue and has the ability to turn the simplest of situations into laugh-out-loud humor. I’m not sure, but suspect that Georgette Heyer is somewhere in her ancestry. I enjoyed every minute spent reading this delightful story.

Out of the Ordinary can stand alone, but it’s so much fun to see characters grow throughout the series. This story begins with the engagement part
Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa)
***4.5 stars***

I loved this book cast with eccentrics! There are so many moments that had me smiling/laughing/chuckling. This is fun book to read from start to finish!

While this is a fun book to read, there are many serious issues the characters are going through. Jen Turano deals with their problems with grace and a sense of humor. The most important part is that they are not alone. Friends an a loving Father in Heaven are always there to comfort and guide.

This is a second book in a series, but
Emily
Apr 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am SPEECHLESS in the BEST way!

This book could not have been more adventurous and positively endearing. Harrison has to be one of the most wonderful male leads I’ve ever read (excepting Gilbert Blythe, of course). He was absolutely a treasure of a character. Gertrude was a delight, as were, well, all the rest!! I may write a longer review later, but if I don’t, just know that I ADORED this book. I’m so glad I read it.
Karen Hadley
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
 If you havven't read any of Jen Turano's book, what are you waiting for? I'm always excited when a new book of hers is released. The title to this new release "Out of the Ordinary" really describes her writing style. Its out of the ordinary and entertaining to the max. This new story carries her signature style of writing throughout the book. The names of her heroines are amusing, heroine Gertrude Cadwalader has her job as companion keeps her busy keeping up with her employer and tolerating the ...more
Lilian
Mar 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favoritecovers
this was great. xD
Micaiah
Nov 25, 2017 rated it it was ok
Unfortunately, this book didn't pan out for me. I've read a few of Jen Turano's novels in the past and liked them - but Out of the Ordinary really didn't have the same type of story structure, romance, or excitement. Which is a bit of a bummer...

First off, let's talk romance. Don't get me wrong - I love a good romance novel. They're adorable and sweet and often funny and have good messages. But the interaction between the two main characters in this was...I don't know, interspersed? I didn't fee
Rachel
Another winner in the line up of books by Jen Turano! As I've come to expect from her, this book was wonderfully hilarious and warmly romantic. The second book in the Apart From the Crowd series, Out of the Ordinary will keep you entertained all the way through!

One of the things I really liked about Gertrude and Harrison's relationship is that because it is built on a friendship, they have the basis for trusting each other when circumstances would normally have drove them apart. I loved how Harr
Amy
Nov 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Out of the Ordinary by Jen Turano was an absolutely hilarious book. In fact, this may be her funniest book yet. Which is saying a lot.

Gertrude was such an original, engaging character and her relationship with Harrison was laugh out loud funny. I liked that they had a mutual respect for each other, despite the fact that they kept finding themselves and each other in embarrassing situations. I really liked Harrison, he was down to earth and humble, and he had no idea how to react to any of these
Minx
Out of the Ordinary is the second book in the Apart from the Crowd series and I absolutely loved that this book included the original cast of characters from book one. I love it when a cast of characters are developed and then they are carried through a series, it just adds to the overall story for me. This story though was focused on the relationship between Gertrude Cadwalader and Harrison Sinclair. I definitely enjoyed how things played out between Gertrude and Harrison. It was also lovely th ...more
Susan Snodgrass
Nov 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I just fell in love with Jen Turano's books with her very first and right then and there determined to be a forever fan of her work. My opinion has only been further cemented with each book. She is a riot!

Miss Gertrude Cadwalader works as a paid companion to a very eccentric Mrs. Davenport, a society matron fond of lifting items of value from houses she visits. Miss Cadwalader then must sneak back and return them all with no one being the wiser. Mrs. Davenport also gives Gertrude some really unu
Megan
Oct 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
"Out of the Ordinary" is certainly just that--a not very ordinary book! This book is the second book in the "Apart from the Crowd" series, although it can be read as a standalone. This is my first book by Jen Turano and I really enjoyed this hilarious, anything-but-ordinary story.

This book certainly stands out among the Christian historical fiction I have read. Ms. Turano's sense of humor and style of writing is especially noteworthy. The way she writes makes me feel like I'm watching an "I Love
Amy
Nov 26, 2017 rated it liked it
I've read many Jen Turano books now, and she continues with 'Out of the Ordinary' in a similar fashion that's very unique to her. The characters are always quirky and fun. The dialogue differs from other books in this genre in that there's always a lot of sparring, with humor. I have not enjoyed this series however, and I'm putting it down to the oddness of the character name choices. I stated this last time but when reading a name and it's something you have to fall over in your head, it takes ...more
Caity
Jan 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
So, embarrassing story. I marked this book as read and stated that a review was coming soon, and then set about scribbling all my review notes down so I wouldn't forget anything, and what did I forget? To actually post it. *eye-roll*
I remember well, however, that I thoroughly enjoyed this book, as I still think of scenes and lines from it since I finished it at the beginning of this year, and I'm expectantly awaiting the release of the next!
As always, Jen Turano presents us with a dazzling cast
Sarah Ruut
Nov 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Adventures, misunderstandings, and crazy attire combine to create a delightful story that will keep you chuckling throughout!

Mishaps seem to follow Gertrude wherever she goes, but her sweet spirit makes her a character you wish you could meet in real life. And while Harrison's style might raise eyebrows, he has the heart of a hero indeed.

I loved the quirky characters and humor in Out of the Ordinary. I can't imagine experiencing many of the escapades the characters do, but if those things actual
Cara Putman
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this fun story and can't wait to read the next installment. I love these quirky, Gilded Age romances.
Carrie Schmidt (Reading is My SuperPower)
“The very sight of that grin caused her soul to sing.”

As I said in my long-ago review of Behind the Scenes - Jen Turano's writing is a mix of Georgette Heyer and P.G. Wodehouse but set a bit on its end. What results is a lot of madcap mayhem and amusingly endearing characters, and the same can be said of Out of the Ordinary.  I'm thinking particularly of one scene near the beginning of the book where Gertrude's birdcage bustle begins to spectacularly fall apart AND she gets stuck on a settee ...
Alysha (For The Love of Christian Fiction)
I love Jen, and had SO many expectations for this book! I heard it was her funniest book to date, though I did laugh out loud a few times it wasn’t as hilarious as I had heard.

That being said, I thoroughly enjoyed Gertie (😉) and Harrison’s story!!! I loved the Sinclair sisters and seeing more of Temperance all throughout the book. I cannot wait for book 3 to come out!!

I want to be best friends with Gertrude, I totally feel like we would hit it off! Or maybe I could just be her? So I could have
Kelly Bridgewater
Oct 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I adore Jen Turano's writing. She creates such realistic historical characters that jump off the page. Her heroines are never the typical women of the time period. They enjoy acting out of the societal norms, which I love. Her writing is crisp and clean with abundant descriptions to keep me in the setting. There isn't too much or too less description. Just enough to keep my imagination flowing as the characters move around in the setting. I was really excited to read Out of the Ordinary, and Tu ...more
Christy
Mar 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
DNF twice! I tried two times to get into this book, but I just couldn't. I made it over 100 pages and didn't care at all about how it might end. Jen has written some great books, but this series just hasn't been as great in my opinion.
Feb 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This story is a delight! As always, Turano’s writing is full of humor and historical detail, and the romance between these two unusual members of society is both funny and swoon-worthy. I loved when Harrison matter-of-factly begins calling Gertrude “Gertie.” Her compassion toward quirky Mrs. Davenport and her willingness to be turned orange or wear a birdcage-bustle (read the book) is captivating. I laughed out loud when Harrison picks up Gertrude and runs from his annoyed little sister. Out of ...more
Anne
Mar 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have long been a fan of Turano’s books and Out of the Ordinary is definitely one of the best yet! Gertrude and Harrison settled down deep in my heart. They are dear friends and have this quiet yet obvious attraction between them. Watching their ambrosial friendship develop into something more was pure delight.

Out of the Ordinary has an astonishing cast of supporting characters. Agent McParland and Edwina are two of my favorites. Surely they need a novella at the very least. :) It’s hard to rea
Chautona Havig
Dec 02, 2017 rated it really liked it

I will say that for the most part, I wasn’t disappointed. There are several things about this book that I much prefer over the first.

The opening:
So about the first half of the book (almost) takes place in one day. Much like the last one, actually. But unlike Behind the Scenes, I wasn’t bored. Not at all. This one did everything that one tried to do and it did it well. I was captivated from page one. BRAVO!

And the characters?
They were just as quirky and unique as the last. Actually, I have a lot
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Apr 15, 2017 04:52PM

• The Major's Daughter (Fort Reno, #3)
  • The Lieutenant's Bargain (Fort Reno, #2)
  • Holding the Fort (Fort Reno, #1)
  • Heart on the Line (Ladies of Harper’s Station, #2)
  • Serving Up Love: A Harvey House Brides Collection
  • A Song Unheard (Shadows Over England, #2)
  • The Number of Love (The Codebreakers, #1)
  • More Than Words Can Say (Patchwork Family, #2)
  • More Than Meets the Eye (Patchwork Family, #1)
  • A Worthy Pursuit (A Worthy Pursuit, #1)
  • The Runaway Bride (The Bride Ships, #2)
  • Worth the Wait (Ladies of Harper’s Station, #1.5)
  • The Reluctant Duchess (Ladies of the Manor, #2)
  • From This Moment  (From This Moment, #1)
  • A Defense of Honor (Haven Manor, #1)
  • Beyond All Dreams
  • Woman of Sunlight (Brides of Hope Mountain, #2)
  • Until the Dawn (Until the Dawn, #1)

Named One of the Funniest Voices in Inspirational Romance by Booklist, Jen Turano is a USA Today Best-Selling Author, known for penning quirky historical romances set in the Gilded Age. Her books have earned Publisher Weekly and Booklist starred reviews, top picks from Romantic Times, and praise from Library Journal. She’s been a finalist twice for the RT Reviewers’ Choice Awards and had two of he

Apart from the Crowd (3 books)
  • Behind the Scenes (Apart from the Crowd, #1)
  • Caught by Surprise (Apart From the Crowd, #3)