Start by marking “The Darkling Bride” as Want to Read:
The Darkling Bride

The Darkling Bride

Three generations of Irish nobles face their family secrets in this spellbinding novel from the award-winning author of the Boleyn King trilogy.

Published April 17th 2018 by Ballantine Books (first published March 6th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about The Darkling Bride, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Darkling Bride

Start your review of The Darkling Bride
Julie
Mar 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Darkling Bride by Laura Andersen is 2018 Ballantine publication.

I had a feeling I’d would like this one!

A seven- hundred- year old Irish castle, multiple family tragedies, mysteries, unsolved crimes, a legendary author, an unpublished manuscript, a dash of romance, and a library to die for- Be still my heart!

This story is, in many ways, an ode to Gothic mystery and romances, especially those written back in the sixties and seventies by such acclaimed writers as Mary Stewart and Victoria H
Melisa
A mystery based around a 700 year old Irish castle where the secrets lie within the antiquated books of its library. A bibliophile/history buff/reader’s dream scenario.

This book has a lot going on in it, and I mean A LOT. Several different mysteries and timelines with elements of police procedural, gothic, historical fiction, murder mystery, supernatural, romance, and Irish geography, history, and folklore. Phew! But somehow the author managed to make a cohesive, flowing story while incorporati
megs_bookrack
Nov 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs-read
I had so much fun reading this book!

When I first picked up The Darkling Bride I was ready for a straight-laced historical fiction novel. However, I quickly realized this is so much more than that!

The book seamlessly weaves a bit of historical fiction into what is actually a modern-day murder mystery.

The setting is Deeprath Castle, a stately and possibly haunted castle in County Wicklow, Ireland.

Our protagonist, Carragh, is an archivist hired on to inventory the extensive historical library p
Marialyce
3 moody Gothic stars

Once upon a time, many of us would have loved to live in an Irish castle with its ghosts, secret rooms, hidden passages, and a very long history. For the Gallagher family tracing back hundreds of years that was their life. They had lived in a castle, they had experienced its tragedies, they had and were becoming a part of its history. Many things had transpired over those years and if the walls of the castle Deeprath, oh, the stories they would tell.

Now, the castle is being t
JanB
Mar 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Atmospheric and suspenseful, this modern day gothic mystery has it all: a centuries old castle, a ghostly presence, family secrets, mysterious deaths, local legends, and yes, even a little romance. The Gallagher family has owned Deeprath Castle in Ireland for centuries, but the current owner, Aiden, has decided to sign it over to the National Trust. A young woman, Carragh Ryan, has been hired to take inventory of the castle's massive library.

Aiden’s parents died under suspicious circumstances a
Holly  B

A gothic tale set in an Irish castle - Deeprath

Carragh Ryan loves books and she is hired to catalog the library at the castle. She claims she is there for the books, but she becomes entangled in legends, a murder mystery, and more.
~
This one has an intriguing story line, but a confusing timeline (three) and quite a few characters turned out to be too distracting. I think a faster pace and less detailed accounts of the backstory would have made this more enjoyable. I struggled with the writing sty
Dianne
The past catches up to the present, and odd clues in the house soon have Carragh wondering if there are unseen forces stalking the Gallagher family. As secrets emerge from the shadows and Carragh gets closer to answers—and to Aidan—could she be the Darkling Bride’s next victim?

A seven hundred year old family castle is home to intrigue, mystery, deceit and death. Three generations of one family will be forever lashed together in history when dark secrets are revealed and wicked machinations in th
Amy Leigh
Apr 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
This book took me by surprise! I was thinking it would be a comfortable historical fiction novel I would enjoy and it was so much more. The atmosphere is very Victorian Gothic. The story was non-stop in a good way. I couldn't get enough of this book! I need this physically on my bookshelf!

First of all everything is centered on a gorgeous 700 year old Irish castle. Then there's the legend of The Darkling Bride, a ghost who stirs up all kinds of trouble if the legends are true. Then there's the mu
Sara
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh

That my friends is the poorly rendered sound of a very happy and very satisfied reader. There's something truly, deeply enjoyable about a good, old fashioned gothic mystery. When its also brilliantly written and full of well crafted characters and delicious historical tidbits all the better!

I was familiar with author Laura Andersen's cracking good alternative history series The Boleyn Trilogy 3-Book Bundle: The Boleyn King, The Boleyn Deceit, The Boleyn Reckoning that took the "wha
Sophia
If you have the years on you or simply enjoy pulling some older dusty books off the library shelves, you might remember older gothic-flavored romantic suspenses by Mary Stewart or Victoria Holt or Daphne DuMaurier. I loved their writing that gave one a little chill, a harrowing adventure for a heroine, and a nice bit of legend or history altogether. I say all that to share the fact that The Darklling Bride set in the mountains of County Wicklow, Ireland belongs in that illustrious group.

The Dark
Karen KK
I received this from netgalley.com in exchange for a review.

Book lover and scholar Carragh Ryan is hired to take inventory of Deeprath Castle's historic library. But after meeting Aidan, the current Viscount Gallagher, and his enigmatic family, Carragh knows that her task will be more challenging than she’d thought.

Queue up the creepy gothic music? Nope. The ingredients were there, ancient creepy castle and the owners are a creepy family with dark, creepy secrets but the story barely held my in
Rachel
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Such a fun book to read! If you like Kate Morton's books, you will definitely like this one. This one is perfect to read on a rainy day and it is suspenseful as you try to figure out the mystery of who did it. I hope Andersen writes more books like this one!
Tracey
Jan 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars rounded to 4

The Gallagher family has called Deeprath Castle home for seven hundred years. Nestled in the Wicklow Mountains of Ireland, the estate is now slated to become a public trust, and book lover and scholar Carragh Ryan is hired to take inventory of its historic library.

I finished this book a couple of days ago and have been stewing over how to review. How do you review a book that you just didn’t connect to, but yet I couldn’t put it down?

While, very much lacking in character d
☆Dani☆ ☆Touch My Spine Book Reviews☆
This was a highly enjoyable dark murder mystery. When I first requested this egalley, I was drawn in by the gothic style elements that were present and what bibliophile doesn't like a book that involves books? Especially one set in an irish, gothic, and historical library setting. We also got to enjoy a gothic style romance with a lot of dark mysterious paranormal elements including the descriptions of an Irish Castle library and the rest of the 200 year old castle's secret rooms. This was quite ...more
Teresa
May 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've wanted to read this book for ages and I finally bit the bullet, paid the 'too high' price and enjoyed an absolutely brilliant read.
It's set in Ireland, which drew me in I have to say, as it's nice reading about places you know.
It's set in a castle, another plus as we have some beautiful ones over here.
It's set in three time lines which I adore.
I read these books for the historical parts as I don't read contemporary novels but the historical parts were less in evidence than I would have l
Cherie
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We have a winner! Anderson wrote the PERFECT Gothic - Mystery novel. I was so absorbed that I did not skim or skip a single word. If you loved Mary Stewart, Victoria Holt, or Daphne du Maurier, you will love this one too. The whole gothic atmosphere with suspense, and feelings of impending doom, and multiple mysteries interwoven was superb and so enjoyable. Excellent writing and story telling skills. I only wish more authors would go back to writing novels like this.
Dayle (the literary llama)
Definitely an early contender for one of my best books of the year! I freaking loved it. Longer review forthcoming...

*I received a free copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
MaryannC. Book Freak
3.5 Stars for me. A Gothicky read about the Gallagher family who have owned Deeprath Castle and the sinister secrets the castle seems to hold. After much contemplation Aidan Gallagher has come back home to sell his birth right (Deeprath Castle), his parents having been murdered in the castle when he was a child and the case never solved brings forth a new young detective wanting to solve the murders. In a connected storyline there was another mystery surrounding young bride, Jenny Gallagher who ...more
Susan Johnson

Deeprath Castle in the Wicklow Mountains near Glendalough has been in the Gallagher family since the 12th century. The current Viscount, Aidan, has decided to sign it over to the National Trust over everyone's protests. It holds bad memories for him as his parents were murdered there 23 years ago when he was 10 and this visit was the first time he has returned since then.

Young Carragh Ryan is hired to archive the extensive private library. An enigma herself, she is of Chinese descent
Caitlin Christensen
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
"And then... disaster. In the shape - as so often in men's recounting of history - a woman."

The Darkling Bride is a glorious romp through Irish myth and legend, and I really couldn't put it down. It's not my usual cup o' tea, so to speak, but I am so glad that I requested a review copy and had that request granted! I have no doubt it will be the best Adult fiction title I read this year. Who wouldn't be sucked in by a generations-old myth come to life in an ancient castle in the middle of nowhe
Kathleen
Nov 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: net-galley
This was such an enjoyable read! Telling the story of one family's history over several hundred years it included a wonderful castle that became a character of the book, amazing landscapes, interesting history, great characters, a bit of romance and a mystery that kept me guessing. It had all the components of a great book that I love and it definitely delivered a really great read. Many thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for providing with an advanced copy in exchange for an honest review.
Annette
Nov 19, 2017 rated it liked it
The very beginning of the book starts interesting. However, the more characters and settings are introduced the less interesting this story is.
Lady Wesley
This audiobook was lots of fun and kicked off my month of reading spooky stories. It's got everything you could want in a gothic story -- a crumbling Irish castle, ghosts, murders (or maybe suicides?), curses, a bit of romance. Yes, it can be hard to follow the time shifts, and yes, there are an awful lot of characters to keep up with. I didn't care. This book has a marvelous sense of place that kept me hooked.

I hope that Laura Anderson writes more books like this one, but for now I'm off to Tra
Jerrie (redwritinghood)
Good gothic mystery. It had a little bit of everything, but it all worked together well. It had fairy stories, a murder mystery, an old library, and some romance. Good narration on the audiobook.
Jenny Q
Mar 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I wanted to read this book as soon as I saw the description. A haunted castle? Irish folklore? A giant library? A dark and brooding viscount? Yes, please!

When Carragh Ryan interviews for a job inventorying an ancient family library, she has no idea what lies before her. From the snooty matriarch, Nessa, to the frosty heir, Aiden, and his bitter sister, Kyla, the Gallagher family seems anything but welcoming. Carragh determines to enjoy her time in the magnificent stained-glass window-lined libra
Jenea
Feb 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Darkling Brife is a gothic ghost story that spans several hundred years, all in a mysterious castle hidden in the Wicklow Mountains of Ireland. Deeprath Castle has been in the Gallagher family for over seven hundred years, and is now being given up to a public trust. The family has brought in a young woman to catalogue their extravagant family library.

From the beginning this pulled me into the mystery of the castle and into the secretive families world. The rumors have always circulated abou
G.
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was super excited about the premise, and then I was super disappointed by the execution. Story of my life. Two stars is me being generous.
Lisa
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery, netgalley
What an enjoyable, escapist read! For lovers of historical fiction, Gothic fiction, and/or mystery, this book has it all. Andersen aptly braids together three storylines from three different time periods (current, 1970's-1990's, 1880's) and casts the Wicklow area of Ireland (complete with castle and ghosts) as a broody character as well. I finished reading it in a big armchair, cup of tea in hand, as I listened to the rain pattering against the window -- a truly fitting setting for such a novel.
Aisling
Mar 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a terrific gothic mystery; lots of gorgeous atmosphere in picturesque Ireland, a centuries old family castle, squabbling family, mysterious deaths, a very light touch on the supernatural. The last 75-100 pages are unstoppable. The beginning is a bit slow but the pace at the end makes up for it. I have not read the author's award winning book (The Boleyn King) but I think I might now.
Kristin
I am a big fan of this author's alternative Tudor history series so I was eager to see how she did with more straight-forward historical fiction.

A very satisfying, escapist read with a bit of Gothic overtones as well as the parallel narrator structure reminiscent of Kate Morton's works.
Play Book Tag: The Darkling Bride, by Laura Andersen. 4 stars 3 12 Aug 04, 2019 07:16AM

• House of Shadows
  • The Phantom Tree
  • The Fate of Mercy Alban
  • The Vanished Bride of Northfield House
  • A Witch in Time
  • The Other Side of Midnight
  • A Stroke of Malice (Lady Darby Mystery, #8)
  • The House on the Hill
  • Lady Helena Investigates (Scott-De Quincy Mysteries, #1)
  • The Lost History of Dreams
  • The Tale of Halcyon Crane
  • The Indivisible and the Void (Age of Axion #1)
  • A Murderous Relation (Veronica Speedwell, #5)
  • The Widow of Rose House
  • Women of the Dunes
  • Bellewether
  • The Penniless Bride
  • Wildfell
Laura Andersen has one husband, four children, and a college degree in English that she puts to non-profitable use by reading everything she can lay her hands on. Books, shoes, and travel are her fiscal downfalls, which she justifies because all three ‘take you places.’ She loves the ocean (but not sand), forests (but not camping), good food (but not cooking), and shopping (there is no downside.) ...more