Start by marking “My Favorite Horror Story” as Want to Read:

My Favorite Horror Story

A veritable Who's Who of Horror, this wonderful new anthology features the biggest names in modern suspense-and the most terrifying tales ever told. Major authors like Stephen King, Peter Straub, and F. Paul Wilson were asked to choose and introduce the 15 classic stories that frightened and inspired them. The results, of course, are chilling.

Stories chosen and introduced
Published December 30th 2007 by MJF Books (first published October 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about My Favorite Horror Story, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Favorite Horror Story

Joey Marsilio
Sep 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A local strip mall has fallen on hard times in recent years. Several once-thriving businesses have shuttered, and the empty husks of the buildings that once housed them have been occupied by a steady stream of temporary occupants. Merchants will set up a ramshackle shop, putting up a banner outside in lieu of an actual sign, and after a few months they simple vanish, like a parasite that has sucked its host dry and moved on to the next warm-blooded organism.
It was during one of these brief seas
Robert
Apr 27, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There’s not a clinker in this entire collection of 15 horror stories chosen by such modern masters as Ramsey Campbell, Poppy Z. Bright, Peter Straub, and Joe R. Lansdale, among others. The tales range from the just-for-fun grue of Robert Bloch (represented with 2 titles, “The Animal Fair" and “Sweets to the Sweet”) to the subtle, thoughtful, slipping-through-cracks-in-reality scenario of Arthur Machen’s “Opening the Door” and the uncanny, allusive phantasms of Robert Aickman’s “The Inner Room.” ...more
Erin
Nov 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: short-stories
More like "My Favorite Horror Story That is in the Public Domain or that We Could Get the Rights To on the Cheap" - lots of old favorites here "Young Goodman Brown," "The Colour Out of Space" and a number of stories that I hadn't read, but, despite the enthusiastic introductions by some good writers, including my own beloved Stephen King, I can't say that I absolutely loved any of the stories or that any will stick with me for any period of time, the one possible exception is "The Human Chair" b ...more
SmarterLilac
Feb 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent and very scary collection—includes some pieces I don't think I would ever have heard of if not for this book (like the remarkable concluding story by Edogawa Rampo).
K.T. Katzmann
Nov 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An anthology of the best, picked by the best. If you're going to do some Lovecraft, make sure one is "The Color out of Space is Perfect." If you have to pick one M.R. James story, they nail the write one. I want to point out two gems I'd never heard of before picking this one up:

“The Distributor” by Richard Matheson

“The Human Chair” by Edogawa Rampo

Those are two underrated classics I've never heard anyone discuss. Just describing the plot of the second one squicked out a class of 8th graders I h
Giannis
:Η πρωτη ομοτιτλη ανθολογια που ειχα διαβασει με ειχε απογοητευσει αλλα αυτη μπορω να πω οτι ηταν αρκετα καλη,με δυνατα διηγηματα και καποια διαμαντακια.Δυο λογια για το καθε διηγημα:

Αφρα της Nancy Collins:Αντρας που λογω ενος παιδικου απωθημενου αποκτα εμμονη με τους ανθρωπινους σκελετους,ερωτευεται εναν!Καλο και αρκετα creepy..

Το ματι του Λυγκα του Thomas Liggotti:Πρωτος Λιγγοτι που διαβαζω ever.Γοτθικο υποβαθρο,ωραια γραφη και ωραιες εικονες,μας περιγραφει το ονειρο-εφιαλτη(;) καποιου(;)δεν π
Ethan Mann
May 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a compilation of 12 short horror stories whose authors were famous for their time, ranging from the 1920s to the 2000s. Although I cannot summarize in a short way all 12 of them, one of my favorite ones that I really enjoyed was “The Distributor” by Richard Matheson. This was actually from the horror causing persons perspective, Theodore, who on the outside was a very normal human, however, in the story, he ruptures the community by turning them against each other to the point of mu ...more
Christine McCann
Sep 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some great stories, with fabulous introductions from noted horror writers. A few stories didn't work for me, but overall this is an amazing introduction to scary short stories!
Jan
Dec 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These stories, a few familiar, but mostly not, were all excellent. The introductions to each story only added to the enjoyment.
Giannis
Feb 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Τελειωσα την ανθολογια "Η αγαπημενη μου ιστορια τρομου" οπου διαφοροι συγγραφεις του φανταστικου επιλεγουν τα αγαπημενα τους διηγηματα απο αλλους συναδελφους τους.Η συλλογη με αφησε πολυ ευχαριστημενο καθως περιειχε στην πλειοψηφια τους αρκετα καλα διηγηματα και 3-4 διαμαντακια.
Λιγα λογια για την καθε ιστορια:

Γλυκια απολαυση για ενα γλυκο πλασμα:Του Robert Bloch,μετριο διηγημα για ενα κοριτσακι που το καταπιεζει ο πατερας του και "μεταμορφωνεται" σε κατι σκοτεινο για να παρει την εκδικηση του.Κα
Jeroen Nouwens
Aug 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There's not a clunker in this anthology, but on the other hand readers may already be familiar with a few stories in here, most notably the one by Bierce, the two Lovecraft selections, the Hawthorne, and the Poe, all classics.

Contents:

Jason Sharp
Aug 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Edited by Mike Baker

Review by Jason Sharp @ Whitehaven Library

I was drawn to this book by Edogawa Rampo’s most famous short story “The Human Chair”. It is a horror story about a lonely man who builds a large and magnificent chair for some of his rich customers and decides to live inside it. He builds a compartment for himself inside the chair and falls in love with the various women that use his chair, cradling them as the sit or sleep a few inches away from him. It’s cre
James Shaskan
Jan 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun little anthology, better than most because authors are the best editors.

4 - 5s
"The Human Chair" by Edogawa Rampo, chosen by Harlan Ellison

3 - 3.5s
"The Father Thing" by Philip K Di
Jeremiah
Most of the stories in this anthology I had already read in other books. My favorites were "The Father-Thing" (1954) by Philip K. Dick, "The Colour Out of Space" (1927) by H.P. Lovecraft, and "Young Goodman Brown" (1835) by Nathaniel Hawthorne.
Julie
Feb 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a rule, I don't like scary stories. I don't even know how I finished this book, and I'll probably won't read it again. Ramsey Campbell's The Pattern scared the shit out of me. By the time I got to the last two pages, I literally had to put the book down and do something else, watch TV, read something funny. It took me around two days to pluck up the courage to touch the book and finally finish it. (I think I flung the book away and cried in a corner afterwards; it was really traumatizing.)

It'
PenneyDreadful
Jul 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Without question, this anthology is a treasure trove of high-quality horror literature from many of the genre's greatest masters. My only complaint with it, but not a very passionate one, is that it offered only three or four stories I hadn't read at least two or three times in the past. A few more surprises in the table of contents would have been nice, but for someone who is just beginning to embark on an exploration of fiction's darker realms, this book is worth three times its weight in chil ...more
Justin
Aug 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: short-stories, horror
Okay, I don't give anthologies or collections five stars, but this bargain find is what put the horror genre in my conscience. I wasn't much of a reader then, and I stopped reading for a while probably because I was busy being forced to read something for school. A year or so later when I picked it up to finish it, it started my stint as a horror and short fiction fan. I didn't enjoy some of them, such as Lovecraft's entries (not my kind of thing), but loved "Sweets to the Sweet," "The Distribut ...more
Jorge Gutierrez
Oct 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
it is a very outstanding book with lots of intresting stories. at first the introduction to the stories might seem not intresting but as soon as you start paying attention through halfway of the story you would want to read from the beggining just so you can catch every detail of each story. i recommend this book for those who are into mystery and horror stories along with some thriller stories .... so pay attention because it won't be a waste of time
Peggy
While getting current authors to introduce classics that inspired/frightened them adds some interest, the sad truth is that most of these stories/authors are not my favorites.

I understand their importance to the horror genre, and I respect the influence they have had over some of the authors who are my favorites, but I just don't enjoy reading them.
David Kempf
Oct 01, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great short stories every genre fan or aspiring reader should read. Many are sadly not read as often as they should be. Edogawa Rampo's "The Human Chair" is the best short story I have ever read in my entire life. Read it!
Lisa
Jun 26, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: after-college
I kept waiting for more. More horror. More excitement. It never came. On the upside, I enjoy short stories and this was easy reading.
Morgue Anne
Sep 29, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book 83/150
Iopipistrello
few of them were really interesting!got a bit bored!
thaddeus
Aug 28, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sides
tiramasu with lots of coffee and alcohol.
Joe
Mar 18, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009-books
I liked some of the stories, about half and half. This was the worst edited book I ever read. It was like looking at something my juniors would have typed
Joanie
Dec 31, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Famous horror authors pick and preface their favorite horror stories. Would be rated higher if I were a bigger fan of short stories, but I'm not, so it isn't.
Eric
May 04, 2011
Jessie Mher
Jan 17, 2015
Jennifer Toci
May 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Best New Horror 19 (The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror, #19)
  • Dark Masques
  • October Dreams: A Celebration of Halloween
  • Bleeding Shadows
  • The Museum of Horrors
  • Shock Rock, Volume I
Martin Harry Greenberg was an American academic and speculative fiction anthologist. In all, he compiled 1,298 anthologies and commissioned over 8,200 original short stories. He founded Tekno Books, a packager of more than 2000 published books. In addition, he was a co-founder of the Sci-Fi Channel.

For the 1950s anthologist and publisher of Gnome Press, see Martin Greenberg.