Start by marking “The Lost Causes” as Want to Read:
The Lost Causes

The Lost Causes

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  520 Ratings  ·  163 Reviews
Misfits. Outcasts. And the only ones who can find a killer.

They’re the last people you’d ask to help with anything, much less a murder investigation. The rich girl, the obsessive, the hypochondriac, the addict and the hot-tempered athlete—people think they’re beyond help. Lost causes. But where the world sees losers, the FBI sees its only hope.

With the help of a dangerous
Published September 5th 2017 by Kids Can Press

Pouting Always
May 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
A group of 5 teenagers are invited to take part in group therapy and are selected based on the lack of parental care. Sabrina, Gabby, Z, Justin and Andrew all have their own various dysfunctions ranging from depression to OCD to anger management. Everyone around them has seem to given up on them due to their lack of progress when given help with their problems. The group is secretly dosed with a serum by the FBI that helps mediate their symptoms as well as give them special powers such as premon ...more
Jasmine from How Useful It Is
About: The Lost Causes is a young adult thriller written by Alyssa Embree Schwartz and Jessica Koosed Etting. It will be published on 9/5/17 by KCP Loft, an imprint of Kids Can Press, also an imprint of Hatchette Book Group, 344 pages. The genres are young adult, fiction, and mystery/thriller. This book is intended for readers ages 14 to 18 and grades 9 to 12.

My Experience: I started reading The Lost Causes on 7/22/17 and finished it on 7/31/17. This book is a fantastic read! I love how the auth
Melissa Chung
May 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-books, owned
I received this book for free, for an honest review. Thank you to Kids Can Press and NetGalley.

I started the ebook while camping a few weeks ago. I had forgotten that I had also purchased the hardcover. The beginning really sucked me in and I was able to read 30% during my trip. 30% is huge for a camping trip! I'm giving this book 4 stars because not only did it hook me while on vacation, but also kept me reading and guessing till the end.

The Lost Causes is a YA mystery thriller about 5 high sch
Olivia (The Candid Cover)
The Lost Causes is such a unique book! It tells the story of a group of outcasts who gain psychic powers to try and solve a mystery. The characters are all so developed, and watching them become friends is heartwarming. I found the book to be a bit unbelievable at times, but it is still a great thriller.

This book has such an intriguing concept. Basically, the FBI recruits a group of teens who everyone has given up on and gives them mysterious powers. The teens work together with the FBI to solve
Jessica
Sep 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
All my reviews can be found at http://jessicasreadingroom.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Lost Causes is not one I would have picked up myself and I was glad I was sent an arc copy! This is the book any teenager (and even those older) will love. I wish I had been able to read this when I was a teenager.

The Lost Causes is about a group of misfit teens (similar to The Breakfast Club). They are teenagers who are considered ‘lost causes’ that no one seems to care about and they all have their own
Pia
* I received a free copy of this book thanks to Netgalley and the publisher. Regardless that, this is my honest opinion :)

3.5 Stars ⭐

The Lost Causes is a book with a really interesting concept: teens with psychological issues given superpowers in order to help the FBI to solve a crime. Looks great right? It is! I had some problems with it, but overall was really entertaining.

It turned out to be a page turner, I literally didn't want to put it down because I was so intrigued about what was go
Erin ღYour YA Readerღ
Jul 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
🍪🍪
1 Stars

This was a mess. I usually try and give a book a chance. However this book was terrible. I read this book about a year ago and I just got around to copying the review I wrote in my journal and adding it here.

Cons(start with the bad...)
I am honestly dumbfounded. From the constant language that was just so not needed to the plot. The characters were so unlikable and I just couldn't get into the story.

Pros:(end on a good note...)
I really think if both of the authors would have put a litt
Brenna Clark
May 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaways
I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway, and I was very excited by the premise. I think it's very X-Files meets the Breakfast Club. Five little teenage disappointments who are given special abilities by the FBI to solve a cold case. The characters were so easy to get attached to, and I loved the diversity of their powers! The twists and turns were endless, and kept me wanting to turn page after page!
Manon
Sep 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: physical, netgalley
*4.25 Stars*

I was provided an ARC via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This was the story of five teenagers that were marked out as “Lost Causes” by their family and other people close to them. They get to know each other and have to find a murderer.

I don’t want to say too much about this book because I didn’t remember the summary when I started reading it and I think that’s how it’s best.
I really enjoyed it.
The characters were interesting even if they seemed cliché at first.
The intrig
Vani
Jul 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-s
The Lost Causes has so many of my favorite tropes wrapped up in one book. I’m such a sucker for ensemble casts, like three or more main characters and I’m in. I love teen powers as long as it’s not “This one kid is the chosen one!” And I love friendship stories, especially unlikely friendships! This book doesn’t disappoint.

The Powers:

Are so fun! This to me has a Heroes vibe (before the show became unbearable), or even more accurately, Misfits (also before it became unbearable). I LOVED Misfits,
Ellimai
Jul 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, 2017, arc
*Received a copy from Netgalley*

I LOVED THIS BOOK!
I flew through this and I'm obsessed. I need a sequel! I'm still reeling from that last sentence revelation!!!
--------------------------------

What a book! You know when you’re reading and so engrossed in a book and so worried for the characters and so eager to find out what happens that you kind of forget how to breathe because your that excited and nervous? Yeah that happened to me with this book.

I fell in love with this book and the
Jessica
Jun 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Won in the First Reads giveaway.

Sometimes I felt some of the writing was awkward, but it was an addictive read. The characterization was really good, especially for Sabrina and Gabby. Sometimes when you have a bunch of characters they either seem interchangeable or are too archetype-ish, but they all were distinctive and realistic. The parents all seemed one dimensional, but I'm guessing they will be more developed in sequels if this is a series. The ghost scenes and Gabby's first (technically s
K.A. Wiggins
Nov 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Easy reading kids-with-powers thriller.

Disclaimer: reviewing eARC via NetGalley.

Pretty standard thriller fare; if you love kids with ESP, telekinesis etc., murder mysteries, shadowy government organizations/conspiracies etc. this may be right up your alley. In my opinion, it reads more like an older MG title than YA, with more of a distant narrative voice than currently in vogue. However, part of the premise is troubled teens getting powers, so MC drug abuse and casual sex (offscreen/nonexplic
Samantha (WLABB)
Sep 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs, paranormal, mystery, ya, 2017
Rating: 3.5 Stars

"Your school files indicate that you've been deemed lost causes by everyone around you. People have given up trying to help. Your teachers, your fellow students, even your parents."

I wasn't sure about this one at first, because the characters were sort of unlikable at the beginning of the story, but they grew on me and so did this book.

The FBI dosing a group of "throw-aways" with a serum, which gives them psychic powers is a rather compelling concept. After a little bit of a sl
Jim C
May 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
I would like to thank the authors as I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway.

Actual rating is 3.5 stars.

This book is about a murder that happens in a rural town. The FBI are investigating but are getting nowhere. They end up giving a serum to a handful of outcast children who develop powers. Basically, this book is about a team of special beings and imagine that being a television show on the CW network with all the teen drama.

This book entertained me throughout. It is a YA novel and it does rea
Michelle (Crazy Cat Lady)
description
I've hidden most things that are super spoiler-y, but may still divulge details better left unsaid to the reader, so proceed with caution.

Ready?

OK.

The jist is that a top secret drug has been synthesized by the FBI that, when ingested, bestows remarkable mental powers. The catch is that it has to be ingested by teens, because it requires a growing brain to properly take hold. As the story opens, one of the women who formulated it was killed and her stash of the serum was stolen, so the FBI decide
Casey
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2-star
This book was provided to me through NetGalley for an honest review.

Unfortunately, this book was a DNF at Chapter 11 (my kindle says 23%). I seriously wanted to like this book, from the description it sounded like it could've been really great. It just didn't work for me.

This book is about a group of high-school students with disorders being recruited by the FBI to help solve a murder. That sounds cool as hell. They have superpowers. Um, okay. The superpowers are given to them by a serum that m
Ashleigh
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
AHHHHHHHHHHHH I absolutely loved this book!

The Lost Causes follows a group of misfits who are thrown together to help the FBI solve a murder. Sabrina, Z, Gabby, Justin and Andrew also seem to be literal lost causes. With their numerous mental health issues, drug addictions, and family problems, it seems like everyone has given up on them. So when they all meet one day in a surprise group therapy, none of them could have guessed they would walk out of the room with special psychic abilities, or t
Myndi
Sep 08, 2017 rated it liked it
When I first read the blurb for The Lost Causes, I was determined to get my hands on it. Stories of “otherness” draw me in like a bear to honey. And the cover is really atmospheric, dark and gloomy and oh so promising. But despite really liking it (truly, I did), it also fell a little flat for me, probably because my expectations were set too high (by me, myself and I).

The story was good, but formulaic. Five troubled teenagers who have been written off by the world are forcibly injected with a s
Zoe
Jul 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this novel. It captured me from the start. The way everything entwined together was amazing. The relationships built between the characters. The doubt, the certainty and the theories were all too great! The ending was even better, I didn’t expect that at all I just hope I’m not left hanging on this cliff hanger forever
Sara (A Gingerly Review)
Sep 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, physical-2017
What an interesting concept for a story! I wanted to give more starts because this had an X-Files feel but I had an issue with one character and some parts were not believable. Other than that, it is a quick read.
Chantale Canadian Book Addict
Sep 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
I have never read a story like this before . I found this story unique and even though it started off a little slow I did actually enjoy this book .
ke-sha
Sep 23, 2017 marked it as to-read
Currently $3.82 On Kindle....
*Whispers* that's an oddly specific number Lol
Chris
Jul 26, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: ya, mystery
This is my very first netgalley read, and they'll probably never let me read another one. I'm so sad to say I didn't enjoy this book at all. It took me forever to finish. And I almost didn't. I really wanted to like it and I feel terrible giving it a bad review, but I must be honest. It was ridiculous. Nothing was believable in even the tiniest way, I found myself rolling my eyes over and over again. For so many reasons. Stupid bad guys that did stupid things and still got away with them even th ...more
Vivi
3.8 stars!

***I received a free copy from the Publisher, through NetGalley, in exchange for my honest review.***

The Lost Causes tells us the story of 5 teens: Sabrina, Gabby, Zelda (Z), Justin and Andrew. They all have some serious issues, going from mental ones, like depression, OCD, and hypochondria to other ones, like drug addition and anger management.

The 5 teens are loners, are having a hard time in school and are deemed "Lost causes", since nor the teachers, nor their own parents, really ca
Ashley

Thank you to NetGalley and Kids Can Press for letting me review an e-arc. Even though I received this book for free to review, all thoughts, opinions, and reviews are honest and my own.
This was great! I was hooked from the first page. I loved the concept of it. I love anything with powers, friendships, murders, and crime solving. This book was just fun for me.
It was kind of a mash-up of Criminal Minds, with a pinch of X-Men, and the fun of Scooby-Doo. It just really worked for me all around.
I en
Texan Holly Reads
Sep 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Lost Causes was not the book that I was expecting, it was so much better than you can ever imagine. The way that this book draws you into these five young kids who are deemed lost causes by their families and teachers was perfect for what this book was saying. You can't help but to feel their pain for what they had to go through to only to be taken for a ride after they drink a special potion that makes them have special powers to help with a murder case.

As you get more and more into this bo
Maggies Daisy
May 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Loved it. Well written and I feel that there should be a sequel to this novel. Reminded me of Harry Potter, the X-men and the Breakfast Club all rolled into one. Touched on many issues that teenagers deal with during those formative High School years. Will pass this book onto the public library as I usually do after reading my books.
Fran Soto
Apr 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I received this book as a giveaway and to be honest, I was kind of skeptical of it, but man was I wrong. I absolutely loved this book. it all started with a murder of someone named lily. I absolutely loved it and I am so glad I received this book. I CANNOT WAIT for the second one to come out because it ends in a cliffhanger that you wouldn't believe. this book is amazing and I recommend it to anyone who needs a good, faced paced book.
Sydney Dutton
Dec 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Slowly, the book begins with introducing us to our main characters Sabrina has a crippling addiction to drugs making her lie about her life. Everyone knows about the addition, but that doesn’t stop her from using other people to get the drugs she needs. Andrew, a kid who both does and doesn’t have illnesses. Since he was a little boy, he hasn’t made it to school much since every other day he feels as if he can’t breath or he is having a heart attack. Gabby is an OCD girl who lives her life in th ...more
Alyssa Embree Schwartz is one half of a writing team with Jessica Koosed Etting. The two met the first day of freshman year at the University of Southern California and instantly bonded over their obsessions with Brenda Walsh, Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves and The Babysitters Club books they read growing up. After spending a full year mourning the end of college, they began writing television and ...more