Start by marking “The Tiny Tale of Little Pea” as Want to Read:
The Tiny Tale of Little Pea

The Tiny Tale of Little Pea

When he was born, Little Pea was tiny. Teeny-tiny.

His clothes were hand sewn by his mother and his shoes were hand-me-down doll shoes. As he grew older, Little Pea enjoyed climbing tomato plants, driving around in his wind-up car and riding on the backs of grasshoppers. But then Little Pea started school. And he suddenly realized just how small he was. Too small for his c
Published September 5th 2017 by Kids Can Press (first published August 24th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about The Tiny Tale of Little Pea, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tiny Tale of Little Pea

[Shai] Bibliophage
The story of the Tiny Tale of The Little Pea reminds me of the stories of Thumbelina and Stuart Little. Despite the similarity, Davide Cali wrote this beautiful children's story to uplift kids — especially those who dreams of becoming an artist/illustrator someday — that indeed, one can never be too small to be a great artist. Furthermore, the cute illustrations drawn by the Sébastien Mourrain, that kids will definitely adore — contributes a lot that makes this story book very splendid.
Carla Johnson-Hicks
The Tiny Tale of Little Pea is the story of a tiny person who loves life as he is growing. When he begins school, he realizes that he is very small and there are a lot of things he can not do. The world is not very accommodating. Even though he has difficulty doing many things at school, he finds a job as an adult, lives in his own home that he has built and is happy. as it's a fun story about Little Pea who finds he's too small to do many things. He finds a job that suits him perfectly and seem ...more
Alekz K. (Bookupied)
Underbara illustrationer! Och riktigt fin och hoppfull berättelse.
"För man är aldrig för liten för att bli något stort"
Sense361
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An arc was provided generously in exchange of an honest review via Netgalley.*
I really liked this book. We see a really interesting life of a small person. It shows that everyone can find his place in this world and be happy. The book is very positive and has beautiful illustrations.
Jason Stanley
Sep 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
His size is not a hindrance. It is a gift.

But, when Little Pea goes to school for the first time, he realizes that his size may be a stumbling block. He is too small for his chair. Little Pea is too small to play the flute. And he is too small for gym class. Even one of his teachers ponder, “What will happen to Little Pea?”

But Little Pea does not let his size hold him back. He discovers a passion for drawing. This niche becomes the path which leads Little Pea into adulthood, where he is able to
Anna
Aug 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm certainly not the target audience but I found it just so adorable! There isn't much to say about the story as it's very short and simple, there's also not much text (perfect for children who are learning to read), but it's the art that makes "The Tiny Tale of Little Pea" stand out. The colour palette used for the cover caught my attention right away and the inside of the book is even prettier. Every single page is a work of art and cats "hidden" in various places are a very cute bonus. My fa ...more
Sabrina Kaye Fox
Little Pea is minuscule. He goes on grand adventures and doesn't think anything of his smallness until he starts school. He grows up (just a little bit), get a job. Drawing stamps! He loves drawing, and after all, you're never too small to draw.
V.A. Trafton
Sep 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
It doesn't matter what size you are, you can still grow up to be whatever your heart desires. Little pea proved just that by learning how to adapt regardless of his size. He found what works for him.
Kathleen
Jun 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Thank you to NetGalley for providing a digital ARC of this book.

The Tiny Tale of Little Pea by Davide Cali is a beautifully illustrated children's book with a meaningful message on the power of being different and the importance of being yourself. The illustrations are understated yet detailed, and very adorable. I think children will love looking at the detail in the pictures and be warmed by such an uplifting story. A terrific little book!
Stacy Renee  (LazyDayLit)
This review was originally shared on Lazy Day Literature

Little Pea was born teeny tiny. So tiny he could sleep in a match box. He had grand adventures and never even realized how small he really was until he started school. His desk was too big and he was too small to play with the other children so he spent his recess drawing. His teacher wondered what would become of him. He didn't grow much bigger as he got older, but he did build himself a cozy little home and even found the perfect job!

The
Kirsty
Aug 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle, august-2017
Sweet and whimsical, with rather darling illustrations, and a thoughtful storyline.
Christina Reid
Sep 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley-arcs
See review with pictures here
Sometimes he would float on a lily pad, where he would daydream and marvel at the size of the universe.

It wasn't until Little Pea started school that he realized he was too small.

This is an adorable picture book with an important message for children about respecting differences and believing in yourself - everyone has a niche just for them, you just have to find it! The story follows Little Pea as he grows up (but not very much) and faces various challenges because
Storywraps
Jun 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a delightful book and what a sweet, loveable main character. Little Pea is micro-size. His mother has to make his clothes, he sleeps in a matchbox and he drives a wind-up car. He grows older but remains mini-size.

He explores his world around him and loves to wrestle, rappel off his lego tower, read books, ride horseback (mmmm... not a real horse, would you believe a grasshopper substitute?) and swim in the frog pond. He is a very good swimmer by the way. He taught himself that skill at a ve
Debbie Smith
Sep 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was excited to read another picture book by one of my favorite publishers: Kids Can Press. Not all picture books meet everyone's criteria, but I find most of their books click with my need for some humor.

While the story of Little Pea is not necessarily a humorous one, the wonderful illustrations make you smile. As you might guess, The Tiny Tale of Little Pea is about a teeny-tiny baby. A baby who wears discarded doll shoes, learns to swim in the sink and enjoys tightrope walking over the wast
Stephanie (ITakePicturesOfBooks)
~Disclaimer~
I received this book for free from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. This in no way affected my opinion of the book, or the content of my review.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Tiny Tale of Little Pea is the story about a teeny tiny boy. Because of his size everything has to be customized for him. When he goes to school he realizes that he is too small for everything there. No one knew how he would be able to survive in the world.
Ronda
Jul 12, 2017 rated it liked it
At first read, I didn't particularly like the way this story made me feel. It bothered me that Little Pea didn't seem to have a very supportive school environment. It bothered me that no friends were ever mentioned. But then, I re-read the story. I focused on Little Pea's expressions. I looked at how the story ended. I realized that Little Pea wasn't sad, nor did he feel sorry for himself or seem to feel that he'd been short-changed (and no, I really didn't intend that to be a pun, but, well, th ...more
Nicole
The illustrations drawn by the Sébastien Mourrain, contributes a lot that makes this storybook as amazing as it is. The illustrations are packed full of details and the hidden 'cats' made them all the more interesting. There is an obvious color palette to the story, which only enhances the tale, making each page its own individual work of art.

Once again we are given a story based on the power of being different. For the age group, this is an important lesson and a concept that can be grasped by
Lizzie
May 30, 2017 rated it liked it
I enjoyed reading The Tiny Tale of Little Pea as it's a fun story about Little Pea who finds he's too small to do many things. He finds a job that suits him perfectly and seems to live happily ever after.

However, as a teacher who is constantly trying to encourage children to do whatever it is they enjoy regardless of size etc I feel this book doesn't support that. It left me with a feeling of if you're small there are lots of things you can't do so you shouldn't keep trying/settle for something
Stephanie Bange
Nov 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Originally issued in French, this story of what it is like to be a very small person (think Thumbelina or Tom Thumb). All of the adaptations you have to improvise, the creative solutions to problems you must solve. But, what of your future? Little Pea ends on a high note, overcoming all obstacles placed in his way. All told in this charming tale. Davide Cali is rapidly becoming one of my favorite authors for a different way to look at problems.

Illustrations were rendered in pencil crayon then co
Liz
Jul 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Little Pea is teeny-tiny. He’s so small that he can sleep in a match-box and climb on Lego structures. His life is wonderful, and his size doesn’t bother him—until he starts school. All of a sudden, he’s too small for everything. He’s too small for his chair, for his flute, for gym class, and for lunch.

Despite his experience at school, Little Pea learns how to live with his size in a world that is so much larger than he is. Kids will love seeing him drive around in wind-up cars!

The illustrations
Saretta
Sep 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, children
Recensione
Review

Little Pea fin dalla nascita è veramente minuscolo, ma non per questo non ha passato un'infanzia divertente: ha imparato a nuotare, ad arrampicarsi e ha esplorato il giardino dal suo minuto punto di vista.

Da grande però che lavoro potrà mai fare un omino così piccolo? Per fortuna Little Pea è molto creativo e non si scoraggia davanti alle difficoltà!

Il libretto è grazioso, pochissime le frasi, utili più come comento alle illustrazioni già esplicative.

Ringrazio l’editore per ave
Oksana
Nov 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Genre: Fiction
Grade Level: Pre-K - 2
Plot: The Tiny Tale of Little Pea is about a boy who was born very small. He loved to do everything that other kids did. Then when he went to school he found himself to be to small to do anything with the other kids. One thing that Little Pea did love was to draw. He than grew up and found a job where he could draw stamps.

This book stayed with me because I can see myself using this text when talking about being different. This could help younger children unde
Tara
I received this ARC from Netgalley for an honest review.
Little Pea is very small. He sleeps in a matchbox and his shoes are let over doll shoes. Little Pea doesn't realize that his height or lack of makes him different until he gets to school. He is too small for his desk, for his lunch and especially for gym class. He spends recess by himself drawing. His teacher worries about what he will do with his life. It turns out that his job is perfect for him and his size. A beautifully written book wi
Penny Olson
May 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, kids
I received an electronic copy of The Tiny Tale of Little Pea from Netgalley in return for an honest review. This is a cute story about a very tiny person who finds out, when he goes to school, that the world is not very inclusive of very small people. He does in the end find a satisfying role in the world.
The illustrations are great and I really liked the ending. In some ways Little Pea reminded my of Stuart Little.
Emily Lynne
Sep 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways
I received a copy of this book through the Goodreads Giveaway program in exchange for an honest review. This is a fun, short, inspiring story of Little Pea, a boy who doesn't let his size get in the way of doing the things he wants. With beautiful illustrations and simple sentences, this is a perfect book for beginner readers but also a great motivational tale for little ones in general! Will definitely be sharing with the "Little Peas" in my life.
Barbra
Sep 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Little Pea is teeny tiny but he makes it work. Everything small becomes an adventure, but when he goes to school he realizes everyone and everything else is big. Being a positive guy he presses on and soon finds a special career just suited for him. A wonderful story about persistence, optimism, and perseverance and how there is a place for everyone.
Nikkie Sierra
Sep 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Little Pea is a tiny little boy in a big world, but he never lets that get him down. Little Pea makes the best of his world in this beautiful whimsical tale of perseverance. The illustrations are delightful and create a world that any child would enjoy. I received this book as an ARC in return for an honest review.
Sara Weather
Aug 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
(received from netgalley for review)

Pub: 9/5/17

Like: Ending surprised me (I thought this is what is going to happen, then this will happen, after that it will end like this), art, this is what a person who is the size of Thumbelina would go through (was surprised the cat did not try to pick with him)
Marcia
Oct 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I am a sucker for stories with little characters (Thumbelina, Inchkin, the Littles) and this one is adorable. Whimsical illustrations and a focus on all that Little Pea can do, rather than can't. Sweet!
Patricia Marshall eckel
Aug 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The thing that struck me with this book was its beautiful cover. I had to read it just to see the other illustrations. However, after reading it with my children, I found that it is not only a book with gorgeous art inside, the meaning behind the story is also so uplifting. It is a good way to teach children about perseverance in a troubled world and that no matter what obstacles one must overcome, the chances are good that you will find your place in life. For the record, my children also loved ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Singing in the Rain
  • The Sheep Who Hatched an Egg
  • Old Hat
  • Edmund Unravels
  • Abracadabra, It's Spring!
  • The Green Bath
  • Home Sweet Home
  • Morgen, Findus, wird's was geben
  • Still a Gorilla!
  • Oh No, Astro!
Davide Cali (born 1972) is a Swiss-born Italian writer of picture books and graphic novels, primarily for children and young adults. He lives in Italy. His work has been published in twenty-five countries and translated into many languages.