Start by marking “The Mysterious Island (The Secrets of Droon, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Mysterious Island (The Secrets of Droon, #3)

The Mysterious Island (The Secrets of Droon #3)

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  1,373 Ratings  ·  50 Reviews
In the third Droon adventure, Eric, Neal and Julie find themselves shipwrecked on a creepy and mysterious island, and need some quick thinking and magical help to get themselves out of the situation.
Published August 1st 1999 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The Mysterious Island, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mysterious Island

Ahmad Sharabiani
The Mysterious Island (The Secrets of Droon #3), Tony Abbott, Tim Jessell (Illustrator)
The Secrets of Droon is a fantasy book series by Tony Abbott aimed at elementary school-age children. The first book, The Hidden Stairs and the Magic Carpet was published on June 1, 1999. On October 1, 2010, the final book of the series: The Final Quest was released, concluding its eleven-year run. The series consisting of 44 books (including Special Editions) are still published. The series was named by the A
Liana
Jul 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
I had my fair share of chuckles reading book 3 of The Secrets of Droon! I thought the dialog between the three main characters was more snappy and goofy compared to the other two, as well as their (heroic?) scenes. I had to laugh when Neal got turned into a bug, and how all the other bugs went squealing after him. Other than that, this book is very similar to the other books. A less serious reader will probably prefer the first book in the series, which stands alone really well.~
Patrick Polster
Nov 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great starter book series for independent reading

Great series for boys and girls. All of my kids started the
Their Independent reading with this series. I recommend highly!
Sherica
Jun 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Mediocre
Pamela
SUMMARY: Eric, Neal, and Julie are summoned back to Droon in an attempt to hide the Red Eye of Dawn so Lord Sparr cannot find and use it. But Lord Sparr finds them and with the help of Demither, Queen of the Oceans, he sinks their boat and shipwreaks them on an island with no hope to escape.

This is book #3 in The Secrets of Droon series (which must be read in order). The story gets better with each additional volume. The book is only 85 pages and the fast-paced action, large font, and many illus
Sarah Sammis
Nov 03, 2007 rated it it was ok
Shelves: released
The Mysterious Island (Secrets of Droon 3): 11/20/07
The Secrets of Droon series of books began in 1999 with The Hidden Stairs and the Magic Carpet. I happened to have a copy of the third in the series, The Mysterious Island, which I read before donating it to the BookCrossing literacy train.

The series comes highly recommended at Amazon but I found the one book I read to be nothing special. There are numerous series of books where children from present day get to travel to far away fantasy lands.
Books Kids Like
Once again, Keeah has possession of the magical red jewel, and Lord Sparr is determined to get it back. While Eric, Neal, and Julie sail with Princess Keeah on her ship, the Jaffa Wind, Sparr flies one of his lizard-like groggles right on to the ship. Sparr and Galen battle each other for the jewel. Finally, a frustrated Sparr calls upon Demither who appears as a gigantic sea serpent. In this form, she destroys the Jaffa Wind and sends the jewel into the sea. Eric, Neal, Julie, and Keeah find th ...more
Jeremy
Dec 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
I've decided to read The Secrets of Droon series entirely for Christmas since i've been feeling a bit nostalgic. I want to be able to live a bit of the magic of being a kid and what beeter to help than this incredible series. I know that this series is for young kids but i feel it will still be great after all these years. The third book introduces us to new settings and continues with its simple and fast plot. In this book the action starts early on. Basically the first three books have centere ...more
Readingisfuntodo
Feb 18, 2009 rated it really liked it
Another adventure that is easy to read and hard to put down. What is on the Mysterious Island? You have to read this and find out. It is a great read a loud book for those with children. Always something exciting for the Children who are called to Droon. Princess Keah had told them once as long as there is magic she would be able to reach the in the "Upstairs world" Lord Sparr is up to his evil and the children are there forming friends and helping Princess Keah get from Lord Sparr the things he ...more
Oliver
Aug 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Awesome!! Eric, Julie and Neal were in a thunderstorm. In the thunderstorm, their soccer ball glowed and made a globe map of Droon. They went down the magical steps to the world of Droon. The stairs led them over an ocean. They saw Keeah's, Max's and Galen's ship. They have the Red Eye Jewel. Lord Sparr attacks them to get the Red Eye. Keeah's ship breaks because of a witch named Demither that was turned into a sea serpent. They have to not let Lord Sparr have the Red Eye. Find out what happens ...more
Julie Suzanne
Sep 30, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: 2nd & 3rd grade children to get started in a series
Recommended to Julie by: Alida recommended the series
The third book in a fantasy series that my son loves, this one we listened to on cd. It took 35 minutes to hear the whole book! That's how short and sweet these books are--all adventure, all fantasy, no character development or discussion-worthy moments--a cheap thrill.

I still think that 4th grade is too old for this, and I suspect that my son is moving out of this series already after this one (more interested in Percy Jackson right now).
Jonah
Jan 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It is about when 3 kids see a soccer ball and then one of the kids sees it change into a scary planet. They get on a boat and they see a sea serpent and it chases them. One of them has a bow and arrow and shoots several times until he finally gets it. The best part was when they killed the sea serpent. My friends should read it because it is so cool!
Susan
Jun 22, 2008 rated it liked it
I'm reading these books to my son, who had read some of them at school and wanted to re-read/read more. I have to say, I'm finding them far more enjoyable than the Magic Treehouse books, which, in spite of their passing on some interesting historical facts, began to feel pretty inane to me after about a dozen.
Kirsten Simkiss
Apr 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
While I love this series, this isn't the best book of the series. It continues along the lines of the glowing red Eye Sparr has been so intent on stealing. While they do some interesting things to the kids to complete their quest, it's not as inventive as some of the other books in the series.
Nicole Luiken
Reading this series to my daughter. Cool setting with lots of magic and action, but except for Neal I'm having trouble telling the characters apart. It seems almost random whether a line of dialogue is assigned to Eric, Julie, Max or Keeah.
Tara
Feb 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017-books
I really like Droon books. They're always funny and exciting. It's a great adventure series for kids.
Angela
Apr 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Another good book in the series. My girls really love reading these books which make them enjoyable for the whole family. I almost wish it was one big book so I could just read the whole thing at once!
Shimmywith4
Nov 12, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: own-it
Another good adventure in Droon
A.K. Klemm
Sep 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Read this aloud to kiddo. She's already started book four on audio, giving my voice a rest.
Gabriela
it was a good book
Miss Ryoko
Mar 05, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s-lit
So far, out of the first three books, this one has been the best and most exciting. Still written very plainly, but my students loved it.
Anna
One of the kid's favorites in this series.
Guided Reading Level O
Julia Margaret
Jan 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Shayna
Recommended to Julia by: myself
Shelves: adventure
It is a good book, and I look forward to reading more of this series.
Ian
Apr 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
It was awesome! I loved it! I can't wait for the next book!!!!!!!!!
Scott Williams
a664473d-ebfc-476c-afd6-295b8ff172f0
Andrew
Sep 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Children and Parents
Recommended to Andrew by: Kaiden, my son
Same as the others, these books have imaginative characters which children enjoy reading about. My 7 year old has read 35 books so far in this series, and can't wait for the next one.
Meredith
Feb 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Very good, looking forward to reading the next one.
Samira
Jul 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
i just can say i love these books,i spent three years reading these amazing and incredible books. i lived with them
Eliza
Jan 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Droon is a great series for kids. An easy reading level with fun adventures and great illustrations that will capture their imaginations.
  • The Sporty Sprite (Pixie Tricks, #6)
  • Knight for a Day (Dragon Slayers' Academy, #5)
  • March Of The Ankylosaurus (Dinosaur Cove, #3)
  • The Littles Go Exploring
  • The Forging of the Blade (Lowthar's Blade, #1)
  • Hugo Pepper (Far-Flung Adventures, #3)
  • Night of the New Magicians (Magic Tree House, #35)
  • Sepron The Sea Serpent (Beast Quest, #2)
  • Mrs. Jeepers' Monster Class Trip (The Adventures Of The Bailey School Kids Super Special, #5)
  • The Bald Bandit (A to Z Mysteries, #2)
Tony Abbott (born 1952) is an American author of children's books. His most popular work is the book series The Secrets of Droon, which includes over 40 books. He has sold over 12 million copies of his books and they have been translated into several other languages, including Italian, Spanish, Korean, French, Japanese, Polish, Turkish, and Russian. He has also written the bestseller "Firegirl".
Ab
More about Tony Abbott

The Secrets of Droon (1 - 10 of 44 books)
  • The Hidden Stairs and the Magic Carpet (The Secrets of Droon, #1)
  • Journey to the Volcano Palace (The Secrets of Droon, #2)
  • City in the Clouds (The Secrets of Droon, #4)
  • The Great Ice Battle (The Secrets of Droon, #5)
  • The Sleeping Giant of Goll (The Secrets of Droon, #6)
  • Into the Land of the Lost (The Secrets of Droon, #7)
  • The Golden Wasp (The Secrets of Droon, #8)
  • The Tower of the Elf King (The Secrets of Droon, #9)
  • Quest for the Queen (The Secrets of Droon, #10)
  • The Hawk Bandits of Tarkoom (The Secrets of Droon, #11)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• The Lathe of Heaven
    $7.99 $3.99
  • Lumière (The Illumination Paradox, #1)
  • Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters
  • Pride and Prejudice and Zombies
    $9.99 $1.99
  • King of Thieves
  • Area 51 (Area 51, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Earth Strike (Star Carrier, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Parable of the Sower (Earthseed)
    $17.99 $2.99
  • The Mission (Area 51, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Mongoliad (The Mongoliad Cycle Book 1)
  • The Fourteenth Goldfish
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Extinction Point (Extinction Point, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Fate of Perfection (Finding Paradise #1)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • Gates of Thread and Stone (Gates of Thread and Stone #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Earth & Sky (Earth & Sky, #1)
  • After On: A Novel of Silicon Valley
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Sphinx (Area 51, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Atopia Chronicles (Atopia, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Rewinder (Rewinder Series Book 1)
  • Master of Formalities
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Grail (Area 51, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Falconer (The Falconer, #1)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • The Eighth Guardian (Annum Guard, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Excalibur (Area 51, #6)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Into the Black (Odyssey One, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fate of Devotion (Finding Paradise, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Points of Impact (Frontlines #6)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Shadows (The Fianna Trilogy, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Dystopia Chronicles (Atopia, #2)
  • The Guardian Herd: Starfire
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Infinite (Gates of Thread and Stone #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Clay's Ark (The Patternist Series)
  • The Iron Dragon's Daughter
  • Once Was a Time
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Broken Sword
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Mind of My Mind (The Patternist Series)
  • Afterlife
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Truth (Area 51, #7)
  • The Bird Eater