Start by marking “Highland Dragon Rebel (Dawn of the Highland Dragon, #2)” as Want to Read:
Highland Dragon Rebel (Dawn of the Highland Dragon, #2)

Highland Dragon Rebel

(Dawn of the Highland Dragon #2)

By wing, by claw
By fire, by death
So long as dragons rule the skies, Scotland will forever be free.

After a long and bloody war, Scotland has finally won its independence. But Highland dragon Moiread MacAlasdair knows peace balances on the edge of a blade, and she will do anything to keep her homeland from falling to English control.

Even if that means escorting a powerful
Mass Market Paperback, 352 pages
Published November 7th 2017 by Sourcebooks Casablanca

To ask other readers questions about Highland Dragon Rebel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Highland Dragon Rebel

Cassandra
Nov 25, 2017 rated it liked it
My Thoughts - 3 out of 5 Unicorns - I liked it!!!
***I choose what I read and review based on what intrigues me!! Yes, I got a review copy of this book, but no one tells me what to think, feel, or write about any book!

The cover looks fierce! I like the warrior woman!

This is the 2nd book in the series, but the first book of Isabel’s that I have read. This is for adults only due to the violence and steamy content.

I liked this book though in the beginning I did get lost because this is a new world
Umaiya ❄️Ramblings of a Scattered Mind❄️

DNF @ 20.6%

It was so slooooow!

Had it been slow romance wise, I'd have dealt with it but it was the plot that moved at a sloth's pace and enough is enough.
Gaele
Different in pacing than the first in the series, this is Moiread’s story – a dragon shifter with some 300 years behind her, she’s a member of the MacAlasdair clan, although they are often off on their own adventures, and rarely together. In the 14th century, Scotland and Wales are under near-constant siege from the English, but a small break in hostilities between the Scots and the English has just started with the Treaty of Edinburgh-Northampton after the end of the first war for Scotland’s in ...more
Cardyn Brooks
With her first title of No Proper Lady, I.C. set the tone for her future stories that feature female characters who defy the constraints of their time and gender. Cooper's Dawn of the Highland Dragon series takes that theme and magnifies it exponentially. First, with Sofia and Cathal's story in Highland Dragon Warrior.

And now with Moiread and Madoc in Highland Dragon Rebel where magic is treated as a discipline like any other science. The author's integration of religious faith and pagan rites
Coral
Sep 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
As is the same with the first book of the series, the plot is straight-forward as well.. Madoc travels with Moiread on a perilous journey being targetted by an unknown enemy. The story details their travels from Scotland to Wales through England just after the war between Scotland and England ended.

Since the plot is simple, what would have elevated the story more is if the budding romance between the two main characters were exciting. But alas, it was just average. I did find their dithering ove
Sharyn
This story, set in 1300s Scotland, England and Wales, started off a bit slowly but once Madoc, the magician, and Moiread, a female warrior and dragon shifter, set off on their road trip/quest, it really picks up. Madoc has asked the MacAlasdairs, one of their allies, for a bodyguard while he tries to complete a series of magical incantations throughout the lands to build strong magical alliances for his people and allies. Moiread, who just came back from war, is volunteered by her father.

Throug
Robin
good book. A good mix of romance and adventure, dragons and magic. Good characters and I liked the plot. What more could you want.
Claire
I didn't love as much as book 1, but still a solidly enjoyable read!

Our main character heroine is 1) a dragon shifter, 2) a soldier, 3) pragmatic, 4) the love interest's bodyguard, 5) older (like a hundred years old? middle-aged even in dragon years), 6) bi, 7) plainspoken, and 8) angst-free.

Our hero love interest is 1) also practical, 2) highly respectful and appreciative of everything about the heroine, 3) smart and skilled in doing his magic thing, 4) also older (also basically middle-aged
Marlene
Oct 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Originally published at Reading Reality

I have a t-shirt that says, “I’m done adulting, let’s be Dragons!”

Moiread MacAlasdair has been an adult for three centuries, but she still gets to be a dragon. Putting it another way, Moiread has lived three centuries because she’s a dragon. A dragon shifter, at least. And that’s a pretty awesome thing to be.

But being a dragon, and a member of the MacAlasdair clan of dragon-shifters, means that Moiread, along with the rest of her family, spends a lot of tim
Eva Millien
Oct 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Release Day 4 STAR Review! Highland Dragon Rebel (Dawn of the Highland Dragon #2) Isabel Cooper

Madoc of Avandos is on a journey to cement alliances. Targeted by an assassin, he needs a companion who can fight. When dragon shifter Moiread MacAlasdair returns from war, he knows she's the best woman for the job. Duty and political strength compel Moiread to agree, but when they cross into the otherworld and Madoc's life is threatened, Moiread jumps into protection mode-and will do whatever it ta
Glittergirl
Nov 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, paranormal
This is the second book in is series that is following the MacAlasdair dragon shifter family. This story is about warrior daughter Moiread. She's fresh back from the war for Scottish independence. Her father calls her to be a bodyguard for an ally to the family, Madoc of Arandos. We never really find out what Madoc is besides human but he's a spellcaster. His mission is to cement alliances against the British and someone doesn't want him to accomplish that mission. He has assassin's hunting him ...more
Caroline
Nov 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017, arcs, netgalley
Dragon shifter Moiread MacAlasdair returns from war only to find that she is to be sent away from her family again to act as protection for Madoc of Avandos. However, when both Madoc and Moiread give into their mutual attraction, sparks and danger fly.

Verdict: This is the 2nd book in the Highland Dragon Rebel series. Okay, so admittedly, I have not read the one that came before, and it might have impacted how much I liked this one -- meaning: I really had a hard time getting into it and was conf
Claire
I've not read much historical romance set in this time period, but it was a fun change of pace. I'm not sure I'd be so into without an unusual heroine though - warrior woman who can change into a dragon is probably going to have more adventures than dutiful daughter of a local lord. I think having an engaging heroine was important for this book, since it's pretty heavy on the external conflict and the larger plot, and the romance is very subtle and develops slowly in the background.

Even though
Hayley Shaver
I loved this book. After a horrible war, Scotland has won its independence. But the dragon Moiread MacAlasdair knows peace is fragile and will do anything to keep Scotland from English control. That in mind, she finds herself going with Madoc of Avandos to cement alliances against the English. Powerful men plan to kill him and see him fail but Madoc and Moiread fight their way toward the plan's fruition. Will their strength of arm, wit, and magic be enough to succeed? Or will their foe be too po ...more
A Klue
So, folks, I read for romance. This book lured me out of my usual genres, but I just wasn't getting into the mostly just traveling together and waiting for something meaningful to develop between this main couple. By Chapter 18, I called it quits. Being a library copy, I didn't have money to lose but valuable reading time better spent on another book. Quite a shame since this female dragon shifter warrior was intriguing to me.

(Not an ARC review.)
Patsy Gazaleh
Feb 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have discovered a new favorite author! This story was very very entertaining. It had it all! History, mythology, fairies, dragons, intrigue, romance, feminism. The story is well written and draws you in completely and will not let you put it down until it ends. I can't wait to read more of her books. She reminds me of Sherilyn Kenyon some, but her stories are unique. A very good read!
Nibrock
Sep 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dragon-shifters
A fun and action packed story. Two characters who don't believe they have anything to offer the other (especially when other matches are suggested). Ended abruptly. Ended well, but suddenly (possibly because there were 30+ pages of previews at the back of the book)...
Moose
Aug 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE Moiread and Madoc's road trip attempt at creating an alternate timeline where Wales isn't completely subsumed by England. Really great to read characters who have histories and are mature enough to be aware of and practical about political realities.
Kathy Randall
Sep 26, 2018 rated it liked it
It’s a quest/romance/roadtrip. Where the woman slays the beast. Worth the ride.
Melissa
Mar 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Loved the lead female - strong, witty, and capable of saving the day. The road trip quest was interesting to follow - fun incidents along the way shopping both the quest and the romance.
Joanie
Mar 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This story was fascinating. Loved the story line, it was full of fantasy, love, intrigue and it held my interest! I can’t wait to read book three. Although I’ll be sad to have the story end!
kathy kemmerer
Nov 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love these books!

Moiread and Madoc set on a adventure to protect their beloved land and people! Lots of adventure and action. Great story and a happy ever after too!💞🐲
Gloriamarie
May 26, 2018 rated it did not like it
If I am going to read a book about dragon shapeshifters, I expect there to be some shape-shifting and dragons flying high. These are all basically the same story, only names changed.
Sandy Frediani
Apr 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was good and I enjoyed it. Good storyline, well developed characters, everything well fleshed out - all make for a good read.
Sally
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
History, dragons, a good man and a feisty heroine. I really enjoyed this book a found it not only interesting, exciting and with a touching love story, but great fun to read. I found myself thinking about it when unable to read. To me, that’s a good sign of a great read.
Lindsey
Interesting idea-a clan of Scottish highlanders have the ability to become dragons through a magical element in their blood. That fantasy element added some interesting excitement in an otherwise standard romance. Knowing it was a romance, the outcome was expected but the adventures along the way and the characters kept my interest along the way. I liked this enough to check another Highland Dragon book out from the library soon after finishing this one.
Caitlin
Jun 28, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kisswads
I struggled a lot to finish this book because even though the characters were quite enjoyable I didn't quite buy into the stakes of the plot/narrative.

Extended commentary on this series added later:

Here's the thing about these books. if you were to describe them on paper and all the great things they have I would be so excited, and they do elevate what seems like a joke premise (Highland Dragons) but... but... they have a stakes problem, and a tension problem, and generally when I read them I en
Rosemary
Aug 16, 2017
Darcy
Aug 21, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Kingston 691 (Cyborgs: Mankind Redefined, #2)
  • Crossing Hathaway
  • The Viking Wants Forever
  • Skies of Steel (The Ether Chronicles, #3)
  • Day by Night
  • The Syn-En Solution(Sys-En,#1)
  • The Chosen (The Legend Chronicles, #3)
  • Pembroke Park
  • Hamilton's Battalion: A Trio of Romances
  • Wicked Nights With a Proper Lady (Dangerous Rogues, #1)
  • Assassins in Love (Assassins Guild, #1)
  • Princeless, Vol. 5: Make Yourself
  • Unmasked by the Marquess (Regency Imposters, #1)
  • Sinfully Ever After (Book Club Belles Society, #2)
  • Cards & Caravans (Gaslight Chronicles, #5)
  • True Pretenses (Lively St. Lemeston Book 2)
  • Anywhere in Time (Magic of Time Book 2)
  • His Convenient Husband (Love and Sports, #1)
Isabel Cooper lives in Boston, Massachusetts with her boyfriend and a houseplant she's managed to keep alive for over a year now—a personal best. By day, she's a mild-mannered editor at a legal publishing company. By night, she's really quite a geek: polyhedral dice, video games, and everything. She only travels through time the normal direction, and has never fought any kind of demon, unless you ...more

Dawn of the Highland Dragon (3 books)
  • Highland Dragon Warrior (Dawn of the Highland Warrior, #1)
  • Highland Dragon Master (Dawn of the Highland Dragon, #3)