Start by marking “Homicide for the Holidays (Viv and Charlie Mystery, #2)” as Want to Read:
Homicide for the Holidays (Viv and Charlie Mystery, #2)

Homicide for the Holidays

(Viv and Charlie Mystery #2)

Deck the halls with suspicious deaths…

A hidden key that opens a drawer locked for the past eight years, a mysterious envelope filled with cash, and a threatening note... none of this is what rising radio star Vivian Witchell expects to find in her late father’s office. But when Vivian stumbles into trouble, she hardly knows how steer herself back to safety. With the handso
Published October 10th 2017 by Sourcebooks Landmark (first published October 3rd 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Homicide for the Holidays, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Homicide for the Holidays

Veronica
Jan 16, 2018 rated it really liked it

Vivian Witchell's star has been on the rise at WCHI radio in the two months since the first book in this charming series. She's got a lead role in the station's most popular radio serial and her picture regularly appears in the entertainment papers, usually in connection with her dashing male co-star, Graham Yarborough. It's a fake relationship drummed up by the publicity department but of course the general public doesn't know this. Neither does Charlie Haverman, the P.I. who made Viv
Lynn
Dec 02, 2017 rated it liked it
This was fun, and pretty much what I expected from the title: A light, enjoyable read with a plot that never lagged, set at an interesting point in the history of Chicago. It was fun, too, to read about places that are still around, particularly the Aragon Ballroom, where I’ve been many times - though of course it really was a ballroom at that point. I’ll probably read the next in the series.
Cathy Daniel
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. Maybe not quite as much as the first but still 5 star. I do hope to see more growth from Vivian in the next book. It's ended with her telling a non truth so she is still not being very mature to Charlie (who's too good for her!) I will be frustrated if she doesn't grow up by book 3!
Elaine
Dec 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
I had to pick this book up and see what it was about since it takes place during the holidays and that is my favorite time of the year. And the story was good. The author did a good job of taking me back to the time when this took place. I felt like I was watching an old black and white movie. It was great! I would read another book in this series, for sure!
Chris Leuchtenburg
Nov 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Although the milieu of 1930's radioland is unusual, this is really just a run of the mill mystery with the usual soupcon of romance. But after reading a book about African American history (a continuing tragedy), reading a brutal Dennis Lehane mystery recommended by a misguided friend, and watching and reading the news (more depressing every day), it was exactly what I was in the mood for. Light, sweet, and satisfying.
Rosemary Miller
Dec 28, 2017 rated it liked it
A little slow moving but good historical background of the 30's.
Marlea
Feb 07, 2018 rated it liked it
I really like the characters in this series, most of the time. Vivian sometimes grates on me with her childishness, but I really enjoy all of the others. I also think the author does a really great job creating imagery, making for a pleasant read.

I have a few gripes with this book:

1. I wish she hadn't used Al Capone. Everything about this series feels fun and vintage and using a well known mobster cheapened it for me. I can't really pinpoint why, but it did.

2. The size of the book is terrible.
Susan
Radio actress Vivian discovers a hidden secret about her long-deceased father. She hires Charlie, the private detective whom she's been falling in love with, to help her investigate. As she gets closer to the truth about her father, she also finds that she's in danger. I wish Honigford hadn't told so much about the solution to number 1 of this series--there are people who don't read series in order, and who might feel discouraged from reading the first one, which I also enjoyed.
Cheri Ruble
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Homicide for the Holidays is a delightful although sometimes wistful holiday mystery set in the Chicago radio theater world at the end of 1938, amidst the uneasiness of world events prior to World War II and following the fast rise and fall of Al Capone. Vivian Witchell is a rising radio star, determined to make a life and career for herself while forging through a variety of challenges and a fledgling relationship, all of which she meets head-on with various degrees of success. Cheryl Honigford ...more
Barbara
Nov 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was quite a fun read. Vivien Witchell is now the star of "The Darkness Knows"--a somewhat romantic mystery soap opera. (As in the author's first book of the same name.) It's Christmas and Viv is reliving the melancholy memories of her father's death several years before. She explores her father's death, finds a key to a locked door and discovers a lot of cash and mysterious scribbles! The investigation begins. Viv investigates the cash and whether or not it is connected with her father's de ...more
Mayda
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Secrets and mysteries seen to follow Vivian and she just can’t let them go. When she accidentally finds a hidden key in her deceased father’s study, she sets in motion a chain of events that will affect her family forever. Vivian is torn is several directions as she deals with her budding career, a shame romance with her co-star, a desired relationship with her absent private detective friend, and her constant battle for independence from her mother. Her father was the bright star in her life, a ...more
Shelley
Oct 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Viv stumbles onto a secret her dead father kept for years, and it's putting her life in danger. Once again, the details of 1938 Chicago are fantastic--it makes me feel like I'm there. And because I know the city, I could picture all the cross-streets mentioned and imagine what it was like 80 years ago. It's mostly the same buildings, just different occupants.

The mystery was interesting because the murders were almost a decade earlier, but I enjoyed the twists and turns. I wish Viv had been more
Grey853
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Set during the late 30s, right before WWII, Vivian is home for the holidays. She's feeling very melancholy and missing her father who passed eight years before. When she finds a hidden desk key in his study, she also discovers an envelop of cash and a threatening note in his desk drawer. That sends her on a very dangerous trail as she tries to figure out who her father really was.

I truly enjoyed Vivian and this book filled with varied characters. Honigford does an excellent job of detailing a c
Barb Martin
Jun 19, 2018 rated it liked it
There are no fresh bodies in this second installment of novels featuring Vivian, screamer-extraordinaire of "The Darkness Knows" fame. However, we do have a fresh(ish) mystery to solve.

Warm, fuzzy feelings at Christmas of her deceased father prompt Viv to enter his study where she finds something strange. Was her father not the man she thought he was? Is her kid brother's girlfriend a total witch? Who is that guy following her?

Although not as charming as the first book, this was a fine light rom
Sheila
Apr 29, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just okay, not as good as the first book. I like the radio setting and the glimpses of old time Chicago. I didn’t like the gangster related plot...too stereotyped as the setting is Chicago. And, I don’t like the immaturity of Viv’s character. I’d like to see some growth. She’s too selfish and Charlie is too good.
Donna
Dec 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
I haven't read the first book in the series, but got this one because it was a holiday mystery. I think it was well written and I will no doubt read the first book, as well as others as they come out.
Ruth Feathers
Nov 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another Viv and Charlie mystery, this time set during the holidays in 1938. A darker mood in this one, with more of the "real world" making an appearance ( mention of Kristallnacht, Chamberlain's appeasement). Gangsters abound in this "holiday" episode.
Barbara Bryant
Nov 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
The plot line pushed my plausibility-o-meter, but when I finished, I decided I don't care if the mystery was far-fetched. I like the Chicago setting, I like the late 1930s time frame, I like the radio focus, I like Viv and Charlie.
Lisa
Jul 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Radio personalities in the 1930s in Chicago provide interesting characters for this mystery. Vivian finds an envelope in her father's office and through some detective work with her friend Charlie finds more than she perhaps wanted to know. Entertaining.

NOTE: I read the advance reader copy.
Mia
Sep 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
I liked this book but I felt like the first one was better. Vivian was really getting on my nerves in some parts. I just wish that Vivian would get over herself at some points. Charlie is a great guy. Stop second guessing yourself!!!
Julie
Feb 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Quite a fun series. Waiting for the next edition.
Peggye O'Neil
Feb 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Viv and Charlie solve the mystery of an envelope of money found in her dead father's locked desk. Viv is not happy with what they find out.
Beth
Oct 14, 2018 rated it liked it
good, slow start , but maybe because it was book two? also didnt realize the time period right away
Apr 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
It kept me guessing and I loved the Viv and Charlie storyline.
Erocchio
Oct 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I liked the radio history as well as the characters. Good mystery and clever dialogue.
Jenny
Dec 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Mystery set in Depression Era Chicago at Christmas. Entertaining and readable.
nikkia neil
Mar 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: edelweiss
Thanks Edelweiss for this ARC.

A great holiday read when it's just turning hot and humid here in louisiana. This series will bring a smile and laugh to you while being not too sweet. I like the twists the plot takes going along with the love affair being Viv and Charlie. Great series and hope to read more soon.
Vanessa
Dec 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is only book 2 but I love this series so much. I really feel like I’m in 1930’s Chicago. Since I actually live in the city it feel very familiar to me. I can’t wait to read the next one.
Jessi
It's the Christmas season but Vivian is not so merry. She's back at the family mansion for a command performance and has stumbled on a secret key in her father's study. It's a key that opens up a drawer that has been locked for eight years, since her father's death. In it, a mysterious envelope filled with cash. But it has disappeared when Viv next goes back to look for it. It's a mystery that Viv isn't sure she wants to explore, delving deep into the last few weeks of her father's life. Even th ...more
Jane Marchionna
Jan 21, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Miss Dimple and the Slightly Bewildered Angel
  • Thread the Halls (Mainely Needlepoint, #6)
  • Let Darkness Bury the Dead (Detective Murdoch #8)
  • A Cast of Falcons (Birder Murder Mystery #3)
  • The Corpse at the Crystal Palace (Daisy Dalrymple, #23)
  • Death on Lily Pond Lane (Hamptons Murder Mysteries #2)
  • No Pity For the Dead (Mystery of Old San Francisco #2)
  • An Act of Villainy (Amory Ames Mystery #5)
  • Brooklyn on Fire (A Mary Handley Mystery, #2)
  • Deadly Scandal (Deadly, #1)
  • Wagging through the Snow (A Melanie Travis Mystery)
  • The Coniston Case
  • A Cajun Christmas Killing (Cajun Country Mystery #3)
  • The Serpent and the Scorpion (Ursula Marlowe Mystery #2)
  • Louise's Dilemma (Louise Pearlie, #3)
  • Not a Creature Was Purring (Paws & Claws Mystery #5)
  • Murder Between the Lines (Kitty Weeks Mystery, #2)
  • Death Comes to the Fair (Kurland St. Mary Mystery, #4)
Born and raised in Ohio, Cheryl Honigford has been writing stories since she could read (and telling stories even before that). She received her BA in Journalism, with a minor in English, from The Ohio State University.

She is the author of The Viv and Charlie Mystery series which includes The Darkness Knows (2016), Homicide for the Holidays (October 10, 2017), and Dig Deep My Grave (August 2018).

C

Viv and Charlie Mystery (3 books)
  • The Darkness Knows (Viv and Charlie Mystery #1)
  • Dig Deep My Grave (Viv and Charlie Mystery #3)