Start by marking “Homicide for the Holidays (Viv and Charlie Mystery, #2)” as Want to Read:
Homicide for the Holidays (Viv and Charlie Mystery, #2)

Homicide for the Holidays

(Viv and Charlie Mystery #2)

Deck the halls with suspicious deaths…

A hidden key that opens a drawer locked for the past eight years, a mysterious envelope filled with cash, and a threatening note... none of this is what rising radio star Vivian Witchell expects to find in her late father’s office. But when Vivian stumbles into trouble, she hardly knows how steer herself back to safety. With the hands
Published October 10th 2017 by Poisoned Pen Press (first published October 3rd 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Homicide for the Holidays, please sign up.
Jan Vickery I had the same experience, so I won’t be reading the first book in the series, but I did get the third......don’t know when I will get to read it, tho…moreI had the same experience, so I won’t be reading the first book in the series, but I did get the third......don’t know when I will get to read it, though. So many books, so little time!(less)

Start your review of Homicide for the Holidays (Viv and Charlie Mystery, #2)
Veronica
Jan 16, 2018 rated it really liked it

Vivian Witchell's star has been on the rise at WCHI radio in the two months since the first book in this charming series. She's got a lead role in the station's most popular radio serial and her picture regularly appears in the entertainment papers, usually in connection with her dashing male co-star, Graham Yarborough. It's a fake relationship drummed up by the publicity department but of course the general public doesn't know this. Neither does Charlie Haverman, the P.I. who made Viv
Lynn
Dec 02, 2017 rated it liked it
This was fun, and pretty much what I expected from the title: A light, enjoyable read with a plot that never lagged, set at an interesting point in the history of Chicago. It was fun, too, to read about places that are still around, particularly the Aragon Ballroom, where I’ve been many times - though of course it really was a ballroom at that point. I’ll probably read the next in the series.
Cathy Daniel
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. Maybe not quite as much as the first but still 5 star. I do hope to see more growth from Vivian in the next book. It's ended with her telling a non truth so she is still not being very mature to Charlie (who's too good for her!) I will be frustrated if she doesn't grow up by book 3!
Marlea
Feb 07, 2018 rated it liked it
I really like the characters in this series, most of the time. Vivian sometimes grates on me with her childishness, but I really enjoy all of the others. I also think the author does a really great job creating imagery, making for a pleasant read.

I have a few gripes with this book:

1. I wish she hadn't used Al Capone. Everything about this series feels fun and vintage and using a well known mobster cheapened it for me. I can't really pinpoint why, but it did.

2. The size of the book is terrible.
Elaine
Dec 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
I had to pick this book up and see what it was about since it takes place during the holidays and that is my favorite time of the year. And the story was good. The author did a good job of taking me back to the time when this took place. I felt like I was watching an old black and white movie. It was great! I would read another book in this series, for sure!
Chris Leuchtenburg
Nov 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Although the milieu of 1930's radioland is unusual, this is really just a run of the mill mystery with the usual soupcon of romance. But after reading a book about African American history (a continuing tragedy), reading a brutal Dennis Lehane mystery recommended by a misguided friend, and watching and reading the news (more depressing every day), it was exactly what I was in the mood for. Light, sweet, and satisfying.
Rosemary Miller
Dec 28, 2017 rated it liked it
A little slow moving but good historical background of the 30's.
Susan
Radio actress Vivian discovers a hidden secret about her long-deceased father. She hires Charlie, the private detective whom she's been falling in love with, to help her investigate. As she gets closer to the truth about her father, she also finds that she's in danger. I wish Honigford hadn't told so much about the solution to number 1 of this series--there are people who don't read series in order, and who might feel discouraged from reading the first one, which I also enjoyed.
Barbara
Nov 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was quite a fun read. Vivien Witchell is now the star of "The Darkness Knows"--a somewhat romantic mystery soap opera. (As in the author's first book of the same name.) It's Christmas and Viv is reliving the melancholy memories of her father's death several years before. She explores her father's death, finds a key to a locked door and discovers a lot of cash and mysterious scribbles! The investigation begins. Viv investigates the cash and whether or not it is connected with her father's de ...more
Cheri Ruble
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Homicide for the Holidays is a delightful although sometimes wistful holiday mystery set in the Chicago radio theater world at the end of 1938, amidst the uneasiness of world events prior to World War II and following the fast rise and fall of Al Capone. Vivian Witchell is a rising radio star, determined to make a life and career for herself while forging through a variety of challenges and a fledgling relationship, all of which she meets head-on with various degrees of success. Cheryl Honigford ...more
Mayda
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Secrets and mysteries seen to follow Vivian and she just can’t let them go. When she accidentally finds a hidden key in her deceased father’s study, she sets in motion a chain of events that will affect her family forever. Vivian is torn is several directions as she deals with her budding career, a shame romance with her co-star, a desired relationship with her absent private detective friend, and her constant battle for independence from her mother. Her father was the bright star in her life, a ...more
Shelley
Oct 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Viv stumbles onto a secret her dead father kept for years, and it's putting her life in danger. Once again, the details of 1938 Chicago are fantastic--it makes me feel like I'm there. And because I know the city, I could picture all the cross-streets mentioned and imagine what it was like 80 years ago. It's mostly the same buildings, just different occupants.

The mystery was interesting because the murders were almost a decade earlier, but I enjoyed the twists and turns. I wish Viv had been more
Ellen Lindseth
Apr 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
I picked this up because I enjoyed the first title in the series, and because I enjoy historical mysteries with a touch of romance.
Honestly, this installment in the series wasn't as strong as the first one, but as the author admits, this is her first stab at writing a series, and it shows. There was a fair bit of unnecessary recapping of the first book, but not enough to ruin the story. The romance is still there between Viv and Charlie, which was a definite plus for me. She also had some clever
Grey853
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Set during the late 30s, right before WWII, Vivian is home for the holidays. She's feeling very melancholy and missing her father who passed eight years before. When she finds a hidden desk key in his study, she also discovers an envelop of cash and a threatening note in his desk drawer. That sends her on a very dangerous trail as she tries to figure out who her father really was.

I truly enjoyed Vivian and this book filled with varied characters. Honigford does an excellent job of detailing a c
Barb Martin
Jun 19, 2018 rated it liked it
There are no fresh bodies in this second installment of novels featuring Vivian, screamer-extraordinaire of "The Darkness Knows" fame. However, we do have a fresh(ish) mystery to solve.

Warm, fuzzy feelings at Christmas of her deceased father prompt Viv to enter his study where she finds something strange. Was her father not the man she thought he was? Is her kid brother's girlfriend a total witch? Who is that guy following her?

Although not as charming as the first book, this was a fine light rom
Miriam Holsinger
Feb 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I liked this book even more than the last one - now that I know Viv and Charlie I really appreciated the depth Honigford develops in their characters and their relationships. The plot moved along at a wonderful pace and the details Honigford gives about the era was just delightful. My grandmother would have been two years older than Viv during this time and she also wasn't in a hurry to get married so it was wonderful get a more vivid picture about what the world was like when she was in her twe ...more
Sheila
Apr 29, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just okay, not as good as the first book. I like the radio setting and the glimpses of old time Chicago. I didn’t like the gangster related plot...too stereotyped as the setting is Chicago. And, I don’t like the immaturity of Viv’s character. I’d like to see some growth. She’s too selfish and Charlie is too good.
Hope
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-reading
I love this series so far. Viv and Charlie are a great team! MORE PLEASE!
A lot happens in this book regarding character development. Viv learns some hard truths about her life.
In the last book, Viv had some memory lapses that bugged me, but in this one, it didn't so much. I think it's actually a good indication of the human condition.
I love the period details.
Sharon
Nov 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
I liked this book--the time period and the setting--but I got really frustrated with Vivian. She spent too much time keeping secrets and overthinking or jumping to conclusions. I wish she had just been honest with Charlie about Graham. I had not read the first book but there were enough references to it that I easily followed along with this sequel.
Ruth Feathers
Nov 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another Viv and Charlie mystery, this time set during the holidays in 1938. A darker mood in this one, with more of the "real world" making an appearance ( mention of Kristallnacht, Chamberlain's appeasement). Gangsters abound in this "holiday" episode.
Donna
Dec 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
I haven't read the first book in the series, but got this one because it was a holiday mystery. I think it was well written and I will no doubt read the first book, as well as others as they come out.
Lisa
Jul 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Radio personalities in the 1930s in Chicago provide interesting characters for this mystery. Vivian finds an envelope in her father's office and through some detective work with her friend Charlie finds more than she perhaps wanted to know. Entertaining.

NOTE: I read the advance reader copy.
Mia
Sep 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
I liked this book but I felt like the first one was better. Vivian was really getting on my nerves in some parts. I just wish that Vivian would get over herself at some points. Charlie is a great guy. Stop second guessing yourself!!!
Barbara Bryant
Nov 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
The plot line pushed my plausibility-o-meter, but when I finished, I decided I don't care if the mystery was far-fetched. I like the Chicago setting, I like the late 1930s time frame, I like the radio focus, I like Viv and Charlie.
Cara
Dec 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Meh. This was my annual check-out from the holiday display, and it had some charm, but the non-mystery plot between the characters went in some tedious circles. I don't particularly love or empathize with the main character. The Chicago history was a mixed bag of fun, interesting, and overdone.
Gloria
Dec 29, 2019 rated it liked it
I grabbed this book off the library shelf of Christmas books for a fun quick holiday read, not realizing it was second in a series. Although not completely necessary, it would have been better to read The Darkness Know first, as the background is referred to often for at least the first half of this book. Having said that, this book served its purpose. It was an easy to read story in an interesting time and setting. I liked it and will probably go back and read the first before I read any future ...more
Julie
Feb 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Quite a fun series. Waiting for the next edition.
Apr 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
It kept me guessing and I loved the Viv and Charlie storyline.
Beth
Oct 14, 2018 rated it liked it
good, slow start , but maybe because it was book two? also didnt realize the time period right away
Erocchio
Oct 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I liked the radio history as well as the characters. Good mystery and clever dialogue.

• A Lady's Guide to Gossip and Murder (A Countess of Harleigh Mystery #2)
  • Ask Me No Questions (A Lady Dunbridge Mystery #1)
  • An Act of Villainy (Amory Ames Mystery #5)
  • A Stroke of Malice (Lady Darby Mystery, #8)
  • A Medal for Murder (Kate Shackleton, #2)
  • Death in the Stars (Kate Shackleton, #9)
  • The Secret Life of Anna Blanc (Anna Blanc Mysteries #1)
  • A Woman Unknown (Kate Shackleton, #4)
  • The Ghost of Christmas Past (Molly Murphy #17)
  • Death Comes to Bath (Kurland St. Mary Mystery #6)
  • The Winter Garden Mystery (Daisy Dalrymple, #2)
  • Murder in Bloomsbury (Atlas Catesby #2)
  • Hark the Herald Angels Slay (A Year-Round Christmas Mystery, #3)
  • A Lady's Guide to Etiquette and Murder (A Countess of Harleigh Mystery, #1)
  • Murder on a Summer's Day (Kate Shackleton, #5)
  • Murder at Morrington Hall (A Stella and Lyndy Mystery, #1)
  • Murder Knocks Twice (Speakeasy Mystery #1)
  • In the Shadow of Vesuvius (Lady Emily #14)
Born and raised in Ohio, Cheryl Honigford has been writing stories since she could read (and telling stories even before that). She received her BA in Journalism, with a minor in English, from The Ohio State University.

She is the author of The Viv and Charlie Mystery series which includes The Darkness Knows (2016), Homicide for the Holidays (October 10, 2017), and Dig Deep My Grave (August 2018).

C

Viv and Charlie Mystery (3 books)
  • The Darkness Knows (Viv and Charlie Mystery #1)
  • Dig Deep My Grave (Viv and Charlie Mystery #3)