Start by marking “A Strange Scottish Shore” as Want to Read:

(Emmeline Truelove #2)

Scotland, 1906. A mysterious object discovered inside an ancient castle calls Maximilian Haywood, the new Duke of Olympia, and his fellow researcher Emmeline Truelove, north to the remote Orkney Islands. No stranger to the study of anachronisms in archeological digs, Haywood is nevertheless puzzled by the artifact: a suit of clothing, which, according to family legend, onc ...more
Published September 19th 2017 by Berkley

Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
I have not read the first book in this series so I was not sure what to expect when I started to read this one. I didn't even know that Juliana Gray is a pseudonym for Beatriz Williams (who I haven't read anything by, but have a couple of books to read). However, I quite liked the beginning of this book which starts off with Emmeline Truelove traveling to the Orkney Islands. That she tends to see her dead father and the late Queen add more intrigue to the story. Then, I discovered that this is n ...more
Caz
I've given this an A- at AAR, so that's 4.5 stars rounded up.

When I read A Most Extraordinary Pursuit, the first of Juliana Gray’s historical mystery series featuring the intrepid Emmeline Truelove, I wasn’t – at first – quite sure what to think.  There’s a mystery, yes, and a bit of romance… but I wasn’t expecting the time travel element or the fact that the heroine has regular conversations with both her deceased father and the late Queen Victoria!  In the end, however, I enjoyed the story, wh
Sophia
A Strange Scottish Shore is book two in the Emmeline Truelove series. I started with the first book, had some niggles so cautiously picked this one up to see if it improved for me by giving the series another chance. It's a blend of genres that is usually an all-systems go for me: history, mystery, strong female lead, compelling side characters including a potential romantic interest, and a dash of the sci-fi just when I wasn't suspecting it.

Mmm, yes, but no. I was no more enamored with the seri
Angie

I enjoyed this even more than the first! All the same quirkiness and spunky characters with so much wit. Still full of surprises and a bit more romance here than book 1.
Recommended to readers who want a little something different!
Quirkyreader
Aug 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this as an ARC from Penguin Random House. Thank you.

I thought this book was a fun an interesting read. The big bonus it helped me keep my mind off pain related issues.

It was a mix of many genres, Science Fiction, Fantasy, Romance, and Historical fiction. It's perfect for fans of "The Sterkarm Handshake" and Outlander series.

The Lit Bitch
Sep 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Sometimes you pick up a book in a series and immediately know you are going to love it. That’s what happened with this one.

Just the cover and title alone was enough to entice me to read this one and next thing I know, within a couple of pages, I already know I desperately need the first book in the series.

For a number of reasons though, not just because I liked Emmeline Truelove and wanted more, but mostly because I felt like I needed to know more about what was going on with the characters and
Caz
I've given this a C- for narration and an A- for content at AudioGals. I gave it the same grade as the book because the narration was so distracting (and boring) that I felt unable to make a proper judgement of the story in audio.

Why do audio publishers employ inexperienced narrators to work on major releases by big-name authors? I know everyone has to start somewhere, which is why I make a point of picking up audios using first time – or very early-in-their-careers – narrators; there have to be
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
I very rarely pick up books out of order in a series but since time was short and I really wanted to read this, I took a chance and dove right into the somewhat murky waters that is this series.

Being that I at the time was craving the historical setting of Scotland, it was hard to resist such a story. I can say without a doubt that while I don't like just diving into a series, I did so with this one with relative ease and little discomfort.

What I didn't expect was this not to be your typical h
Lee
I enjoyed the first EmmelineTruelove book. As I said in my review, it didn’t, however, leave me on a satisfied high. I picked up the sequel hoping that the problems I had with book number one would all be solved. Well… Let’s just say I still wasn't completely satisfied.

One problem I had with the first book surrounded Silverton, the love interest. I was unsure about him for most of the first book. I didn’t know whether or not I should be cheering him on, or perhaps my loyalty should have sat with
Aug 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm loving this series and am bummed I'll have to wait another year or so to read the next one! The books are sort of Outlander meets Amelia Peabody. They're less researched and lighter than either of those series, but the heroine, Emmeline Truelove is smart, brave and just a little bossy, like Peabody. Good fun, highly recommended if you like historicals.
Cherie
I liked the story enough to continue, but my belief suspension mechanism may be affected.

Nice narration.
Jaclyn
Juliana Gray's Emmaline Truelove series is a bit of a surprise for me. When finishing the first book I was surprised by how much I liked it considering it had the one fantastical element that I avoid like the plague in my fictional adventures: time travel. I suppose that Gray just handles it in a way that appeals to me, which is a good thing considering that this element plays a much larger role in the second book than it did in the first.

In A Strange Scottish Shore Emmaline has traveled to Sco
Debra Jeakins
Jul 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A STRANGE SCOTTISH SHORE(EMMALINE TRUELOVE #2) BY JULIANA GRAY is the second book in the series but for me its the first I have read. The book delves into multiple genres; romance , mystery, time travel and the paranormal. To some that would be too much but I loved it and cant wait to read book one and the next in the series to see what's going to happen. Emmaline is an incredible strong woman who does what she wants even though it does not blend into the timeline she is living at the moment. Th ...more
Nafiza
My first book of the year left me feeling slightly bemused. I enjoyed the first one immensely because of what it offered me: a mystery, an intriguing protagonist, some satisfying chemistry between the protagonist and a dashing character. The second one in this series is decidedly not in the same genre.

I somewhat understand why and how the novel plays out like it does. But for all the times Emmaline is told Silverton loves her, I never actually felt it. Emmaline's willing slide into domesticity
Sharlene
Aug 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
If Indiana Jones and Nancy Drew had a daughter it would be Emmeline Truelove. I love this character so much and enjoyed the continued adventures of Emmeline, Silverton and Max, the Duke of Olympia so much.
This book has everything in it I love; mystery, time travel, a spooky castle set on cliff in Scotland, great characters. I could not put it down and are eagerly looking forward to more Emmeline adventures.
Janie
May 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
If you read the first book in this series (and you should before reading this one), you'll be surprised. The very pleasant and entertaining themes that show up in the first book are energized and powered up for this second book! It's a strong read that opens up the perspective of time travel to make this second installment a major time-travel episode. I found that unexpected -- but powerful. Good read!
OpenBookSociety.com

Brought to you by OBS Reviewer Daniele

Synopsis:

Cheryl
Sep 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Truelove and Silverton are back again. I enjoyed them together in the first book. In this book their relationship is reaching the next level. They made a good couple. Some of the witty banter between them makes for some entertaining and charming moments.

This new mystery that Truelove and Silverton encounter had me intrigued. Readers may be familiar with legends of selkies. As the legend goes, if someone captures a selkie's skin, they possess the selkie. The selkie can't return to the water unle
Kathy Heare Watts
Mystery, suspense, with a touch of paranormal.

I won an uncorrected proof advanced reading copy of this book during a Goodreads giveaway. I am under no obligation to leave a review or rating and do so voluntarily. So that others may also enjoy this book, I am paying it forward by donating it to my local library.
Linniegayl
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really loved this! I'll admit I didn't expect time travel when I read the first in the series, so if you're not prepared for that this won't be the book for you. Hopefully I'll write more about this later, but for now I'm just hoping the author plans to continue the series. I do want more of Emmaline and Silverton! And Max!
April
A Most Extraordinary Pursuit and A Strange Scottish Shore by Juliana Gray make interesting audiobooks to listen to if you're here for historical romance. Read my full review here
Renee
I loved Truelove & Silverton! I enjoyed the banter & love story that developed between the main couple, the time travel aspects, the mystery, the excellent story-telling & the Audible narration. Perfect choice for a day of chores & grading papers.
Cathi
Dec 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really have to learn to read the first in a series before the second. This is a second. I will be reading the first as soon as I can get it.
Donna Bresnak
Aug 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received this book for free from goodreads., and I am so glad.

I began to read and was immediately pulled into the lives of the characters. I thought this was a stand alone book, but it is on in a series. so I stopped reading this until I had read the previous two books. the stories were wonderfully creative, the characters were interesting enough that once I had finished this book I immediately hoped that Juliana gray would write another one.

I heartily recommend this book for historical fictio
Deb
I picked this up during a quick trip to the library for a new read, not realizing it was the second in the series. I didn't miss the first, but now I definitely do want to read it - and the ones that follow. Characters are lovely, the writing and language are stellar, plot is interesting and unusual and thrilling at times. Would be a great book-club read because there is much to discuss.
Louise
Aug 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This Emmeline Truelove novel picks up several months after the ending of the first. This one went in a direction I wasn’t expecting at all, and I’m not sure where this series will go next. I really enjoyed it though, and am hoping it won’t be too long before the next one in the series comes out.
Orangeflo
Ok, you can say I am conflicted about this book... and I found myself mulling over it in the wee hours of the morning...
Last night, reading the last pages and finding myself in the sort of mood that makes me itch to just stare in the nothingness of the last blank page, I was considering the options.
1- it's me, not you. The writing is good, characters interesting... so maybe there is something wrong in me...
2- it's a marketing problem: I was expecting a quirky historical mystery with a dash of ti
Denise
Aug 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best book ever. Thirty pages from the end and I still had no idea how the story would end. This was not a cookie-cutter book. It was masterly written. Part history, fiction, and fantasy. I will recommend this book to everyone.
Betty
Aug 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book more than I thought I would. I am not a fan of time travel books, but found I was so involved with the characters that the fact they went from one time to another did not bother and was not too jarring.
Amanda
*Advance copy courtesy of NetGalley* I really enjoyed this book but I would caution readers that it is waaaay different from the first book in the series. The time travel aspect that was introduced in the first book comes into play in a major and unexpected way in this one (I can’t say much more without giving anything away, sorry!). The romance between Emmeline and Lord Silverton continues and evolves which was my favorite part of the novel. I have no idea what is going to happen with book 3, b ...more

• Death Wears a Mask (Amory Ames Mystery, #2)
  • Imperial Scandal
  • A Purely Private Matter (Rosalind Thorne Mysteries, #2)
  • No Cure for the Dead (Florence Nightingale Mystery #1)
  • Far in the Wilds (A Spear of Summer Grass, #0.5)
  • This Side of Murder (Verity Kent, #1)
  • A Book of Scars (Breen and Tozer, #3)
  • Murder at Half Moon Gate (A Wrexford & Sloane Mystery #2)
  • When Falcons Fall (Sebastian St. Cyr, #11)
  • The Other Side of Midnight
  • Scandal Above Stairs (Kat Holloway Mysteries, #2)
  • A Death in the Venetian Quarter (Fools' Guild, #3)
  • The Wages of Sin (Sarah Gilchrist #1)
  • The Unsuitable Secretary (Ladies Unlaced, #4)
  • Ghostly Murders (Stories told on Pilgrimage from London to Canterbury, #4)

Emmeline Truelove (2 books)
  • A Most Extraordinary Pursuit (Emmaline Truelove, #1)