Start by marking “Pick a Pine Tree” as Want to Read:
Pick a Pine Tree

Pick a Pine Tree

A festive read-aloud brimming with all the joy and excitement of Christmastime -- beginning, of course, with picking out a tree!
Part of the magic of the Christmas season stems from the traditions that families and friends take part in every year: hanging up stockings; putting lights in the windows; and, one of the most important of all, picking out and taking home the
Published September 19th 2017 by Candlewick Press (first published September 17th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Pick a Pine Tree, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pick a Pine Tree

Start your review of Pick a Pine Tree
Calista
This is a rhyming story for very young children about the holiday and putting up a tree for Christmas. The Artwork was colorful, very bright which I like, but the people look strange. It was ok. There was diversity here, a little. It is a simple story, not much here for adults reading.

The kids are a little old for this book and they thought it was ok. The nephew gave it 3 stars and the niece, who is hard on books she thinks are too ‘baby’ for her, gave it 2 stars. It’s a nice story and I
Whispering Stories
Nov 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Book reviewed by Stacey on www.whisperingstories.com

Pick a Pine Tree is about a family going to choose their Christmas tree. From taking it home, choosing where to put it, which decorations to put on it, to then putting it up for the Christmas holiday’s and enjoying it. The book covers everything that goes into getting that perfect tree.

Whether it is just me, but where I live, although there are places to go and choose a real pine tree (local ones are normally in pub car parks), they are nothing
Ivy
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this book. It's a wonderful, whimsical tale of a family choosing a Christmas tree and bringing it home to decorate it. The illustrations are gorgeous, the rhyming is beautifully written and there's so much diversity depicted by the illustrator in the family and their friends. It's absolutely beautiful - everything about this book. It gets you in the right Christmas mood. It's also a perfect Christmas gift. I really enjoyed this.

Kathryn
Dec 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Amazing, wonderful, whimsical and oh, so Christmasy.
Brenda Kahn
The cover of this bouncy little Christmas picture book sure is pretty! Literally wrapped up with a sparkly, red bow and featuring lush and lovely pine trees. When I first considered the cover, I thought it might be similar to a holiday favorite at my house, Night Tree by Eve Bunting(1994), in which a family "decorates" a tree in the woods with edible ornaments each Christmas season. Not so, this but it will still make for a solid Christmas favorite with it's jaunty rhyme and retro illustrations.
Kirsten
A charming read-aloud for Christmas about picking out and decorating a Christmas tree. I liked the bright stylized illustrations and the bouncy text. The human characters have skin of varying shades.
Nov 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful, whimsical tale of a family choosing a Christmas tree, bringing it home, and decorating it. Just a side note, there is a lot of diversity depicted by the illustrator in the family and their friends and it is natural and beautiful and I just highly recommend it!
Becky
Dec 01, 2017 rated it really liked it

First sentence: Pick a pine tree from the lot--slim and tall or short and squat. One with spiky needle clumps, scaly bark, or sappy bumps. Long, straight limbs or branches bent--mmm! Just smell that piney scent!

Premise/plot: A family picks a pine tree and takes it home to decorate for the Christmas season. The story is told through rhyme.

My thoughts: I really enjoyed this one. I do NOT like real trees. In fact, the idea of being in the same room with a real tree is terrifying because I'm so
Vicki
Oct 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture
The romanticized version of putting of the Christmas Tree. I love this idea of going into the woods or tree lot to buy a tree, but wondered as I read how many people/families just go down into their basement and get their artificial tree out? I've done that for almost 30 years with the same artificial tree.

However, back to this book demonstrates the step by step way to put up a freshly cut tree - with friends is the most important thing. Lovely illustrations.
Becky
Oct 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
So Jarvis is totally going to be an illustrator I look out for, particularly for the spreads of turning out the lights and seeing the fully decorated tree. I had holiday cheer chills. Decorating the tree is an absolute favorite holiday task. It's something that I used to do with my grandma and something that I've always done with my family, only missing a time or two when I was out of town. So this book... this book is magic.
Mary
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Love this book! From the beautiful illustrations including a sparkly bow on the cover to the wonderfully written rhyming text, I thoroughly enjoyed this family's trip to pick out a pine tree for Christmas. Perfect gift for the holiday season (or as a gift to your child's school library)!!
Michael Fitzgerald
Dec 01, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
This book does very little to justify its existence. There are a couple of attractive illustrations, but they are the exceptions. The text is dull.
Gretchen
Oct 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
From the shiny ribbon on the cover to the warm last page, this read will make your Christmas glow.
Bethe
Jan 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
practically a how to guide for Christmas trees - rhyming text and delightful illustrations make it a must for holiday collections.
Mercedes Wood
Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-library
Lately, I've started thinking about Christmas and Winter, even though October is not over. This book has only intensified my excitement or thinking about Christmas. I adore it, and I think it is a perfect book to prepare kids for Christmas, the perfect read. I could maybe see it as one of those books that you read annually, a tradition in the making.
Ellie Morland
Oct 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
I think children in KS1 and KS2 would enjoy this book when the festive season is coming up. It really gets you in the Christmas spirit. Firstly, it includes references to the senses, helping children to imagine. I particularly enjoyed the references to the different characteristics of a tree which could lead to discussions based on the seasons and different types of trees. Mostly, i hope this book gets children excited for Christmas.
Lucia
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
What's not to love about a book about pine trees getting picked for an important job. Lovely illustrations.
Lisa Marie
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
The illustrations are everything! <3
Maci Dierking
Dec 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Very cute kids Christmas book. Definitely for little little kids. The illustrations are beautiful.
Busy Mummy
Perfect Christmas book to celebrate the ritual of decorating your home and Christmas tree. Lovely rhyming text and warm whimsical illustrations. Can’t wait to read this to my boys before we pick our tree.
Strawberry
Oct 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a lovely and fun picture book for Christmas! This hardcover book is a little shorter in length, but a bit wider, than an A4 piece of paper. It’s filled with thick matt pages with lots of colourful illustrations which I just love! It’s hard to see from the picture of the cover but the title as well as the red ribbon on the side are actually sparkly, giving this book an extra Christmassy feel.

The story of ‘Pick a Pine Tree’ is such a simple one but something that so many kids will love to
Alex  Baugh
Dec 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
The anticipatory excitement of picking out a Christmas tree, buying it, and taking it home to decorate is captured perfectly in this story about a family of four as they set off on their tree buying day. At home, the furniture is moved around, the trunk of the tree is trimmed to fit the stand, and the decorations are brought down from the attic. When everything is ready, the family hosts a decorating party, inviting all their friends to help trim the tree with bright lights, jolly Santas, ...more
Linda
It's going to be a fun afternoon or evening because it's time to "Pick a Pine Tree" as Patricia Toht shows readers in her happy rhyming story from the first piney whiff to the final turn-on-the-lights time. Illustrations cheer in the best holiday way with sparkles and tinsel and happy children all through the story. Some pull the tree home on a sled; others tie the tree on top of the car for a longer trip home. Then the fun begins. One lovely idea is first to invite friends over to trim the ...more
Erica Sirotich
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A sweet, lyrical snapshot of one of the most-loved traditions of the Christmas season--picking just the right tree, bringing it home, decorating it, and waiting for Santa to arrive. I love the language in Toht's books. It glistens with beautiful, surprising, and simply perfect word choices, and has a cadence and rhythm that make you want to sing, not read, the words on each page. Jarvis's illustrations are an absolute delight, and have a nostalgic and timeless feel to them, even though the style ...more
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Toht, Patricia Pick a Pine Tree. PICTURE BOOK. Illustrated by Jarvis. Candlewick, 2017. $17.

Celebrate the joy of picking and decorating a Christmas tree with this delightful book. Beware - if you read this to anyone, they will want to immediately go out and get their tree, invite guests over to help decorate and not even grinches will be able to avoid the Christmas spirit.

Pre-K, EL (K-3), GIFT - ESSENTIAL. Cindy, Library Teacher
Heidi
Dec 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
In this old-fashioned feeling, enthusiastic look at the time-honored tradition of choosing and decorating the Christmas tree, Toht has created a fun read aloud. The rhymes work well with a nice rhythm and cadence and the illustrations are bright and cheerful, indicative of the season. For those just getting ready to celebrate this tradition this book is a fun precursor. It's also a great introduction to a tradition that many may not be familiar with.
Teresa
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Going to a Christmas tree farm is a tradition that holds great memories for many people. Patricia Toht’s book encapsulates not only magical appeal of the ritual but has the power to brighten the dreary post-holiday months of January and February by bringing back those memories with each reading. The fun rhyme both enlivens the reading and lulls you into a cozy mood, making it as enjoyable to read during the Christmas season as any other time of the year.
Gina Perry
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Oh, to be a child again and see the wonder and magic of Christmas. Jarvis' dreamy illustrations transport you to childhood, and Patricia creates the same magic with her rhythmic story. Children will enjoy looking for all the extra details in the story. A perfect story time read to fill the days (and bedtimes) before Christmas.
Katie Fitzgerald
The text in this book is pretty generic, and some of the lines of verse are unmistakably awkward , but the illustrations are festive and attractive. Since we have an artificial tree, this was a fun way to introduce my kids to the experience of going out and choosing a tree without having to endure the allergy symptoms I would exhibit if I were to bring a real tree home myself.
Jana
With lyrical, rhyming text and lovely illustrations rendered in pencil, chalk, and paint and colored digitally, this awesome picture book celebrates the joy of picking the perfect tree and decorating it with friends and family. This is definitely a terrific book to have as part of a holiday collection to share with young readers.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Dasher: How a Brave Little Doe Changed Christmas Forever
  • Last Stop on the Reindeer Express
  • Truck Full of Ducks
  • Sweep
Patricia Toht once owned a children’s bookshop called Never Never Land before turning a love of books into a love of writing. Pick a Pine Tree is her debut picture book. Patricia Toht lives in Chicago, Illinois.